• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Giant-Size Supernerds No. 1 In Mint Condition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:31 am Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
Say, does anyone here watch the Red White New Years show?

I watch some of it. Was nice to see Princess Princess in last year's edition. Just not very interested in current J-Pop, so it's not a must-see for me like it was back in the nineties.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:33 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:

I watch some of it. Was nice to see Princess Princess in last year's edition. Just not very interested in current J-Pop, so it's not a must-see for me like it was back in the nineties.

Ah my friends and I tried to catch it on New Years and it's hard to find a stream of it at the last minute.

Also hard trying to wake up for the Rose Parade afterwards.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:44 am Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
Ah my friends and I tried to catch it on New Years and it's hard to find a stream of it at the last minute.

My cable operator carries NHK World Premium, so I didn't even think about looking for a stream. Did recently see a clip of Ringo Shiina performing in the 2011 Kouhaku on YouTube. Would be nice if NHK had an official channel for clips from previous Kouhaku shows, but I'm not sure what clearances (if any) they'd have to hurdle.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:08 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:

I think it's just that there was very little adaptation of the script here. I felt a similar vibe when I watched a bit of the Utena dub with Right Stuf's subs, where the dub script felt excessively close to the subs, if not straight off them. Going by what Monica Rial said on her Facebook fan page, whose existence I learned of and decided to browse it at around the time the dub was making little waves on twitter in mid-December, they pretty much stuck uber-close to the original translation provided for them with their dubbing. She was even comfortable with the thought that the show could've even used a little more "Fosterization", due to how close it was. There's also the noticeable fact that the dub is quite loose when it comes to the lip-flaps-- which seems to be the case with many other Sentai dubs I've sampled that have stuck close to the original script.

Well see, that's just as bad, kind of. I brought this up when reviewing High School of the Dead and going over the "patterns of Fosterization" in it, but part of the problem with his localizations is the dumb reference lines and jokes he puts in *are* few and far between...compared to the other 90% of the scripts that are "too faithful." These Sentai dubs are so close-to-the-subs translation that they don't match flap at all, and THAT'S distracting, (noticed this at least 8 or 9 times in the few dubbed episodes of Penguindrum I saw,) and more importantly, sound really awkward and terrible, sometimes to the extent that they're grammatically incorrect (not in a "natural speech" way, just...weirdly *wrong*-sounding.)

So you're right: many of Foster's adaptive scripts, same with Penguindrum, are just the sub script verbatim, with one or two ~MEME JOKES~ peppered in that get most of the attention...but the pure-subs-as-written scripting is just as awful. It doesn't take advantage of conventions of the English language, it's impossible for actors to deliver believably, the confused-sounding interactions take you out of the scene completely...you mentioned that Utena dub: that Utena dub is really quite terrible as well, and it's because the whole thing is just translated subs crammed into mouths confusedly. That's not what adaptive writing is. That's why even well-acted fandubs *sound bad,* because fandubbers tend to just read the subtitles, which makes even talented attempts sound ridiculous. Japanese and English are both great languages, but they're hugely different, and when you ignore that, you get cruddy work, but it just keeeeeps being done that way...

...I need to have a little red light on my head that starts flashing when I'm about to get mad at Stephen Foster again. Anime dazed It'd be fine if he just didn't get *the large majority of Sentai's already bulky releases* and he weren't so adamant about saying screw you to the fans in that work and his interaction or lack thereof with 'em...and there's a lot of defense for it, and that frustrates me because my thought is "You're forgiving this because you've made this weird allowance for 'anime acting' that new viewers don't have. Casual viewers hear a Sentai dub and they go 'Oh this show is terrible. Anime is terrible.'" It ain't healthy for the industry or the medium, I guess. For those who appreciate good work, and good acting, it's sort of physically painful. Every time I hear people praise the Angel Beats! dub, my lip like...curls backward. *And that's one of the slightly better ones.* Kind of. Barely. Either way, the fact that your chances of getting a good dub in 2012 are much closer to where they were in the 90s to where they were in 2006 or so is not cool. X_x
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:43 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
These Sentai dubs are so close-to-the-subs translation that they don't match flap at all, and THAT'S distracting, (noticed this at least 8 or 9 times in the few dubbed episodes of Penguindrum I saw,) and more importantly, sound really awkward and terrible, sometimes to the extent that they're grammatically incorrect (not in a "natural speech" way, just...weirdly *wrong*-sounding.)

