• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nozomi Ent. Launches Kickstarter for Aria the Animation English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:48 am Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

I really don't understand this line of thought. You can clearly read, so why miss out on thousands of great anime just because lack of dub? The acting is factually superior on Japanese audio like 85% of the time as well. I don't understand why people knowingly avoid great anime because of a poor reason like this.

---------------

I have a feeling you wouldn't bat an eye and give them the same speech to those people since they align with your preferences.

Yeah if the Japanese dub was excluded from the release, would you?

Quote:

Having said the above I'm really happy with this news! This anime is always something I thought looked cute but hesitated to ever buy because of the lack of an English dub so I will happily back a little once I'm able to just like I did with Skip Beat as the more Bluray releases and English Voice acting options there are the better to me Anime smile

Kickstarter won't charge until the end of September. I also wouldn't be able to back right now if it charged me today.

Last edited by chrisc1978 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:

Yeah, would you?

Kickstarter won't charge until the end of September. I also wouldn't be able to back right now if it charged me today.

I actually am annoyed when people who prefer English voice acting attack those who don't with name calling with that stupid "W' word or other things. I hate the silly dub vs sub war in it's entirety and Dub fans attacking Sub fans in retaliation for Sub fans attacking dub fans just breeds more hatred in an already fight prone community and just wish everyone would enjoy what they like and let others do the same. I also don't care if someone refuses to buy a game/anime that lacks Japanese voice acting or tell them to "Learn Japanese" or something silly if they ask for Dual Audio. If this particular release for some reason couldn't re license the Japanese auido track for some reason I'd be more then fine with people who prefer that complaining in this thread and just like I prefer English dubs there's nothing wrong with people who prefer Japanese dub as the more options the better to me.

Thanks for that! I was thinking about that but I just wanted to make sure I know I can afford my pledge before I make one as I'd feel bad to increase the funding only to lessen it should I have to remove my pledge.
Bowl of Lentils

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote
This is interesting news because I was just looking up information on Headline Studios the other day. I've heard their dubs for Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars as well as Gokudo and although the performances in both shows are a bit stiff at times they are still pretty decent dubs overall. Interested to see how their dub for Aria turns out.
lemurs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
Sensei Terry Silver wrote:
If there any plan to ever release the 3 OVA "epilogue" that came out a few years ago? Whether as an extra on those blu-rays or a single sub-only release by itself? That might tip the balance and make my wallet bleed money Wink

I think it's a given that once they get around to the Origination they'll add the 3 OVAs. And assuming the Kickstarter goes well, they'll dub those too. But naturally they're focusing on the first series first.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
atyamamoto wrote:
The Kickstarter is for Aria: The Animation (season 1).

btw, this is Ann Yamamoto from Pied Piper Inc of the Time of EVE and Skip Beat Kickstarters. Shawne Kleckner at Righstuf helped me tremendously with both projects, and I've been part of the Aria Kickstarter prep and I'll be part of the Kickstarter from here on out.

Shawne wants to dub S2 and S3 -- but got to make the S1 a success first!

Hey Ann, this is Marco Razz. Ann, since your part of this. Is shipping costs already included in a 55 dollar (and higher) plegde? Or is shipping costs additional?

That sounds honestly amazing if all 3 seasons and OVA's gets dubbed. I hope it turns out succesful.

@those above me, arent Media Blasters recent dubs (Ladies versus butlers, Juden chan) recorderd in NYC? NYAV Post is located in NYC too right? I wouldnt worry to much about the sound.

"As our partner on this project, we have chosen to work with Joe DiGiorgi at Headline Sound as our director, who we have worked closely with as a director and a producer on a number of our titles, including His and Her Circumstances, Comic Party, Boogiepop Phantom, The Third, amongst others. Joe has also handled many well known dubs from classic titles such as Record of Lodoss War, Genshiken, Queen's Blade, and Ikki Tousen. Headline Sound is based in New York City. "

All are pretty good dubs imo. If it wasnt that is was only region A BD discs i would have backed it in a heartbeat. I gues I've to wait and see if MVM will re-release it with a dub or maybe from AUS.

