• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are So Many Anime's English Titles Total Nonsense?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
Selipse wrote:
nechronius wrote:
Let's not forget the 800 pound gorilla of awkward titles for recent popular anime.

Attack on Titan.

It's definitely awkward, but probably not because of why you think so.
spoiler[It's not supposed to be "Attack of the Titans" or anything similar.]

Honestly, I absolutely love not-grammatically-correct titles as long as they sound cool. Attack on Titan, for example, really rolls off the tongue. I'm also sure that sometimes the creators are well aware that they're not entirely correct. The Japanese just love to play with language.

Attack on Titans
Attack of Titans
Titan Attack

Not trying to second guess what the purpose of the title was supposed to be beyond imperfect grasp of a foreign language. I also considered the difference in the way singular/plural distinction is made in Asian languages.

I always considered "Titan" to be acceptable as plural, akin to "Pokémon." It's more Funimation's fault for making the title sound like Titans are the victims, as opposed to the literal translation as "Advancing Giant."
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Wellll...Boogiepop Phantom's Japanese title is longer, "ブギーポップは笑わない Boogiepop Phantom" (Boogiepop wa Wararanai, the title of the light novels). And Boogiepop Phantom is the name of a character in the show, an apparition created by the the events of that fateful night who believes itself to be Boogiepop but renames itself out of respect for the genuine article. It was Phantom who hid the evolved children, Boogiepop who got stabby.

True, but that original title, directly translated, would've more-or-less been "Boogiepop Does Not Laugh" or "Boogiepop Never Laughs," which is definitely a more informative (and less silly-sounding) title for someone who doesn't know anything about the series.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I always thought Cowboy Bebop, Bubblegum Crisis, Blue Gender and Neon Genesis Evangelion were some pretty out-there titles when I first started watching anime. Smile Now they seem downright quaint.

Cowboy because while they are bounty hunters they are also refered to as Space Cowboys, and Bebop is a type of jazz, the show while not about music, takes great importance in it. And Jet who loves Jazz names his ship after it.

I don't know how you could look at my screenname (or I yours) and think I don't know all that about Bebop. Smile But regardless of how apt these titles may be, if you haven't seen their series, they just sound delightfully weird, like Fooly Cooly.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I always think of the 1989 racing manga/1990 OVA that was for whatever reason called "Goddamn!!". Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fatt_One

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I always thought Cowboy Bebop, Bubblegum Crisis, Blue Gender and Neon Genesis Evangelion were some pretty out-there titles when I first started watching anime. Smile Now they seem downright quaint.

Cowboy because while they are bounty hunters they are also refered to as Space Cowboys, and Bebop is a type of jazz, the show while not about music, takes great importance in it. And Jet who loves Jazz names his ship after it.

I don't know how you could look at my screenname (or I yours) and think I don't know all that about Bebop. Smile But regardless of how apt these titles may be, if you haven't seen their series, they just sound delightfully weird, like Fooly Cooly.

I could be wrong, but I always thought Fooly Cooly was named after the sound of hands groping breasts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I hear ya. There are so many titles out there that almost make me start twitching from how badly they mutilate basic English structures. What really gets me are the titles that just ThRoW cApItaL leTtErS everywhere, a la CLAMP, or those teeth-grating random semicolons in that series of visual novels. Ugh. The best part is how so many people out there will absolutely crucify local distributors for a flubbed line, while blissfully ignoring the fact that the original franchise butchers their own language all over the place.

You're telling me you don't like any of that?

Son, I am disappoint. Mad
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
Probably the worst I've ever seen is Mahou Shoujo-tai Arusu [translated as Magic-Girl Squad: Alice] somehow becoming *shudder* "Tweeny Witches."

It certainly makes it hard to suggest this show to adults!

