• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Man-Faye

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
YOU'RE NOT A CELEBRITY. STOP THINKING SO HIGHLY OF YOURSELF. YOU ARE AN UGLY, ANNOYING BASTARD WHO IS JUST MAKING ANIME FANS LOOK BAD. AX WAS RIGHT IN BANNING YOU AND I HOPE ALL FUTURE CONS PREVENT YOU FROM ACCESSING THEM. YOU HAVE RUINED A GREAT ANIME CHARACTER AND FOR THAT YOU WILL ALWAYS BE HATED. I HOPE YOU DIE OF GONNORHIA AND ROT IN HELL.

^
Speaking of people making anime fans look bad

Man-Faye is in no way some kind of hero. He isn't protesting because he cares deeply about civil liberties but rather just because he wants to be able to show off at cons. However his case brings up some interesting issues about AX having double standards. As to people saying he is just an attenion seeker, so what? The guy likes attention, it's hardly the worst character trait someone can have.

Quote:
try seeing that he's actually trying to stand for people's rights.

He isn't trying to stand up for people rights, don't go over board. He may say that but he really just cares about them letting him in wearing the Faye costume.

Last edited by Mr Mania on Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Mr Mania wrote:
Man-Faye is in no way some kind of hero. He isn't protesting because he cares deeply about civil liberties but rather just because he wants to be able to show off at cons. However his case brings up some interesting issues about AX having double standards. As to people saying he is just an attenion seeker, so what? .

Agreed. Man-Faye is an attention seeker but aren't most cosplayers attention seekers?

The question and concern here is over the double standard. What is good for one should be good for all. Don't be hypocritical. Picking and choosing who you will allow to wear skimpy outfits isn't a good policy. In fact, it really isn't a policy at all. It's cowardice. I think that it just may be time to revisit the actual policies.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:47 pm Reply with quote
So the next time you guys go to AX, make sure to complain about every outfit you feel is offensive to you. See what they do about it.
KiraYamato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of tempted to. It won't do shit, but I want to see what happens.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Mr Mania wrote:
Quote:
YOU'RE NOT A CELEBRITY. STOP THINKING SO HIGHLY OF YOURSELF. YOU ARE AN UGLY, ANNOYING BASTARD WHO IS JUST MAKING ANIME FANS LOOK BAD. AX WAS RIGHT IN BANNING YOU AND I HOPE ALL FUTURE CONS PREVENT YOU FROM ACCESSING THEM. YOU HAVE RUINED A GREAT ANIME CHARACTER AND FOR THAT YOU WILL ALWAYS BE HATED. I HOPE YOU DIE OF GONNORHIA AND ROT IN HELL.

^
Speaking off people making anime fans look bad

What are you trying to say?
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Man-Faye's awesome. I heard about him and I've never been to a con yet Crying or Very sad but yeah. It's good to be different, and you see so many icky Faye costumes, but his rocks. It's literally the best one I have seen (based on looking at cosplay pictures on the internet)
All Arrembaggio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:05 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
His costume is not even accurate when it comes Faye from cowboy bebop.I mean honestly the shorts he wears are way to short.

Yes, they are too short. That could have to do with his weight. I know that if you wear shirts that are too tight, your belly shows. If you are overweight, depending on the shirt size, the shirt will be showing off your girth more.

I also agree that it is discrimination to allow women to dress skimpily, yet have a man do something similar, and get in trouble, just because the women look appealing.

The problem is that being in one of those conventions is not a right, but a privilege. Man Faye's costume now exists for shock value and attention-seeking. That's why people probably complain about it.

When a woman dresses provocatively, and she's skinny, she most likely isn't trying to get a rise out of anyone.

Last edited by All Arrembaggio on Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:

Don't you realize? You should never speak off someone. Speaking off is bad.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote
This may or may not apply to the article depending on your point of view, but just a point to consider-

Bad cosplay is bad cosplay, regardless of gender of cosplayer. If one bad cosplay happens to end up crossing the line, that's not discrimination, because it's just that one costume, not necessarily representing the whole at all. I'm sure if a female cosplayer walked in as manga-version Chocolate Misu, for example, they'd be asked to leave and come back wearing something more appropriate quite quickly.
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Starwind Amada wrote:

Don't you realize? You should never speak off someone. Speaking off is bad.

Congratulations you should be so proud OF (look me get right, me smart) yourself for picking up on that. I’ve edited it especially for you.
Zakuro1208

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:03 pm Reply with quote
That was a fun interview.
The whole entire crossplaying issue thing-well, Im for letting people do what they want (Being a crossplayer myself, I very much don't mind. Then again, I am a girl, so I dont go through as much discrimination...) and such, so his costume seriously doesn't bother me at all. I find it hilarous and would think him a fun person to talk with. ._oa
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:23 pm Reply with quote
yoshitoshi wrote:
Well this sure is a way to cover ONE side of the story, how about the other. Rolling Eyes

If you believe for one second that he was completely innocent, then you probably also believed there were WMDs in Iraq. I dare your reporter to call up AX and get the real story, or at least the other side of it if you are going to give him a soapbox to slander them.

AX is fully welcome to present their side. This wasn't a "story," nor was it an expose of AX, nor was it even a news item. This was just an interview with a man many readers have requested to know more about. He could have gone through the entire interview without mentioning AX just once, and I still would have found it interesting.

The same would happen if say, Director X of Y Anime decided to get up and talk about how Cartoon Network horribly mistreated him or something. I would certainly leave it in, but the original intention of the interview would still have been to talk to Director X, not to give him a soapbox.

I'd love to talk to AX. Hell, PM me a phone number for the con chair, and I'll get an interview going ASAP.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Wow. After hearing the stories behind the costume, I kinda repect him more now. Well, as much as you can repect a guy who looks like that who dresses as Faye.

I know there are a couple of male character I'd like to play, but don't have the body large enough or hairless enough. Though at least the latter can be covered. (Or uncovered for comic effect as seen with Man-Faye.)

Though I know some other crossplayers don't like Man-Faye because he treats it as a joke. Than again the same could be said for cosplay in general. Though he certainly does state he doens't mean to disrepect the craft. I've learned what a pain and what work it is with the 2 kinda 3 costumes I've done.

-Xenos
Juniper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:54 pm Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
I'm sure if a female cosplayer walked in as manga-version Chocolate Misu, for example, they'd be asked to leave and come back wearing something more appropriate quite quickly.

That's very untrue. There have been *several* manga-version Chocolate cosplayers (female, too), and none of them have ever been asked to leave. All of them have just double-side sticked suspenders to their nipples, and the con has let them go, although that is EXTREMELY indecent.

Here's plenty of other cosplayers who have never gotten thrown out of cons, although I'd be *very* concerned to see any children catch even a small glimpse of them.

NSFW: (ha, and yet they're at family cons)
Exhibit 1
Exhibit 2

EDIT: HA.
Exhibit 3
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Zakuro1208 wrote:
That was a fun interview.
The whole entire crossplaying issue thing-well, Im for letting people do what they want (Being a crossplayer myself, I very much don't mind. Then again, I am a girl, so I don't go through as much discrimination...) and such, so his costume seriously doesn't bother me at all. I find it hilarous and would think him a fun person to talk with. ._oa

Interesting comment...

what does everyone else think?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8