• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Milky Holmes Cast to Voice My Little Pony in Japan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quote
Well shit, now Japan will have Bronies too. I'm sure they'll enjoy the show, though.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:30 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Fencedude5609 wrote:
I hate to break it to you buuuuuuuuuuuuuut...

Yes, I saw some of those doujinshi at C83. But keep in mind a lot of those were also written by westerners, like mentioned above.

I must have been imagining all those Japanese Pony doujins I saw on EX. Clearly.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:42 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
According to Bryan Konietzko and Mike DiMartino, the creators of Avatar: The Last Airbender, Nick Japan actually pulled the show before it had a chance to air in Japan due to a licensing issue/disagreement. They mentioned this in an interview when asked about their disappointments because they wanted their show to air in Japan, and get feedback from the country that made the animation that inspired them.

How old is that statement, I wonder? I saw snippits of the second season in Japanese... I would assume that means the first season aired there the year before... though I suppose that's still just an assumption. Either way I guess it's all moot in this day and age,

I'm pretty sure it came up in one of the video interviews they did while Legend of Korra was airing last spring. I searched the web for the exact quote, but I couldn't find it. I did find the Japanese Nickelodeon Avatar site. There is some limited video from season 1 and two character portraits from season 2. Nothing from Season 3 or Legend of Korra. But Nickjapan.com is a very bare-bones website that only lists 2 or 3 animated shows that are still airing in America (Spongebob, Penguins of Madagascar and Dora). In comparison, Nickelodeon in Germany seems to have all the recent Nick shows from the United States. So I would assume that it isn't about Avatar in particular, but a problem with many shows including Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Big Time Rush, etc.

I suppose you would assume that Nickelodeon shows don't do well in Japan and all get cancelled early, if they air at all. Huge entertainment conglomerates rarely share information on their decisions with the general public so who knows?
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:08 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Well My Little Pony is a meme. None of those other shows are.

You had some good points up until this. Reducing an entire fandom to a "meme" is something people do all the time when they want to diminish someone else's tastes. I've heard anime described as a "meme" plenty of times (especially during the industry's boom years) but describing it as one is complete nonsense. A meme is something that's repeated for the sake of repetition. It's not something people have real enthusiasm for. If MLP were a meme, its fandom would have burned out in a month or two. Instead it's been popular for two and a half years. That's not a meme, that's a fandom, and it doesn't stop being one just because you dislike it.

Quote:
Just look at how Spongebob gets over ten times as many viewers as My Little Pony, but is nowhere near as talked about. Most fans of Spongebob don't feel the need to flaunt it or talk about it.

You clearly don't visit the same internet forums I do. I've seen fans of practically every popular cartoon (including Spongebob) freak out over the silliest things. Don't act like embarrassing behavior is something the pony fandom has a copyright on. We both know that's nonsense.

The only reason pony fans get so much negative attention is because they're the most talked-about fandom at the moment. Anime fans used to be in that position, and we were insulted in more or less the same way. So it's disappointing to see some of us turn around and do the same thing to another group as soon as the attention is off of us.

Last edited by Wyvern on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:09 am Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
Is the reason this is reported is because it's the same cast as Milky Holmes? Japanese voice casts for American cartoons are rarely, if ever, reported here.

It could be the level of marketing push, but if I recall, there were a lot of people saying that the show had an infinitesimal chance of ever airing in Japan because 1) It's not associated with a network that exists in Japan like CN or Disney and 2) Shows with talking animals are generally associated with Pre-school programming and probably would get very small ratings compared to other imports.

Plus there's the whole "airing in both Japanese AND English" which I don't think is done very often. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
>_> I'm an anime fan and I hate it. Don't lump everyone together just because they like anime. Motorcity and Thundercats and Avatar and Tron Legacy and whatever else you want to use aren't as "popular" as My Little Pony? Well My Little Pony is a meme. None of those other shows are. Those shows don't have a vocal fanbase to talk about them. Ratings-wise, MLP does worse than those shows.. that would be the silent majority in action. Just look at how Spongebob gets over ten times as many viewers as My Little Pony, but is nowhere near as talked about. Most fans of Spongebob don't feel the need to flaunt it or talk about it. We doen't have Spongebros after all. >_> You should be glad you don't have any brony equivalents in those fanbases. That's not something you should want.

