• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is Japan's Population Declining?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
lots of words

Eden of the East was heavily informed by the diminishing return of the corporate climb for younger generations; the female lead doesn't burst into tears in that one episode just because that guy spilled food on her suit.

I was pretty surprised at how popular that was in the West given its interest in current Japanese social issues. I was lucky I even understood what it was getting at and I bet there was plenty I missed.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I feel like this is touched on in dozens of anime. Not sure how you could miss them all.

My simplistic solution to this whole issue would be to give substantial tax breaks for every child a couple has and facilitate better and more cost effective child care options. One thing I see cited by many Japanese as a reason that they haven't had any children is a lack of time, and the need to make more money. If some of those issues are alleviated, it could definitely help. Encourage people to procreate. There is very little incentive to do so, on a personal level, right now. In 20 years, if there is still this level of population decline in Japan, I can see it having a much more obvious effect on the young adults who are putting off procreation right now, but as of now, there is no reason to prioritize that when you can just work and spend money on yourself, and your interests.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I think the most alarming statistic about this overall issue is the staggering percentage of young Japanese adults who not only aren't in relationships, but state that they have no interest in having sex. Like, something has to have gone seriously wrong with your basic societal order to kill off the most fundamental biological urge of the species. Even in most first-world countries with (not as precipitously) declining birthrates, people are still (presumably) doing plenty of boinking, just in the non-procreative sense.
Dextres

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Seitokai Yakuindomo is another show where an all girls school had to turn co-ed due to the birth rate.

It's not that otaku men aren't interested in 3D women, it's that 3D women aren't interested in otaku men. That's why we turn to our 2D waifus who will comfort us no matter what. We wouldn't want a women that would force us give up the hobby we love either.

This is really douche coming from me but;

In the end those games are scripted and fiction. Anything that seems like comforting is backstories/illusions/fantasies to self insert into.

It's different regarding real fresh and blood human interactions, relationships(sexual and non sexual) with people and sex.

Although, you are right that no one should be force to give up a hobby they love just for a men or women.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Mr.Shonen wrote:
Immigration will never be an answer. Japan is too nationalistic for that. Also, who's to say that any immigrant groups would be willing to accept Japanese customs/norms. Eventually it would lead to situations similar to those in Europe.

I've heard of instances where *Japanese* people returning to Japan (say from the family being sent oversees by their employer) after a stay of a couple of years are viewed as "less Japanese" than those who don't leave. This is one reason I've heard that the number of people seeking internships at companies or studying abroad for college has been declining fairly steeply over the past decade.

Japan seems to becoming *more* insular over time, not less.

It's been mentioned on this site before, that kind of practice is some of the most backwards dogcrap I've heard in my life. You don't hear that from any other country.
Satoshi Batista

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Mr.Shonen wrote:
Immigration will never be an answer. Japan is too nationalistic for that. Also, who's to say that any immigrant groups would be willing to accept Japanese customs/norms. Eventually it would lead to situations similar to those in Europe.

I've heard of instances where *Japanese* people returning to Japan (say from the family being sent oversees by their employer) after a stay of a couple of years are viewed as "less Japanese" than those who don't leave. This is one reason I've heard that the number of people seeking internships at companies or studying abroad for college has been declining fairly steeply over the past decade.

Japan seems to becoming *more* insular over time, not less.

It's been mentioned on this site before, that kind of practice is some of the most backwards dogcrap I've heard in my life. You don't hear that from any other country.

There was a really good book called Out by an author named Natsuo Kirino. One of the subplots is about a young man of mixed Japanese and Afro-Brazilian descent who goes to Japan to see his father's homeland. He grew up with his father instilling a sense of Japanese pride in him and telling him how great Japan is, but as soon as he gets there he finds that pretty much everyone treats him like they would any other foreigner. The fact that he's ethnically of Japanese descent is completely irrelevant since in the eyes of most people, he's still not Japanese enough.

Last edited by Satoshi Batista on Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Kids cost of lot of money. Wages have mostly stagnated and haven't even kept up with inflation. Whereas the cost of living, especially in Tokyo, just keeps rising.

