• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Is Coffee Brewed In Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:51 pm Reply with quote
s0nicfreak wrote:
You've never seen anyone have a frappe coffee or Frappuccino?

Well...I've never been to Starbucks or any other coffee shop near my vicinity, so...no, never saw anyone drinking either (photos on social media being the exception).
s0nicfreak

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
s0nicfreak wrote:
You've never seen anyone have a frappe coffee or Frappuccino?

Well...I've never been to Starbucks or any other coffee shop near my vicinity, so...no, never saw anyone drinking either (photos on social media being the exception).

Interesting. Even if I don't go to a coffee shop, I see people walking down the street, riding the train etc. with coffee that has milk in it. If I go to a gas station that sells coffee, they have powdered milk, half-and-half, and creamer but never just cream. And every single convention I've been to has had a Starbucks inside the hotel or convention center, so people walk around conventions with coffee that has milk in it. I also see some people whose coffee could have cream in it and I wouldn't know, but I see coffee that clearly has milk in it way more often.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:41 am Reply with quote
Before I say anything, I should mention that I am caffeine-sensitive, so I don't actually drink coffee. Never developed a liking for it, as a result. (I don't really like hot drinks anyway. I drink all my beverages ice-cold, even when it's ice-cold outside.) So my experience with coffee has mainly been via decaf, and the cold variants thereof. No one in my household drinks coffee, for that matter, so we actually don't have ANY appliances meant to make coffee.

hickey92 wrote:
Coffee machines aren't all that common a kitchen appliance outside of the US in general to be honest. It's definitely not just a Japanese thing. Not in the same way that the Japanese do it which results in better coffee though. Most people I know who drink coffee at home just see it as a means to an end, and stick with instant. They still drink nicer coffee from shops when they're out, but I don't know all that many people that brew at home. I'm in the UK by the way.

You could say the same thing about electric kettles being fairly uncommon in US kitchens, but utterly ubiquitous in UK ones. It sounds stereotypical, but it's because we drink a hell of a lot of tea, and we wouldn't wanna be heating water on the stove every time we needed it. Even though I don't drink all that much tea myself, I still couldn't imagine having a kitchen without one, since they can seriously speed up any cookery that requires you to boil water.

What are the advantages of electric kettles over the traditional kinds you'd put on the stove? Is it a matter of space and portability?

dormcat wrote:
Back in the days when online shopping was not as convenient as nowadays, us international students from Asia were quite shocked and surprised to learn that electric water boilers were not a common kitchen appliance in US, and purchasing one (e.g. Zojirushi) would be neither easy nor cheap.

We all grew up drinking hot coffee, tea, chocolate, powdered milk, instant noodles, some types of medicines, plain warm water, etc., by using hot water readily available in those boilers, so we were somewhat bewildered and confused why Americans would design and purchase machines that could only prepare a single type of drink.

Nope--I had done the hunt for hot water boilers for college myself. I was able to land a good deal, but they are on the pricey side in the United States. I don't know if it's due to its niche status (where the few people who'd buy them are desperate to have them) or if production of American ones are just more expensive, however.

The reason behind their rarity in the United States is simply because, besides coffee, Americans don't boil water very often that isn't in a kettle or a saucepan. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and instant noodles are made for single servings and the hot water would be poured out of a kettle. We strictly buy our milk fresh in liquid form. And OTC medicines here are predominantly syrups or capsules. As for why Americans would have a device solely to make coffee, well, they do ask similar things about Asians and their rice cookers--non-Asian American households typically do not consume enough rice to justify a rice cooker, and any rice they make is boiled in a covered saucepan.

TheAngryOtaku wrote:
I just realized another potentially very significant reason electric coffee machines are not as prolific in Japan is because appliances are often incredibly expensive there, thanks to strict import rules/tariffs. My first summer in Tokyo I bought a regular electric fan, and the least expensive model I could find cost the equivalent of US$ 65. Most were over $100. And no these weren't some technology-loaded smart-fans. They were the kind of fans you'd by at a Wal-Mart in the us for $9.99 or something. So now looking back, I remember what Americans would call "run of the mill" coffee machines at Bic Camera costing something like close to $100. So why bother when the brew-cone from the 100 yen shop does just as good a job right?

