• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Crystal Gets 3rd Season on Death Busters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:26 pm Reply with quote
And so, the last bastion of the original Sailor Moon's dignity has fallen. I really hoped it wouldn't happen, but I'll be there to bear witness to the desecration.
manapear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Cryssoberyl wrote:
And so, the last bastion of the original Sailor Moon's dignity has fallen. I really hoped it wouldn't happen, but I'll be there to bear witness to the desecration.

Wasn't this also said when PGSM happened?
Is Crystal worse than the original dub of Classic?

Did Sailor Moon even have dignity in the first place, if so many people don't like any given version in existence?

If anything though, doesn't the series have more dignity since that means it's done well enough for Crystal to get another season? And that merch is doing well? And that some other project is also going on.

PS: . . .Original? Which original? Original as in the manga, the original source material? Or Classic, the original/first anime?
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I really hope they don't cut the Usagi/Haruka kisses (both when they're transformed and the dream sequence Usagi has), but I have a bad feeling that they'll be cut.

If they can get away with Black Lady & brainwashed Mamoru's kisses then this will be fine.

Going by the Crystal writers previous comments about how the inner senshi would have no depth without making them have romance with the shittenou, I'm willing to bet Crystal is going full no homo.

Cryssoberyl wrote:

Desecration? You mean this?

Fallenmessiahx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Lili-Hime"]
NJ_ wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I really hope they don't cut the Usagi/Haruka kisses (both when they're transformed and the dream sequence Usagi has), but I have a bad feeling that they'll be cut.

If they can get away with Black Lady & brainwashed Mamoru's kisses then this will be fine.

Going by the Crystal writers previous comments about how the inner senshi would have no depth without making them have romance with the shittenou, I'm willing to bet Crystal is going full no homo.

Cryssoberyl wrote:

Desecration? You mean this?

Yeah I was kind of pissed when they did not make Zoicite and Kunzite a couple. I would have not mind it if none of them had any type of sexuality but to erase any gay relationship was kind of a slap in the face to the gay fans. I know in the manga they had no sexuality but still...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
Cryssoberyl wrote:

Wasn't this also said when PGSM happened?
Is Crystal worse than the original dub of Classic?

Did Sailor Moon even have dignity in the first place, if so many people don't like any given version in existence?

If anything though, doesn't the series have more dignity since that means it's done well enough for Crystal to get another season? And that merch is doing well? And that some other project is also going on.

PS: . . .Original? Which original? Even if we call the manga the original, if everything else is an adaption, is "original" the right thing to call the manga?

1. You can't really compare Crystal to the original dub of the 90's anime because you're comparing them on two different subjects... The original dub changed things, but was still the same, decent-to-good animation. The issue with Crystal was its poor animation, wonky character designs, and questionable directing.

2. What Cryssoberyl means by dignity is the legendary status of the original anime. It is one of the most influential and iconic anime series that have ever been created. It revolutionized the modern magical girl genre, and paved the way for other magical girl series like Madoka and Tokyo Mew Mew that feature a team of magical girls using their powers to fight evil. So yeah, Sailor Moon had a lot of dignity to its name.

3. Not really... for the most part, Crystal has done more harm than good. Crystal isn't getting a new season because it did well enough, in fact, it did rather poorly. It just gives them more of an opportunity to continue with what they're doing and release more merchandise for us to buy. Crystal is also not the reason why merchandise is selling so well. If you look, the vast majority of it has all been based on the original anime, or have been re-releases of merchandise of the original anime.

4. Pretty sure Cryssoberyl is referring to the original anime when they mean "original".

Lili-Hime wrote:

They never said that? Naoko was the one who wanted the romance with the Shittenou in the first place. Before the anime started, the writers stated there would be a few things included that Naoko originally planned to be in the manga, but because of her extremely tight schedule when she was writing the manga, she had to omit them, and the Shittenou romance was one of those things. The only thing the writers said about the Shittenou was that they wished they could have done more with them in Crystal.

Fallenmessiahx wrote:
Yeah I was kind of pissed when they did not make Zoicite and Kunzite a couple. I would have not mind it if none of them had any type of sexuality but to erase any gay relationship was kind of a slap in the face to the gay fans. I know in the manga they had no sexuality but still...

The creator of the series wanted the SenshixShitennou. It was originally intended for the source material. The gay relationship between Zoicite and Kunzite was a Toei invention-only. They were not erasing anything. Sailor Moon Crystal is based on the source material. It's the exact same reason why the Doom Tree arc wasn't animated. They had no obligation at all to make Zoicite and Kunzite lovers. I'm gay, and I also agree ZoicitexKunzite was more interesting (I think a lot of the anime-only things were more interesting) because it adds variety, but they did what they were supposed to do. They're not slapping any gay fans in the face. Uranus and Neptune are obviously still going to be a couple.
rtil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
hopefully it's not back to square one with the production because Crystal was a rough road. but in the 2nd season and towards the end things got a lot better.

but after i've seen what Toei has done with Super, i'm not entirely confident they care.

i will await this season with cautious optimism.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
#810558 wrote:
Lili-Hime wrote:

They never said that?

