• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2009 Fullmetal Alchemist Debut Gets Australian Simulcast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:18 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
All it really boils down to is having a bit of control and patience, it's coming, especially this series, so we can feel 99.99% confident that it will be released here and maybe have more legitimate streams/simulcasts in the works before it goes and airs on Japanese Television.

In the case of FMA this is certainly the case. I suppose those who really wish to watch it can use proxies and whatnot- it might be technically illegal, but if you're seeing the streamed adverts, your hit is presumably supporting the (or at least an) industry.

Quote:
@edzieba: Gong anime here on this site, it's region free.

Though it's a nice gesture, 7 shows is a rather small number.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:36 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
It's interesting that most objections centre around preserving the R1 licensors. It may sound callous, but why do we need them? Sure, it makes distribution of discs to retail stores easier for the rightsholders, but if the internet has shown anything it is that the distribution of a franchise wholly though retail outlets is no longer viable. Like Gonzo has done (albeit with lacklustre quality), on-line same-day distribution with NO region locking (i.e. directly from the original rightsholder rather than via regional licensors) is the way to go. Fansubs clearly demonstrate that there is a significant market for same-day HDTV-quality releases, and that market is entirely untapped.

Let me see here mainly because they know their markets better than the Japanese companies do, have been pushing for legal streaming and downloads and explaining business benefits of to the Japanese companies, are trying to release DVDs with faster turn-around times (dub/sub), give anime a physical presence in the country they are distributing in, put anime on TV in the country they are distributing in, purchase licenses either very early or upfront for more and more series (thus the anime gets made, see Big O season 2 for the strongest example.) That we (R1 industry) bailed out the Japanese industry over 10 years ago and the Japanese animation industry has not been able to stand on it's own financially, needing investors from banks, advertising agencies, merchandisers, and international distributors.

I don't think fansubs do any of those things.

As to HDTV quality, how many actually have the monitors/TV's capable of doing so? HD for me just gives me a wider screen when I view it on my monitor, not really a huge difference (at least for me because I do not have the hardware to actually view HD/Blu-Ray) So this same-day streaming, it's coming, but that does not justify stealing an "HD" stream now. Patience, the industry is moving there, but they are businesses, they don't move at "lightning speeds"
Jarmel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:

As to speed, this goes back to what I've asked before, "Why is there a need to see it now?" Surely anyone can survive without the latest and greatest from Japan, it's not a vital need. Also the fact that we (the R1 market) have a lot of anime available that most of those who watch the latest and greatest through fansubs have not seen. I mean me and my older brother have not seen every anime that is available to us now, so even if I wanted to get a new anime series to watch I could go for a legal stream, youtube- Funimation (Youtube even has a High Quality/HD streaming found here http://www.youtube.com/user/FUNimation), joost, hulu or rent or buy if the price is low enough a new series that I have not seen before that is available to me legally and immediately..

Umm no. I'm not going to wait two years or however long it takes to see the show on DVDs. If Lost stopped airing in the US and only in a foreign country, I can promise you people would pirate it left and right, even if they were going to release it on DVD in one year or even 6 months. Nothing regarding anime or entertainment is a vital need but some wants are stronger than other. I'm watching FMA later this week, there be hell or high water, as I've been following the manga for the past 3-5 years and I love it.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
jedimaster5000 wrote:
WOW, this is great news...now the only news I really want to hear now is for Funi to get this very soon (unless of course this simulca uses the same VA's as funi)

Well i hope so too,but now that's vic will be there,people in the US won't be susprised that they'll license it,but waiting for it to be official is really annoying.Hopefully when it does come to the US,my guess is that it'll probably show on AS since the original FMA is still showing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:

Umm no. I'm not going to wait two years or however long it takes to see the show on DVDs. If Lost stopped airing in the US and only in a foreign country, I can promise you people would pirate it left and right, even if they were going to release it on DVD in one year or even 6 months. Nothing regarding anime or entertainment is a vital need but some wants are stronger than other. I'm watching FMA later this week, there be hell or high water, as I've been following the manga for the past 3-5 years and I love it.

I'll ask you a couple of questions, this goes into philosophy and ethics, what some have asked for when it comes to concerning fansubs.

1. If a Tree falls in a forest and you are not there to hear it does it make a sound? or to put a more anime spin on that question, If an anime series is released but you do not see it, is it important/make sound in your life?

2. Is impatience a virtue? Is selfishness? Impatience in regards to anime is what is killing the anime industry and has made it difficult/impossible to sell in certain markets. In one aspect you value Full Metal Alchemist/anime to much that you are now willing to support those that steal it, even though you know that it is coming to you in a legal perhaps free streaming method. Your enthusiastic, that's great, but curb it, support the people who make this anime happen so that they can continue to bring you more, not the ones who steal it.