Man you sound so bitter (like me when Gravity Falls first premiered and people were citing it as the best and most worthwhile Disney show in ages). True, I think the whole cognitive dissonance and irony of MLP actually being watchable is somewhat of a mem that people push (sometimes obnoxiously) over the internet. But it does get solid ratings all around, plus it's very comparable to slice of life anime (I got into MLP just after watching Kamichu, wasn't a big leap by any means)
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:11 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping its a success~ thus would mean possible MLP:FiM trading art figures and possible resin statues.

OMG, please resin statues.. Pleasepleaseplease~ one of Discord. I BEG THEE for anything of Discord. Gimme plushies/blankets/toys... anything...! gimme my villainz.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:39 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Just look at how Spongebob gets over ten times as many viewers as My Little Pony, but is nowhere near as talked about. Most fans of Spongebob don't feel the need to flaunt it or talk about it. We doen't have Spongebros after all. >_> You should be glad you don't have any brony equivalents in those fanbases. That's not something you should want.

Um, Spongebob was a thing. A very big thing. Go back 10 years ago or so, and Spongebob was the hottest thing for young adults. I never got into it (I didn't have cable back then) but I had friends who had Spongebob car accessories and the like.

Spongebob doesn't get as much attention now as it did when it first starting airing, but then again, neither does the Simpsons. Or even South Park, for that matter. Doesn't mean adults stopped watching it. Rolling Eyes

I think it was the fact that Bushiroad annouced that famous seiyuu would be voicing MLP characters at a special *event* that made this anime-newsworthy, not the crossover of anime and MLP fandoms.

For the record, I'd love to see more news articles about domestic animation in Japan, especially if famous seiyuu are involved in the dubbing. Adventure Time starting airing in Japan in June (and Pendleton Ward voices Lumpy Space Princess in Japanese! Trippy!). I wonder how its doing.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:34 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I must have been imagining all those Japanese Pony doujins I saw on EX. Clearly.

What are you talking about? Yes, I see a couple on EX, those are the ones I meant. Those debuted at Fur-st, a small furry convention. Not Comiket. You know there's more than one convention in Japan, right?

Keonyn wrote:
I could not care less what your take is on it. If people are guilty of doing as you say then you are just as guilty as being unfairly dismissive due to your own overblown obsessions and prejudice. I simply find it amusing you're in here attacking the credibility of others when you've managed to whittle your own to nothing to so many people here. Are there westerner made doujinshi? Sure. Doesn't necessarily mean that there's no fanbase there to receive the series or that there's plenty of legit content that is not western invented, for doujinshi and otherwise. Your leaps to irrational conclusions based on minimal information only betrays your own bias, as usual. View it as "projecting" all you want, but there's hardly a person on this forum that doesn't recognize you for what you are.

I never said there was no chance for a fan-base at all. My original post was just correcting people's misinformation on the subject. That's not being dismissive, that's just stating facts; well, it's dismissive towards the people who thought that was true I suppose... and it's certainly not prejudice to do so unless being the unfortunate one to point out a misconception of something American in Japan is prejudice.

As far as credibility goes, well, it does probably say something when a guy who isn't even into the show knows more about the show in Japan than the ones who are. If someone doesn't want to believe it from a "he dislikes American stuff" perspective then they can look at it from "he routinely visits friends and family in Japan and is heavily invested in the fan market there" perspective. And in that perspective, yes, there are a couple Japanese made doujinshi for it. Most of which are done by the same couple of people, and most of which originate in Fur-st, a small-ish convention (200 goers or so) dedicated to anthropomorphic stuff. To me that is not indicative of a "relatively decent sized crowd". No more than a few pieces of fanart on DeviantArt of an old obscure 70s anime indicates there's a "relatively decent sized crowd" for that show in America.

For the record, yes, Finn from Adventure Time does have Romi Park as his seiyuu. Gumball from Amazing World of Gumball has Junko Takeuchi as his and you can find quite a number of other famous anime seiyuu work on American cartoons in Japan. That's kind of thing is not really uncommon, actually.

Last edited by TitanXL on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:41 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
Well, guess if they can like furry Pandas, they can like furry Ponies..............

Guess haters gonna hate though! Laughing

Some of my J-pals haven't been this enthusiastic since the heydays of Harry Potter coming over.............
(I'm not much of a MLP fan, but they are.)

Let's hope they don't Japanize it! Because we all know how we hate hate edits! Laughing

mewpudding101 wrote:
Only been a short time since this article was posted, and already so many responses. Pony fans. Extremely scary.

