• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Ancient Magus' Bride

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonsandphoenix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I personally find Chise to be the most interesting character and the emotional core of the story, though that could be because I went and watched the OVAs after watching the first episode and then read the manga. The OVAs especially did a great job at showing us how Chise came to be how she is in the 1st episode. So yes, this is undeniably her story of healing and coming to develop a sense of self-worth, which in relation to her relationship with Elias, serves to make him way more interesting too.

People's complaints so far about her may be stemming from the somewhat lackluster visual execution of the anime, which is totally valid. I felt that we could totally get into her headspace in the manga and I find that I get her more as a character going into this.

I quite liked this episode mostly due to the dragons and introducing Lindel. I decided to rewatch and found that I liked it more the second time around, mostly because of the soundtrack so it has that going for it I guess. I like Magus most when we're exploring and immersing ourselves in its world and magic, so I don't know if I would love a more plot-driven and action based story, which I guess we're kinda going into in the next few episodes, but eh, the concepts and magic-building in it are still pretty cool so what the heck.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Dragonsandphoenix wrote:
I felt that we could totally get into her headspace in the manga and I find that I get her more as a character going into this.

The manga seemed to do a much better job of making the reader/viewer feel like they were slowly uncovering a magical world through Chise's eyes. In the anime, it feels much more like we're an outside observer watching someone passively react to a magical world unfolding around her, and I think that's why anime Chise comes across as having so much less agency than manga Chise.
Niello

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:14 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Dragonsandphoenix wrote:
I felt that we could totally get into her headspace in the manga and I find that I get her more as a character going into this.

The manga seemed to do a much better job of making the reader/viewer feel like they were slowly uncovering a magical world through Chise's eyes. In the anime, it feels much more like we're an outside observer watching someone passively react to a magical world unfolding around her, and I think that's why anime Chise comes across as having so much less agency than manga Chise.

This, pretty much.

Is it just me, or are people having trouble judging the show based on its own merit with just the 3 episodes shown so far, without trying to involve the bias from reading the manga or watching the OVAs. My feeling about this show so far is very similar to how I feel about Shoukoku no Altair adaptation. Good manga, but the anime adaptation could have been handled much better (at least here it's not nearly as bad as how Shoukoku no Altair was treated). And I don't think an anime could be good just by borrowing and thriving on the strength of its source material alone. So far the anime has pretty background visuals and good music, even if not used well (compare this episode to the insert song in MiA and it becomes quite apparent). There's not much else I can say to praise the show as it is.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Here, I feel like there are obvious ways that Chise could similarly be spiced up. She has this special "sleigh beggy" power, and we only had a hint of that with the crystal flowers. But that was pretty meh, other than having a pretty effect. Otherwise, we just keep getting told about her special ability. Every other character who has been introduced thus far has basically had the sole purpose of reminding us that Chise has a hidden "Sleigh beggy" power and that it is really awesome, and most of them have shown interest in possessing her or otherwise observing that power. There's a lot of "telling" rather than "showing" going on here.

The source manga is slow to lay out the details on that, too (so this isn't an adaptation issue), but the progression on explaining it so far is hardly any different from innumerable other anime series (including even some this season!) which play coy about the specifics.

The three episodes shown so far have already given big hints, though: a Sleigh Beggy naturally attracts the attention of supernatural creatures - extremely valuable, since many spells require the help of supernatural entities - and (as seen in both the crystal flower example in episode 2 and with Niven in episode 3) they can essentially overchannel magic, though at a personal cost and uncontrollably unless taught control. In tabletop fantasy RPGs overchanneling magic is such a potent ability that there are usually strong limitations on it and bad consequences if those limitations are exceeded. Same here. What we see her doing with Niven also explains why she would be a hot commodity with mages and alchemists: having her around would practically be like having a walking magical battery pack.

More elaboration on this is coming but again, as with just about any other series out there involving special abilities, it's a learning process.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fantaselion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
This young woman has been the target of abuse her entire life.

The show should have started with that.

It did in the Ova's dude. Try to be more in the know before spouting stuff that you have no idea about.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
fantaselion wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

It did in the Ova's dude. Try to be more in the know before spouting stuff that you have no idea about.

