• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Dragon's Crown

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draneor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Lets be realistic here, the majority of the fanbase of a game like Dragon's Crown is what [...] but the point being at the end of the day what is the point in pleasing a group who wouldn't even care about the game if their was no controversy.
It's entirely possible to like RPGs and nonetheless not like certain games or aspects of them. Or, for that matter, not like multiple aspects of them.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:34 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Lets be realistic here, the majority of the fanbase of a game like Dragon's Crown is what. Probably the same fanbase that are making a ridiculous amount of Doushinji about Amazon and Sorceress. This game is not targeted at the same group that, say MLPs targets, well maybe that was a bad example, but the point being at the end of the day what is the point in pleasing a group who wouldn't even care about the game if their was no controversy.

There's ways of targeting a specific audience that aren't demeaning towards women or that don't exclude them entirely. There are ways of writing characters for a specific audience without insulting other audiences.

CrownKlown wrote:

Also for the record, why was Dragon's Crown singled out. Has anyone every played anything from Suda. Shadows was a solidy rated game even by critics, and it has a scene where you run across you naked girlfriend while copies of her pole dance around you topless. Not to mention as many times as she is pictured, she usually is wearing no more than lingere, oh and she is being brutally murdered over and over again over the course of the game. I did not hear too many complaints from that one.

Dragon's Crown just came out and this debate is relatively new to gaming. It wasn't there the last time Suda51 made a big triple-A game(so far as I know, I don't keep up to date with the games he makes).
Also Anita Sarkeesian just released a new video last week.
CrownKlown wrote:

Also I will point out the criticism is rather skewed. Where is the outrage when in Fallout 3, I could could enslave children and sell them to slave traders. Yes folks, that but one of the many the slightly morally ambiguous things you can do in Fallout 3. So God forbid a game shows a character with large breast, but murder, slavery, cannibalism, etc. A OK champ.

This is a bit of a strawman. Just because games have issues with violence, doesn't mean how they treat women isn't an issue.

Also just because you CAN do something in a game, doesn't mean you HAVE to do it. Gamers have no control over how women are written in games.
ishmael

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
This whole art this is annoying me pretty good. So many reviews are complaining about it and there is no reason for it. Yes the women are hyper sexualized but so are the men. The women have big breasts and the men all have insanely over the top amounts of muscles.

It annoys me that people think the art in the game is distasteful. Why did no one complain in the past Vanillaware games? Odin Sphere had several female characters with over the top bust sizes but no one complained then. Why is this suddenly a issue now?

That's like how some groups are saying Wolverine is sexist because of a scene showing a woman in underwear. Not only do I feel like it's a complaint from grandmas with a steel rod up theirs (I feel that in today's world, it's a really spuerficial complaint), but it ignores the fact that in any X-Man movie, Hugh Jackman is shown shirtless or naked all in muscles and six-pack. The double standard sometimes makes me wanna puke. Mad
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
Lets be realistic here, the majority of the fanbase of a game like Dragon's Crown is what [...] but the point being at the end of the day what is the point in pleasing a group who wouldn't even care about the game if their was no controversy.
It's entirely possible to like RPGs and nonetheless not like certain games or aspects of them. Or, for that matter, not like multiple aspects of them.

Yes, that is why I said majority. I did not say ever person who plays dragon crown will like it, but I imagine the majority will either like it or at worse case not care. The amount of people who intended the buy the game and be offended is probably quite small.

Also I figured out the answer to my own question earlier. The reason Shadows and Fallout 3 probably got a pass, is because...................................drumroll...................................................... you would actually have to play the game to find those aspect of it. While with dragon crown, you could just be a half a**ed lazy writer look at the cover and make your review. Otherwise there is not reason those other two games escaped criticism. And this goes back to my original point, the games appeal to their intended audience, not critics.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
Lets be realistic here, the majority of the fanbase of a game like Dragon's Crown is what. Probably the same fanbase that are making a ridiculous amount of Doushinji about Amazon and Sorceress. This game is not targeted at the same group that, say MLPs targets, well maybe that was a bad example, but the point being at the end of the day what is the point in pleasing a group who wouldn't even care about the game if their was no controversy.

There's ways of targeting a specific audience that aren't demeaning towards women or that don't exclude them entirely. There are ways of writing characters for a specific audience without insulting other audiences.

