• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Stops Shipping Sword Art Online DVD Set 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I have to actually side with the people who say you should have a Blu-Ray player at this point. Honestly, the things are pretty dirt cheap now, and whether you like it or not obsolete technology isn't going to stick around and remain supported. This is particularly the case nowadays when streaming is really taking over and the home media sales numbers no longer support the idea of companies maintaining support for outdated formats. It's fine if you don't have a Blu-Ray player, but like it or not that means the support for your old format is going to dwindle as Blu-Ray players have the lions share of the market.

The DVD is not an outdated system, people still use it. It's not just anime companies that release on DVD and Blu-ray. In fact I only know one person who has a Blu-Ray player out of my real life acquaintances. Less people have switched to Blu-Ray then people think.

Now among anime collectors and videophiles that number might be quite bit higher. But DVD is not obsolete. That is like saying physical media is obsolete.

People have their reasons for sticking with DVD. I don't have the right TV for a Blu-Ray player so I don't see the need to invest in one. The type I want that can play international DVDs and Blu-rays is also more money, so I don't want to make the switch until I have the right TV.

And really there are just other things I want more. Eventually I will get a Blu-ray player (which is why I prefer combo releases) but until then I am content with my DVD player and I don't need to hear people judging me because I haven't made the switch yet.
spinja446

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
TrueSkin1 wrote:
Just popping into say Media Blasters has the biggest #%@ quality control I've ever seen. If it's not one thing it's another with them whether it be defective discs, crappy subtitles or awful packaging with a loose disc flying around in the dvd case while shipping to my house.

All I have to say is at least Aniplex USA is taking care of the problem and meanwhile Media Blasters is still shipping out $&*@# quality dvd's and blu-rays since 2007.

Yea my Queen's Blade season 2 and Strawberry Panic dvd's were completely massacred and scratched up when they arrived in the mail but this happened around 2 years ago. Not surprised though that they're still using cheap dvd cases you can find at the dollar store.

Get yourself together Media Blasters.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, the "people I know" argument doesn't really apply much. I mean, from that perspective the only person I know that still has a dedicated DVD player is my parents, but they also have a Blu-Ray player on another TV (they also have a VCR still, but that's irrelevant).

You're absolutely right in that DVD's are still viable, the problem is the market is no longer as viable. Sales of home media as a whole are way down from where they once were as digital distribution becomes bigger and bigger. Heck, I use my Roku more than my Blu-Ray or my TV Tuner combined at this point. The big problem is that companies are now looking at supporting 2 formats in a market that is far less stable than it used to be, so for a lot of them something has to give. The reality is that DVD, being the lesser format, is going to be the first to go.

Juno016 wrote:
So it's nice to see some diversity here, but for those who are actually upset at the other side for doing things how they prefer to do them... well, it's not your life, so don't judge.

It's not so much a matter of judging, but rather pointing out the fallacy of arguments against an older format being replaced by a new one. Like it or not DVD is the old format, and sales of discs, and particularly players, has declined substantially and has not had a green tick in years. The trend isn't going to change, and some people are seriously under-estimating how many people have Blu-Ray players now.

In the end though the bottom line is that physical media as a whole is on its way out, and it's just the way of things. You see this in the media world across the spectrum. Digital distribution has taken a huge chunk of the PC gaming market share and is taking its toll in the console market as well. Sales of digital books have now exceeded the sales of physical books. MP3 sales have outpaced CD sales for quite awhile now. This trend is coming to the video market. While Blu-Ray has fluctuated up and down as far as sales go, DVD has done nothing but decline. The sales of players themselves is far more lopsided with DVD player sales near rock bottom compared to Blu-Ray player sales and the media companies know this. When the time comes that something has to go the reality is that something will be DVD's, and even then Blu-Rays days are probably numbered as well. The transition as a whole is simply moving away from physical media.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
For the money they charge, it seems aniplex is doing a really poor job with their release. If I recall correctly, they had a similar problem not too long ago with something else
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
For the money they charge, it seems aniplex is doing a really poor job with their release. If I recall correctly, they had a similar problem not too long ago with something else

It's unfortunate but (on the brighter side) they are also the fastest company to issue a stop and send out the corrected discs. I'm just worried about those collectors that bought the Blu-ray boxes...the adhesive tore away part of the paper on the box Sad
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

You're absolutely right in that DVD's are still viable, the problem is the market is no longer as viable. Sales of home media as a whole are way down from where they once were as digital distribution becomes bigger and bigger. Heck, I use my Roku more than my Blu-Ray or my TV Tuner combined at this point. The big problem is that companies are now looking at supporting 2 formats in a market that is far less stable than it used to be, so for a lot of them something has to give. The reality is that DVD, being the lesser format, is going to be the first to go

It's not so much a matter of judging, but rather pointing out the fallacy of arguments against an older format being replaced by a new one. Like it or not DVD is the old format, and sales of discs, and particularly players, has declined substantially and has not had a green tick in years. The trend isn't going to change, and some people are seriously under-estimating how many people have Blu-Ray players now.

