• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Valkyria Chronicles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

And damn right I would have been happier if the show had initially been set in the Feudal Age or earlier. Then having ancient magic and ancient magical beings would have made more sense.

Ok, but why are such things ok in that setting, but not in a somewhat more advanced one?

The Ragnite is a big clue that tech in this world doesn't work in the same way it does in ours, for example

Quote:
No sh*t sherlock, I even said that it was merely my personal opinion.

And I think your point of view on this subject is completely nuts.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
boredandlazy, you need to re-read what I said. I didn't say I wanted this story but with its core taken out...
Ok, apologies for that.

Quote:

I said I wanted a different story, the one we were initially promised and shown.

That's fine that you wanted a different story, and I can see why some people may prefer a relatively normal war setting rather than the fantastical one. But I don't think the show 'promised' you anything, there were always hints that things weren't as simple as they initially apeared(I can't mention specific examples, as it's been years since I saw it). The fact you were disappointed with the way the story went is more a subjective issue rather than the objective one I think you're trying to make it out to be.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
The fact you were disappointed with the way the story went is more a subjective issue rather than the objective one I think you're trying to make it out to be.

I've repeatedly said that the show wasn't wrong to introduce the Valkyries, just that I didn't like it.

Like...

dtm42 wrote:
I agree. It wouldn't be this show, it would be a lot more watchable. For me at least. Some guys like having realism thrown out the window so two silver-haired chicks can duke it out with magical energy weapons. Not me.

and...

dtm42 wrote:
Just in case it wasn't obvious, I'm not saying the show got objectively worse, only that it turned into something I didn't like.

I believe I have made it quite clear that not liking the show's direction is just my subjective opinion.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
Love triangle? I can't say that I remember that from the anime. Granted it has been 3 years or so since I saw it, but I clearly remember that, when stationed in the desert with scores of women and only one other dude, the protagonist sought out said sole other dude and ran off to a cave with him to look at a lizard. This was revealed, if memory serves, by way of the host of female characters not knowing where he was and having to scour the desert wastes looking for him. So if memory serves, it would seem that this "love triangle" is missing its third person, a third point, and without 3 points it's right difficult to draw a triangle.

Clearly it's been too long since you've seen the series, then, because in the anime the love triangle is blatantly obvious. Faldio is very clearly interested in Alicia (he even hits on her at more than one point); heck, he even point-blank asks Welkin as one point if there'd be any problem with him pursuing Alicia. She is clearly flustered enough by the attention, and doesn't rebuff him strongly enough, to indicate that she has no interest even though she also has a gradually developing interest in Welkin. Welkin, for his part, never gives clear signals but is implied to be romantically interested in Alicia, too. That's a love triangle by any definition. It doesn't really break down until spoiler[Faldio loses his whole squad and resorts to shooting Alicia to trigger her Valkyria abilities].

And in the game, spoiler[that's not his sole or primary motivation for shooting Alicia, if it is a motivation at all (I don't recall his entire squad being wiped out in the game). It's shown in the game that he's at least equally motivated by his own political ideals, i.e. maintaining Gallia's neutrality, as in Randgriz he was fuming that the Chancellor was announcing a military alliance with the Federation as he saw the Federation quickly revoking the alliance and declaring war on Gallia once the Empire was removed as a threat due to Gallia's reserves of ragnite. For me that was one of the game's key plot points and that it was completely ignored in favour of simple battlefield stress and for that woeful love triangle made me rate Valkyria Chronicles as a very poor production.]

Key wrote:
And for those of you who keep complaining that the series is rated too high because it didn't stack up to the game, keep in mind that the series is being rated as a stand-alone effort.

Looked at that way, the series definitely had some flaws but there were also definitely parts that it did well.

As long as you never played the game. If you did, it disappointed on almost every level, with the sole exceptions (for me at least) of spoiler[ Alicia's facial expressions in the early part of the series (which were hilarious) and Faldio's deservedly insignificant death. This whole mandate of a fallen hero having to be redeemed has never sat well with me as it is of itself cliched and done to death.]

boredandlazy wrote:
Another thing which I hated about the anime was Faldio'sspoiler[death scene, in the game he sacrifices himself to take out the enemy leader, but in the anime he sacrifices himself to take out two piss-ant grunts. His character deserved better than that.]

Frankly, spoiler[I thought it was a more fitting end for him than the game and one of only two things the anime got right. His motivations in the game were reprehensible, albeit better than your cliched versions, but I don't think he deserved redemption. Then that's my biased opinion because I think the whole concept of redeeming a fallen character is cliched and unnecessary to begin with.]
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:31 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I believe I have made it quite clear that not liking the show's direction is just my subjective opinion.

Ok, well if you take into account the comment I quoted and was replying to you may understand why those waters were a little muddied.

But anyhoo, since we've clarified your stance that's enough for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4