• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Magical Girl Raising Project

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Magicloid 44 cracked me up this episode. What a con artist. And considering the general uselessness of her magical power (other than as a means to scam Sister Nana), I wonder how she manages to gather Candies at all.

The magical power works pretty well as a Doraemon reference, that's about it. (Just like how the Peaky Angels and Swim Swim have pretty much the Superfriends' Wonder Twins powers.)

Quote:
I think Snow White and La Pucelle have plot immunity still though.

Well, no.

I had thought it was pretty clear early on that Cranberry was the one alive in the very first scene (largely because of the smile on the survivor there, and another one that Cranberry did later when the halving of the girls was announced.) Obviously the latest episode seals it.

In the first scene Cranberry was fighting against a monster that looked like one from the game. One possibility is that Fav is searching for powerful magical girls for some other reason, such as fighting those monsters, and Cranberry, as the survivor of a previous incident, convinced Fav that this is the best way to find strong ones.
Luke's JRPG Channel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote
The death of La Pucelle was very shocking. I never expected that to happen, I though he would be there until the very end as the protector.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I found this comment from Paul's review of episode 6 a little odd:

Quote:
The sale of the special items also seems kind of gimmicky at the moment, since its only apparent purpose is to test which girls are willing to shorten their lifespans in order to win the game. The items may prove to be significant later on, but they mostly serve as a temporary distraction.

First, the items are a reminder that the experience the magical girls are going through is based on a game, so they service the overall premise. Second, the fact that Swim Swim shaved 25 years off her life to get an item that she then gave to a member of her team because it made more sense is a very significant character point. That showed real leadership and a willingness to sacrifice. The items were also a point of contention between Cranberry and F'av with Cranberry wondering if their presence in the "game" actually weakened it, which is an interesting perspective. And finally, these are obviously going to come into play in later episodes, hopefully in interesting and surprising ways. Bizarre that Paul would view this interesting element as a "temporary distraction."
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
La Pucelle ;_;

Her death was well done, though. I especially liked the part where Souta switches from ware to boku as he realizes that Cranberry seriously wants to kill him, and how he decides to fight Cranberry anyways not because of his oath to Koyuki or his desire to play the hero, but because he can't accept Cranberry's ideal of a magical girl. That and F.a.v's later conversation suggests that the point of the game is to have magical girls fight against the enemies from the first episode, and to ensure a victory determines what kind of magical girl is right: fighting for justice, helping others, or some other ideal represented by the other magical girls.

Now that Alice and Snow White have finally met, I'm excited to see in what other ways they're complete opposites. So far there's white/black, pacifist/killer, power solely useful for getting candies/power solely useful for magical girl battles, and mythologically perfect and slept/curious and mischievous and went on an adventure.

This is definitely the anime I'm most excited to see a new episode of this season!
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote
well, the 6 months thing could either be referring to having a terminal illnes, but most likely, to being pregnant, by how cruel the show si being I will go with the later; another thing that called my atention was that cranbery is hinted of only one magical girl surviving even though we are supossedly only getting half of them killed.

and ehre comes mi minirnt on how I ahte the fact that this show is being adapted from a light novel, because A) it means any spoeculation si either hilarious off for the people that kow the source material or we get things right and people will think we already have read ahead (personally, I prefer to go clea whenever possible and that is the case currently) and B) because it might not get a proper ending :/
zeopower6

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Supposedly all of the first volume which is its own arc is getting adapted in this season, so that is at least going to be wrapped up, but as for the other books... depends on sales and stuff.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:54 am Reply with quote
I'm starting to get a little worried. This episode gave me some pretty heavy Akame ga Kill vibes with the way it foreshadows death by developing characters. La Pucelle's death was fairly obvious as soon as (s)he started having flashbacks digging into his/her ideas about magical girls. Same with the scene showing Magicaloid 44's backstory at the start. Shock value doesn't work very well when every death is telegraphed at the start of the episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
One of the biggest comes in the form of Magicaloid 44 getting killed from behind by Hardgore Alice. It should be a surprising scene, but the show gives it away ahead of time by revealing Alice's ability in the mid-episode title cards.

You don't even need the cards. They basically ruined it from the get go with the yet again immediate flashback. The second Magicaloid showed up and attacked Alice, she was obviously going to be the one to die because Alice obviously isn't going to die before we know a single thing about her. If it were one of the few we actually know a bit about, then that would be different, but nope not unknown Alice.

First Ruler and now Magicaloid, this series really wants to have a twist and yet spoils them ahead of time which removes all the suspense and most of the impact.

I at least was in a bit of suspense over whether La Pucelle would escape for now and die later. Well, until his face was smashed into a wall (and then we even got his origin story pre-death flashback). I didn't expect Cranberry's specs to completely outclass him like that.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:54 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed episode six I though the art direction and animation in Cranberry and La Pucelle's fight Swim Swim got an interesting bit of character development and seeing how Snow White comes out of all this will be interesting as well. Although the Madoka Magica comparisons are starting to feel like how Mecha series had live down Neon Genesis Evangelion in my opinion.

Still this episode definitely raised the bat for the series taking something that might have been disposable and make me care in particularly is the relationship between Top Speed and Ripple it does not get a lot of focus but it is one of the more enjoyable parts of the series for me.
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:19 am Reply with quote
As a trans woman (and with Pucelle being probably Genderfluid) this kind of makes me wanna stop watching. Kill your gays is a cancer and frankly her death was foreshadowed so much it kind of kills tension
Yes I only watched for a queer character and you know what I doubt I'm alone.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:33 am Reply with quote
I agree with some of the other commenters that as long as they are keeping the pattern of showing us how they became magical girls before killing them off, the shock effect is pretty much wasted...which is probably the reason why they raised the blood and gore level that much.

It's a bit of a shame, but this show leaves me strangely cold. I'd expected La Pucelle's death to hit me harder, but there's no time for grief as the show already moves on to the next "shocking" killing. It would also help if the characters could develop a bit more before their bloody deaths...
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:20 am Reply with quote
kefkaownsall wrote:
As a trans woman (and with Pucelle being probably Genderfluid) this kind of makes me wanna stop watching. Kill your gays is a cancer and frankly her death was foreshadowed so much it kind of kills tension
Yes I only watched for a queer character and you know what I doubt I'm alone.

I think that "male character likes magical girls thus is probably genderfluid" is pretty cheap reasoning, unless you just define genderfluid to mean "has any trait other than their sex stereotype." His other comments showed a pretty solid gender identity as male, just one who liked magical girls.

It's not like Sister Nana and Weiss Winterprison.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
the Madoka Magica comparisons are starting to feel like how Mecha series had live down Neon Genesis Evangelion in my opinion.

Do you really feel like this show is trying to avoid those comparisons? It looks to me like it has actively courted them. It's not just a "magical girl show" but "a magical girl show driven by a cute, otherworldly entity, featuring a dark, sadistic twist and a relatively pacific MC." At some point the similarities are so blatant that this show may as well be begging us to compare and contrast it with Madoka. It's just unfortunate that it comes up rather short in that contest, since otherwise it's at least passable.
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:41 am Reply with quote
Regardless her death was foreshadowed so much you expect it to be a red herring.
What gender non conforming (trans) girl pledges that she would die for someone. Might as well have had Pucelle be 2 weeks from retirement
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:44 am Reply with quote
I don't understand the point you're making, kefka; why can't a trans girl (not that that's what La Pucelle is/was, but s/he was at least gender ambiguous in some general sense) pledge that she would die for someone else? That seems like a human trait that cross-cuts gender identities to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 17