Of course, that's not just Japan. That's also in the United States where the current generation is to be first generation to earn less than their parents.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
As I said before, Japan may need to be like the UK and undergo a demographic and cultural change. What it means to be "Japanese" cannot be simply about heritage and belonging to a nation state of vaguely defined East Asians.

People who oppose multiculturalism use Europe as an example, but Sweden and Norway are doing perfectly fine. It's just that Fox News and the right-wing EU media exaggerate Muslim behaviour. Most crime comes from natives. Even in the USA, which claims to be a culturally homogenous country, yet is highly diverse. Immigrants in NYC, LA and Miami don't melt into a pot, but they are part of the salad bowl and it does work! Foreigners do better than native Americans. Whilst we have debates about America's role or lack thereof in bringing prosperity for "African-Americans", actual African-Americans are the most educated group in America.

Besides, some argue that immigration into Britain was a way for Britain to pay for what it done to the world. Japan should accept immigration from Asia to show that it has repented for its own sins.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Historically Japan has always been insular and self imposed isolation for several Centuries. apart from the Chineses invasions many Japanese simply didn't know there was a world on the other side of the distant horizons. Though just a few weeks ago in an archeological dig on the island of Okinawa 10 Roman coins were dug up proving that there was at least some foreign exchange involved with Japan even back then. However for many Centuries up until Commadore Parry's forceful lifting of their rock, no one was allowed to leave the islands and anyone who did were never allowed back in under penalty of death whilst any foreign influence was brutally exterminated as corruption.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seishin Jinrou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Declining population is GOOD. The human population tripled in the 20th century to our now unsustainable levels, so all countries should be encouraging such numbers. Endless economic growth is cancer; we can have economic justice, environmental sustainability, and human progress with smaller populations.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Seishin Jinrou wrote:
Declining population is GOOD. The human population tripled in the 20th century to our now unsustainable levels, so all countries should be encouraging such numbers. Endless economic growth is cancer; we can have economic justice, environmental sustainability, and human progress with smaller populations.
"We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile." Laughing
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Seishin Jinrou wrote:

So I take it you're a green? Read up on Stiglitz and his views on economic growth's impact on the environment.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Declining population isn't good if only you're doing it.

If Japan's population drops like a rock, wouldn't it be that much easier for an outside power to push their way in? We should look to stabilize population sizes, and not celebrate the fact one group could be wiped out while others are ballooning.

is it no wonder the first thing Hitler wanted to do was make more babies? More bodies wins every conflict.
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
Declining population isn't good if only you're doing it.

If Japan's population drops like a rock, wouldn't it be that much easier for an outside power to push their way in? We should look to stabilize population sizes, and not celebrate the fact one group could be wiped out while others are ballooning.

is it no wonder the first thing Hitler wanted to do was make more babies? More bodies wins every conflict.

The future belongs to those who show up.
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Once again, I remain very skeptic about this being a reality. If U.S. and Chinese money is that important why haven't we seen much anime aimed American and Chinese sensibilities. Dimension W is the only example I can think of.

I am willing to buy that BD sales in Japan might not be as important to generate revenue anymore, but anime shows with low disc sales generally don't get sequels. I agree that it s important to diversify revenue sources for the anime industry, but I doubt that we (N.A. fans and companies) are making that big of an economic impact.

And if I am absolutely wrong and say 35-40% of the anime industry in Japan is being funded by Crunchyroll, Funimation and other N.A. companies, they should tell Japan to stop with all their shenanigans that force us fans to wait months and even years for domestic, affordable anime BD's.

But then those reverse imports will affect the 60% of the industry funded by Japanese otaku! //sarcasm

There have been a few series over the last few years trying to appeal to American and/or Chinese audiences. The problem is those series don't catch on or don't meet expectations when they do.

I also don't think there are many Japanese manga/light novel authors that have American/Chinese sensibilities in-mind so it's hard to infuse that into adaptions of their work, assuming the production team understands those sentiments themselves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12