So let me paraphrase a commentator Wang Chen on some Eastern Philosophy, as I've tried Western, perhaps you and other will appreciate it better.

From the Tao, directly quoting- "Do not value products difficult to obtain, To keep the people from committing robbery."

Wang Chen's commentary from the Tao of War, page 23 paraphrased- "Products difficult to obtain are always foreign goods. If the people unrestrainedly esteem/value them, then the people will supply and transport them endlessly. When they start to seek them out and steal them from others, if this isn't robbery, what is?"

How does this apply to anime now? We value it so much that we have a segment of the fandom dedicated to stealing it, and a larger part of fans that support them. It has gotten to the point that the industry is offering legal streams and downloads and simulcasts, and still we have people wanting to steal it.

So for me it is not just an legal issue, but a moral one as well. I've explained myself as to why I think fansubs are immoral in at least three different ways in various threads.

Patience is a skill, you need to learn and cultivate it. Now is a good time to start.
Dante80

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote
Damn, I shouldn't have made the comment about fansubs in the first place. Anime cry

@ LordRedhand, you are asking why fansubbers want to work on a show that may be already licensed. Or what excuses do they use to cover the fact that what they are doing is illegal.

The thing is, they need none. Morality and legality were never an issue concerning fansubs. Fansubbers are doing what they do because they want to, and because they can. Its a hobby (an illegal one that is), not a business.

Now, concerning the rest, if you believe that a market/need for free, high quality. non DRM HD digital copies of anime series 1-7 days after airing in Japan does not exist, then you are in for a surprise...Anime hyper

Funi or whoever has the license on FMA can make fansubs for said title mostly irrelevant, just by simulcasting a HQ subbed stream of the series and then adopting a DtO distribution model that gives a discount on the physical media that will be released in the future.

Will that stop fansubbing? Hell no, fansubbing is global, and there are thousands upon thousands of fans/leechers that cannot or will not pay for anime for a number of reasons (poverty, region locking, non existent industry at home, entitlement theory etc). These will still get their fix from fansubs. But these are also mostly snubbed/non relevant to the anime industry anyway, so....

It all comes down to this. If the R1 company that has licensed /will license FMA does not do what other companies do in Asia, Australia etc, many fans are going to get the show through other means. Even if it does, many fans will still get the show through other means. Whose fault is it then? The fansubbers', the companys' or the fans'?

When one can support the anime industry MORE through importing a figure and watching a whole show on fansubs than by waiting 1-2 years to buy a boxset of the same show, something has gone terribly wrong with the industry itself...and it needs fixing.

Last edited by Dante80 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:46 am; edited 2 times in total
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote
I guess I won't mind waiting, I got a bunch of Anime and Manga I wanna buy so I guess a year or two won't bother me. I'll be too busying buying DVDs or borrowing manga from the library.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:

I'll ask you a couple of questions, this goes into philosophy and ethics, what some have asked for when it comes to concerning fansubs.

1. If a Tree falls in a forest and you are not there to hear it does it make a sound? or to put a more anime spin on that question, If an anime series is released but you do not see it, is it important/make sound in your life?

2. Is impatience a virtue? Is selfishness? Impatience in regards to anime is what is killing the anime industry and has made it difficult/impossible to sell in certain markets. In one aspect you value Full Metal Alchemist/anime to much that you are now willing to support those that steal it, even though you know that it is coming to you in a legal perhaps free streaming method. Your enthusiastic, that's great, but curb it, support the people who make this anime happen so that they can continue to bring you more, not the ones who steal it.

So let me paraphrase a commentator Wang Chen on some Eastern Philosophy, as I've tried Western, perhaps you and other will appreciate it better.

From the Tao, directly quoting- "Do not value products difficult to obtain, To keep the people from committing robbery."

Wang Chen's commentary from the Tao of War, page 23 paraphrased- "Products difficult to obtain are always foreign goods. If the people unrestrainedly esteem/value them, then the people will supply and transport them endlessly. When they start to seek them out and steal them from others, if this isn't robbery, what is?"

How does this apply to anime now? We value it so much that we have a segment of the fandom dedicated to stealing it, and a larger part of fans that support them. It has gotten to the point that the industry is offering legal streams and downloads and simulcasts, and still we have people wanting to steal it.

So for me it is not just an legal issue, but a moral one as well. I've explained myself as to why I think fansubs are immoral in at least three different ways in various threads.

Patience is a skill, you need to learn and cultivate it. Now is a good time to start.

1.All of this is a hobby. If I never saw another anime series in my life, would I die? No but my life quality would go down. As I mentioned I am a huge fan of the series and I feel that I want to see the show, so I will. Simple as that.

