• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are you also a shipper?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't say I'm really an adamant Shipper. Occasionally a show will get me to cheer or hope for a certain relationship because I enjoy the dynamic, but generally I'm not one to focus too much on the romance.

Notable exceptions:
Princess Tutu with spoiler[Fakir and Ahiru A pity it never came to be, but alas]

Nisekoi with spoiler[Raku and Chitoge. I suppose we'll have to see if that works out.]

However, experience with some non-anime fandoms have put me off of really discussing the topic in any great detail. I still remember the "Harmonian" fallout from back in the heyday of Harry Potter.*shudders*
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
However, experience with some non-anime fandoms have put me off of really discussing the topic in any great detail. I still remember the "Harmonian" fallout from back in the heyday of Harry Potter.*shudders*

This is ironic because it seems I am far more "rabid" over anime/manga pairings than ones in HP (and other non-anime fandoms).

I didn't really have a strong problem with any of the HP pairs....though the crack ones like HermxMalfoy make me go "O_____o" lolwhut.

lol
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
lossthief wrote:

This is ironic because it seems I am far more "rabid" over anime/manga pairings than ones in HP (and other non-anime fandoms).

I didn't really have a strong problem with any of the HP pairs....though the crack ones like HermxMalfoy make me go "O_____o" lolwhut.

lol

I had the misfortune of discovering the HP online fanbase riiiiight as Half-Blood prince came out, and right after an infamous interview with JK Rowling where the interviewer called Harry/Hermione shippers "Delusional". Things were really incensed when I entered the forums, and there were a LOT of flame wars over it.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:45 am Reply with quote
I'm a fan of reading shipping stuff. I like to read takes on couples that I would love see together or guilty pleasures. See no harm to it and its a sub-genre to fanfiction to me. I can also do without shipping wars.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the Harmonian wars were pretty epic. I got into the HP fandom around the time OotP was released and it was a pretty crazy place to be. Of course, any fandom of that size is going to be contentious.

That said, I do admittedly fall into the camp of thinking the Harmonian's were delusional if that thought that Harry and Hermione were actually the canon endgame. Don't know what books they were reading.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

That said, I do admittedly fall into the camp of thinking the Harmonian's were delusional if that thought that Harry and Hermione were actually the canon endgame. Don't know what books they were reading.

Yeah, I got nothing from the books themselves. It was strong friendship and was established as such.
But the movies tease you to hell and back! Anime hyper

The directors were Team Harry instead of Ron. I didn't mind this. I thought Emma and Daniel had good chemistry and the HermxHarry scenes they had were quite well done and cute.
Ferian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
But the movies tease you to hell and back! Anime hyper

The directors were Team Harry instead of Ron. I didn't mind this. I thought Emma and Daniel had good chemistry and the HermxHarry scenes they had were quite well done and cute.

This, so much. That's pretty much the best thing about them.
On a side note, chemistry, yeah.

Myself, I've been on the Harmonian ship ever since reading the Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire. Ron and Hermione are more likely to get together but it's Harry and Hermione whom I consider far more likely to stay together. If we take things outside the limited frame of the Trio, though, I don't consider either of the two guys good enough for Hermione and would much rather see her with someone of comparable intellectual giftedness who actually shows and uses it.

I never enter HP ship wars due to their often overblown to the point of silliness intensity and the hefty mix of character bashing that usually accompanies them.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:26 am Reply with quote
I don't know, I always thought the movies were even more Ron/Hermione, or at least the early ones were.

I actually do enjoy Harry/Hermione but never had any illusions that it was going to be canon.

To get back to anime, I would say that my shippiest fandom would be Vampire Knight because I know I am going to be upset if the endgame isn't Yuki/Zero, though I will admit that Kaname's more recent development does at least make me appreciate him more. Zero is still better though Razz
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:13 am Reply with quote
I'm a proud multishipper. For me, the fun in shipping is fanwork and speculation about how a pairing could work, so while I do tend to have certain pairings that are favorites or that I definitely think are canon, I will quite happily consume and write fanwork for pretty much any ship where I think the two characters have interesting interactions (or even could potentially be interesting.)

