• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:CREATORS

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pelfmiester

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
I'm suspecting Selestia never actually died in the first place, and that Charon did something to save her at the end. A story trope I've seen before and it's still a bit early for Selestia I think. And Selestia's mech reminds me of Xenogears.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I really hated Alistars ''changing the principles'' thing. It is........amazingly stupid. So if someone were to lets say nod the head it would be just ''I changed the principles of head movement now u dead''
Melicans

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Pelfmiester wrote:
I'm suspecting Selestia never actually died in the first place, and that Charon did something to save her at the end. A story trope I've seen before and it's still a bit early for Selestia I think. And Selestia's mech reminds me of Xenogears.

Though I'm probably just trying to comfort myself, one possible indication of this is that unlike Aliceteria and her magical girl friend we never saw any dissolution into blue pixels that would signify death for Selestia or Charon. Yes it could be hidden by the smoke, but my gut feeling is that she at least still has some role to play.
Pelfmiester

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
Pelfmiester wrote:

Though I'm probably just trying to comfort myself, one possible indication of this is that unlike Aliceteria and her magical girl friend we never saw any dissolution into blue pixels that would signify death for Selestia or Charon. Yes it could be hidden by the smoke, but my gut feeling is that she at least still has some role to play.

I noted the same thing but forgot to mention it. Not believing Selestia is dead until the series ends or I see that dissolution.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping that whatever Sota has up his sleeve will see all the characters, even Mamika, brought back at the end. After all, one of the underlying themes of this series has been the relationship between the Created and their fans; so long as there are people out there still enjoying the characters, in a sense they don't actually die. I think part of whatever Sota has in mind will take advantage of that dynamic.

I'm hoping that the finale will see Altair being undone by Sota and the other Creators themselves. At this point I'm pretty certain Takarada and Matsubara are itching for a little payback. And heck, if Altair is going to destroy the world anyway, they might as well get their punches in while they can.

Pelfmiester wrote:
And Selestia's mech reminds me of Xenogears.

Its reminded me a lot of Five Star Stories.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This definitely wasn't inevitable from the start, but with her actions hampering Rui into a disadvantage against Charon, and the episode making it clear both that Charon was intractable in his stance and that she couldn't keep up with him in a one-on-one fight, she wasn't left with much choice.

That last part didn't make much sense to me. The entire plan was to basically buff the creations on their side massively through that collaboration event so that they could compete with Altair. How the hell was that suppose to work if they couldn't even write her into being the most powerful in her own story?

Anyway, I thought it was a great scene. Part of me wants to join the 'I hope she isn't dead camp' but honestly that would greatly cheapen what was an amazing job with the scene.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As much of a waste as her death may seem, it allows for one crucial scene: her Creator's anguish at her defeat.

Yeah, that broke me, because I understood it so well. I also loved Selesia's last words about "promise you'll give us coffee and stories." Now there's a woman with her priorities straight. Wink

If Alicetaria, Selesia and Charon are dead, what becomes of their stories? If they just go back to their world and the stories continue as if nothing happened, then I guess once they win, the survivors all kill each other Individual Eleven-style or something and go home. Smile

Altair is kind of in a bad position now though, after killing off Alicetaria. People don't generally like OP characters (unless they have other redeeming features to root for), and while they might've briefly been on her side wanting the battle keep going, the many, many fans of those two characters (and others) will now be itching to see her taken down, which ought to weaken her - if I'm understanding this, which is unlikely.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:02 pm Reply with quote
^^
My assumption at this point is that Creations who die in the Creators' world still continue on in the original story world, but they lose whatever independent identity that they formed while in the Creators' world. Hence it's more a death of identity than an actual death. That would fit well with the overall emphasis on creators and the creative process and wouldn't lessen one bit the emotional impact of their failures or sacrifices.

Now, the more interesting question that brings up - especially in light of Meteora's apparent ability to pull characters out of stories like Altair can - is what would happen if she tried to bring in a new version of Selesia. Rather doubt the story has the time and will to go there, but we'll see.

And yeah, it'll be interesting to see if Altair starting to rub people the wrong way because of her OP nature will have some impact. I'd love to see that addressed, too. It's also not out of the question that the Creations might have discussed that. While I doubt that figured into Selesia's decision-making process and she's not the braniac that Meteora is, neither is she dumb (we're talking about a young woman who quickly figured out how to drive a car based on the principles of mecha operation, after all), so it's not out of the realm of possibility.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vannil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Altair is kind of in a bad position now though, after killing off Alicetaria. People don't generally like OP characters (unless they have other redeeming features to root for), and while they might've briefly been on her side wanting the battle keep going, the many, many fans of those two characters (and others) will now be itching to see her taken down, which ought to weaken her - if I'm understanding this, which is unlikely.

