• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do You Get Over Anime Burnout?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Justin wrote:
I think the first step to combatting that is to stop trying to keep up with current shows. Your time is valuable, your sanity is finite, and frankly, the odds of you being able to successfully predict which shows will end up being worthwhile aren't very good. Wait a season or two, listen and find out which shows people are still talking about months after they stopped airing. THOSE are the ones that, generally, are worth your time.

This is... very questionable advice at best. Unless the OP (and Justin) are very much unlike myself, better than three quarters of what people are "still talking about" are shows that don't interest me in the least.

The best thing to do is limit what you watch. Check the news and early reviews to find out what you might be interested in. And be willing (and able) to drop whatever shows you don't enjoy.

And erase that backlog queue. All it does is feed into a cycle of guilt for never watching any of it.

Indeed. Just read the synopsis of all the shows and watch the first episode of any that interest you then keep going if it manages to hold your interest. Seeing what's being talked about months later wouldn't really work since everyone got different taste. I for one couldn't find the appeal for most of the heavy hitters last year (re:zero, Yuri on ice, descending stories) while a show that went completely under the radar and basically forgotten was my number one anime of the year (flip flappers).
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Since I know that "anime" is a medium I don't get a "burnout" of it. I find stuff that's interesting and stuff that is not. True, you shouldn't watch stuff randmonly, that applies to any type of medium: I don't read books randomly, watch movies randomly or listen to music randmonly. I have the genres I like and I will watch the titles of the genres I like.

Burnout happens to people who, for some reason, appear to think anime is an homogeneous thing and watch stuff almost randomly. Hence, it would be like listening to music completely randomly or movies, of course one would get a "burnout"! That is, not enjoy it. So, try to be more selective and watch only the type of stuff one enjoys. I personally like 4 things: Masterpieces (of any genre), Cute Girls Doing Cute Things, Science Fiction and Military Stuff. I only pay attention to stuff that can be classified among these genres or quality levels.

I wouldn't consider myself an "anime fan" in the way, I regard myself as a fan of something it has to be more specific than a medium. But I have been technically an anime fan since I was 4 years old, so that's 24 years.

Also:
Justin wrote:
Heck, one of my old favorites, Dominion Tank Police, has aged rather questionably, and now that I'm in my mid-30s it's much clearer to me that its intended audience was basically 12-year-olds.

It was adapted from an adult manga published in this obviously adult magazine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Animal_Arashi, by the way I watched it recently and it's better than >80% of the stuff out there. Very funny stuff written by the author of GitS, highly recommended.

@ ultimatehaki , there was a fair amount of talk about Flip Flappers, also my top pick for 2016. Very cool show with a lot of artsy/experimental elements.

Last edited by Jose Cruz on Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
@ ultimatehaki , there was a fair amount of talk about Flip Flappers, also my top pick for 2016. Very cool show with a lot of artsy/experimental elements.

I was just talking from the perspective of the general anime fandom, if comparing Yuri on ice or re:zero to flip flappers fan ratio its like 100:1. The blu ray sales also talk. Flip flappers didn't even crack 1000 sales.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

True, but the traffic and posts on a lot of, if not most, online forums has declined drastically in recent years. Some of the forums I frequent use to be able to regularly arrange group viewings, and there regular discussions about new shows. A lot of them have dried up, and only a core group of posters remain. Even the forums here at ANN don't get as much discussion as their Facebook and Twitter posts do.

The forum posters haven't died off, they just moved. Reddit.com's anime section is always bustling with life. Any show you'd want to talk about, they're talking about in exhausting detail over there.

There were a few years that I dropped anime almost completely but I've been back in a few years now, basically since simulcasts became a thing, and I just learned to drop everything that doesn't have me running home after work excited for the next episode. That means I might only have two shows I watch a season. That's fine. There's so much entertainment out there for us now there's no need to settle for shows that are just "okay."
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I've personally never experienced a burnout. Anime has played a huge part in my life (as you may be able to guess from my current location) and I still regularly watch something every single day. If there's nothing from the current season to watch one day, I'll maybe go back and rewatch an episode or two of something from past seasons.

