• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: Anime Industry Up 10% in 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CR85747

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:32 pm Reply with quote
The English name of the AJA makes it sound like they're representing the drawings rather than the companies.
skaterballer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this industry would thrive even more if we didn't try to make a shortening of the word 'animation' mean something more specific than 'animation'. Same with 'manga'.

I am so tired of going into video stores and seeing an 'anime' sign and then nothing but Japanese media underneath it. I am so tired of going into book stores and seeing a 'manga' sign and then seeing nothing but Japanese media underneath it.

People don't want to check Japanese non-live-action media out because we try so hard to divide it from the rest of media. It's from Japan. Let that simply be the reason you give when one asks why a particular movie or comic looks different.

The essence of telling stories visually without using real people is so free. It's so...undivided. Everything's connected. Line to line, panel to panel, stop-motion picture to stop-motion picture. Ripping the broadness out of 'animation' 's little word brother, 'anime', and 'cartoon' 's foreign word twin, 'manga' (although, I think 'manga' can refer to more things than just what 'cartoon' can refer to), rips the essence out of these words, and in turn gives people a quick way to do onto media what we do onto each other: divide. As the leader of Brilliant Dynamite Neon would say, "that ain't beautiful".
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:32 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Hahalollawl wrote:
invalidname wrote:
Hope this isn't too apples-and-oranges, but for context, Disney's market capitalization is $160 billion, so I guess the entire anime industry is worth about 1/10 of Disney?

Not to be rude, but I think Disney does a whole lot more than animation. So you might need more context.

Never said they didn't. They also do movies, TV networks, theme parks, etc. But the idea of the entire anime industry fitting in 1/10 of one other company in the wider entertainment biz gives a sense of perspective.

You are making a completely invalid comparison of two completely different measures. I don't know what "net worth" in the way it was estimated means as well.

But if you want a comparison the Canadian animation industry, which is very large as it produces a substantial fraction of all English language animation, is about 250 million dollars in size. The anime industry (measured by the same criteria) is about 10 times that size. The anime industry is perhaps around 50% of the world's animation for TV market share, it's about 2/3 of all the stuff but it's made for lower production costs than American or Canadian animation.

If you want a global entertainment industry number, well a British consulting firm estimated it was about 180 billion dollars in 2013, a data published in the economist, more than half of that was TV, movies, music and videogames were the other half. The anime industry is about 2.5 billion, or 1.5% of the world's entertainment industry. I don't think they counted novel sales though (which are about 30-35 billion dollars) or comic book sales (Japan's manga sales are ca. 5 billion dollars, American comic book sales are 0.4 billion, I guess around 1 billion for the rest of the world.

In terms of share of comic book market, manga has about 85% share of the world's comic book market: Japan alone is 75% of the world's comic book market and manga is about 40% of the rest of the world's comic sales.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4