I second Lodoss War as a good dub, the OVA one, that is. Although technically, Headline didn't dub that one, it was done by National Studio, which also handled Iria. Headline worked on the TV series of Lodoss, which isn't as good as the OVA, sadly. It suffered from a lot of inconsistencies in casting and performances. The voices of Ashram's minions are particularly bad, and I was disappointed that Wagnard's VA was replaced, and for Deedlit to drop out for two episodes. Sitll, Crispin Freeman and Angora Deb did help.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
So what happens if this Kickstarter fails(hypothetically speaking; it looks like it is succeeding)? Are people just going to never watch Aria because there's no dub?
corinthian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
So what happens if this Kickstarter fails(hypothetically speaking; it looks like it is succeeding)? Are people just going to never watch Aria because there's no dub?

I'm guessing RightStuf picked this title because it did well when it didn't have a dub.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
For people acting like Headline is some unknown studio, they gave us His and Her Circumstances, long considered one of the greatest dubs ever produced. Their style is generally more subdued than other studios, but that makes them perfect for Aria.

I still want to know what happened to the lead male VA. I can't find any information about him and he seems to have disappeared altogether.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
corinthian wrote:
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:

I'm guessing RightStuf picked this title because it did well when it didn't have a dub.

I'm guessing Rightstuf picked this title because they were giving HD materials with the caveat that it has to be hard subbed. I am only speaking for myself here but I do not buy hard subbed BD... having a high quality picture is pointless if it can only ever be obscured. My DVD copy of Nichijou has some free BDS with them. I played them once for a few seconds and that was enough for me... I honestly don't understand how people support sub only BDs in a medium where visuals are paramount.

"Just learn Japanese." Then you don't need subtitles at all...How does that work? Also, it's only a sub/dub debate question as far as "dub BDs get a free pass because Japanese producers aren't as worried about Japanese consumers importing in dub/inferior products."

It's still honestly called "dual audio" on DVDs because they are audio tracks to the same visuals. The Japanese producers win if you consider two pictures with two different language tracks the same.... or one muddled picture in Japanese being on par with the pristine unmarred one.

As for those dubbed shows by Headline Studios, those are all dubs a least ten years old or more.... or in the case of QB: Rebellion, not very good. Those actors have moved on... or literally moved to a different state... so when I said I would not know what it could sound like, it means I don't know who they would cast these days.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
It still slightly annoys me that people only seem to think the the ONLY reason a person can prefer English voice acting is because they are too "lazy" to read, when for many, myself included it has nothing to do with the unwillingness to do so and everything to do with disliking Japanese voice acting. I'm sure Japanese voice actors are great people but for me personally, 95% of Japanese voice acting is completely insufferable, all those silly hyperbolic "Ear Bleeding" comments people use towards English voice acting well that's how I feel when I listen to Japanese voice acting just minus the silly, hyperbolic words. The high pitching grating whine nearly every female character under 35 is voiced with , the complete hammy exaggeration in delivery so many lines especially in scenes/lines that have no business being delivered with such "Emphasis" all contribute to me being unable top tolerate even 10 seconds of Japanese voice acting in most cases and I just can't take it seriously and why there are many things I refuse to watch if there's no English voice acting.

I did not know that that was your reasoning for preferring English dubs. While I agree that in most anime series the Japanese voice actors sound too unnatural to the point of potentially bothering the viewer, there are exceptions. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju is an amazing adult drama that will probably never receive an English dub. But if your problem with Japanese dubbing is the caricature/exaggerated delivery, that is not a problem with SGRS because the Japanese voice actors in it speak like normally people speak.

