• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Why would anyone be looking for a photo on a lamppost?

And when the photo is monologuing to itself.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, they'd be looking for a photo because that's what they were doing by the end of the previous episode.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote
^Right. I mean, remember, we have a group of characters that found out the exact location of where Kira got his shirts done because of a single button that was grabbed off of his shirt.

...Yet, they're looking for a talking photograph, and that talking photograph was attached to a lamp-post loudly commentating on the events in front of them.

...I know, I know... It couldn't be any other way. But I don't like this trope.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Well, they'd be looking for a photo because that's what they were doing by the end of the previous episode.

Though primarily they're still looking for Kira.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Though primarily they're still looking for Kira.

Although I'd think that Kira's father having the arrow makes him a primary target for the group as well.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:
And I'm the opposite. I think this episode just moves to validate a lot of complaints mentioned in this topic recently...
I hope this is just an exception and the rest will be better than this.

Yeah I know. It's almost like that might have been the point or something.

I'm with Revolutionary on this; the janken episode felt like filler to me (but so did many of the prior MOTW episodes, so I guess I'm still grinding my same old ax). I think Jojo has historically done absurd and ridiculous (as in over-the-top but still maintaining dramatic tension) really well but I don't think it's ever really pulled off silly or wacky (as in crafting an episode that's all intended as one long, repetitive joke, with no real suspense throughout the episode and an intentionally goofy, non-threatening villain) all that well.
MalcolmBelmont

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Next Arc after Highway Star i am sure pepole will very much like since it's stars Kira as the protag..look foward to that mind you HS is one of the best fights in the series]
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah! Highway Star was what I was waiting for the entirety of Part 4!

Also, it's pretty apparent Josuke was up to something in that dice game, considering everything Josuke has done seems to involve Stands in some way, often other people's Stands.

I'm personally okay with the monster-of-the-week setup. Each individual conflict is written so well that I feel like this is a "journey" kind of series rather than a "destination" type, and it's important to know which one a serial is in order to enjoy it.
Edl01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I'd say that I'm surprised that Highway Star only got a B+ but I'm honestly not, at this point I've just kinda accept that as the default rating.

Ignoring my own saltiness personally I'm personally think Highway Star was handled great. The final third of part 4 so far is as good as my memory holds. The last few episodes have all been great and David Production have doing wonderful at adapting some of the manga's best scenes. (DAGA KOTOWARU)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't quite see Echoes Act 3 as all that useful either (or at least not as useful as Act 1 (I've already forgotten what Act 2 could do - it's always seemed odd to me that it loses abilities when it powers up), but cheeky Koichi was golden in this episode, especially when he was hanging off the doorway. Laughing The baby carriage was pretty great too. This is probably the most fun I've had with JoJo for awhile now.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:27 pm Reply with quote
This most recent episode was phenomenal, top-tier Jojo. It might not exactly be the absurd, clever, funny, campy, badass show I fell in love with back with Jonathan Joestar, Speedwagon, and then Joseph Joestar, but it's awesome nonetheless.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't quite see Echoes Act 3 as all that useful either (or at least not as useful as Act 1 (I've already forgotten what Act 2 could do - it's always seemed odd to me that it loses abilities when it powers up), but cheeky Koichi was golden in this episode, especially when he was hanging off the doorway. Laughing The baby carriage was pretty great too. This is probably the most fun I've had with JoJo for awhile now.

Echoes doesn't lose any abilities; Koichi can summon any of the 3 whenever he needs them, the three do have different abilities though. His whole power is basically manifestations of sounds; Act 1 can plaster sounds onto any surface and make them literally sound; Act 2 can plaster sounds too but they actually happen, like a rush of wind or heat; Act 3 rhymes itself with Freeze and what does is add weight to a target, the closer the user is, the stronger the weight and therefore, it "freezes" the target.

What he did in this episode was add weight to those jars so the nurse couldn't lift them up.
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
My favorite part from the last episode was that Kira actually showed some concern for Shinobu. I have not read the manga and I don't know anything about his backstory, and what made him start romancing... hands, but I always had pictured him in my mind as the greatest example of a psychopath killer, the kind that cannot connect emotionally with other people. This episode surprisingly proves me wrong though. Although Kira is more than far from being called sane, he's actually not uncaring. Maybe it's because it's the first time he lived with another actual human being and not just a part of it? Whatever the case might be, it was kind of cute hearing him start an internal monologue and make excuses to himself as to why he was worried about Shinobu's well being. Love JoJo for stuff like this!
gedata

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Chocoreto wrote:
My favorite part from the last episode was that Kira actually showed some concern for Shinobu. I have not read the manga and I don't know anything about his backstory, and what made him start romancing... hands, but I always had pictured him in my mind as the greatest example of a psychopath killer, the kind that cannot connect emotionally with other people. This episode surprisingly proves me wrong though. Although Kira is more than far from being called sane, he's actually not uncaring. Maybe it's because it's the first time he lived with another actual human being and not just a part of it? Whatever the case might be, it was kind of cute hearing him start an internal monologue and make excuses to himself as to why he was worried about Shinobu's well being. Love JoJo for stuff like this!

spoiler[The source of his growing affection probably comes from the fact that asides from Reimi perhaps, Kira's victims were women he considered petty and undeserving of life like the one he went after once he was done killing Shigechi. Ever since Shinobu fell in love with the lie he constructed, he's been spending time with a woman that doesn't exhibit the same personality traits he looks for in potential victims.]
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
More Shinobu I understand but more Hayato?.....why would anybody want that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 28