In the end though the bottom line is that physical media as a whole is on its way out, and it's just the way of things. You see this in the media world across the spectrum. Digital distribution has taken a huge chunk of the PC gaming market share and is taking its toll in the console market as well. Sales of digital books have now exceeded the sales of physical books. MP3 sales have outpaced CD sales for quite awhile now. This trend is coming to the video market. While Blu-Ray has fluctuated up and down as far as sales go, DVD has done nothing but decline. The sales of players themselves is far more lopsided with DVD player sales near rock bottom compared to Blu-Ray player sales and the media companies know this. When the time comes that something has to go the reality is that something will be DVD's, and even then Blu-Rays days are probably numbered as well. The transition as a whole is simply moving away from physical media.

I mostly blame the economy for all of that. Yes, Blu-rays are slowly replacing DVDs, but it's not there yet. Of course DVD player sales are down since when people purchase a new player now, they get a Blu-ray player, but few people are going out of their way to get one (other than entertainment buffs such as us).

We've had books for centuries. They will never truly go away (imagine how horrible that would be). Magazines? Newspapers? Maybe, but it will definitely be a long time.

As far as games go, I'm not a gamer, but generally people that are are more tech-savy than the rest of us.

For movies, I believe digital streaming will replace renting, but not really otherwise (if so, it would only be TV shows). Not that many people download to own. Plus, you wouldn't get special features. When people watch a movie on Netflix or Hulu, it's because it's a movie they want to watch, but not necessarily own. 10-25 years ago, this is what people did when they rented. If someone wants to OWN something, they still generally buy it, but because of the down economy, people are being far more picky on their home video collections. I've never really known anyone to collect a whole lot anyway. Most people I know usually rented.

We can't do a lot of streaming where I live anyway. We used to have Netflix, but we couldn't watch a movie without it buffering a dozen or so times. We have a mobile hotspot, which is the best you can get where we live. Otherwise, we would either have dialup, or something with incredible data limits (we would only be able to watch a few movies a month without using it up). Also my brother (who's a huge gamer), can't do any online gaming. Our internet connection is only 8 megabits per-second (when we're lucky, it's 12).

It's not quite the same thing with music since if you just want to listen, downloading it makes it easier than carrying a collection of CDs with you, let alone vinyl. This is especially the case if you want one song from an album. This is only the case with movies if you want to watch it on your mobile phone or iPad or something, but not that many people do this, especially the former. My mom has a Kindle, but she mostly just uses it for Facebook, games, and the occasional book or YouTube video (which is all most people do online these days anyway).

As for Roku, I'm really sure what it is, but my tech-savy uncle has one.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Well, the "people I know" argument doesn't really apply much. I mean, from that perspective the only person I know that still has a dedicated DVD player is my parents, but they also have a Blu-Ray player on another TV (they also have a VCR still, but that's irrelevant).

You're absolutely right in that DVD's are still viable, the problem is the market is no longer as viable. Sales of home media as a whole are way down from where they once were as digital distribution becomes bigger and bigger. Heck, I use my Roku more than my Blu-Ray or my TV Tuner combined at this point. The big problem is that companies are now looking at supporting 2 formats in a market that is far less stable than it used to be, so for a lot of them something has to give. The reality is that DVD, being the lesser format, is going to be the first to go.

Juno016 wrote:
So it's nice to see some diversity here, but for those who are actually upset at the other side for doing things how they prefer to do them... well, it's not your life, so don't judge.

The DVD player market has died but NOT DVDs, there is a difference.

Just because I am not buying a Blu-ray player now doesn't mean I am buying a DVD player instead.

No I am sticking to what I have for now until I need to change or get a TV where a Blu-ray will be worth it.

And most physical media eventually becomes obsolete, makes you wonder why you should collect in the first place, but I still do.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

.....In the end though the bottom line is that physical media as a whole is on its way out, and it's just the way of things.

.....even then Blu-Rays days are probably numbered as well. The transition as a whole is simply moving away from physical media.

That is a pretty absolute opinion. Storage media is still subject to eventually failure, while DVD's and BD's can, if taken care of, last your lifetime. I have a medium sized laserdisc library with two working laserdisc players. I still use them occasionally to watch some anime that is not on DVD, and other movies like Trancers and Deathstalker. Guilty pleasures those. Still have my Akira laserdisc, though will go BD on that when available.

If you are going all digital for your library, you are going to need storage media to back it all up, and if you are smart, you are going to back that up to with more storage media. Sure some will use Cloud services, but that too can suffer loss from system and hardware failure, and also be available to attack by hackers and hacktavists. Not to mention, it being susceptible to state and federal oversight.

Just because digital seems to be the 'in' thing, doesn't mean people are not going to want physical copies, especially collectors. Yeah, the market is going to change, but the need for physical copies will always be there.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that the N. American consumer base for these anime products has been so sluggish on accepting the Blu-ray format. I've always thought that anime fans were "ahead of the curve" when it comes to technology.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
^Well I am a slow adopter when it comes to technology. I don't even have a smart phone (although my IPod can do a lot of the same stuff)

I only bought a digital camera last year

I do have an E-reader at least lol
spinja446

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
DVD's deteriorate over time. Nothing is made to last forever.

