• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Dress-Up Darling

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:43 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

Huh, it is pretty interesting. You might even say a culture where some police appearance and bodies to such a degree, even calling dark skin or abnormal hair colors unnatural, might have some kind of issues involving the color of one's skin. Why one might even go so far as to say a scenario where someone temporarily darkens their skin for a costume, then undoes it to avoid any potential negative repercussions for said darker skin, would be stumbling right into a larger and more serious discussion about how the culture in which it was created treats darker-skinned individuals. You could even go out on a limb and say that doing so without a lot of thought on the matter might step on some toes and make people uncomfortable.

Of course, that's certainly silly. As so many in this thread have mentioned Japan historically has 0 problems pertaining to skin color. That's only something us silly Americans think about.

Funny then, that you Americans don't seem to care about issue of someone temporarily lightening their hair, or using brown hairpiece, and undoing it to avoid any potential negative repercussions for said brown hair, or the the issues about changing eyelid shape, despite it also being a negative like Gina Szanboti mentioned few page ago. Almost like if you only only care about issues that make you Americans personally uncomfortable, without caring about body issues that are absent in USA. The fact that I haven't seen any darker-skinned native Japanese or someone from SEA area complaining about this episode or this practice anywhere, only Americans, also suggest that.

Brown hair can make someone unemployable on default assumption on being dyed and therefore unprofessional, or can harm business that employs brown-haired person, according to what I've heard (mom instantly crossing off childcare with brown-haired caretaker IIRC), not to mention all the pressure on students - there was a lawsuit recently - and it's all based on fears for school's reputation as allowing hair dye. I've heard about much more issues with having non-typical hair in Japan than with having darker skin.

EDIT: And BTW, as for policing the body, I've seen posters from Malaysia, India, Indonesia and Philippines commenting about far more drastic policing in their countries, like for example schools straight up shaving students bald for dyed hair or inappropriate haircut, which was "much worse problem for girls, because boys didn't give a shit", so it's not like it's some Japan-only issue. I'll have to ask them next time how their schools treated students with naturally brown hair, though I don't expect much difference.

Last edited by a_Bear_in_Bearcave on Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:38 am Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
Christ almighty, a reviewer says "this is slightly uncomfortable" and suddenly we have 700 new comments about how blackface is ok

... huh? I don't think anyone in this thread said anything even remotely like that. Most of the argument was about whether it's reasonable to interpret Marin applying foundation to cosplay as an insensitive reminder/extension of something like blackface, given its distinct role in Japan's history of racial oppression when compared with America. At no point does that involve saying "blackface is OK" (whether the American or Japanese varieties); in fact, agreeing that blackface is ugly and racist is a requirement for there having been that discussion at all, and was repeated explicitly dozens of times during the conversation.

Cryten wrote:
Shouldnt we separate a tan gyaru character from characters depicting other races?...There are two seperate debates that are crossing over here. Firstly is tan the same as black face? Here I would argue no as it is something that is reasonable for someone to attain and understandable for someone to fake for a brief day shoot of a cosplay.

I think everyone agrees that they're not the same thing, but there's disagreement over whether it is racist to artificially color your skin (even if obviously not blackface) because of the practice being similar to blatantly racist practices (especially blackface). I would, for example, probably be a lot more uncomfortable with the scene if it had appeared in an American show, where I would sort of expect it to be very common for people to quickly relate it to skin coloration used in racist caricature, and as a result would expect the show-runners to be very careful about writing a scene focused on it (and the only recent-ish examples I can think of where this was done in American shows went quite far out of their way to make it clear they were adopting it as particularly extreme satire). I think it becomes problematic because the connection of skin coloration to oppressive racist caricature is so widely recognized in American culture (which, in turn, I attribute to America's especially deep legacy of slavery, and American blackface being a very direct outgrowth of that); that shared expectation -- i.e., knowing people will widely react that way -- changes the impact of showing a character doing this (sort of like a word can be offensive in one language but meaningless in another).

I'm less sure that argument makes sense in a Japanese context, but it certainly could be the case, and people on the other side of the argument have been pointing out reasons they think it is the case (.. though with no small amount of self-righteous sneering). I'm not sure I'll personally be convinced without having better insight into the Japanese cosplay community's perspective on it (especially from its sub-community of people of mixed race), although I'm less confident now than I was before the "700 new comments".
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:43 am Reply with quote
The definition of racism is the idea that there is such thing as "human races": the biological reality is that there is no such thing. In US culture, "race" is part of an individual's identity: a person's identity is their age, gender, and race. Then, the US culture is, following the definition, an inherently racist culture. To care about the "racial identity" implications of an individual's costume is by itself the result of a mentality that can only exist in people whose mindset was shaped by a racist culture.

a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:

Is it sensitive to people over seas or just Americans? Because I wouldn't want Japanese and every other's country artistic output to become adjusted to USA sensibilities just because of USA's outsized influence on the world. Besides, I didn't really see Americans on Reddit or MAL having a problem with this episode, so it seems to be more like "Police in a Pod" case, where only small minority of Americans - and even fewer people outside USA - have any problem with it.
After all, if creator learned that they can't have cosplays of tanned characters, that would just meant we'd all miss out on great cosplay on totally-not-Ramlethal, not that we saw much of it anyway.

It is a fact that we are all living in "Amerika" now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr8ljRgcJNM
Now, US-specific cultural notions like their "racial" sensibilities have been exported to the entire rest of the world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:49 pm Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
Anyways I've been kind dreading this ep all season since the character is in the opening, but I found it not as bad as I feared it would be. It's just that an anime japanese person with a fake tan looks identical to an anime african person.