More than moe fans? Laughing

Splitter wrote:

Jesus, pudding, this isn't even close to "extremely scary pony fans".

They remind us of the wotaku! Laughing

Myaow wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
Heck, I want to see Japanese dubs of other shows, ones I do watch. I already saw a short clip of Japanese Gravity Falls. Disney is pretty quick in Japan and a huge company there obviously. Not sure about Cartoon Network shows like Regular Show and Adventure Time.

Adventure Time JUST got a Japanese dub / TV serialization very recently. Romi Paku is the voice of Finn and Rie Tanaka does Princess Bubblegum!

Who's gonna be Fionna and Cake?! And how they do Lady Rainicorn's Chinese speak? A singer for Marceline the Vampire Queen? And a real 13-yr-old voicing 13-yr-old Princess Bubblegum? Laughing

Crispy45 wrote:

Just look at how Spongebob gets over ten times as many viewers as My Little Pony, but is nowhere near as talked about. Most fans of Spongebob don't feel the need to flaunt it or talk about it.

Oh gods no! When Spongebob was at its peak, everyone and anyone was talking about it! Even celebrities were coming out of the closet left and right! It was almost embarrassing. And the singing, oh the singing........... Laughing

Keonyn wrote:

Are there westerner made doujinshi? Sure. Doesn't necessarily mean that there's no fanbase there to receive the series or that there's plenty of legit content that is not western invented, for doujinshi and otherwise.

Most doujin based on anime are made by Japanese, so it's reasonable that most doujin based on MLP are made by Westerners.
Yet that doesn't mean anime doesn't have a fanbase in the West.

Wyvern wrote:
Crispy45 wrote:
Well My Little Pony is a meme. None of those other shows are.

You had some good points up until this. Reducing an entire fandom to a "meme" is something people do all the time when they want to diminish someone else's tastes. I've heard anime described as a "meme" plenty of times

Well, they still do with anything loli- or moe-centered, unfortunately. Confused

Agent355 wrote:

Adventure Time starting airing in Japan in June (and Pendleton Ward voices Lumpy Space Princess in Japanese! Trippy!).

Well, he created it, so he can do whatever he wants! But it won't be much of a trap! Laughing
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:54 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
And how they do Lady Rainicorn's Chinese speak?

Lady Rainicorn speaks Korean, not Chinese.
lostrune

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:08 am Reply with quote
I'd hate to be this show that has to compete against Pretty Cure. Laughing
nospoon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:45 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:18 am Reply with quote
If they can make the ponies into their human expies in doujinshi and fanart, that'd be wonderful. Then it'd be just like one of my Japanese animes. I like the cartoon, but an overwhelming majority of the vocal fanbase is obnoxious.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:00 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If they can make the ponies into their human expies in doujinshi and fanart, that'd be wonderful. Then it'd be just like one of my Japanese animes. I like the cartoon, but an overwhelming majority of the vocal fanbase is obnoxious.

I think it really depends on how their being vocal. If they just talk about the show alot, yes that can grow tiring, but its not too bad, but if their actively going out of their way to post Pony memes, music videos, etc in every thread in a forum. Or trying to tell someone how much better it is then every other TV show in existence, yes that is annoying, and fans like that in any fan base should be put in the digital time out chair *if only there was such a thing*

Personally though being a brony myself, the only thing that really bothers me is how gullible alot of fans are, they scare as easily as real horses Anime hyper. They believe or get nervous every silly rumor that pops up. But then again I guess other fanbases suffer from that too at times, *but personally I would argue not nerely as often* Laughing

But in a way I can understand where the haters are coming from, for years I despised One Piece and its fanbase because of how obnoxious I found its fans and how horrid they treated Bleach & Naruto fans online, acting as if One Piece was Gods gift to man and belittling those that were not fans of the series. So yeah I can see why so many get mad at Bronies as theres ones that do just that but with MLP, which is wrong. Personally i'd love for everyone to at least give the show a chance, but I'm completely fine with it not being peoples cup of tea, people that can't accept that need to back off the none-fans and stop making things worse.

But again overall the problems Bronies have are arguably just problems of internet culture in general, which I still have no idea how it developed as it did.... You know that, that could actually be something fun to research, why online culture developed the way it has...hmm.

But I digress.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:34 am Reply with quote
No, bronies are worse than that. OP and Naruto didn't start multiple conventions dedicated to one thing across the world. That takes clear dedication, willpower, and tenacity above and beyond normal fandom.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12