CrownKlown wrote:

Also for the record, why was Dragon's Crown singled out. Has anyone every played anything from Suda. Shadows was a solidy rated game even by critics, and it has a scene where you run across you naked girlfriend while copies of her pole dance around you topless. Not to mention as many times as she is pictured, she usually is wearing no more than lingere, oh and she is being brutally murdered over and over again over the course of the game. I did not hear too many complaints from that one.

Dragon's Crown just came out and this debate is relatively new to gaming. It wasn't there the last time Suda51 made a big triple-A game(so far as I know, I don't keep up to date with the games he makes).
Also Anita Sarkeesian just released a new video last week.
CrownKlown wrote:

Also I will point out the criticism is rather skewed. Where is the outrage when in Fallout 3, I could could enslave children and sell them to slave traders. Yes folks, that but one of the many the slightly morally ambiguous things you can do in Fallout 3. So God forbid a game shows a character with large breast, but murder, slavery, cannibalism, etc. A OK champ.

This is a bit of a strawman. Just because games have issues with violence, doesn't mean how they treat women isn't an issue.

Also just because you CAN do something in a game, doesn't mean you HAVE to do it. Gamers have no control over how women are written in games.

How is calling out a group for hypocrisy, strawman exactly? Lets get real here, if you showed the majority of people the scene in the game fall out where the guy is "hey can you get punk from lamplight falls, I want to make him into a slave, oh and he is under 13" and show a picture of the sorceress, I imagine the overwhelming majority would be appalled by the former rather than the latter. Nothing was said about the former. So calling into question the criteria that the media uses for outrage is quite apt. Both are "offensive" representations portrayed in the same media, with different reactions. Honestly I don't care about either one at the end of the day, its a video game and for all I care you can do whatever you want in a game. My issue is the reaction to two similar issue by a common source.

Also what the hell does Dragon's Crown being out or not Have to do with shadows of the damned. My point was Shadows had content much more "offensive" to women than Dragon, and no criticism. It should not matter whether DC is out or not. The point is why are you taking issue with one game, when another game had the same "flaws" years before and no one cared. Your issue I thought was with offensive portrayals of women, in which case you should be up in arms over Shadows, but apparently that came out when DC was not out yet, so its not important. So lets get straight to the point, you could careless about how women are represented, you just saw an easy bandwagon to jump on with DC and that is what you did.

You sir, do not have basic reading and logic comprehension skills. You do not have the ability to read my post which clearly show related items and the discrepancy in their treatments and understand the underlying issue.
Kebble

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
It's time to explore the outdoors people! Reality is calling your name!
lostrune

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

Laughing A bit silly to expect every game to cater to everyone, or to your own views specifically. You might as well take out gun violence in games because it might exclude people who dislike guns or were involved in a shooting, and writing them into a story insults and offends that audience, so I suppose games would be better off without guns in them by this logic.

SammyClassicSonicFan wrote:
Women power fantasies just so happen to line up with men sexual fantasies Razz Just read a women's magazine once in awhile. Or, ya know, actually talk to a girl.

Laughing I don't think we'd have the make-up, beauty, and fashion industry if these kinds of 'sex fantasies' weren't grounded on some kind of aspiration for the average woman.

Last edited by lostrune on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
@Hitokiri1 No, that shit does not matter. Only the gameplay, controls and level design do.

And this is why I have no interest in discussing this with you. This is equivalent of saying that the only thing that matters in a book review is the paper quality, binding quality, and font. Both are equally stupid.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

How is calling out a group for hypocrisy, strawman exactly? Lets get real here, if you showed the majority of people the scene in the game fall out where the guy is "hey can you get punk from lamplight falls, I want to make him into a slave, oh and he is under 13" and show a picture of the sorceress, I imagine the overwhelming majority would be appalled by the former rather than the latter. Nothing was said about the former. So calling into question the criteria that the media uses for outrage is quite apt.

You can be critical of different aspects of media. It's entirely possible to say "this is bad, and this is also bad". You don't have to purely criticize one aspect of the gaming scene. Just because one game had slave children in it, doesn't mean that you can't critisize Dragon's Crown for it's portrayal of women. They aren't mutually exclusive.

CrownKlown wrote:

Also what the hell does Dragon's Crown being out or not Have to do with shadows of the damned. My point was Shadows had content much more "offensive" to women than Dragon, and no criticism. It should not matter whether DC is out or not. The point is why are you taking issue with one game, when another game had the same "flaws" years before and no one cared. Your issue I thought was with offensive portrayals of women, in which case you should be up in arms over Shadows, but apparently that came out when DC was not out yet, so its not important.