Yes, they did. Source (Interview with Kobayashi, the head writer of Crystal).
-----------------
"Moreover, we have made vast changes in how the Shitennou are treated this time. You know, in the manga they were quickly defeated after they made their debut. Many big fans of the manga or the musicals may already know, the four were deeply involved with the 4 Senshi in their past lives. From the standpoint of already knowing the end, this can’t be separated from the story’s “worldview” (general setting). If they are just wiped out in split seconds, it would be difficult to make the Guardians except for usagi to stand out (in the story).
-----------

So... they can't make their personalities unique without attaching a male romantic interest to them >.>

So I gave an interview quote, you mind giving me one where Naoko said she intended from the beginning to make the senshixshittenou pairing a thing? because I can't find one. People just latched on to that because of the musicals and that one illustration.

#810558 wrote:
The gay relationship between Zoicite and Kunzite was a Toei invention-only.

Oh, rly?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I just hope that the story and animation will see improvement in this third season of Crystal (not that I'm betting on it).

I'm ecstatic that the rest of the Outer Senshi are finally going to make their appearances. Here's hoping the story of them will fare well.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, third season got me to. Last thing I heard that it was bombing and was horrible. Never heard of a second season, but that has been explained already.

Sorry that the production committee is not treating the property as it deserves to be.
manapear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
#810558 wrote:

1. You can't really compare Crystal to the original dub of the 90's anime because you're comparing them on two different subjects... The original dub changed things, but was still the same, decent-to-good animation. The issue with Crystal was its poor animation, wonky character designs, and questionable directing.

They're all adaptions; the original dub is just an adaption of an adaption. In general, it is a piece of the franchise that should also have done horrible things to the supposed dignity over the series, right? Also, I'd say the animation between Classic and Crystal is about the same. I know it's easy to overlook Classic's mistake (or even pretend its age makes a difference), but they were frequently lazy with it and it had plenty of ugly or plain off shots. (Like an infamous one of Ikuko's hand when angered over Usagi's test scores.) Character designs are a matter of personal taste though. (I like over the top, shoujo-y designs, so I adore it.) As is the same with the directing. I think the first arc was very weak overall, but it had a lot of beautiful moments, and a few fair/strong episodes (like Mako-chan's ep). The second arc is a different story and is pretty excellent to me. It's not perfect, but I put it on par with Super of Classic, and that to me is the best season overall (writing, animation, etc). It was definitely yards better than the crap that was R in Classic. (But again, that's just my opinion, and to each their own.)

#810558 wrote:

2. What Cryssoberyl means by dignity is the legendary status of the original anime. It is one of the most influential and iconic anime series that have ever been created. It revolutionized the modern magical girl genre, and paved the way for other magical girl series like Madoka and Tokyo Mew Mew that feature a team of magical girls using their powers to fight evil. So yeah, Sailor Moon had a lot of dignity to its name.

It's not at all comparable then. Sure, they're both anime, but the original anime is its own adaption. Crystal is an animated adaption of the manga. Really, there should be very little to compare or speak of the two together. (And comparisons should be made between the manga and Crystal.) It is one of the most iconic and influential, I agree. But that's for one subset of magical girl even (magical warrior, of course). We also need to remember that Sailor Moon's popularity (in Japan, and the rest of the world) died down quite a lot after a while. Sure, it doesn't stop being iconic or referenced, but it was not seeing the same popularity as it was a decade ago.

My other point was, how much dignity would it truly have? People threw a stink up over PGSM. People pretend Myu doesn't exist. When parts of the fandom act like Crystal is the death of the franchise, it just comes off as pretentious to me. Surprise, we are the not the essential, target audience of this series; Japan is. We can get up in arms all we like and have our feels, but we can't act like our dislike of an adaption means the franchise as a whole has lost something.

#810558 wrote:

3. Not really... for the most part, Crystal has done more harm than good. Crystal isn't getting a new season because it did well enough, in fact, it did rather poorly. It just gives them more of an opportunity to continue with what they're doing and release more merchandise for us to buy. Crystal is also not the reason why merchandise is selling so well. If you look, the vast majority of it has all been based on the original anime, or have been re-releases of merchandise of the original anime.

I'd say that's also personal opinion. I feel the opposite. It's brought the series to the modern generation. There are lots of new fans falling in love with the series, and plenty of old fans finding their spark with it again or seeing the moments they loved in the manga get animated.