And I am not trying to change your mind. I am saying that you should not generalize all Japanese dubbing in anime. I am very receptive to watching anime with English dubs, but some of them, especially older ones, are not very well done. As examples, Revolutionary Girl Utena (one of my all time favorite series) has an English dub, but I refuse to listen to it because I have heard that it is kind of bad, and the Japanese voice wok is top notch. A few months ago I watched RahXephon with the crappy English dub it has and throughout my watching I thought: "I wish I had access to the Japanese dub because this English voice acting kind of sucks."
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Headline's first dub, Lodoss TV wasn't bad, but it did have SOME bad performances in it, but there were good ones. It's a mixed bag of a dub. (The Lodoss OVA dub, as I said, is the superior dub, although as mentioned, National Sound did that one and they had more experience than Headline did at the time.) However, I'd argue that His and Her Circumstances, Gokudo, Comic Party, Genshiken, Madara, The Third, and Shingu were all good to decent dubs, so I wouldn't write them off altogether.

His and Her Circumstances is a definite winner in terms of the dub; Veronica Taylor turning in arguably her finest performance ever as the female lead.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Nearly all the new blurays from Sentai, Viz, and Funimation feature locked subtitles, and it's been that way for a couple of years now. In fact, the only releases from Funimation that don't feature locked subtitles all come from Toho, or come from a period before it became a licensing requirement.

Also Toei as Dragon Ball Z Kai The Final Chapters, Dragon Ball Super and the One Piece Gold releases are NOT locked, which for Kai is surprising considering the differences between both international & Japanese broadcast/BD versions.

Quote:
The only company that doesn't lock their subtitles is Aniplex, and that's because they are owned by a Japanese parent, and their releases are often just imports of the their release.

With Expelled From Paradise, ironically also from Toei, being the only exception here.

I personally don't mind locked Blu-ray subs but it gets pretty annoying seeing this on DVD-only Sentai titles like Gatchaman II & Fighter had recently.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I really don't understand this line of thought. You can clearly read, so why miss out on thousands of great anime just because lack of dub? The acting is factually superior on Japanese audio like 85% of the time as well. I don't understand why people knowingly avoid great anime because of a poor reason like this..

Let's clarify one thing right out the gate. You may prefer the Japanese voice acting but that does not make it factually superior. The voice acting is subjective to those listening to it and in the language of their choice. You choose to prefer subs and the native language while plenty others prefer dubs.

As for not understanding the line of thought of not wanting to watch subs, it's not rocket science. What's so hard to understand about people wanting to listen to a product in their native tongue when possible? What's so hard to understand many people find it harder to watch the show and give it their full attention when they are also reading subtitles? Subtitles that often are not up but for a few moments so not only do you have to read you often have to do it quickly just to get them all. Let alone read them and keep track of what is going on in the show. Plus, as others have mentioned some just do not like the Japanese voice acting often. That's no different than those who do not like the American VA's. Anime is a form of entertainment and should be viewed however is most entertaining to that viewer. There is nothing inherently inferior from one method to another. It's a personal preference and hardly a "poor reason".
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Let's clarify one thing right out the gate. You may prefer the Japanese voice acting but that does not make it factually superior. The voice acting is subjective to those listening to it and in the language of their choice. You choose to prefer subs and the native language while plenty others prefer dubs.

...Anime is a form of entertainment and should be viewed however is most entertaining to that viewer. There is nothing inherently inferior from one method to another. It's a personal preference and hardly a "poor reason".

Agreed 100%! Smile I have no problem with people who prefer to watch their anime shows subtitled. If anything, this is why I often ask gaming companies if they could include Japanese audio (if possible) in their JRPGs, so that many gamers can enjoy their preferred language option.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
As for not understanding the line of thought of not wanting to watch subs, it's not rocket science. What's so hard to understand about people wanting to listen to a product in their native tongue when possible?

When people flat-out say they won't watch a show if there's no dub. The show this thread is dedicated to is from 2005.

We're not having the billionth insipid discussion about acting here; this show has existed for 12 years and apparently, a small group of people have decided for themselves they never need to see it if it's not in their native language. What in the what.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6