My point was that Shadows came out years ago when this wasn't a hot button issue. Over the past year this has become more and more talked about in the gaming community. It's a big issue, because it's not just how females are treated in games, it's how the gaming community treats female gamers.

Also, again, just because Shadows was worse, doesn't excuse DC's portrayal of women. There are a ton of games that treat women better than DC or Shadows, that doesn't make a lick of difference here either.

CrownKlown wrote:

You are not even a strawman. You do not have basic reading and logic comprehension skills. You do not have the ability to read my post which clearly show related items and the discrepancy in their treatments and understand the underlying issue.

I don't think this kind of lashing out is healthy, were talking about video games here. You posted some poor arguments that rely on several logical fallacies.

lostrune wrote:

A bit silly to expect every game to cater to everyone, or to your own views specifically. You might as well take out gun violence in games because it might exclude people who dislike guns or were involved in a shooting, and writing them into a story insults and offends that audience, so I suppose games would be better off without guns in them by this logic.

I'm not talking about catering to every audience, I'm talking about not excluding a big chunk of people who happen to live on this planet.

A good example of what I'm talking about can be found in most of the recent Bioware games. Bioware writes some characters with women in mind. The biggest example is Mass Effect 2, the character Thane was written specifically to attract a female audience. Even though the game's demographic and primary audience was male.

This is on top of not having really shit female characters and plenty of male focused fan-service (seriously ass-shots galore).
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I for one am glad that George Kamitani stood up for his game and did not back down in the controversy, or pull out of the western market, or censor it. Heck, they even went ahead with the artbook, like a big middle finger to all the haters. Very rare for a Japanese company, let alone a Japanese developer to personally stand up for their work.

Oh, and as usual, Todd's review needs some corrections:
Quote:
Dragon's Crown is an enjoyable game if you can overlook such things, but perhaps you shouldn't.

Dragon's Crown is an even more enjoyable game because such things.

Quote:
− Levels are repeated, some of that gorgeous art is distasteful

"− Levels are repeated, but all of the art is gorgeous, especially the females"

Of course it goes without saying there's lots of male flesh in the game too, so there's enough art to satisfy both persuasions.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Dragon's Crown is an enjoyable game if you can overlook such things, but perhaps you shouldn't.

"Overlook" it? I am going to appreciate every single frame, though admittedly I'll enjoy some frames more then others.

I thought Kamitani's response was freakin' epic, personally.

I find this whole "thing" quite hilarious; it just reminds me of my wife's comment when I told her about Lightning's new bust size and catgirl DLC costume - "She needs boobs for that outfit, what's the problem?"

This has been made into something bigger then it really should have been.
lostrune

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
I'm not talking about catering to every audience, I'm talking about not excluding a big chunk of people who happen to live on this planet.

A good example of what I'm talking about can be found in most of the recent Bioware games. Bioware writes some characters with women in mind. The biggest example is Mass Effect 2, the character Thane was written specifically to attract a female audience. Even though the game's demographic and primary audience was male.

This is on top of not having really shit female characters and plenty of male focused fan-service (seriously ass-shots galore).

So excluding one group of people, that is people with issues of violence, is fine and dandy because you don't find issue, but another group, women, must be coddled and made as included as possible. Am I reading your response right? Laughing I suppose all the people offended at the violence levels in the Mass Effect series get the short end of the stick in this regard and can't play the game, but you see no issue in that so long as the group you are advocating for gets their cake and can eat it as well, a group correct me if I'm wrong that you are not actually a part of yet acting like you're a spokesperson for. Smile Seems a bit hypocritical to me.
macloud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

For the record, I'm buying this game because it looks like fun.

this.
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
daveriley wrote:
Please explain (in 300 words or less) how "the men are just as bad as the women!"

When this:

Is the Dwarf's stun animation.

And this:

Is the Sorceress's.

Well, at least the sorceress looks like a human being.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to make a small statistical point. (Synopsis and summation not counted)

Number of words devoted (generously counted) to the question of the character designs: 141/869 (16.22%)

Number of words implying negative judgement on the character designs: 46/869 (5.29%)

Number of posts in this thread that implicate the character designs: Like Hell I’m reading all of that to figure that out; I’ll just say 57/60 (95%)

Post that introduced the subject: The first one

The problem here is not the review.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 18