• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
OMG it's coming ad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masura

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:41 am Reply with quote
Nothings out of the question now, but I think its pretty safe to say I dont think its FUNimation, because FUNimation websites usually have the lovely FUNimation toolbar on the top. I personally dont believe its rightstuf either, the graphics just dont seem like a Nazomi title. ViZ also seems out of the question, because the website is not omgitscoming[dot]viz . It could very well be bandai, or maybe its a new ADV title though once again usually the new ADV titles have advfilms somewhere in the URL.

Update: we now have a beautiful picture of a bar code and the question marks are back.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Masura wrote:
Nothings out of the question now, but I think its pretty safe to say I don't think its FUNimation, because FUNimation websites usually have the lovely FUNimation toolbar on the top. I personally don't believe its rightstuf either, the graphics just don't seem like a Nazomi title. ViZ also seems out of the question, because the website is not omgitscoming[dot]viz . It could very well be bandai, or maybe its a new ADV title though once again usually the new ADV titles have advfilms somewhere in the URL.

Update: we now have a beautiful picture of a bar code and the question marks are back.

The people who made the site clearly have done it in a way to make it next to impossible to tell who did it, so I don't think we can assume anything about who may or may not be doing it.

The one thought I did have, though, was that it may NOT be Bandai, as they have the M.O. of putting cryptic comments in the HTML code on their pages, something this page lacks. Of course, that doesn't mean it's not Bandai, but that might be one count against it.

If I had any guess, it would be Funimation, since they're the only company still licensing things with any regularity, and they've already said that they WILL have more announcements this summer.

Update

I just noticed this, and I'm fairly certain it wasn't like this originally, but they changed it so that the countdown is time zone specific....pacific time to be exact (UTC-0700).

That suggests several things:

1) it's probably not directly Otakon related
2) it might not be an announcement from a Japanese company (though I suppose they might do Pacific time if they wanted to announce something in the US).
3) It's probably not Media Blasters (NYC), Funimation (Texas), ADV (Texas), or Right Stuf (Iowa)

The only major west coast anime licensors that I know of are Viz and Bandai.
Starre257

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Now we have some kind of building with a picture hanging up or a window or something...

I thought for sure it would be Bandai licensing Kannagi after the last post... but now...

I thought the picture looked familliar, so I googled my first guess as to what it was, and I was right. It's the Alamo. So... maybe it is some Texas company after all...

Edit: Does anyone have a list of what the previous pictures have been, in order? That might give you a clue if they want to be that difficult about it. (I was just thinking of the way Frey contacts Loki in Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok, by stealing things that when listed, spell LOKI down the side, or the "L Do You Know..." thing in Death Note. Though I doubt anyone in real life would do something like that... it's way too hard for a real person to figure out, I think... Anime smile + sweatdrop
emilydastrange

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:21 am Reply with quote
Starre257 wrote:

Edit: Does anyone have a list of what the previous pictures have been, in order? That might give you a clue if they want to be that difficult about it. (I was just thinking of the way Frey contacts Loki in Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok, by stealing things that when listed, spell LOKI down the side, or the "L Do You Know..." thing in Death Note. Though I doubt anyone in real life would do something like that... it's way too hard for a real person to figure out, I think... Anime smile + sweatdrop

http://omgitscoming.com/images/

Directory of all previous images to look at. The one the was "looking around" by flipping the image obviously will just be the pic itself.

edit: actually I'm wrong, it's a gif so it's still flipping :p
9hoenix_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
Check it now.Its the Alamo?
emilydastrange

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:17 am Reply with quote
More specifically, I guess it's this image with everything blacked out except the top window, whose colors are switched.

Aster Selene

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi maybe? *shrugs* The next episode comes out around that time...
theknight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Aster Selene wrote:
Haruhi maybe? *shrugs* The next episode comes out around that time...

Doubtful. how would that be a surprise?
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I managed to get into the image directory of the page and came up with these images:

Any ideas as to what these are? I haven't a clue... Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Masura

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I am sure that once we know the answer it will be a 'duh moment'
Hepzibah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:29 am Reply with quote
I found this a few days ago, scratched my head, and forgot about it. I clicked on it again tonight for no real reason, and now I'm wracking my brain trying to see what the Alamo has in common with sports cars and non-descript figures who look confused and wear funny costumes.

I'm really curious now about what this is.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:42 am Reply with quote
We'll all know in 11 hours if it's a license or if it was Zac yanking our chains. I kind of want to have a countdown party.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:45 am Reply with quote
Zac is kinda my forerunner in who put this up (who better to have fun with question marks than the former Answerman?), but you know, if it is from a company it's always possible that each one represents a different title, not all the same one. I mentioned it before, but remember when FUNi announced all of those shows with fake "postcard" looking messages? Could be the same idea again. The barcode could represent Code-E or Birdie the Mighty Decode. For the Alamo people often recall the line "Remember the Alamo" so maybe "remember" is a key there, or the window? Hard to believe it's all random and meaningless. Oh well, only a few hours left.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calculusman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:28 am Reply with quote
I think I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the images have nothing to do with anything regarding the announcement.

They're so disparate that they're either just random things to throw us off, we're talking about multiple shows, or we're talking about something that isn't an anime license.
dmanjdb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote
I'm gonna go random and say that is AD Vision.

Still interested in what the heck is it...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6