Nijuu Mensou no Musume literally translates to "The Daughter of Twenty Faces." Nijuu Mensou is a well-known character in Japan. He's the Moriarty-like villain in a series of detective stories written by Edogawa Rampo. In the anime he is more heroic, rescuing young Chizuko, an orphaned heiress later nicknamed "Chiko," who is being slowly poisoned to death by her greedy aunt and uncle. The official English title for the show is "Chiko: Heiress of the Phantom Thief." While Chiko is an heiress, she most definitely is not Nijuu Mensou's daughter nor heir but becomes his surrogate daughter. Nor does she need his inheritance; she has plenty of wealth of her own.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I just googled it your name, it is unlikely that I am going to remember a username someone used in a show that showed up for only a few seconds. You are the first person I've met who knows where my name came from, even big bebop fans ask me where I got it from(I obviously lie and say i came up with it): Wink
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Encouragement of Climb always amused me. Same with I! My! Me! Strawberry Eggs! and Plastic Little.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
For you strange punctuation pleasure, there is the manga A, A' (pronounced "A, A Prime"). Really good manga, but the first time I saw that title, I kind of looked at it and went "huh?"

Actually, the improper usage of English resulting on hilarious outcomes reminds me heavily of Peepo Choo. Not the title in this case, but within the series, there's a Japanese character obsessed with American gangster movies and he learns al of his (very limited) English through them. So in the first volume, he kills this dude and carves the words "SO/COOL/GROOVE/DEAD" into the guy's chest and acts like it's the coolest thing while all the English readers are looking at it going "my god, he's so bad at it!" Of course, this series has the distinction of being done by an American (who was living in Japan at the time), so he did it on purpose.

Also reminds me of the name Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes. I read somewhere (I forget where though, been a while) that Suda51 specifically picked the name to sound cool to the Japanese but stupid as sin to English speakers. It worked. Also unusually, the second game in the series doesn't even have a Japanese dub, not even in Japan (it's subtitled for them using the English dub)
nechronius

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:
As I said, none of those is what the title is supposed to mean.
spoiler[The last one would actually work if it was switched around. Though it would've still gotten people saying it was weird English until the reveal. Laughing]

I'm quite up to date on the manga so I know what you're talking about.

It's still awkward and even in that context it's still poor English. But hey, that's ok. Its success or failure is firmly in its own control and has nothing to do with the janky English title. I agree it does flow off the tongue easily as-is.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:56 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I just googled it your name, it is unlikely that I am going to remember a username someone used in a show that showed up for only a few seconds.

But, but...you remembered Marshal Banana. oO It wasn't up any longer than Gina was (ok, maybe half a second longer, since Ed types slower than Ein can think), in the same episode! Smile
nechronius

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
I always considered "Titan" to be acceptable as plural, akin to "Pokémon." It's more Funimation's fault for making the title sound like Titans are the victims, as opposed to the literal translation as "Advancing Giant."

Pokemon is an invented Japanese word in the past few decades so they set the standard for using it as singular and plural. Titans as plural however goes back farther in its common usage by an order of magnitude at least. If you choose to accept "Titan" as plural that's fine, but you'd still be wrong.

Not questioning the aesthetics or flow of the title. "Attack on Titan" flows well and has been its accepted title from the start. But that wasn't the original subject of the Answerman question.

If Attack on Titan was being genuine, it should have been an epic far future sci-fi series about interplanetary war for control of Saturn's largest moon or something.
Fullmetal Archivist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:06 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
I never got into Bleach but was there ever any explanation as to what that title was suppose to mean or why the author named it such?

To me the question on why Bleach was called Bleach was answered early on during the manga. spoiler[You see Ichigo commented on how teachers and classmates would find him to be suspicious because of the color of his hair. They thought he *bleached* his hair due to its color which is why Ichigo would try and be a good student so that he would look less suspicious.] To me this always made sense for the title after this conversation and fit in with the theme of Ichigo trying to prove himself whether it was as a protector, a student, or as a Soul Reaper.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Some of my favorite weirdo titles are
"Destiny of the Shrine Maiden". Why not just call it "Priestesses of the Godless Month"?
".Hack//SIGN". Is this some kind of code??

Funny enough Geneon did release Destiny under the original Japanese title Kannazuki no Miko. I assume Sentai went with the translation title because Destiny is one of the story's themes. The more literal title is probably a bit more culturally obscure to non Japanese. I didn't even know that's what the title meant until I read the trivia section here.

.hack// is a classic unusual title. I think it's meant to emulate an internet TLD.

One title that's always baffled me was Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ why the series went so flowery with its title over the original VN's more simple Phantom of Inferno is beyond me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8