This thread is not about the OVAs. This is about the currently airing show for fall season. If I want to discuss the OVAs I will watch them and find whatever thread there is for that.
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:45 pm Reply with quote
OVAs aren't supposed to be available to mass audience. They were made as promotional videos for manga readers to get with their latest volumes. You're technically skipping ahead to learn things apparently this cour (and some of cour 2) develops.

I don't see any problem with the execution of these episodes on Chise's front. It's done everything to get back into Chise's mindset for me and rekindle my love for the characters and world. I take a bigger issue with some of the scenic shots hanging on slightly too long, which I remember taking me out of it for a moment during the theater viewing.

Disclaimer: I prefer binging so I think of these three episodes as a one hour portion rather than a three week portion.

Last edited by Morry on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Niello

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
fantaselion wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

Something tells me this confirmed my suspision.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:24 pm Reply with quote
The impatience some commenters have for Chise's passivity and slow growth reminds me of the impatience people had with Yona of Yona of the Dawn, in the show's first arc. The problem there was not lack of context--the audience saw Yona watch her beloved cousin murder her father in cold blood and then send his men after her, and everyone understood how completely traumatized she was. But some viewers expected her to go from traumatized sheltered princess to badass warrior by the next episode. I'm glad the show took its time with her development. It was more realistic, and it was all the more satisfying when she finally did take up arms and kick ass.

So get ready for a journey where we watch Chise grow slowly into her own person. You'll cheer for her more at every step.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:29 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
fantaselion wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

This thread is not about the OVAs. This is about the currently airing show for fall season. If I want to discuss the OVAs I will watch them and find whatever thread there is for that.

Well there not going to repeat the information that they put in the OVA's, cause if they did, it would objectively be bad writing. So your argument is kinda invalid.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:52 am Reply with quote
fantaselion wrote:
Well there not going to repeat the information that they put in the OVA's, cause if they did, it would objectively be bad writing.

In Japan, the OVAs were bundled with the sixth, seventh, and eighth volumes of the manga, meaning that the information they contain is primarily intended for people who are much further along in the story than will be covered by this coeur. (Sure, they also showed each OVA episode individually in theaters for two weeks each, but who is going to go to a theater three times over a six week period to watch a series of 20-minute prequel episodes for a manga they've never read?) If the people making a show covering Volumes 1-3 of a manga expect Japanese viewers to know stuff from an OVA that accompanied Volumes 6-8, then "bad writing" should be the least of their worries.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:00 am Reply with quote
@fantaselion

Lol, then maybe they should have just put that content in the show rather than OVAs. Then the show would be better Smile That's the whole point. Any time someone is arguing that the show will work better if you watch OVAs or read the manga, that means the show is flawed. Similarly, when people say the show will get better or a character will probably make sense 3 episodes from now, it means something is probably off now. Maybe the character will get better, but at present it is not. Like I said earlier, there are ways to spice up a suffering character earlier in a show rather than having the audience wait for them to turn things around. Watch Bojack Horseman.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:11 am Reply with quote
@ChibiKangaroo

I agree that the anime should stand alone and you shouldn't have to consult source media. However, in this case I would say that the writing is fine. It tells me what I need to know about Chise. I think that if you want more action or want the story line "spiced up" that this probably just isn't the show for you. It is very likely that it will continue at its current slow pace in providing information and back story, which is fine for me. You may not care for it though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:39 am Reply with quote
Yeah, ChibiKangeroo is practising the most banal kind of commentary: this show isn't doing what I personally want it to do, so therefore the writing is bad. A more mature outlook is exactly what Alan45 has suggested: understanding that shows take different approaches and a certain approach may not appeal to you personally, but that doesn't mean the writing is bad. It just means it's offering something that you personally don't want.

I'm perfectly happy with the approach the show is taking. That's not to say I don't understand why posters like CK feel differently, but it would be nice if there was more recognition that doing something in a way that doesn't vibe with you doesn't = bad writing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:15 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure I've ever seen a series where so many people found so many different things to dislike, with so little overlap among the one thing each person disliked. Smile While I guess I can see why people could dislike these various things, I don't agree with any of them. From where I sit, the bath water's fine and so's the baby. I'm keeping 'em both. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 41