Having watched anime for over half my life, I've got a good idea of what types of series I enjoy so I don't often end up watching things I dislike. For stuff that's outside of my usual tastes, I rely on reviews on ANN to make decisions on whether or not to try something out. It generally works out well.

DeTroyes wrote:
I burned out of anime in the mid 00's, and more or less stayed that way for several years. But one day I happened on a few episodes of Blood +, and before I knew it I was back in.

Funny that you mention Blood+ since I stumbled upon the series while going through what's available on Amazon Prime. I had already watched it when it first came out and really enjoyed it. I've been skimming through select episodes the past few days and it's still a great series, just long. (Anime nowadays are so short in comparison to 10 years ago.)
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

True, but the traffic and posts on a lot of, if not most, online forums has declined drastically in recent years. Some of the forums I frequent use to be able to regularly arrange group viewings, and there regular discussions about new shows. A lot of them have dried up, and only a core group of posters remain. Even the forums here at ANN don't get as much discussion as their Facebook and Twitter posts do.

The forum posters haven't died off, they just moved. Reddit.com's anime section is always bustling with life. Any show you'd want to talk about, they're talking about in exhausting detail over there.

Some have. I know many that have completely left online forums, and only post on social media now.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ah yes, burnout. It happens to all of us at some point or another.
????

Thank goodness more people are coming out to say they've automatically paced themselves; We seemed to be sitting all alone at a tiny table, for awhile there, with this one. I counted 2 people before me who said they had always watched anime without issue; I wrote my comment, signed in to post it, and 2 more such comments had been added.

Still...5 out of 40 some. How on Earth do so many people have this kind of obsession?

I'm watched anime since I was a kid and I've never gotten sick of it. Anime is animation from Japan; It's the same as any other medium. I've loved animation all of my life and I've watched many different kinds; Pacing yourself in anything you enjoy is something that should go without saying.
redranger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching anime since the days of the pokemon craze and about 10 years ago I discovered torrents and realized I could watch whatever I wanted. For the vast majority of that time I'd probably watch anime EVERY day. I'm fortunate to say that the only burnout I suffer from has to do with GARBAGE. Years ago I'd easily be able to sit through/finish a crappy anime. Nowadays I just can't stand to watch crap. I tried watching Kumorokuro a few months ago and I nearly killed myself trying to finish it. Now I'm slogging through Cyborg 009 Call of Justice. It pains me to leave things unfinished so some anime I don't give a chance anymore. But give me an Arslan, Beyond the boundary, or Redline and I'll get just as excited and enthusiastic as I've ever been.
gsilver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:23 pm Reply with quote
At this point, I don't exactly feel burnt out on anime or anything, but more that I want to watch higher quality stuff... and a big part of that is making me wonder if I should stick entirely to bigger-budget OVAs and movies, and only watch TV series in very special cases (heck yeah, I'll look into whatever Masaaki Yuasa, Shinichiro Wantanabe or Hiroyuki Imaishi make... but I'm OK with watching zero shows in a given season)
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:
Still...5 out of 40 some. How on Earth do so many people have this kind of obsession?

Simple, beats drugs (both illegal and legal) 10 out of 10 times. I suppose even I could get burnout if I finished all series I start, but sooner or later some get dropped (or delayed months at a time, I am looking at you Macross Delta). Someone I know binged the Ranma 1/2 TV series, I am fan of said series since I watched the first episode raw on an umpteen generation vhs, but I do realize half of it is filler (most of it of the noxious kind) and many of the chapters from manga chapters are also lousy. He stopped watching anime for about a decade, seems he is starting to watch some again now. Anime is no different than food, there are limits, even for the most gluttonous among us. So my advice would be:

Watch what you like*. i.e. I think nowadays it must be hard to find a teenage anime fangirl that does not recommend (reads as, attempts to force feed you) Yuri on Ice. But if it is not your thing, drop it as soon as you realize you are not enjoying it. Also, Justin's comment about Tank Police being for 12 years old kids reminded me, I will admit that I watched Tanken Driland (first season) knowing beforehand that it was made for said demographic, but it pushed many of my buttons, so no regrets; I watched it completely, something I can't say from similar series like Fairy Tail.

*Burnout prevention is just as important as treating those already afflicted.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
The way I avoid burnout is to be incredibly ruthless in dropping shows. As soon as I realise I'm not enjoying it - dropped.