Did you see the BR/DVD numbers? It didn't do poorly at all. It did about average. Especially for a series that hasn't been relevant for a long time. You also may have missed a lot of the very nice, very high quality merchandise that's been tied in with Crystal. With some popular brand names amongst (young) women in Japan. And it is selling. Again, it's easy for us in the West to gloss over or be unaware of Crystal's success and presence, but it is there.

#810558 wrote:

4. Pretty sure Cryssoberyl is referring to the original anime when they mean "original".

And again, that's my above contention. The manga is the "original," even as a source material. And Crystal is not a reboot or adaption of Classic. It is an adaption of the manga, so it "desecrating" the original anime has no meaning. It has no relation to Classic, aside from also being an animated version of Sailor Moon. It is not a direct sequel or reboot. Crystal might be desecrating the manga, but not Classic (and that's also a matter of personal opinion). There are things I wanted to see that didn't make it, but it's been a great adaption for me so far.
BlueCatMage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Can't we all just, regardless if whether you like or hate it, be happy it's getting a third season at all? I completely understand that Crystal did pretty badly and made a lot of really poor choices, but in the end it's still trying it's best to appeal to a new generation of anime fans with what made it so iconic in the first place.

And maybe in another 25 years when the 50th anniversary comes around they'll try to re-make it anew with all the fancy whistles and sparkles people wish this one should have had. Who knows? Anime hyper
Adv193

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Another way to put it between this and the classic Sailor Moon anime, is similar to Fullmetal Alchemist it has two different versions one following the basics of the manga (but sticking to it's own plotline) and the second being a more faithful adaption to the manga.

For Sailor Moon Classic while using characters and storyline scenarios from the manga, it is more of a watered-down version intended for younger audiences in Japan when compared to the manga, which is why it had the addition of comedy, goofiness (such as from Usagi), and other factors that were not part of the original manga, though it is still regarded as a classic.

For Crystal, it focuses more on the actual stories from the original manga and shows the original incarnation of the characters (which is why Usagi is not a goofy character like she was in the first anime). I'll admit the pacing has been a bit off and the final battle against Death Phantom was too rushed and lacked the challenge factor that was present in the classic anime, but on the other hand I am pleased that all the Outer Senshi will be adapted since they don't get the same level of respect and recognition that Sailor Moon and the Inner Senshi get.

This is why I support the new season.
manapear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Adv193 wrote:
Another way to put it between this and the classic Sailor Moon anime, is similar to Fullmetal Alchemist it has two different versions one following the basics of the manga (but sticking to it's own plotline) and the second being a more faithful adaption to the manga.

For Sailor Moon Classic while using characters and storyline scenarios from the manga, it is more of a watered-down version intended for younger audiences in Japan when compared to the manga, which is why it had the addition of comedy, goofiness (such as from Usagi), and other factors that were not part of the original manga, though it is still regarded as a classic.

For Crystal, it focuses more on the actual stories from the original manga and shows the original incarnation of the characters (which is why Usagi is not a goofy character like she was in the first anime). I'll admit the pacing has been a bit off and the final battle against Death Phantom was too rushed and lacked the challenge factor that was present in the classic anime, but on the other hand I am pleased that all the Outer Senshi will be adapted since they don't get the same level of respect and recognition that Sailor Moon and the Inner Senshi get.

This is why I support the new season.

I agree with this entirely.

Classic has not held up as well as I remember or thought, but it's still a decent, fun adaption. It will always have a place in my heart.

But Crystal is different, and it's very fulfilling for a lot of us. It isn't perfect, but no version of BSSM is. (The new Myu comes real close though!)
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
sakurablossom143 wrote:
Man, this was really confusing, as I was also like, "wait, there was a 2nd season?"... geez... wish they would clarify it as a half-season, full-season, etc...

Let's see... I don't think I remember the death busters arc too much... Is Chibi Usa already Sailor Mini Moon in this one? (Or was she already one in the 2nd season?)... Anime hyper

Haha, yeah, I think it's more with how we're calling it, than the way it's being announced? (I could be wrong.)

Chibi-Moon was present in the manga and Crystal at the end, and helped fight. In Classic. . .? I actually don't remember. But she does show up as Chibi-Moon at some point in the season.

Have you read the manga, and watched Classic or the musicals? I know there's a lot of differences between all three. (To say nothing of the differences between the old, an reboot Myus.)

I read the manga, years years ago when it was published in Mixx Magazine (then Tokyopop Magazine). I've watched the original SM series though.
manapear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote
sakurablossom143 wrote:

I read the manga, years years ago when it was published in Mixx Magazine (then Tokyopop Magazine). I've watched the original SM series though.

Ahhh, okay. I do remember that Mixx got to that part, and she was Chibi-Moon (if I remember).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5