Since Princess Tutu is one of my main fandoms and it's being talked about a lot anyway let's take Fakir for example...

Fakir and Duck? Heck yeah, it's canon at least on his side and they've got a lot of wonderful things about their relationship together--which is really the backbone of the entire show. Definitely ship it.

Fakir and Mytho? Yep. Fakir's preeeetty gay for Mytho in the first season and Mytho remains and important part of his life, and they have an interesting yin-yang aspect going on, particularly once Mytho regains his heart.

Fakir and Rue? I don't ship it hardcore but I honestly originally thought they were going to end up together, and I still enjoy it as a "what if?" scenario.

Fakir and Autor? Sure, why not, it could work. Generally the best way it works is one sided from Autor (with Fakir being either oblivious or too stuck on the duck) but I think they have potential.

An alternate universe where Fakir is the "child" of the Raven and he bonds with the Wili Maiden over their tragic pasts? Sure, why the heck not?

Now out of all of those I'd say Fakiru is my favorite pairing, of course, but I don't think that it has to be the ONLY one. It's fun to enjoy all sorts of fanwork regardless of the pairing involved if it's developed well and the writing makes sense to me.

That being said, I tend to not enjoy a lot of Fakiru fanwork because, well...a lot of people in the fandom seem to like the pairing for other reasons than I do.

Chiibi wrote:
Well, the Fakiru thing really pisses ME off because
spoiler[In the end, she's a duck. A duck and a human CAN'T have a romance like regular couples do.]

How can you guys be OKAY with that type of ending!? That's freaking TRAGIC AND CRUEL to the shippers! D:<

So yeah, I need my fanfics...preferably in well-drawn doujinshi form.

Now, see, this is where I tend to get a bee in my bonnet over how the fandom treats this pairing. I get where this is coming from, but I still don't like it. (Massive spoilers to follow so I'll probably just spoiler the whole thing to make it easier to make it safe.)

spoiler[To me, Duck and her angst over which identity is really hers, and if Princess Tutu is really her, is a sort of allegory--or at least heavily symbolic of-- the identity crises that many a young teenager have growing up, when they're trying to figure out where they fit in and who they really are. She's basically one big Ugly Duckling reference, after all (the story of which was, itself, possibly Hans Christian Andersen writing about coming to terms with his sexuality--but that's a whole essay in itself), so a lot of her struggles in the anime have to do with how she perceives herself, and how little worth she puts into her true form as "just a duck" (and thus, how low her self-worth is).

Then along comes Fakir. Fakir knows everything about her--he knows her as the school girl, as the Princess, and as the bird. He knows all about her insecurities and her strengths. He knows that she has a massive crush on another guy. And you know what? He's her partner, her best friend, and loves her for who she REALLY is, not for the Princess role she takes on. To me, when Fakir dances with her in the Lake of Despair and tells her "It's okay [if you turn back into a duck again], isn't it? No matter what, I'll stay by your side," what he really means is "I love you for who you really are, and that won't change just because you're in a form that's different from mine."

To me, that is FANTASTIC. For one thing, it shows a lot of growth on Fakir's part--although his intentions are always good, in the beginning he's often very self-centered, to the point where he's downright abusive to Mytho (not to mention Ahiru herself!). The fact that he's changed to the point that he's completely willing to stay by her side and support her simply because he loves her, and not because she loves HIM or will do anything FOR him, is a huge sign of how far he's come in placing others before himself. (Not to mention it blows the 'Nice Guy' syndrome right out of the water, since he doesn't expect anything from her just because he treats her well!)

