• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Listings Reveal New Tokyopop Licenses

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LKK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
LKK wrote:
TP licensing a Gorgeous Carat title? That makes this the third US publisher for that story series. And none of them have been license rescues. That's got to be close to a record for the number of different US publishers for one story series. Right?

Blu is TP's BL imprint.

Oh. You know something? I knew that. I knew all that. Rolling Eyes I'm not sure what I was thinking when I posted, but clearly whatever I was thinking wasn't right thinking. Now I feel really foolish. Embarassed
sawwie-chan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
What is Gorgeous Carat Esperanza? I have most of You Higuri's works in Japanese (and the ones available in English), and I've never heard of this one. She doesn't list anything on her website other than the two GC series that have already been translated (though her website isn't completely up to date).

Interestingly Amazon.jp lists Gorgeous Carat Esperanza only as a Tokyopop release for 1875 yen, to be released in June 2009. There is no corresponding Japanese book for sale.

Perhaps You Higuri has been signed to do a book in English?

This one: http://www.gentosha-comics.net/genzo/titles/2008/09/26-125300.php
perhaps no takouban yet maybe?
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:44 am Reply with quote
sawwie-chan wrote:
sunflower wrote:
What is Gorgeous Carat Esperanza?

This one: http://www.gentosha-comics.net/genzo/titles/2008/09/26-125300.php
perhaps no takouban yet maybe?

Oh wow!!! It started as a serial October of last year. I had no idea! Thank you. I'm really looking forward to this. ^__^
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm disappointed that they dropped a number of series and picked up a bunch more. They've been too dodgy for my tastes (side stepping questions about the future of this or that title, then just ignoring inquiries). I wouldn't mind it so much if they came out and said, "look, these did really poorly and we can't hold onto them anymore," but no we can only assume that a reason like that is indeed the case.

I'm also disappointed that TP has Mirai Nikki and Susanoh, because I think those both deserve nice releases and TP has not had a really nice release in.... recent history. Now, this is of course my opinion, but I'm tired of TP's low quality paper, abused cover art, and strange printing errors that I've been told are my fault (So next time you see a volume where the pages are printed slightly off the page and you can't read half of speech bubbles, blame me. It's cool, I guess it's my fault there).

I'm not saying that they are the only company with problems like these, but they seem to be the company that most consistently has these problems. These, coupled with their dodgy behavior on releasing titles has led me to steer clear of most of their releases. Honestly, I think these titles would have done well as Dark Horse or Del Rey releases (although I have some concerns about Del Rey releases lately too...Sad). Sorry, I think I'll be buying the Japanese volumes instead.

/party crasher
population_tire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Yay, Future Diary!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3