First episode doesn't grab me - dropped.

Gives me a bit of a queasy feeling when I hear the premise - dropped without ever watching (so never watched Scum's Wish as I don't enjoy watching people act self-destructively).

Realise that it's 7 weeks into the new cour and I've only watched the first 2 episodes of a show - dropped (unless I'd explicitly decided I wanted to binge it).

Decide I'm bored after 50 episodes - dropped. On a related note, feel that I'm grinding the show (i.e. watching just for the sake of watching) - dropped.

I do the same with non-anime. Watched 6.5 seasons of the Walking Dead, and decided that it just didn't work for me any more - so dropped. Same thing with games - if I realise I'm just grinding away and not actually enjoying it anymore - dropped (although I may come back if they release new content).

Sure - it's possible I may miss out on some quality things - but I've been watching anime for ~30 years and one thing I've learned is that there's no show that I absolutely have to watch. Well, except for Kiki's Delivery Service - that's required watching every now and then.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching anime for about 6 years, and in that time, according to my ANN list, have seen about 800 of the things. So far, I have yet to experience burnout. How much I actually watch ebbs and flows, and how I consume anime changes all the time, but I've never just stopped. Unless you count just being too busy and not having time for a couple of weeks, in which case, sure. But I've never felt tired of this medium, or not wanted to see what else it had to offer. And I still have yet to see many fan favorite things. I don't know if I'll ever experience burn out. At least not in the way people describe it. I'll just keep finding new interesting things to try out. Maybe I'm just easy to entertain? Eh, good for me, I guess.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:09 am Reply with quote
I can definitely say that burnout happens a lot faster when you're in the industry itself or you write for it. I was the person in charge for the TV Tropes episode recaps for Littlest Pet Shop (2012)(and still am). Writing about the first season was great; I wrote one nearly every day. The second season had me still excited and I wrote an episode recap each week as the episodes came out. The third season started to feel like a chore, and a year has gone by since I did the "Ivan the Terrific" recap and I have yet to get past the cold open for "Game of Groans" (and yes, the show did a Game of Thrones parody). I still like the show, but spending 4 to 5 hours per episode on a recap got to be too much.

Animegunclub wrote:
As someone who personally reviews anime, I can tell you that it helps to diversify your media consumption.

Make time for other forms of media, and write thoughts on those. Movies, Video Games, Books, Actual Sports, Comics, non anime related music... and feel free to branch out to things that aren't necessarily media, like food, beer (if you're old enough).

The more you make time for consumption outside of anime, the more you'll come back to it willingly even if you're packing tons of your free time into binging show after show.

I would concur. The more interests you have, the slower your burnout will be because you have other things to turn to to keep you excited. Unless you're a little kid or you are really, intensely passionate about it, no one can be into just one thing and not eventually succumb to a big crash. (And the ones who CAN be invariably have a reputation for being obnoxious to everyone else because they'll attempt to shoehorn it into every conversation.)

MajorZero wrote:
I've been struggling with the burnout for the past 5 years and I highly doubt this struggle is going to stop anytime soon. You know things are bad when from 550 shows you've seen 510+ have been completed from 2005 to 2012. Honestly, my biggest problem with the burnout is not the fact that I can't watch as much anime as I used to but inability to actively participate in community, I feel like I've lost a link with the majority of my internet friends, we have nothing to talk about anymore. Still, as long as anime will continue to produce films like Your Name and Silent Voice I'll be an anime fan.

A downside to waiting until you know which ones are the really good ones is that you can't really participate in the social aspects of anime, since much of the discussion will be about whatever is currently airing or what will air pretty soon. You'll get locked out of the loop. I personally find the social aspect to be a major part of being a fan of something, and it can be very hard to maintain that and avoid burnout.

And Internet fans will display a lot more of the monomania I described above, not because they're the exceptionally passionate, but simply because it's a place where people can discuss one thing. I mentioned above that I'd recommend being a fan of many different things, and a corollary to that is that you are a member of a number of different communities. That's what I do, and it allows me to gain a broader perspective of people as a whole, especially since there is zero common ground in all of them. (Well, except that it gets very expensive to be a dedicated fan in any of them.)