For another thing, girls tend to be under a LOT of pressure to fit an ideal in order to get a guy, both in terms of physical beauty and in terms of having the right kind of personality. The sort of message that "If you're not perfectly feminine and/or conventionally attractive, you won't find romance and, thus, will never be happy" is EVERYWHERE. It's in our media, it's in our churches, it's in every conversation where some jerk on the internet flippantly jokes that he "wouldn't bang" a girl because she isn't pretty enough, it's in the way women often even treat each other. So to have an anime that's at least in part aimed at young girls where the main character is loved completely unconditionally despite her strange body, and despite the fact that the perfect "princess" is not who she really is? That's HUGE. How many other shows and movies have that sort of relationship explicitly spelled out the way it is in Princess Tutu? Particularly a show that's about princesses and fairytales? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

So I cringe when fans complain that Duck staying a duck somehow ruins her relationship with Fakir, because I reeeeally think it misses the point. To me, Fakir turning her back into a girl both negates what he says in the Lake of Despair, and is essentially saying that she has to change for her to be with him. There's probably ways you could write that eventual transformation back into a girl WITHOUT sending the message that physical appearance matters, but nearly all of the fanfic I've seen on the subject doesn't even bother and just has Fakir change his mind and switch her back so they can be happily ever after without any complications or addressing what subconscious messages Fakir might be sending to Duck to do it, and I HATE that. So I've stopped reading most Fakiru fanfic, particularly with that theme in place. It just really bothers me.

(Also, considering Duck is--well, a fairytale duck with intelligence, and NOT just a normal duck, I completely disagree that they can't have a "normal" romance. There's way more to romance than kissing and sex, you know.)]

Sorry for the rant, I have a lot of feelings about this.

EDIT: Holy hell, that was even longer than I thought, I'm so sorry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
marie-antionette wrote:
don't know, I always thought the movies were even more Ron/Hermione, or at least the early ones were.

Oh, they definitely are. They just also threw in a lot more HarryxHerm than compared to the books. Anime hyper

Quote:
I know I am going to be upset if the endgame isn't Yuki/Zero, though

Yes, if it isn't Chiibi will have to choke a bitch named Matsuri Hino.....Anime hyper

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Sorry for the rant, I have a lot of feelings about this.

It's okay. You do make very good points and I agree mostly.
THIS is the only thing that upsets me about Fakiru:
spoiler[THEY CAN'T MAKE OUT.]

........that's like torture to me. :{ I know there's much more to a relationship than the physical aspect but....I reeeeeally don't think it's too much for a shipper to ask to see a kiss now and then. DX Does it ruin their relationship? No....but it's still a downer for those who wanted to see them together as a human boy and girl.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:40 am Reply with quote
Eh, admittedly I don't know if seeing couples I like spoiler[make out] is a priority for me so it's probably just one of those things that I can't really "get." Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Plus shoujo is often sort of coy about that sort of thing for whatever reason.

That being said, there's always the promo video? spoiler[Fakir more or less gives Ahiru a big smacker in it.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
That being said, there's always the promo video? spoiler[Fakir more or less gives Ahiru a big smacker in it.]

Eh heh I love that video. Anime hyper
BUT IT SHOULDA BEEN CANON! >:I

........I'm not sure why I go nuts when my ship characters kiss or hug.
I just do. Anime hyper I can't get enough of it for some reason....
But it HAS to be animated well, it has to be timed right, the setting has to be good the build-up and the dialogue... and blah blah blah.
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:12 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
That's not ONLY a "shoujo declaration of love", that is also a declaration of "Don't effing mess with me or I'll make you regret it". Guys don't do that to only girls-they do it to people who piss them off. It's a simple intimidation stance.

In shoujo, there is an alarming correlation between the first recurring male character to pin the heroine against the wall or floor and becoming the eventual romantic interest of the heroine. The actual context of the pinning tends to not matter. It would not be surprising that more often the pinning is done in a menacing manner. To me, Fakir sealed his fate with that move.

Quote:
Because Yuuka's an ugly, annoying bitch who'd rather punch him than show him affection?