I have to disagree. Black characters are almost always drawn completely differently than tanned Japanese characters. Facial features, hair, and other traits are drawn very specifically depending on which one it is. Even with the newer Shaman King anime toning down his lips, Chocolove still has a bigger nose, puffy hair, and other facial aspects that clearly depict him as black rather than just a dark-skinned Japanese. And even if Attack on Titan didn't literally stop everything just for the characters to ask Onyankopon why he was black it was obvious. The nose thing is a very big giveaway since that's how most Japanese media will depict foreigners, like how Sado from Bleach has a bigger nose than his peers to depict his mixed Mexican-Japanese heritage. Even in live-action productions you can find silly things like Japanese actors taping a big prosthetic nose to their face to depict foreigners.

I can understand newer or more casual fans mixing them up, but I think once you've been exposed to these kinds artistic trends and standards it's pretty easy to see the not-Ramlethal character isn't meant to be black. As for the actual topic itself, I've honestly never heard of fake-tanning being offensive. Gaudy and ugly, sure, like how people would make fun of that fake bronze tan you'd see on Jersey Shore, but never actually offensive. But I don't pay much attention to this kind of stuff so maybe that's why.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:02 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:

EDIT: And BTW, as for policing the body, I've seen posters from Malaysia, India, Indonesia and Philippines commenting about far more drastic policing in their countries, like for example schools straight up shaving students bald for dyed hair or inappropriate haircut, which was "much worse problem for girls, because boys didn't give a shit", so it's not like it's some Japan-only issue. I'll have to ask them next time how their schools treated students with naturally brown hair, though I don't expect much difference.

Huh those drastic measures do happen in the Philippines, but they're mostly blown out of proportion reports and definitely not a universal policy. So rare that they make it to the local news when they do occur, and are treated with much outrage. I've had friends and relatives who had their hair dyed during high school and most they got was a slap on the wrist. And on the topic of naturally brown hair, it's even more common here than in Japan, mine included (on top of a weird blonde streak on one side) and I never knew anyone who got any flak for it.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:48 am Reply with quote
SaneSavantElla wrote:

Huh those drastic measures do happen in the Philippines, but they're mostly blown out of proportion reports and definitely not a universal policy. So rare that they make it to the local news when they do occur, and are treated with much outrage. I've had friends and relatives who had their hair dyed during high school and most they got was a slap on the wrist. And on the topic of naturally brown hair, it's even more common here than in Japan, mine included (on top of a weird blonde streak on one side) and I never knew anyone who got any flak for it.

Well, the people discussing those drastic measures were talking mostly about their distant youth (everybody is now old on Internet), and discussing school punishments in general in relation to current Indonesian manga showing bunch of friends getting drenched with jet of water from a hose as a punishment for skipping class (not that it stopped them from enjoying their youth) and that specific poster mentioning the shaving seems to be Malaysian, so sorry for generalizing here. Japan schools used to be much worse in the past too, from what I've heard.

I remember that when topic of Asian parenting, filial duty, minimizing interactions between genders and school punishments comes up in Japanese manga, often many people from other Asian countries compare their own experiences and social expectations of their societies, and they tend to be quite similar.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Since we're talking about hair now, discrimination based on hair is enough of an issue in the US that the House just passed the CROWN Act, to outlaw it in schools, employment and public accommodations (California passed its version in 2019). This type of discrimination is usually aimed at various styles like locs, cornrows, twists, braids, Bantu knots, and Afros.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:37 pm Reply with quote
THAT PAUSE......(if there ever was a time I wanted to effin' yell when a phone rang....)
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:02 pm Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:
THAT PAUSE......(if there ever was a time I wanted to effin' yell when a phone rang....)

Poor Gojo.. he's gonna need a long, cold shower after that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I knew what was coming from the manga, but episode 11 still hit different. Embarassed

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
njprogfan wrote:

Poor Gojo.. he's gonna need a long, cold shower after that.

He CLEARLY took matters into his own hands in that final scene.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow, they're really, ah, edging Gojo and Marin really close to the brink here, eh.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:23 am Reply with quote
Urgh that last scene. Even in erotic / ecchi shows these scenes bring down the show to just awkward and offputting. Almost makes me wish Goro was a bit more explorative and not awkward but these shows tend to be afraid of losing some of its fanbase. IE he cant be more confident then potential viewers.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:07 am Reply with quote
Not a lot of cosplay technique exposition in this episode.

I think a seminar on wing-and-and-tail construction (plus attachment) is in order.

Though I suppose the bit about Gojo having to create big parts of the costume from his imagination (plus additional succubus research) might count?

(I wonder what the folks in the next room thought of Marin's excited squees.)
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:34 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
(I wonder what the folks in the next room thought of Marin's excited squees.)

I must give a shout out for the directing; that scene where they stop and listen to the next room had me howling! And then the elevator! Some really good little things like that makes me appreciate this anime even more.
TheWayEyeRoll

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Seemed like an unusually awkward transition between stories this week. The episode left me with lots of questions.

What was the point of the the conversation with the grandfather about spoiler[buying new outfits? Was it implying something happened to Gojo's clothes in the love hotel? Marin noticed something was happening when she was sitting on Gojo, but did she actually realize what it is she felt?] Was there was reason Marin inched off the bed the way she did? What exactly was Marin referring to when she said "That was way too close."?

That whole scene was done so well, especially the silent bit. So many wonderful little details. So much tension. So much conveyed without speaking. I'm wondering if next week there will be ramifications or will the story just move along.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 23