I guess you can burn and make back up dvd copies as a fail safe... but you get the point.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Until companies, both anime companies and the makers of the BD/TV market companies make it possible for closed caption to be passed through HDMI/Composite cables and not have locked subtitles for the Japanese track only, I will forever support DVD.

There are many reasons why DVD is still supported over BD. Most laptops still have DVD players instead of BD players installed in their systems and the closed caption/locked subtitle problem I mentioned above are a few reasons why DVDs are more widespread than BDs.

I personally hate BDs because of the reasons above. I am not going to pay extra for a portable BD drive for my laptop nor am I going to get a new laptop that has a BD drive if the one I have works perfectly fine.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
DVDs sales have been slowing for the past few years while BDs are exploding. BDs haven't caught up to DVDs in sheer amount sold, but 3 digit percentage growth every year is huge for BDs!

HDTVs are cheap. BD players are cheap. BD production is cheap. Many people have already moved to HDTVs. I believe as more people see something like:

and see how DVDs are not providing a price advantage anymore, they start to have second thoughts...

Streaming compliments physical copies but does not replace them. The only medium that would provide an alternative to video discs would be DRM-free digital files, which has already happened for music, driven by a confluence of circumstances outside of the control of music publishers, causing them to give in to compete. But I don't see that happening with video.

Kazemon15 wrote:
Until companies, both anime companies and the makers of the BD/TV market companies make it possible for closed caption to be passed through HDMI/Composite cables and not have locked subtitles for the Japanese track only, I will forever support DVD.

There are many reasons why DVD is still supported over BD. Most laptops still have DVD players instead of BD players installed in their systems and the closed caption/locked subtitle problem I mentioned above are a few reasons why DVDs are more widespread than BDs.

I personally hate BDs because of the reasons above. I am not going to pay extra for a portable BD drive for my laptop nor am I going to get a new laptop that has a BD drive if the one I have works perfectly fine.

The locked (or forced) subs are purely an issue with the author of the BD simply setting a setting and the player honoring that setting. For example, this is still used in an English track for signs or when you hear foreign language (e.g. Klingon in Star Trek, etc). It just so happens to be used to try to discourage reverse importation by locking onscreen subs for the JP track. There might be a hardware player that gives you the option to override the setting. But you can always use software to get around that, especially if you're using it on a computer anyways.

WRT computer drives, desktop BD drives are also cheap now. In fact, it's not even worth getting a BD-ROM drive anymore since BD writers are cheap enough. Internal laptop BD drives are less common, though you can still buy OEM versions to fit into your own laptop, but a solution are external USB powered slim BD drives, which are affordable and widely available.

luffypirate85 wrote:
I'm surprised that the N. American consumer base for these anime products has been so sluggish on accepting the Blu-ray format. I've always thought that anime fans were "ahead of the curve" when it comes to technology.

It's not like Japan where the high prices leads to a self-selecting group of consumers who are more tech savvy. Amongst Western anime consumers, people familiar with fansubs are probably those have moved on to blu-rays.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
DVD is fine for casual watching, like when I rent from the library, but if I'm ever going to collect any meatspace movie, it will likely be on BluRay from now on. For older going anime going to BD it gets trickier, as HD transfers occur at a much slower pace, and just less often overall. It feels like any horror or ninja film people can get masters to will find a way to get a BluRay out, yet there's hundreds of great anime films and movies that have either been left behind or no one's bothered to remaster yet. Maybe it's just the difference in numbers, that because there's so much more live-action, more will get BDs. And even if something does get a BD in Japan, it's mostly unlikely to get licensed and released here. Newer stuff should always have a BD option available. Like if Media Blasters don't have Ladies Versus Butlers, I'll just wait.

I wish BD drives would start becoming standard on laptops, then with HDTV connectivity via HDMI-out (or Mac's proprietary crap), you wouldn't even require a stand-alone player. The lack of the BD player being everywhere is why people still have use for DVD.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:35 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Internal laptop BD drives are less common, though you can still buy OEM versions to fit into your own laptop, but a solution are external USB powered slim BD drives, which are affordable and widely available.

Really? I figured BD drives on laptops would be commonplace by now. I've had one in my laptops for the last 4-5 years now, and while yes, the laptops I buy are much more expensive than the ones Average Joe Sixpack buys, I'd have thought that after 4 years they would be rather ubiquitous.

Anyways, Keonyn has long been on the "physical is dead, long live digital" bandwagon, so there's no point in listening to his doom and gloom prognostications. He keeps hoping for the day it happens so he can say "I told you so", but if that day is coming, it's still many, many years away. As has been mentioned, without DRM-free digital files, digital will never complete replace physical. Can I imagine a time when digital outsells physical? Sure, I could see that. But I don't see physical ever being completely dead. Not in my lifetime at any rate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5