• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Knights of Sidonia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
As a more general response: Sorry, but anyone who thinks that there's anything original to the anime version of KoS beyond some of those specific details is either smoking something or is ignorant of the mecha/sci fi history of anime. One or two have questioned where the Macross parallels are? Try Macross Frontier. If you've seen that series than I can't imagine how you can't see a fair number of similarities.

Love it, the anime where people sing to aliens and everyone gets along. The movie versions are even better, imho. Also barely related to Sidonia.

Quote:
Evangelion may, in retrospect, not be the best direct example, but numerous other story elements - the spoiler["I'll sabotage a mission to get back at the new hotshot who's unwittingly stealing my thunder"] ploy, or the spoiler[inscrutable aliens who take on vaguely human forms] gimmicks, have been done in numerous other mecha and sci fi titles. The relationship curves feel like something borrowed from a Gundam series, too, as is the revelation that spoiler[the MC is a specially genetically-engineered individual above and beyond normal genetic engineering (Kira Yamato, anyone?)]. I could probably point to numerous other details if I wanted to spend all night analyzing it, but I have other things to do.

Yeah, all things not unique to mecha anime...

Quote:
So yeah, don't even think about trying to pitch to me about how wonderfully original a work this is. And don't give me crap about how I shouldn't be reviewing mecha just because I'm not a mecha uber-fan. I've seen and reviewed plenty of mecha series in my day, thank you very much.

People are complaining like this because they feel the review is unfair. This wasn't a measuring contest for who watched or reviewed more. Not many people here are suggesting it is most original, they are saying they found it interesting and enjoyable. Sidonia has plenty of neat ideas and treats space like a very real and serious thing which feels great compared to many shows set in space (not just mecha!).

The review gave a C+ to the story, the thing people seem to be overall enjoying the most from the series.. In the review, amongst many in these comments, and myself, found the art to be a bit...lacking, but that got an A-.

See why there are complaints?
TheRussianMeatClob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
I do hope we see confirmation that Knights of Sidonia will also still eventually get a proper BD release from Netflix/Partner here in the US too to go with it being on Netflix cause I'd like to own it. Smile
Same here I want to watch this in full HD without having to worry about the quality going down do to network issues.

EyeOfPain wrote:
BluExocet wrote:
However, if I were to have one or two complaints about the Knights of Sidonia anime, it would be that Izana hasn't inflicted bodily harm on Nagate yet with his prosthetics[...]
Did Izana have prosthetics in season one, or is this a spoiler?
You just got semi-spoiled sir... Neutral

Last edited by TheRussianMeatClob on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
BluExocet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
Did Izana have prosthetics in season one, or is this a spoiler?

He gets prosthetics fairly early on in the manga, I wouldn't call it a spoiler, but I probably should have tagged it as one. My bad. The only thing it really affects is Nagate's bone structure though, so it's not a huge game changer.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm really just curious whether or not Netflix is going to do a physical release for this. I have nothing against Netflix, but if they start getting into anime licensing, they better do some physical releases or I'll be sort of pissed. I like owning good anime on BD.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I'm really just curious whether or not Netflix is going to do a physical release for this. I have nothing against Netflix, but if they start getting into anime licensing, they better do some physical releases or I'll be sort of pissed. I like owning good anime on BD.
House of Cards and Orange is the New Black both have planned DVD/BD releases.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

House of Cards has been released, the first two seasons anyway.

That's why this is so exciting. It's one thing to release under FUNi, Sentai or *shudder* Aniplex. It's another to be released by the people showing House of Cards and Orange is the New Black. Although now I want Kevin Spacey to do a voice next season.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
Key wrote:
As a more general response: Sorry, but anyone who thinks that there's anything original to the anime version of KoS beyond some of those specific details is either smoking something or is ignorant of the mecha/sci fi history of anime. One or two have questioned where the Macross parallels are? Try Macross Frontier. If you've seen that series than I can't imagine how you can't see a fair number of similarities.

Love it, the anime where people sing to aliens and everyone gets along. The movie versions are even better, imho. Also barely related to Sidonia.

You mean the show about human slowly flying trough space in a huge colony ship that get attacked by alien and defend themselves using giant robot is barely related to a show about human slowly flying trough space in a huge colony ship that get attacked by alien and defend themselves using giant robot?

Also:

Quote:
and mecha traveling long distances in space unite in clusters to gain a collective speed and range boost.

What?

As for the show I tried reading the manga (I actually did multiple time) but could never get very far into it, between the random fan service that seems to dictate the plot ("Hum I need a reason to show a bunch of naked women. I know I'll have time photosynthesize even thought that makes absolutely no sense and would be an horrible way to feed humanity in deep space") and the main character being just another blank character who's somehow godly good at everything he do. Shame because the setting and everything seems to be really well built.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
EyeOfPain wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

House of Cards has been released, the first two seasons anyway.

That's why this is so exciting. It's one thing to release under FUNi, Sentai or *shudder* Aniplex. It's another to be released by the people showing House of Cards and Orange is the New Black. Although now I want Kevin Spacey to do a voice next season.

