• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Adds Moribito Fantasy Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:16 am Reply with quote
Some people don't have patience.
Oraculo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:53 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
I already own Media Blasters' Blu-ray release, but it's always good to see a masterpiece of a show get rescued.

No no, this thread is about Moribito. Razz

This show was a ratings bomb when it aired on TV, but you could argue the audience on video is far more dedicated. I hate the show though. It is just dull beyond all belief. That's the last crack I'm gonna make though, I promise.

No, no, no! Your point fails completely in the logic department. Rolling Eyes Something can be great, awesome or even a "masterpiece" AND not be popular at the same time. Actually that happens quite a lot... Depending on the general masses to determine the caliber of something is ill-advised.
Oh, and may I add: This anime IS awesome!!! Anime hyper Not dull in the least! Glad to see it getting a well-deserved second chance. Anime exclamation
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:16 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

that was an understatement. though its a very good series. it was a mega mistake to release it on Adult Swim considering the majority of its viewers are those from the Shonen Jump catagory which was why their series are popular over there. the only fantasy anime series i think was popular on AS was Inuyasha.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:08 am Reply with quote
Oraculo wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
I already own Media Blasters' Blu-ray release, but it's always good to see a masterpiece of a show get rescued.

No no, this thread is about Moribito. Razz

This show was a ratings bomb when it aired on TV, but you could argue the audience on video is far more dedicated. I hate the show though. It is just dull beyond all belief. That's the last crack I'm gonna make though, I promise.

No, no, no! Your point fails completely in the logic department. Rolling Eyes Something can be great, awesome or even a "masterpiece" AND not be popular at the same time. Actually that happens quite a lot... Depending on the general masses to determine the caliber of something is ill-advised.
Oh, and may I add: This anime IS awesome!!! Anime hyper Not dull in the least! Glad to see it getting a well-deserved second chance. Anime exclamation

A niche show doing better in direct market than on TV is fairly sound logic.and justifies Viz picking up the license. My complete seething hatred of.this show aside, you can't deny the extremely low overhead on something like this.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:36 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Ain't that the truth! Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:36 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Yeah, Morbidbito is one of the few series I couldn't make past the first episode of... It was just so incredibly dull.

To each his own. I usually point to Moribito's first episode as a primer in directorial technique. Kamiyama manages to set up all the key aspects of the story in just 22 minutes, and the episode itself cruises along. I consider it one of the best opening episodes I have ever watched.

My major complaint concerns the decline of the political themes in the last part of the story. One persistent issue concerns spoiler["What did the grand cleric know, and when did he know it?"], but that whole set of issues got lost in the finale. Despite these quibbles, Moribito remains in my personal top-ten.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Definitely BD worthy. I love this series. I watched this series before I 'Dennou Coil', and I was surprised that for a series that ran 26 episodes it's pacing was perfect and fell into place even when it seemed like, "what else is there left to do" and it pulls it altogether nicely without making you feel like it may have been too long. Great series.

Not trying to knock 'Dennou Coil', the series was great but there was so material and trying to sum it up in 26 episodes was somewhat problematic. This was how I made my comparison with pacing regarding 'Moribito'. Chances are someone else may have a different opinion.
Butterflea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:08 am Reply with quote
Really love this series as well as the 2 books. I got the Bluray sets despite already owning the DVD set of single releases. Which is probably the prettiest box set I own. For what it's worth, I went out of my way to watch the series on Adult Swim. I loved it instantly. And I was so relieved when they resumed airing. It meant a lot to me that our warrior bodyguard was female, strong and independent. I was grateful for the more serious, thoughtful pacing and tone. Of course, not everyone will agree on any particular show, style, genre, etc... But for me, it was a very special and meaningful show. It's also one of my favorite dubs. Great cast, especially Cindy Robinson, Mona Marshall, and Barbara Goodson. I also enjoyed Nahoko Uehashi's Beast Player Erin. And would gladly support any of her work made available to me.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
your definitely right about the VA. especially when i too watched it on AS. but its as i said before, its high pace was way too slow. though series like code geass was better for AS auidence, moribito wasnt. it would have been better for them if they had gotten another of the series from media blasters instead like dokuro chan. that would have been a serious comedic gas for AS, or probably ikkitousen dragon destiny considering that though its a fanservice series, its not too TV MA like Queens Blade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4