2.You're absolutely right that I'm not supporting them. Hell all those single DVDs and artboxes on my shelves, all manga releases in the US, and more than 5 FMA artbooks must mean nothing. If I plan on buying the show later, which I without a doubt will, then does it matter?

The shows people are stealing are the ones that they know are coming out in the US or it already is, watch the whole thing via torrents or w/e and don't buy the series. However every industry has to deal with people like that and you know what? They survive by either producing a better product or a better means of delivery to the consumer.

Once again you must hate the people who TIVO and skip the commercials or read a book in Barnes and Noble. I watch Lost online via abc.com and Kings on nbc because I'm trying to support them anyway I can and they are providing the customer with a viable alternative by streaming HD quality sources less than 2 days after airing. If the industry came up with a quick way to stream shows in the US only a few days after airing, we wouldn't have this problem in the first place. Also not every show is streamed or even licensed and some never will be(this obviously doesn't apply to FMA). If Funi announced that they would air HD quality streams less than a day after the first ep then I would watch their subs. However I will not wait an indeterminate time to see what Funi does.

Edit:Dante nailed it. Just look at Drauga, while it didn't get rid of the fansubs for the show it did take a good chunk of viewership out of them.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:17 am Reply with quote
You must not read my other posts much, I'm for legal streaming and simul-casting because they bring revenue back into the industry. As to reading books in the store, if your out of the way your fine, if you skim the book to see if you would be interested in it over consuming the whole thing? Even better. I'll respond to other points of thread.
babbo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
You must not read my other posts much, I'm for legal streaming and simul-casting because they bring revenue back into the industry. As to reading books in the store, if your out of the way your fine, if you skim the book to see if you would be interested in it over consuming the whole thing? Even better. I'll respond to other points of thread.

I think we'd all be better off if you didn't. Your crusade against fansubs is getting old. Kalessin answered your question about why (not once saying anything about it being right or wrong) and you fire away about entitlement and excuses. People who want HD are going to get a fansub. It doesn't matter if it's right or wrong or an excuse of some type. They will do it, and as things stand, it's just one more thing among piles and piles of reasons why fansubs are still being released >.>

The same goes with telling people to have patience. What the heck do you think has driven companies to start releasing legitimate streams? It certainly was not because people have been patient. These are deficiencies that need to be addressed, not brushed aside. As much as the R1 industry needs support from its consumers, consumers are the ones who will dictate its success. Whether their reasons are noble, or their current practices in getting over these deficiencies are legal is irrelevant.

Last edited by babbo on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
bayoab wrote:
Also, it will be coming out in America somehow within 6 months.

And you know this...how? Do you work for a licensing company? Or are you just speculating?

The 6 months number is 1 part speculation/assumption, 1 part inside info, 2 parts math, 3 parts logic and some connect the dots. (Remember how long it took to announce season 1? That's right, slightly over 6 months and that one took longer because of a bidding war.) Also, read my post carefully. Just like Madman's announcement, there is a huge wild card. (Madman's wild card is "hope")

edzieba wrote:
Fansubs clearly demonstrate that there is a significant market for same-day HDTV-quality releases, and that market is entirely untapped.

No, fansubs demonstrate there is a market for files labeled "720p" or "1080p" regardless of actual content.

Quote:
There is absolutely no technical reason not the release same-day HD-quality subtitled streams. Either there is a large enough market to sustain the stream, or there is not (in which case there is no problem with fansubs for that show, as there would be no revenue stream anyway).
Actually, there are a number of technical limitations and issues. (Size of files, overall bandwidth, flash has issues, etc). Why else would there be dozens of streaming sites and yet only a handful of them support actual HD video or fork it off to paying members only?
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
No, fansubs demonstrate there is a market for files labeled "720p" or "1080p" regardless of actual content.
I'll admit that I do often download known upscales (and it's not hard to tell) in preference to SD raws, but mainly because of the dolby effect from a studio upscale (broadcast artefacts being less noticeable).
Quote:
Quote:
There is absolutely no technical reason not the release same-day HD-quality subtitled streams. Either there is a large enough market to sustain the stream, or there is not (in which case there is no problem with fansubs for that show, as there would be no revenue stream anyway).
Actually, there are a number of technical limitations and issues. (Size of files, overall bandwidth, flash has issues, etc). Why else would there be dozens of streaming sites and yet only a handful of them support actual HD video or fork it off to paying members only?
This is quite simply not true. HD streaming at acceptable bitrates was shown to be technically possible by Stage6 (in 1080p without buffering, no less). Unfortunately, Stage6 was more a tech demo for DivX than a determined video streaming contender (I can't recall any ad presence on the site, and the uploading process was rather painful), but bandwidth doesn't cost nearly as much as people think. And there's still the possibility for a non-streaming peer load balanced download service run by the licenseholders.