I hadn't put two and two together on this, but oh my goodness you're right about the weird Foster syntax. It stands out like a sore thumb in the very first lines of Clannad:
Quote:
TOMOYA (V.O.)
I hate this town. It's too filled with memories I'd rather forget. I go to school every day, hang out with my friends, and then I go home. There's no place I'd rather not go ever again.

Wait, what is that last sentence again? "There's no place I'd rather not go ever again?" What does that even mean? What does that have to do with the lines before it? Could it, should it have been "…and then I go home, the one place I'd rather not go ever again"?

And this is in a VO, where there's no lip flap to match.

And yet, can we blame a literal translation? The Sentai subs are very different here: "I go to school, hang out with my friends, and go home when I'd rather not" and actually gets more quickly into Tomoya's next line (about wondering if anything will ever change). So either these are adaptive subs that change the timing, or the dub made things even more wrong than a literal translation would have been.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

I hadn't put two and two together on this, but oh my goodness you're right about the weird Foster syntax. It stands out like a sore thumb in the very first lines of Clannad:
Quote:
TOMOYA (V.O.)
I hate this town. It's too filled with memories I'd rather forget. I go to school every day, hang out with my friends, and then I go home. There's no place I'd rather not go ever again.

Wait, what is that last sentence again? "There's no place I'd rather not go ever again?" What does that even mean?

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYUP, he does that. X_x; And people are just totally okay with it, because they've flipped the "anime acting is just different and I'll listen differently" switch in their heads...same one that allows them to laugh at stuff that's not funny in English either. One of the most common dubbing problems, particularly with Sentai, is turning things that were meant to be funny UNfunny through lazy delivery/adaption. Lotta that in Angel Beats and the early episodes of Clannad I saw. "But I'm supposed to laugh and I remember laughing in the subbed version, so it's funny." No it's not. It's a bad dub.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:15 am Reply with quote
Also, thanks Mike for mentioning Cloud Atlas, and Justin for shrewdly pointing out that it would likely go over well with anime viewers. Not just because of we're used to anachronic storytelling as he notes, but also I think because its themes and styles (Buddhist-style reincarnation of souls, a mix of triumphant and tragic endings, etc.) are right up our alley. In particular, it's hard not to draw comparisons to Tezuka's Phoenix which plays very much in the same sandbox.

Also, Cloud Atlas haters reliably dismiss the film as "pretentious" - Zac's favorite word - when despite its scope and ambition, it's really based on pretty simplistic themes, and each of the stories is straightforward.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:13 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
These Sentai dubs are so close-to-the-subs translation that they don't match flap at all, and THAT'S distracting, (noticed this at least 8 or 9 times in the few dubbed episodes of Penguindrum I saw,) and more importantly, sound really awkward and terrible, sometimes to the extent that they're grammatically incorrect (not in a "natural speech" way, just...weirdly *wrong*-sounding.)

I had that experience with Sentai subs. I received Sentai's release of Detroit Metal City for Christmas and one of the recurring sources of humor in that show is fake heavy metal songs with lyrics which are violent and vulgar to the point of comedy. Sentai's subs were so literal it totally drained all humor out of it.

An example was a song where the chorus in Sentai's subs was "Female pig, all I need is the lower body". I gather that the Japanese term which translates to "female pig" is, idiomatically, a very nasty thing to call a woman, and I've seen jokes in anime where "lower body" is taken to mean sexual parts before. The resulting sentence doesn't have any comedic shock value at all.

I really liked DMC when I saw it fansubbed (which, to much better effect, chose to use "slut" and "crotch" in that lyric), so I was really disappointed to see such a lazy, spiritless effort on the DVD.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I suspect the only reason Foster the Guy Who Obviously Hates Anime But Loves Himself a Whole Lot is still with the ex-ADV crew is that he has photos or videos of at least one of them in a compromising position.
generalkorn12

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if Ikuhara had any involvement in the localization of Penguindrum just as he did in Utena?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4