She has three glaring weaknesses: Setsuna, the fact she doesn't have a story, and Megane.
Megane more so than the other two since Megane can alter reality like herself. Though I've been wondering this a while now, but does Megane's powers affect Altair? I wouldn't think Altair would easily fall for Megane's tricks, but would a lie of omission work for the requirement for Megane's ability? Also, I believe Altair would have some deus ex machina power to not be affected by Megane's abilities, but its something I've been thinking about since Megane's discussion with Sota last episode.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
After what happened with Mamika it does seem likely that Selesia is dead and I do wonder how far they will go. Would they really end this show with all of the creations getting killed off and returning to their stories? I mean that would set everything back to normal but I think that would be a depressing way to end the show.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I do get the sense that Altair is making a mistake by thinking that killing off the other creations will make her more accepted. While that is partly true it is also making her into a villain and what most people want to see in a story is for the villain to be defeated.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:09 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Now, the more interesting question that brings up - especially in light of Meteora's apparent ability to pull characters out of stories like Altair can - is what would happen if she tried to bring in a new version of Selesia. Rather doubt the story has the time and will to go there, but we'll see.

The Birdcage story is carefully created by the creators for their creations(Smile ) and this allows for a multitude of possibilities;
Meteora could bring Selesia & Alice back moments before they "died" with memories intact,their creators could write them back into "life" as if Selesia & Alice never left it....

Sota's lack of surprise and grief over Selesia's self-sacrifice has me thinking it was written into the story.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:53 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Sota's lack of surprise and grief over Selesia's self-sacrifice has me thinking it was written into the story.

The one problem with that theory, though, is that Team Creators clearly didn't know that Charon specifically was afoot before he appeared.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thaumana

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:00 am Reply with quote
Finally a scene where a creator mourns about a character's death.
Key wrote:

The one problem with that theory, though, is that Team Creators clearly didn't know that Charon specifically was afoot before he appeared.

Right. And in my opinion there were too many weaknesses of the whole bird's cage plan all along. Altair had the best cards having mostly all main characters on her side. Sho becoming a renegade was mere luck I say. Also they couldn't expect that she already knows every move (she also knew that Aliceteria coorporated with Magane by commenting that the 'knight teamed up with the clown').

The OP criticism is the only visible solution for that mess I could see now. I don't like the idea that Souma could plan to "reanimate" a fake Setsuna to make her talk with Altair and let her know that she wouldn't want her creation to do such things. I doubt even if Altair can be sentimental as shown few episodes ago she would not fall for such a cheap story trick with that self-awareness of hers.

The other thing that bugs me a bit is how determined Blitz has become to face Altair as his new enemy even though he seemed to be the only character who understood her grief... Yeah, it's all about his daughter but I don't know... it kinda feels like they settled it in the easiest way they could. I saw Blitz as the only person who share a similar experience with Altair and that he would be more than a simple puppet to her ... I hope there will be at least one scene with them talking to each other again.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:36 am Reply with quote
Thaumana wrote:
I don't like the idea that Souma could plan to "reanimate" a fake Setsuna to make her talk with Altair and let her know that she wouldn't want her creation to do such things. I doubt even if Altair can be sentimental as shown few episodes ago she would not fall for such a cheap story trick with that self-awareness of hers.
I don't know, with how obviously (YMMV) the show seemed to be setting up this twist a couple episodes ago, back then I thought I'd actually be surprised if they didn't go through with this plan and if Altair wouldn't be shown as having seen it coming, at least to some extent. But then there's the sequence of Altair being uncharacteristically emotional at the sight of Setsuna in the second OP, which makes me think they'll play this scenario straight if they go with it.

At this point I'm not sure if I'm giving the show's writing too little credit or too much...
nechronius

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Thaumana wrote:
The OP criticism is the only visible solution for that mess I could see now.

That's the point I'm at now. Vastly improving the powers of well known established characters somehow wouldn't be accepted despite the fact that it's well worn trope that characters will "level up" significantly over the course of a story.

Yet a somewhat obscure character from a fan site has every OP power that every wanna-be artist came up with to add to her is suddenly very real despite the fact that it took so long for people in the industry to even recognize who she was to begin with.

Overall the series is still entertaining enough but the times when actions/words seem to be inconsistent with how scenarios should be played out is a bit frustrating. We'll just have to see how things eventually resolve.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 29 of 33