• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Berserk Anime's Next Arc to Premiere Next Spring

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
Most viewers were probably looking for resolution to the original series and we haven't yet seen that yet. Hopefully the next series will.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
Most viewers were probably looking for resolution to the original series and we haven't yet seen that yet. Hopefully the next series will.

Nope the manga itself isn't over so the anime won't provide resolution to the story.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
@NeverConvex Miura isn´t closely associated with this show though. Ep. 3 further isn´t written by him, as he was credited on it exactly as he was on ep. 1. Original story, or something.
The actual screenplay wasn´t by him (the worst ep. by far too) and his sole known contribution is 1 painting (i expect a 2nd due to the 2 part dvd release). His sole known contribution to the films were also 3 painting.
The 2 games though were written by him and he also worked on the scripts of the 97s anime, as he is even featured on the dvds in form of an interview. He said that he saw the films (one with Chika Umino), with zero further opinion, so i get the feeling that he decided to diplomatically say nothing.
He may also love them all, who knows, but that´s not what complete silence is usually about...
Even Omega Force indirectly slammed the new anime by distancing themselves from it in an interview but they use the films as promo material for the game, eh. That´s game´s presentation is lastly shaping up to be very problematic, in the very least misogynistic, but the new manga chapters are amazing. So please read it, no matter what.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
You don't think him serving as executive supervisor is a 'close association' with the show?
Enturax

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
God no! The animation is still laggy as hell. Only a few scenes in a few episodes were actually watchable without making you feel like something is wrong.

Next: Guts' face. Who the f*** designed it and why didn't leave it the way it is drawn in the Manga? There are only a few drawn (2D) scenes where he looks similar to the comic, but that's it.

Next: Kick the people who thought that opening and (especially) ending songs were good. No! They're not good for Berserk! And if anyone disagrees with me, just go watch some other normal shounen, because such a light themes are completely unfitting for such a Dark story that Berserk is. And make Susumu Hirasawa make the opening and ending instead.

Next: Fix the damn sound effects! And I'm not talking here about the annoying clang-thing that was kinda fix'd in the later episodes. I'm talking about scenes, like when one of the dudes was being a target for angry people who were throwing rocks at him - there was NO SOUND when that happened! And the animation (even though it was drawn) was awkward as hell.

Next: They should employ some actually good people for the animation. Even the 2D parts are weak - they're all static and when the characters sometimes actually move (especially their faces), the frame rate seems to be lower than the CG parts, with a weird effect of a stretching line that looks as if they were about to be ripped.

Next: Stop censoring such a dumb crap like female nipples... So showing a little girl being chopped in half by a gigantic sword was ok, but seeing damn little pink dots on the chest of some woman is sick?! That's beyond retarded logic.

Next: I dunno if it's just me, but the animation/choreography/camera work used in some of the fight scenes is pretty confusing; sometimes I'm not sure what just happened.

So, as long, as most of these things won't be fix'd, it's a no to me.
In fact, this show is an insult towards the manga and its fans. I understand that Miura supervised it, but it doesn't mean that he wanted to, who could've had no choice.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:23 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to series that need a "Remake" People should remember:
Ufotable can´t do a dark fantasy. Their series are too shiny(see Tales of Zestiria)
Madhouse doesn´t do second seasons. Even with a Remake it will never come back and you know that people are desperate for 2nd Seasons by Madhouse. Don´t get hyped
Bones does 12 or 13 episodes a season. The plots would be rushed

ALSO, EVEN IN 2D THIS SERIES, EVEN WITH REDLINE ARTISTS WOULD NEVER LOOK AS GOOD AS THE MANGA

´STOP DREAMING MUCH. REMEMBER THESE WORKS EACH TIME YOU THINK OF A REMAKE
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
No more caps lock for you buddy. I don't think Ufotable would do it but they've done dark fantasy before unless Fate/Zero and UBW don't count.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Fate had a few dark-ish elements to it. It's not even in the same universe as Berserk, but I do think it suggests that Ufotable can do dark fantasy; they just usually don't.

Admittedly, this argument would probably be more compelling if I jammed my caps lock down before typing it out, so there's that flaw..
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Fate had a few dark-ish elements to it. It's not even in the same universe as Berserk, but I do think it suggests that Ufotable can do dark fantasy; they just usually don't.

Admittedly, this argument would probably be more compelling if I jammed my caps lock down before typing it out, so there's that flaw..
vision33r

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Next arc they would need to cut a lot of stuff I can't think of them leaving the trolls stuff intact.

Most likely they will skip those scenes and what about Guts violent temperament? Not sure viewers realize that he's a monster in the making.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
I think the scene with the demon dog conveyed that possibility well enough among other things. Plus those familiar with the works of Nietzsche would probably figure out that hunting/fighting monsters can turn someone into a monster (I'm paraphrasing here, but barely) on their own. He's hardly the only person whose said something to that effect, and that sentiment isn't hard to find in anime so give us a little credit.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:55 am Reply with quote
@NeverConvex Again, Miura isn´t credited with anything, besides the original work and 2 script "contributions" of unknown amount. YA even put the volumes the anime adapted (and then some) up for free on their manga reader for a time and had explanatory specials in the magazine on the manga.
The message from the publisher was very clear to me. When was the last time a "how to" guide and over a dozen free volumes were released by a major publisher? They know exactly what they commissioned here, even the last studio got the boot, and i just hope that some form of learning process took place.
I only want to tune in and have a good time... as i get NO satisfaction from disliking an adaptation of beloved source material.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:12 am Reply with quote
I don't think an executive supervisor would normally be directly credited with any of the creative material (aside from the underlying source); that doesn't seem strange to me, and I don't think it means he's distanced from the project. I think having him on as executive supervisor is pretty close to as good as it gets as far as ensuring a preservation of his work's spirit and an appropriate interpretation of the source material.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:25 am Reply with quote
I tend to watch my currently airing anime in broadcast order. So this season I would often watch Berserk and then Amanchu! right after it. Pretty trippy combo. Anyway, looking forward to more nihilistic sugary goodness.
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
vision33r wrote:
snip

Skipping the enemies in the next arc is not a possibility because the events in that portion of the arc are built around them. Maybe they'll censor/cut some things, but the majority of it will be there.

As for this adaptation, even with the constraints of a small episode count, things could've been executed better. The cuts and arrangements to the story earlier were already less than ideal, but they could've ended up being satisfactory had they'd been executed better, but they weren't. Ep.1 was a bad start, ep.3 was absolutely terrible, both could've been done better. From there on, on top of having to blitz and cut through the material, there were other decisions that made the story less coherent. So while they tried, no, it wasn't the absolute best they could've done.

Despite all that, I'm looking forward to the next arc, since it's my favourite, but like before, I'm keeping my expectations low.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5