By the way, I barely watch any anime at all. More than once this year, I've let the Crunchyroll account I use forget the "remember me" thing out of a lengthy period of non-use.

DeTroyes wrote:
Seconded. Life is too short to waste time on stuff you don't enjoy. I bailed out on three shows this past season precisely because I wasn't having any fun with them. Don't feel like you "have" to keep up, because frankly most likely you won't.

Sometimes you just need to step away even from the things you enjoy and try something else; usually, the time will come eventually when you start to miss it, and you'll be back. I burned out of anime in the mid 00's, and more or less stayed that way for several years. But one day I happened on a few episodes of Blood +, and before I knew it I was back in. Just be patient, let yourself relax, and eventually the annoyances and feelings that drove you away in the first place will disappear.

One other thing I always caution fans: there is so much material out there that you can never watch it all, so don't feel overwhelmed. Just stick with the stuff you like, and the rest will work themselves out. Its quite alright to have missed a series everyone else loved (heck, I still haven't gotten around to Fate/Night yet); it'll still be there whenever you get around to it, so don't worry if you're the only one in your group of friends who hasn't seen something.

Anime, like all entertainment, is suppose to be fun. When it stops being so, its time to re-evaluate.

Something else, and maybe it's a bit heavier, but perhaps you have to step back and think if anime is really the sort of thing for you. There may be activities, media, and other things that interest you more, and if you really cannot recover from the burnout, then it may be that you should just let go of anime. Just as you shouldn't force yourself to watch something you don't like, you shouldn't force yourself to be a fan of something you no longer feel any passion for.

I mean, things you were a fan of when you were a little kid--of all those things, how many of those are you still a fan of? (And I don't mean this as anime being an immature thing to outgrow, but rather, that you've had your lifetime's fill of it and it's time to move on to something else.)

explosionforgov wrote:
I also sort of live in a pop culture hole, so to speak, so even if it's famous and well-liked, I probably haven't heard of it. Any tips for rectifying this?

I am in the process of carrying myself out of that. What to do about it varies between media, and it also depends on if you're trying to keep up with what's current or you're playing catch-up with past decades too. (That is, South Park or Family Guy?)

Music: For current stuff, Sirius XM has stations dedicated to whatever is the most requested current songs. They will tell you the name and the artist of each song either at the beginning or the end of the song, and listening to it enough will help you familiarize yourself with it. For older stuff, find a business that'll let you hang in there for extended periods of time with music playing on the radio, such as a café. As I worked retail with such music playing, ranging from Bing Crosby to Bruno Mars, I slowly got familiarized with a lot of songs. Shazam and Spotify give you diverse selections to listen to, but they don't really discern between popular and niche, and they are more about each listener's personal tastes.

Television: For both solutions, a Netflix account, Amazon Prime, and/or a Hulu account will work, but Hulu is the better bet as it specializes in TV programming. All three have a "most popular" category for current popular shows, and for classic shows of the past, there should be user ratings for those too. Look for ones with high ratings AND a lot of ratings, and you'll find classics of the past like The Twilight Zone, Star Trek: The Next Generation, The Honeymooners, and Kim Possible. Broadcast television is handy too for well-known game shows and shows as they air. Except for more recent serialized television, you'll get the gist of each show after a few episodes, even if you might not get popular moments that occur later on in a particular show, such as The Simpsons' "Who Shot Mr. Burns?," or huge changes in a show's look and feel, asis what often happens with Doctor Who. Western animation works the same way: Whatever is popular and has high ratings is likely pretty good.

Movies: The same streaming services will have those available to watch, old and new, but the newest ones will take some time to appearthere after they've finished their theatrical run. The Internet Movie Database Top250 is a good barometer of movies that have withstood the test of time. There are also a few very recent movies on the list too.

Comic Books: This one is tougher, as Comixology is currently the only easily accessible database of comic books, and the Comic Book Crash of 1997 rendered near everything released after that fairly obscure, though there are a few exceptions like The New 52, Darkest Night, and Ultimate Spider-Man. Tastes are also much more subjective here, with the hardcore fans having much more say in the industry's ups and downs than any other popular medium. Golden Age stuff kind of all fuses together, and once you've read a few, you've read them all. Visit a general bookstore, and whatever comic book collections they have there (not the individual issues) has achieved some level of success, then move on to comic book shops if there are any characters and/or stories that you've connected with.

