• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Interest: List of Winter 2011 TV Anime in Japan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Woo, thanks to ANN for putting up something like this. Much easier to see and find without having to go somewhere else.
sepherest

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I like the look of Level E and I'll probably check out Starry Sky because I play the games, although it's being done by DEEN and with the slight exception of Higurashi they've been able to destroy any good vn's anime adaptation.

Seems almost everything else this season is a mad lib of "_____ is a normal/ordinary middle/high school student when suddenly ______ appears"
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
Seems almost everything else this season is a mad lib of "_____ is a normal/ordinary middle/high school student when suddenly ______ appears"

Hey! Wandering Son/Hourou Musuko isn't! Include that on your list! Shuichi are Yoshino are not "normal/ordinary," that's the root of both their angst and friendship! Exclamation point! Wink

Actually, I had that same thought when reading through the descriptions. It's not a bad storytelling technique per se. You establish a sympathetic character and a familiar universe, then jar it violently with the intrusion of something extraordinary. Some great series could fall into that mad lib (Twelve Kingdoms fits it to a "T"), what matters is what you put in the blanks. None of these so far seem particularly creative in that regard.

But yeah, we all know the true masterpiece of this season will totally be Because For Some Reason My Big Brother Doesn't Like Me~~~! It will join the ranks of Cowboy Bebop as a perennial standard for viewing.

Last edited by vashfanatic on Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
I like the look of Level E and I'll probably check out Starry Sky because I play the games, although it's being done by DEEN and with the slight exception of Higurashi they've been able to destroy any good vn's anime adaptation.

And the protagonist of Beelzebub isn't exactly "a normal high school student" either.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, none of these are catching my interest. Except for possibly Beelzebub and Dragon Crisis. I hope Spring brings us some good stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
*and yes, it's that kind of "like." We really need a puking smiley as an option.

Will this do?

I'm probably most interested in Gosick. I haven't read the novels yet, but they've gotten a number of good reviews so it'll be on my list of 'shows to look out for'.

Freezing is a possibility, will wait for the reviews.

Infinite Stratos has potential, I may add it to the list as well.

Last edited by chefneer on Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kyon27

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Oh, and Oniichan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne—!! (aka "Because For Some Reason My Big Brother Doesn't Like* Me...!!") will be AWESOME... or rather, the reviews of it by ANN staff sure will be! Laughing

Oh please let Zac review this one! Not that I wish the pain of viewing this on him, but I believe his review would likely be one of the best of the season. Very Happy
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Depending on what Is licensed for streaming:

Must See
Fractale
Hourou Musuko
Level E

I haven't been disappointed by NoitaminA yet, and these 2 new shows look very promising. Level E is intriguing. Kimi no Todoke would be on this list if it was licensed.

Likely to watch
Gosick
Wolverine

On the Fence (may watch an episode or two to try out)
Beelzebub
Cardfight!! Vanguard
Infinite Stratos
Starry Sky

This category sometimes surprises me. Squid Girl was here Fall season, and I am really enjoying that show. The amount of fan service, and more importantly, how it is presented, will make or break the show for me.

No Way. Never
Dragon Crisis
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?
Freezing
Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magica
Mitsudomoe Zōryōchū!
Oniichan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne—!!
Rio - Rainbow Gate!
Yumekui Merry

Last edited by tuxedocat on Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Genten

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:58 pm Reply with quote
The only shows I'm interested in are Yumekui Merry and Fractacle. I love Wandering Son but hate the glossy style the anime took (loved the calm water colors of the manga) so I won't be watching. Fractale was always going to be a watch ever since I saw the summary but I was on the fence about Yumekui Merry. And then I bothered to look up the trailers which actually make the show look really awesome.

I suggest at least watching the trailers for YM, to give it a little chance. Really, it doesn't look that bad.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I found a few...

I'll also agree that I'm glad ANN is making a post like this. I trust them more than other sources (for obvious reasons). But I'm not crazy about the "format". I keep thinking that the Summary is for the anime listed below it. A larger "Header" or "Title" or even a divider between series would help. Smile

Beezlebub - Not too sure about this one. I'm not into babies and there are WAY too many supernatural/action/comedies that I have seen go downhill because they run too long. If it is capable of being contained in one or two seasons, I may pick it up. I would probably have to hear amazing things about it or be really bored to follow it while it's being aired. This type of show is really hit or miss for me.

Cardfight! Vanguard - Not a chance. Not in the mood for another "card game" show. Didn't particularly care for anything past season 1 of Yu-Gi-Oh! so I probably won't enjoy it anyways.

Dragon Crisis! - Big YES. Love Studio Deen (other than their work with Get Backers but that's what I'm calling an isolated incident) The premise sounds cool and I like the character designs from what I've seen. Love shows about demons and mystical items and stuff so this will probably be either very entertaining or a big let down.

Fractale - Another Yes. Again, I love Fantasy titles. This seems to have less action than Dragon Crisis! considering the male pictured doesn't have any weapon. The whole "discovering secrets" could become episodic or bland. Who knows? It could be really exciting.

Freezing - This will probably be my guilty pleasure of the winter season. Who can resist gigantic, bouncy, gravity defying boobs????