Yikes, that's how much an electric fan costs there? No wonder you always see people in Japan depicted as using the regular paper or plastic fans.

s0nicfreak wrote:
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
This brings up another question on cultural differences I've always been wondering: why do Americans put cream in their coffee rather than milk?

I've heard this cliche before but, I'm American and I just haven't seen it! Maybe it's common in some parts of America but not others? I've never known an American that actually keeps pure cream in their house. Some people put half and half (half whole milk, half cream) in their coffee but I'd say milk in coffee is way more common. Milk is certainly more common than cream in purchased coffee drinks. "Creamer" is quite common to put in coffee made at home but that's a vegetable oil based thing.

The other thing is that cream is denser. You can put a lower quantity of it into coffee to achieve the same effect as you would milk. Milk IS a popular thing to put into coffee, however, and no sane American will consider you strange for adding milk into coffee. But yeah, pure cream is actually quite rare to put into coffee, with half-and-half being much more common.

But non-dairy creamer is definitely something that's really popular. I would suspect the reason why is because of the relatively high number of people whose religions prohibit consuming both meat and dairy in the same meal. If they're eating bacon and hash browns for breakfast, they can't have milk or cream in their coffee. Also because of the large amount of lactose-intolerant people. And also because some kinds of non-dairy creamer don't need to be refrigerated.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:29 am Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon

Nah, non dairy creamer is popular because it is cheap and doesn't spoil as fast as milk. As a result it can be left sitting out where people have a communal coffee pot. I doubt it tastes as good, but against the strength of the coffee flavor it may be hard to notice.

Among the people I know, real cream in coffee has been a luxury ever since homogenized milk became a thing. They still call it coffee with cream since that is what they always did but, as people have mentioned it is usually with milk, half & half or non dairy creamer. I wouldn't be surprised though to find that in areas where the dairy industry is close, people still do use cream.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@leafy sea dragon

Nah, non dairy creamer is popular because it is cheap and doesn't spoil as fast as milk. As a result it can be left sitting out where people have a communal coffee pot. I doubt it tastes as good, but against the strength of the coffee flavor it may be hard to notice.

Among the people I know, real cream in coffee has been a luxury ever since homogenized milk became a thing. They still call it coffee with cream since that is what they always did but, as people have mentioned it is usually with milk, half & half or non dairy creamer. I wouldn't be surprised though to find that in areas where the dairy industry is close, people still do use cream.

I see. For the record, non-dairy creamer is used at my workplace because there are a number of people whose religious beliefs do not allow them to drink coffee with dairy from cows for various reasons (it runs out REAL fast), so that's where I got the idea.

So there was a time that cream was cheaper than milk? (I know that's the idea behind city chicken, that chicken was once more expensive than pork or beef.)
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
So there was a time that cream was cheaper than milk? (I know that's the idea behind city chicken, that chicken was once more expensive than pork or beef.)

It's not that cream is/was cheaper than milk - it's that separation and homogenization didn't use to be as efficient (and ubiquitous) as it today. (Plus, back then whole milk actually meant whole milk - cream and all.) So when you bought milk, cream was invariably included. If you let it stand a few hours, a layer of cream would rise to the top and could be poured off.

Non dairy creamer didn't even become widely available until the 1960's.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon

DerekL1963 is correct. Back in the early 1950s my family lived in New Jersey across the road from a dairy farm. We got our milk direct from the cow. Smile It wasn't until the late 1950s when we moved to Pennsylvania that I saw homogenized milk. Until then before you served milk you had to mix the cream back in.

We drank milk with all three meals, soft drinks were very seldom and considered a real treat. Coffee was for adults, my mother didn't think caffeine was appropriate for children.
nargun

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
What are the advantages of electric kettles over the traditional kinds you'd put on the stove? Is it a matter of space and portability?

They're more convenient -- most people leave them part-filled with water, so all you need to do is press the button -- and they're actually faster than the stove top, because 2.4kW.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

They're more convenient -- most people leave them part-filled with water, so all you need to do is press the button -- and they're actually faster than the stove top, because 2.4kW.