Not at all. She is quite demonstrative in her concern for Kouta, both in making sure that he is well-settled as well as moving into the Kaede house when his situation became more complicated. She was quite clear in her affections in spoiler[episode 6, when they were stuck at the temple in the rain, and Kouta reciprocated.] She is highly supportive of his endeavors. If it seems that she has a temper, it is only because his eyes wander a bit too much. It would be severely undervaluing of her merits if I were to merely say that she is a much better choice than a murderous yandere.

There's only one 'u' in Yuka's name--a beautiful name to go along with a beautiful girl.

marie-antoinette wrote:
I would say that my shippiest fandom would be Vampire Knight

That fandom is rather difficult to ship because Yuki's contenders seem to be a cradle-robbing yandere and a domestic abuser in training. Razz

Chiibi wrote:
Annoying...cliche is annoying! Why can't boys and girls stay friends WITHOUT a sudden declaration of love!?

There is simultaneity between friendship and romance in a well-written childhood friend--the friendship is often lacking in other romantic options. This is why the childhood friend is appealing--they can and have gotten along together for a long time. Akari from To Heart is the prototype of the modern childhood friend and the most triumphant example: She participates in Hiroyuki's escapades as a partner without drawing comments from any quarter, and he asks for her participation as a matter of course. The incidents in the series portray a natural couple that arises from their longstanding friendship. I do not foresee a "sudden declaration of love." They just slide along and happen as was the case with spoiler[Rin and Asa] in Shuffle.

But this discussion reminds me, since the most wonderful part of the childhood friend is the longstanding friendship and support, my liking for the childhood friend can be transferred. That, I think, explains why I like Ichika x Charles so much in Infinite Stratos, despite having two childhood friends vying for his affections.

And it's also why I've fastened on my latest ship--though perhaps prematurely. The Lady Knight from Maoyu seems quite earnest and open about her regard for the Hero, though this is a preliminary assessment from her conversation with the Old Archer. Certainly it is a contrast to the tsundere-like attitude of the Girl Mage and the gushing teenage love of the Demon King--it is why I do not agree with the naysayers' prediction that she'll be a bitter, jealous, tsundere spinster. It is fortunate that the light novel illustration shares a rather dark background, so I was able to move the Lady Knight next to the Hero without much work.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:41 am Reply with quote
It's hard not to be a shipper when you're a fujoshi and a shonen-manga lover to boot. I just find it fun to fill in for the lack of romance, or to try and find underlying meanings for certain characters' actions

One of my favorite ships is ByakuyaxRenji in Bleach. The hospital scene is just too beautiful for my fujoshi heart to take it -seriously, Renji should've just confessed and be done with it. I really like how their contrasting personalities play out together and how Byakuya becomes a goal for Renji, the one and only that he wants to surpass; while Byakuya opens up to Renji little by little, making their teamwork just fantastic

Another one I love is Yamamoto x Gokudera (aka 8059) in Reborn. Another case of contrasting personalities that make amazing team work. Their bonding during the Future arc is incredibly sweet and how they always seem to do everything in combo was really funny and cute at the same time

An infamous shipwar I've always been part of is the IchiRuki vs IchiHime in the Bleach fandom. In which I obviously root for IchiRuki, because I detest Orihime in every possible way, she seems to just cry and hope to be saved every damn time and never make any progress as a person/friend/potential lover/anything. On the other hand, Rukia and Ichigo complement each other, they cheer each other up even when they're ar their worst (spoiler[Rukia when she was going to be executed, Ichigo whilst fighting his Hollow and at the climax of the Fullbring arc]) and generally seem to be completely in sync, but at the same time, they're not mutually dependent, which for me marks a much healthier relationship than anything Orihime has to offer
born2die

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, I started off being a shipper of Yuki x Hikari from Ouran Highschool host club, basically made a AMV. Now I'm all bout Lucy X Gray from fairy tail. Saving pictures and shizz, I don't know whats gotten over me. Shocked

It actually pains me when the relationship doesn't grow the way I want. LOL
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5