• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Meanings of character's names.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:25 am Reply with quote
hayakunero wrote:
Sorry. I didn't use English.
What's hiragara translation?

Well, I saw hiragana in your post, so I was just trying to show off that I know what hiragana looks like Anime catgrin + sweatdrop... Of course there's more than just hiragana, but oh well. Don't mind me.
Shigurei

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:57 am Reply with quote
Kanji Origin is Chinese i know becuase i used to attend Chinese Classes For Those That didn't know that
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:18 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
hayakunero wrote:
日本語の知識をずいぶんお持ちですね。
abunaiさんなら分かってくれると思いますが、苺と一護は全く同じ発音?ではありません。強く言うところが違うんです。あと高低アクセントもあって、人の名前と物の名前ではアクセントが違うことが多いですね。私は関西弁ですが、共通語でも多分違うと思いますよ。まあ、外人さんにはどうでもいいことだと思うんですが。 Surprised
こういう場合は発音が違うというのか、アクセントが違うというのか分かりません。どうなんでしょう?
For those of you who are interested in doing so, feel free to test your hiragana [& katakana & kanji] translation skills.
Well, if I may, since abunai has already summarized the main points...

hayakunero wrote:
You really know quite a bit about Japanese, don't you? Abunai-san, I think you would understand; are the pronunciations of "ichigo" (strawberry) and Ichigo (name) completely identical? They are not. The stressed place in the words is different. There's also a significant high-low pitch accent difference between people's names and names of objects. Though I speak Kansai dialect, I think that these differences would probably be significant in standard speech as well. Well, to a foreigner, I suppose this issue doesn't really matter. In this kind of situation, I don't know if it's the pronunciation or the accent that differs. What do you think?
(I apologize for any translation mistakes; feel free to blame me for any misrepresentation that might have occurred.)

At any rate, I believe hayakunero on this; at my level of Japanese, I can't immediately tell the difference between those words, and for all I know, they're as homonymous as there and their. Time to go dig up an episode of Ichigo 100% that talks about "ichigo pantsu" and compare it to Ichigo's name in Bleach to see if I can hear a difference.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:55 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I know that this thread is about names but what is the difference between oni and yasha? Don't they both mean "demon"? Or do they refer to specific types of demons?

Also oni, bakemono, yoma and the rest for that matter. They are all fairly similar to me, much like devils, demons, or goblins and orcs. Sorry but I can't tell them apart. They are not as specific as kappa, or kyuketsu. You might want to ask someone who is more into RPGs than me.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

At any rate, I believe hayakunero on this; at my level of Japanese, I can't immediately tell the difference between those words, and for all I know, they're as homonymous as there and their. Time to go dig up an episode of Ichigo 100% that talks about "ichigo pantsu" and compare it to Ichigo's name in Bleach to see if I can hear a difference.

Well now realizing that ichigo can be a composite form of protect and one I think many Japanese names are meant to convey meanings that add a little element to the story. I always thought the name Ichigo was in reference to his hair color, which is sort of a reddish blonde. But regardless of how a name is pronounced, wether its true meaning is obvious or not, I think names are meant to impart information to the viewer is some way. I like it better when a name seems arbitrary at first but when you start to break it up into all possible meanings it tells a story about the character.
Shigurei

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

Well now realizing that ichigo can be a composite form of protect and one I think many Japanese names are meant to convey meanings that add a little element to the story. I always thought the name Ichigo was in reference to his hair color, which is sort of a reddish blonde. But regardless of how a name is pronounced, wether its true meaning is obvious or not, I think names are meant to impart information to the viewer is some way. I like it better when a name seems arbitrary at first but when you start to break it up into all possible meanings it tells a story about the character.
Huh? please explain this...I don't get it
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:31 am Reply with quote
Shigurei wrote:
Huh? please explain this...I don't get it

I had to wait a while and read my answer to make sure it made sense to me too. But yeah the wording is a little conjested.

What I meant is that it doesnt really matter if the meaning of a name is made more obvious by how it is usually pronounced. That's what I think anyways.

The important thing is that each name can have multiple meanings which leaves it up to the viewer to decide how it fits in with the story.
tenkado-shujin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:00 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
suna_suna wrote:
also, the four names Suzaku, Byakko, Genbu and Seiryu come up alot in anime (again Yu Yu Hakusho) and also video games (Tenchu 2). they are four deities i think

Yes, in lots of places. They are the names of the four gods or holy animals. Originally a Chinese mythological device, they were imported to Japanese mythology during the Heian period.