Those sets look reasonably nice too. Hopefully they will give KoS an box set. I would buy that for sure.
TheRussianMeatClob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
As for the show I tried reading the manga (I actually did multiple time) but could never get very far into it, between the random fan service that seems to dictate the plot ("Hum I need a reason to show a bunch of naked women. I know I'll have time photosynthesize even thought that makes absolutely no sense and would be an horrible way to feed humanity in deep space") and the main character being just another blank character who's somehow godly good at everything he do. Shame because the setting and everything seems to be really well built.

If you've seen any of Nihei's other work you would know Sidonia is his most mainstream work and that this fan service is only there for laughs and move past it.

As for Nagate being godly good at piloting yeah I sure as hell would hope he would be considering his entire 15 years of life underground consisted of foraging for food or being in the super flight simulator.

Last edited by TheRussianMeatClob on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barbobot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Quote:
and mecha traveling long distances in space unite in clusters to gain a collective speed and range boost.

What?

You know how the mechas would group up and all speed off together? This was because with the combined thrust they could travel farther distances faster than a single unit could by itself.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
meiam wrote:

Quote:

What?

You know how the mechas would group up and all speed off together? This was because with the combined thrust they could travel farther distances faster than a single unit could by itself.

I'm not sure if it's the review or the show/manga, but that makes no sense (unless there's one unit with much higher trust power than the others). But if all the unit are the same, grouping up would not increase there trust since they all weight the same. If you apply a force on an object you'll get the same acceleration than applying twice the force on an object being twice as heavy, F=M*A and all (2*F=2*M*A, the 2 cancel and you're back to F=MA). They could get a range increase if there truster can only go at 0 or max speed, and by grouping up they only have one unit use it's booster at a time, but they'd accelerate way slower. I'm probably just reading it wrong thought.

Even if the fan service is just for laugh, it's still there and wasting time which could be spend on developing character, more action scene, ext.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Theron you watched all twelve episodes? You should have way more questions at this point.

"While the plot and characters may not be especially compelling or fresh, the action, visuals, and setting details are sharp enough to keep viewers coming back."

That ending where it continues to the advertised next episode is whats bringing them back. That and a bunch of unanswered questions.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
People are complaining like this because they feel the review is unfair. This wasn't a measuring contest for who watched or reviewed more. Not many people here are suggesting it is most original. . .

But some are. And some (Captn_Taylor in particular[/b]) have quite clearly implied that I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

Quote:
The review gave a C+ to the story, the thing people seem to be overall enjoying the most from the series.. In the review, amongst many in these comments, and myself, found the art to be a bit...lacking, but that got an A-.

See why there are complaints?

It's entirely possible to enjoy a series and still acknowledge that its story is not particularly good; those two measuring sticks are not (or at least should not be) inherently linked. Besides, I cannot in good conscience give a higher story grade to a series which has such great details and enslaves them to such a generic plot and execution.

And I really think a lot of people are underestimating the artistry. I saw a level of fine detail in its CG work that you don't see anywhere else in anime. (Unfortunately I won't be in a position until at least late tomorrow night to take some screencaps to show examples of what I am talking about.)

meiam wrote:
Barbobot wrote:

I'm not sure if it's the review or the show/manga, but that makes no sense (unless there's one unit with much higher trust power than the others). But if all the unit are the same, grouping up would not increase there trust since they all weight the same. If you apply a force on an object you'll get the same acceleration than applying twice the force on an object being twice as heavy, F=M*A and all (2*F=2*M*A, the 2 cancel and you're back to F=MA). They could get a range increase if there truster can only go at 0 or max speed, and by grouping up they only have one unit use it's booster at a time, but they'd accelerate way slower. I'm probably just reading it wrong thought.

I will be hanging out all day tomorrow with a physics professor, so I will ask him about this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I kind of hope the whole "let's delay this show by an entire season and release it all at once" doesn't catch on. It only means people will miss out on current discussion while the show actually airs – like it's the kind of model that only works if no one, including the Japanese, can see it until it's released by Netflix.

If people didn't shout "To the fansubs" as soon as an episode wasn't released within an hour of its first airing in Japan, there would be no issue.

You certainly aren't going to see me pining for a simulcast, as I normally end up viewing most simulcast series when they are complete or at least near complete. Viewed without having to be locked into a one episode per week routine has its benefits.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I was so hyped to read this review but the story grade the reviewer gave it made me a bit sad on the inside, as this was one of the best stories in the 2014 lineup (so far).

I'm not too fond of action + mecha. Both genres make me kind of bored unless they decide to spice it up like Code Geass/Valvrave which added stuff like politics and crazy things that I shall not mention but Sidonia managed to attract me even if it was pure sci-fi plus mecha. It brought me back into the sci-fi genre which another recent show (Shinsekai Yori) also did for me.

I loved the visuals, world building, action/suspense going on as well as the serious atmosphere most of the time.

Cyclone1993 wrote:
I marathoned this show about a week ago or so and I absolutely adored it. I watch quite a bit of mecha despite it not being one of my favorite genres and I have to say Knights of Sidonia pulls off the whole real robot genre the best if any I've ever seen. Sure the mecha elements weren't my favorite aspect of the show, but it made me like real robot and that's saying something.

The main draw for me is its hard science fiction elements. The details used to describe and define the world of Sidonia are fantastic and very in depth. It doesn't stray away from topics that would normally be avoided, like how do characters use the bathroom in the robots? It's a small and insignificant detail but it makes the world feel more realistic.

Pretty much this ^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7