Video Games: This one would be rather expensive to go for, but whatever is popular in video gaming also tends to be the ones that the companies that make them hype the most. For recent games, look at E3 footage over the past few years. They'll show enough gameplay footage of each game to get an idea of what the game is like. Nintendo works differently than the others though, with "Nintendo Direct" videos sprinkled throughout the year that talk about upcoming releases. There are a few that became unexpectedly popular though, such as Minecraft and Five Nights at Freddy's.

Web Original Content: No need to concern yourself with these. There isn't anything that's really penetrated into the mainstream. Ask 20 people who use YouTube a lot about what their favorite uploader is and you'll get 20 different answers.

IN GENERAL: Ask a lot of people about TV shows, music, movies, and such they'd recommend, and tell them to be honest because you want to know what to consume. No one will hold it against you if you're not familiar with something. If you get a lot of the same answer, such as Game of Thrones or Rick & Morty, odds are that's the "in" thing at the moment, and consuming that alone will be a big step up.

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I don't know why, but a lot of anime fans for one reason or another feel compelled to watch all of something, even if they hate it and aren't enjoying it at all. If they watch one episode, they have to watch all of them, no matter how much they aren't enjoying it. This makes no sense.

Socialization. People get compelled to keep watching something they don't like because they fear that if they drop it, they'll get lost in their friends' conversations who might still be really into it.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Um, watch more anime? I don't understand the question as there hasn't been a point in my life where I haven't been watching animation which just happens to be anime these days because of the state of NA animation.

Surely, there's been something you used to be into but you aren't anymore. It sounds like anime is that sort of thing you will never bore of (just as western animation is for me), but for some people, and I'd say most people, anime IS one of those things people will grow weary of with time.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:04 am Reply with quote
I started reviewing for ANN back in late 2004 and have to some degree or another been an anime fan since around 1990. In that time I don't think I've ever experienced what most people would call burn-out - though admittedly there's been a couple of times over the years that I've come close.

My advice on this is pretty much what both Justin and others have been saying: don't overdo it. Anytime you're forcing yourself to watch/keep up with titles for any reason other than being paid for it, you're putting yourself in a danger zone, as that stress factor of spending time on things that you don't have any enthusiasm for mounts up. Trying to keep up with more series than you have time to handle, even if you're interested in them all, is also a big warning sign.

Excepting titles that I'm doing for reviews, if I find myself losing interest in a title, or just find myself struggling to find time to watch a title (even if I am interested in it) then I drop it. I did that to three titles this past season and definitely think I was better off for it. I also like Justin's advice about have a few "old faithful" titles to fall back on for rejuvenating yourself. I do that a couple of times a season, on average, and I definitely think it helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shuffleblade

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:05 am Reply with quote
We are all different so as so many others have said you need to figure out what you enjoy and what works for you.

What works for me is following currently airing anime, there are several reasons this works well for me. In the start of a season I start watching a lot of shows. basically any that seems like they might have any chance of sticking with me. Then I Watch the first episodes as they come out, from there I drop the shit out of the shows. This season I started watching like 20 shows and ended up only following like 6, some series I dropped early and some late depends on when I feel the potential is gone or when I've gotten bored.

The things about watching currently airing anime that is great are;
1) You have very limited content to Watch so you enjoy every episode more and since you see the series in piecemeal pieces it is much harder to discern the direction of the plot. Things that I can see coming from 20 miles away when binge watching a series I often miss when watching one episode a week, its harder to put things together because its so much time inbetween episdes. For fans that have watched tons of anime this can help, it helps for me.
2) Anime runs out, I usually have one backup show (that has already aired in its entirety) that I Watch if my currently watching folder is empty or if I don't feel for any series in there but the feeling of being able to be "done" and to be in phase with your anime watching is Amazing and really help to avoid burnout.

Íf you do lose Control like I sometimes do of my currently watching list due to vacation or whatnot just drop the shit out of it. Seriously, if you drop something that people later say were great you can just give it Another chance then.

Just my advice as to what works for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6