Precisely! The broadest ring on a gas hob would struggle to offer a rate of heat transfer offered by a typical electrical kettle. Should one only have an electric hob instead, the comparison is even more pronounced. (According to a documentary at which I once glanced, our national power grid incurs a pronounced spike in demand after the airing of a popular soap opera, simply due to its many viewers simultaneously and habitually running their kettles.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:48 pm Reply with quote
If I need hot water for tea, noodles or coca, I just put the required amount in a glass container and pop it into the microwave. That happens once or twice a week, at most. Certainly not often enough to warrant keeping a dedicated kettle partially full of water.
Nilrem

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Or 3kw for fast boil;)
If you time it right you can pop the kettle on at the start of an advert break, go to the loo whilst it's boiling and make it back to the TV for the end of the break with a cuppa.

They're also safer as they shut off automatically once boiled, so no chance of leaving it running long enough to boil dry and cause serious damage.

I don't think I've been in many houses in the UK that didn't have an electric kettle, kettles on the hob tend to be something you see if the owner is really old fashioned, "hip" with an aga type stove, or there is a power cut and you've resorted to camping supplies.
I think most of the electric kettles boil in about 3 minutes if full (usually 1.7-2L about 3 pints) or under a minute if they only have a cup or two of water in them.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
It's not that cream is/was cheaper than milk - it's that separation and homogenization didn't use to be as efficient (and ubiquitous) as it today. (Plus, back then whole milk actually meant whole milk - cream and all.) So when you bought milk, cream was invariably included. If you let it stand a few hours, a layer of cream would rise to the top and could be poured off.

(alongside)

Alan45 wrote:
DerekL1963 is correct. Back in the early 1950s my family lived in New Jersey across the road from a dairy farm. We got our milk direct from the cow. Smile It wasn't until the late 1950s when we moved to Pennsylvania that I saw homogenized milk. Until then before you served milk you had to mix the cream back in.

Huh, interesting. I actually didn't know at all about the mixing the cream back into the milk. I guess it was before my time.

Nilrem wrote:
nargun wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Or 3kw for fast boil;)
If you time it right you can pop the kettle on at the start of an advert break, go to the loo whilst it's boiling and make it back to the TV for the end of the break with a cuppa.

They're also safer as they shut off automatically once boiled, so no chance of leaving it running long enough to boil dry and cause serious damage.

I don't think I've been in many houses in the UK that didn't have an electric kettle, kettles on the hob tend to be something you see if the owner is really old fashioned, "hip" with an aga type stove, or there is a power cut and you've resorted to camping supplies.
I think most of the electric kettles boil in about 3 minutes if full (usually 1.7-2L about 3 pints) or under a minute if they only have a cup or two of water in them.

I see. I noticed mine was pretty quick...then it went missing, possibly stolen. When I tried looking for another electric water boiler, I could only find them beginning at US$70, with most of them being in the range of US$100 to US$150. I that about how much they are in the UK?
zarzam

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
So if you're having coffee at home, chances are you're using the pour-over method for brewing.

This is the way it used to be done in Brazil since coffee farming started, but with washable cotton filters (looks like a sock on a wire loop). Even now drip machines are not all that common.
zarzam

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:

It's not that they don't function at all, they function but not well enough. Or just well enough for decent coffee, but not quite well enough for decent tea. When my parents - major tea drinkers - were on the US leg of their round-the-world trip a few years ago, they complained greatly about that.

UK outlets have a crazy amperage rating (and they are 220v), so the appliances can be really high-power. You'd need a special plug to run a typical UK electric kettle at full power in the US.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:18 am Reply with quote
zarzam wrote:
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:

It's not that they don't function at all, they function but not well enough. Or just well enough for decent coffee, but not quite well enough for decent tea. When my parents - major tea drinkers - were on the US leg of their round-the-world trip a few years ago, they complained greatly about that.

UK outlets have a crazy amperage rating (and they are 220v), so the appliances can be really high-power. You'd need a special plug to run a typical UK electric kettle at full power in the US.

The only difference between US and UK kettles is the time it takes to reach a boil, both will boil quite handily.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6