As the music and movie industries have spent the past few years learning to their detriment, you simply cannot wipe out unauthorised digital distribution. The only viable solution is to make your official distribution platform superior in every way to the unauthorised platform.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Altorrin wrote:
Anyone know how to set a computer to Australia-mode? I can't WAIT 6 more months, man! *hops up and down impatiently*

Where are people getting this "six months" from? Was there an official announcement that I missed? (It's entirely possible)

An above post said something like that. I haven't actually seen this "official announcement" either. I sincerely doubt it will be only 6 months too...

(I just hope that it may get a stream here in the States soon too (I may be a dub-only fan, but if I can at least watch the new series until a dub is possibly released, then I'll go with it ^^).)

Agreed.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:

I think we'd all be better off if you didn't. Your crusade against fansubs is getting old. Kalessin answered your question about why (not once saying anything about it being right or wrong) and you fire away about entitlement and excuses. People who want HD are going to get a fansub. It doesn't matter if it's right or wrong or an excuse of some type. They will do it, and as things stand, it's just one more thing among piles and piles of reasons why fansubs are still being released >.>

The same goes with telling people to have patience. What the heck do you think has driven companies to start releasing legitimate streams? It certainly was not because people have been patient. These are deficiencies that need to be addressed, not brushed aside. As much as the R1 industry needs support from its consumers, consumers are the ones who will dictate its success. Whether their reasons are noble, or their current practices in getting over these deficiencies are legal is irrelevant.

Every time I post on this subject I hope that some who read this will be influenced by what I say, the fact that the industry is moving to a legal streaming/ legal download model and simul-casting makes these "reasons" that as I'm told are for "internet glory" for the most part for fansub something that should be going away. Is what the industry in Japan what we want to happen? Where every time this subject the goal posts have moved, now they are releaseing streams and simul-casts, someone says "No HD streaming, I'm not participating." refusing to even accept the streaming/simul-casting. I recall asking that if the industry as a whole tomorrow did legal streaming for every anime series and legal pay-for-downloads, my answer I got was surprising, it was a no because "I can't change the subtitles" or "Pay-for-downloads? that's piracy!" So when those are met where's the next goalpost?

I honestly feel that the industry is moving towards the legal streaming/simul-casting and pay-for-downloads model, that we are seeing anime move in ways that are desperately trying to plug the hole that fansubs have caused. But to think that fansubs are the sole cause of this movement is odd, considering that they would look more to iTunes and TV models, models which the little respected R1 distributors have been pushing for. So with the recent changes in the industry towards streaming media, I'd say it's reasonable to say wait, it's coming, there is no need to steal it, the anime industry has woken up and is moving forward and listening.

Quote:
(I just hope that it may get a stream here in the States soon too (I may be a dub-only fan, but if I can at least watch the new series until a dub is possibly released, then I'll go with it ^^).)

I too hope for this, as that will probably be the best outcome considering our market for subbed anime on TV (although I want Funimation to announce that they have it at the first showing and have been working on the dub for it for release, that would be awesome.)
babbo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
babbo wrote:

Every time I post on this subject I hope that some who read this will be influenced by what I say, the fact that the industry is moving to a legal streaming/ legal download model and simul-casting makes these "reasons" that as I'm told are for "internet glory" for the most part for fansub something that should be going away. Is what the industry in Japan what we want to happen? Where every time this subject the goal posts have moved, now they are releaseing streams and simul-casts, someone says "No HD streaming, I'm not participating." refusing to even accept the streaming/simul-casting. I recall asking that if the industry as a whole tomorrow did legal streaming for every anime series and legal pay-for-downloads, my answer I got was surprising, it was a no because "I can't change the subtitles" or "Pay-for-downloads? that's piracy!" So when those are met where's the next goalpost?

I honestly feel that the industry is moving towards the legal streaming/simul-casting and pay-for-downloads model, that we are seeing anime move in ways that are desperately trying to plug the hole that fansubs have caused. But to think that fansubs are the sole cause of this movement is odd, considering that they would look more to iTunes and TV models, models which the little respected R1 distributors have been pushing for. So with the recent changes in the industry towards streaming media, I'd say it's reasonable to say wait, it's coming, there is no need to steal it, the anime industry has woken up and is moving forward and listening.

See? You just pulled the same BS all over again. I never even once said that fansubs were what forced the industry to start providing streams. How about you start responding to the posts you're quoting instead resorting to straw men to push your agenda against fansubbing. At least do that much, I'd ask you to stop starting the fansub debate in every thread possible, but I'm sure even you aren't quite sure how to stop yourself >.>
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6