GOSICK - Definite Yes. 1) Bones 2) Character design 3) Drama/Horror. The series wreaks of mystery and darkness. It draws me in with a tractor beam.

Infinite Stratos - will probably check out one or two episodes if I have time and if I feel like a mecha series. Other than that, I'm a little tired of orphaned mecha bishonens. Wreaks of harem. Not sure if I'm up for another harem after Fall's season.

Kimi ni Todoke - Will be watching it. Still can't get over my lust for Season 1 and my heartbreak at its pathetic "cliff hanger" ending. Total copout for a second season. Have already read up to what I wanted to read in the manga... so... I'm not sure how much more they can really do with this series without making it boring. The first season had serious pacing issues. It was so drawn out that it made the first season's ending very lack luster. Hopefully, season 2 will put an end to it and give a good conclusion. Looking forward to it quite a bit. I'll probably spend the first half of 2011 madly in love with Kazehaya again. *swoon*

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? - 100% yes! I love me some Studio Deen and magical girls. What's not to like about magical girls? Zombies? Necromancers? Totally up my ally!!!! I'm hoping this one really delivers!

Level E - Want to watch. May or may not have enough room or time to devote. Would be nice to watch this one as something serious. Love the premise and I have not watched anything serious or thought provoking in a while. Should be interesting.

Maho Shojo Madoka Magica - Please SHAFT, don't ruin Magical Girls for me too. Anime cry I love SHAFT, but they are hit or miss with me. I'll know by episode 4 if I can continue watching. Hopefully, episodes won't run over the usual length.

Mitsudomoe Zoryochu! - Didn't see the first one. Not interested in the first or the second.

Oniichan no ... blah blah blah - NO! I've had about all I can stand of incest in 2010. I need a year off. The character designs suck.

Rio - Rainbow Gate! - Seems interesting enough. Could use a straight comedy for this season. Will definitely watch and see where it goes.

Wolverine - Are they serious? Didn't they learn their lesson from Ironman. No thanks. I think I'll pass.

Yumekui Merry - Yes. Yes. Yes. Not sure where this series is going to go... but it might be worth watching the first few episodes. The whole "war with cats" worries me a bit... multicolored auras sounds interesting though. Character designs look neat. I'm mainly interested because it's JC Staff. They let me down from time to time, but at least they usually deliver.

What I'm expecting of this season
1) Several titles are from a similar "magic/drama" genre and will probably lead to much debate because they'll be targeting the same fan base. Like last year's brother/sister obsession in the fall, I think this year is starting off with a nice "magic" theme.

2) Adding an exclamation point or two makes the series more enticing.

3) Lolis, Lolis, and more Lolis

4) People are still interested in watching shows about incest (somehow)

5) Girls have either no chest (B or less) or gigantic melons (D and up) - there is no C cup for main female characters.

6) Madhouse should give up on revamping Marvel and American comics/animation/movies for the Japanese market. It's time to face reality, guys. It's not working.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What's not to like about magical girls? Zombies? Necromancers?

You forgot the most awesome... tan tan tan tan... VAMPIRE NINJA!

Quote:
Wolverine - Are they serious? Didn't they learn their lesson from Ironman. No thanks. I think I'll pass.

Well, Wolverine is supposedly an antihero... so if they at least follow that.
I'm kinda enjoying Iron Man; wouldn't give it more than 5/10, though.
Sorta stupid when they try to keep the traditional image of an American character, since the characters did have potential if accounting for a Japanese touch (which really didn't happen).

Quote:
4) People are still interested in watching shows about incest (somehow)

That's just a natural outcome. Although for this season there won't be anything on the level of Sora-chan. I sure as hell hope it's another motherf***** Kirino.

Quote:
5) Girls have either no chest (B or less) or gigantic melons (D and up) - there is no C cup for main female characters.

Ferris Eris has the perfect size and shape... but that's from 2 seasons ago. I've never seen it, but I can feel it. Believe it!

Quote:
6) Madhouse should give up on revamping Marvel and American comics/animation/movies for the Japanese market. It's time to face reality, guys. It's not working.

As I've already addressed this issue... I'm left wondering. Is that really targeted at the Japanese? I thought they just brought it over to animate and send it back to America, and the Japanese releases were just pocket change.

My expectations of this season? Pure entertainment in whatever form (magical girl is a tough one, but since it's shaft... as long as they don't create another Negima!?). I quit reading about them and getting my expectations too high, since that ruined the beginning of Star Driver for me.

It's a pinch!
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to disown anime if this incest trend keeps up.

Also, it bothers me quite a bit that the characters designs are slightly reminiscent of Hitoshi Tomizawa's style (Alien Nine, Milk Closet...)

As a side note, while I generally have a distaste for recent fanservice anime, I'm looking forward to Rio because I'm a fan of the character. I'm officially a hypocrite within my circle, btw.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited about Hourou Musuko.
The American Average

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote
they're gonna japanimate wolverine... great Mad
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
This list seems short. Are there less shows this season than last?

Winter and Summer always have less shows.

There's five shows missing off the list (assuming the charts are right), still ten shows less than last season.

Best season for magical girls in ages.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 14