A complex symbolism has been built up around them, and they each have a number of corresponding symbolic values:

Suzaku - phoenix - South - Summer
Genbu - tortoise - North - Winter
Byakku - white tiger - West - Autumn
Seiryuu - dragon - East - Spring

Offhand, I can think of at least a dozen anime where the four animals play an important part, in one form or another. Fushigi Yuugi, Harukanaru Toki no Naka de ~Hachiyoushou~, Mahou Shoutengai Abenobashi, etc.

- abunai

The four gods were introduced into Japan earlier than the Heian period. In Japan there are ancient tombs which were built before the Heian period and have wall paintings of the four gods or burial furnishings with a design of the four gods. The Kitora Tomb is a famous example.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:03 am Reply with quote
tenkado-shujin wrote:
The four gods were introduced into Japan earlier than the Heian period. In Japan there are ancient tombs which were built before the Heian period and have wall paintings of the four gods or burial furnishings with a design of the four gods. The Kitora Tomb is a famous example.

You are absolutely right -- my mistake. Embarassed Obviously, the Kitora tomb indicates an earlier introduction, during the Yamato period. And equally obviously, the four gods might well have been introduced earlier, even though no evidence remains of such an hypothetical earlier import date.

Thank you for the correction -- I learned something new. Very Happy

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tenkado-shujin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:47 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
tenkado-shujin wrote:

You are absolutely right -- my mistake. Embarassed Obviously, the Kitora tomb indicates an earlier introduction, during the Yamato period. And equally obviously, the four gods might well have been introduced earlier, even though no evidence remains of such an hypothetical earlier import date.

Thank you for the correction -- I learned something new. Very Happy

- abunai

It's my pleasure.

As for a painting of the four gods which is older than those in the Kitora Tombs, a piece of lacquer ware on which the four gods had been painted was turned up at Niizawasenzuka (also known as Shinzawasenzuka) Tumulus No.126, which is believed to have been built in the mid- or late 5th century.
As to examples dated earlier than the Kofun period, ancient mirrors with a design of the four gods were excavated at relics of the Yayoi period.
big jiggy g

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I am very new to this, infact this is the first post I have posted so here it goes. I am trying to make a wall plack in the shape of a standing rectangle with our family's surname of Yokoi written in kanji symbols. I really have looked everywhere I could think of with no luck. My father did try to write it out for me but he said he wasn't sure, and you know that just a sim;le brush stroke could look the same but mean something different. So if anybody could translate our last name of Yokoi to Kanji symbols. Oh God that would be really great. Thank you all.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
big jiggy g wrote:
I am very new to this, infact this is the first post I have posted so here it goes. I am trying to make a wall plack in the shape of a standing rectangle with our family's surname of Yokoi written in kanji symbols. I really have looked everywhere I could think of with no luck. My father did try to write it out for me but he said he wasn't sure, and you know that just a sim;le brush stroke could look the same but mean something different. So if anybody could translate our last name of Yokoi to Kanji symbols. Oh God that would be really great. Thank you all.

Well... you have a problem. You see, there are usually numerous ways of writing out a name in kanji. That's why you often hear people say their names, then add "with the kanji for such-and-such and so-and-so" -- because the name itself is not unambiguous.

Now, Yokoi is a fairly user-friendly name, in this connection, but even it has two different common kanji versions (and probably many, many non-standard versions): 横井 and 横居. You may want to consult your father as to which of these he thinks it is (if it is one of these).

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Zalis116"]
TestamentSaki wrote:
Another ubiquitous convention is to use "Hikaru," meaning "to shine" as a name for bright, cheerful girls, like in Kimagure Orange Road or Misaki's Angel in Angelic Layer. A variant on this is "Hikari," meaning "light" (as a noun), which was done (for plot purposes) in This Ugly yet Beautiful World. (Same with "Akari," meaning "brightness.") In that show, Hikari's last name also serves a purpose spoiler[it's Hoshino, so her name means "Light of the Stars."]

Actually, I believe Hikari means "from the stars". I read it in Newtype. It probably has different meanings, though.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
Hoshino means "of stars" and Hikari means "light" so her full name (Hoshino Hikari) could be taken to mean "light of stars".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4