• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Aya Hirano: Prohibited From Acting in New Anime Works

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Lightning Leo wrote:
It sounds strange that she's being "prohibited", I really liked her VA work as many do. But I guess the important question for her is if she really likes it and all the baggage that goes with it. Being a star ain't easy! Cool

If she really wishes to continue doing VA work, then I'm sure she can always leave her agency and a whole line of companies will be waiting to pick her up. If not, well that's history, and like all things that era will be swallowed whole into the infinity of countless times forgotten. I wish her well on whatever she decides to do.

you can't leave until your contact is expired. and he won't be leaving the VA any time soon. Fairy Tail will last her many years. I'm pretty sure, you will see her in other anime soon too.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
uh, that didn't stop Mari Ijima from doing her music act in USA, and look at her. Mari doing a good job in US.

Who?

You didn't watch Macross, did you?? She's best known as the voice of Lynn Minmei. She even reprised her role for the ADV uncut dub of Macross 20 years after her Japanese role. You can read about her here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
The funny thing is she is only popular because of her role in Haruhi before that people really had no idea Anime hyper

I wonder what the real story is ...
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: No [expletive] excessive quoting. If it's a direct reply in which your post will a appear right under the other, there's no need to quote. Or simply use @. Or hell, even quote the relevant parts, not 5 different [expletive] quotes. -TK]
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
But it certainly was a shock. I mean, how many other VA's have been PROHIBITED from voice acting?

There are a few that haven't worked much lately and I suspect have been blacklisted due to similar slipups in their personal lives. I'm almost certain Norio Imamura has been, for example.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't doubt it. Japanese anime survives by the wallets of its otaku. Getting on their bad side (whether right or wrong) is bad for business. Same happens here, look at Pee Wee Herman.

[EDIT: No [expletive] excessive quoting. If it's a direct reply in which your post will a appear right under the other, there's no need to quote. Or simply use @. -TK]
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
How Pee Wee Herman was criucified for doing something every hypocrite guy does was a shame. Not a great example at all.

The point is these female and somtimes male Japanese media personalities are fired and punished for reasons that should be illegal in a truly free, equitable society.

[EDIT: No [expletive] excessive quoting. If it's a direct reply in which your post will a appear right under the other, there's no need to quote. Or simply use @. -TK]
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
I heard that she wasn't being given any roles about a month ago because of the scandal. You know, the one where she admitted on TV that she liked older men and liked having sex with them, and constantly cheated.

How exactly can she "cheat" on anyone? Rolling Eyes She's not married, and if your other scurrilous rumor is accepted as true, she's not a reliable lover either. I fail to see how any man can imagine her cheating on them.

She's twenty-three years old! She gets to be adult.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:

How Pee Wee Herman was criucified for doing something every hypocrite guy does was a shame. Not a great example at all.

The point is these female and somtimes male Japanese media personalities are fired and punished for reasons that should be illegal in a truly free, equitable society.

There is no such thing as a truly free and equitable society. In order to have such a society, everyone would have to be practically the same mentally. Nice hive mind.

While it may be unfair to the actresses and actors, it does make good business sense. If the actors and actresses private and public lives decrease the value of a property, why would any studio want them. Its called biting the hand that feeds you.

Think you are being unfair to Japan too, these things happen in the U.S. to some degree, and is quite common around the rest of the world.

Charlie Sheen and the Afflack duck voice guy are recent examples.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:
I heard that she wasn't being given any roles about a month ago because of the scandal. You know, the one where she admitted on TV that she liked older men and liked having sex with them, and constantly cheated.

How exactly can she "cheat" on anyone? Rolling Eyes She's not married, and if your other scurrilous rumor is accepted as true, she's not a reliable lover either. I fail to see how any man can imagine her cheating on them.

She's twenty-three years old! She gets to be adult.

in the otaku's mind she is hauri or konata and seeing there beloved characters defiled like that makes them mad. They have it in there head they are allowed to only be touched by them and no one else etc etc etc. I can keep this on but you see where I am going with this..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
finalnight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Dr.Luigi wrote:
=_= Personally I want to know why my Favorite Japanese Idol is not allowed to VOICE ACT!!!! WHY?! IS IT because SHE'S A SINGER?! DID SHE PISS SOMEONE OFF?! WHY WHY WHY?! Evil or Very Mad

Probably because of crazies like you. Rolling Eyes
TJR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:39 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

How exactly can she "cheat" on anyone? Rolling Eyes She's not married

You don't have to be married to cheat. If you're in an exclusive relationship and you start dating other people on the side, that's cheating (in marriage, it's called an affair).

OTOH, if two people are just seeing each other casually, it's different.

Quote:
Maybe she violated the "don't rock the boat" agency rules, by having a boyfriend or getting smeared "non-pure" or something bad like that.

That's only with regard to her otaku-oriented activity, for which they don't have many stringent rules. Hirano's agency focuses on mainstream idol/celebrity stuff, and that's where they've been trying to take her (Hirano's wish, although the plan has backfired so far).

Her commentary was supposed to elevate her popularity with teenage girls. However, the intended effect didn't happen.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
teferi wrote:
Quote:

I'm sorry, did you just call me a scrub? Wow ,1997 called, they want their archaic poseur slang back. LOL, that's hilarious on its own. And all I see is you arguing that she should bend over for some grossly sexist system that demands females in media to act like like the complete property of creepy virgin fanbois. She can act however she wants. It has nothing to do with her acting or singing. The fact you critcize her for that is insanely pathetic

Scrub is really prevalent in gaming communities today even o,o

Dunno when it became archaic, but I hear and see it used all the time.

It's referring to the song "No Scrubs" by TLC from 1999. It's a song that discusses the unwillingness of women to engage in a relationship with men who are unemployed, grimy, unsophisticated, or poorly-mannered.

The term is earlier than that too. I remember playing in a b-ball league, definitely before 1999, when my teammates and I were thinking, "We beat all the scrubs, but we can't beat the elite teams - what does that make us?" Laughing

Then there was the Scrubs TV series (2001-2010).

Lightning Leo wrote:

If she really wishes to continue doing VA work, then I'm sure she can always leave her agency

In Japan, you don't employ the agency - the agency employs you! Laughing
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quote
It'll be interesting to see if she gets replaced in the role of Lucy Heartfilia in Fairy Tail if that series reaches a third season.
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:23 am Reply with quote
this isn't shocking at all. japanese media companies own the talent and tell them what they can and can't do. it's like they're dogs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5