• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bulma's Emmy Rossum Discusses Live-Action Dragonball

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mimosa_usagi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
well as a dragon ball fan i will go see the movie just to give it a chance. i never write anything off ( i even saw the DOA movie just to give it a chance god what a piece of crap) but i got a bit sad when i saw who they picked for goku. i have seen this actors work before and the only thing he seems to be good at is looking all EMO. what is this emo ball z. his hair also looks like crap. also he has no muscle at all isint goku ripped? the other actor's i will give them a chace becuase they may have some talent. so i will go see the movie just to give it a chance Rolling Eyes god i hope this is not just one big suck feast. but i just have to sopport it as a DB fan and nothing more. Confused
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
If this Dragonball movie is anything like the last few minutes of Chow's Kung fu Hustle was,I'll probably like it.The trailer is coming out,mid-october.We'll see then.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
I dunno, upon looking back, there is alot of things that can either be fairly recreated, or use George Lucas' favorite weapon, CGI.

Just because they can doesn't mean they should, that was my point. Besides, are you sure you want to use Lucas as your example of successful CG in film?

Quote:
* Goku's Spikey Hair [...] why not hair that would make hairdressers faint in disbelief?

Because the audience will too; and I don't mean the movie audience, I mean the trailer/commercial audience; then, they definitely won't go see it because, "OMG, the hair is awful." There's a fine line to walk here; longtime fans of the property may want to see accuracy, but the real demographic for this movie may be general teenagers, not DBZ fans and not necessarily animé fans in specific at all (which is sensible, as we're too small a group to count in the box office, ask anyone). So they can't risk making the movie look uncool just to be true to the original look.

Quote:
* Bulma's Blue Hair - Hey, if ravers and goths can rock colored hair, then that's no excuse why Bulma can't have blue hair.

Hair with a blue sheen can look cool, but full-on bright blue hair always, always looks stupid, just Google some pics and see what I mean; if they dialed back the blue a lot from the manga, then yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing it.

Quote:
* Capsule Corporation - You can't tell me that such technology doesn't exist in some form or another in the real world.

I guess I can't say anything if I can't tell you that, because I can't think of saying anything BUT "such technology doesn't exist".

mimosa_usagi wrote:
isint goku ripped?

Please learn how contractions work, sweetie. Thanks. As far as Goku being ripped, Google that too. Look at high school-age Goku, who only appears for a short time in the manga, during the last Tournament against Piccolo. He's not exactly what I would call bulky. So as long as Chatwin has good tone in the movie, being thin is just fine.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Irit:
Quote:
Because the audience will too; and I don't mean the movie audience, I mean the trailer/commercial audience; then, they definitely won't go see it because, "OMG, the hair is awful." There's a fine line to walk here;

They saw that lame Besson troll movie. [In France, anyway...] Well, ok, weird CG hair didn't hurt Jet Li when he played Goku in Forbidden Kingdom. And no one had a problem with keeping Wolvie's hair for Hugh Jackman.

Quote:
Hair with a blue sheen can look cool, but full-on bright blue hair always, always looks stupid,

How about green with Ledger? Or blue hair on Beast in the last X Men flick? Or blue skin on Mystique?

Quote:
Look at high school-age Goku, who only appears for a short time in the manga, during the last Tournament against Piccolo.

But Goku doesn't look like an ordinary high school kid, which is why it's believable.
mimosa_usagi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
learn how contractions work, sweetie. Thanks. As far as Goku being ripped, Google that too. Look at high school-age Goku, who only appears for a short time in the manga, during the last Tournament against Piccolo. He's not exactly what I would call bulky. So as long as Chatwin has good tone in the movie, being thin is just fine.

i am useing that word in the way i hear it most often. and i think that most fans exspect to see goku as haveing lots of muscle. at least i am not running around saying stuff like "OMG he's not aisan!!11!!!1" it is a prefrence, the actor has no tone on his body at all. and while we are on that tone has a lot of meanings as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_tone

Edit: english is not my first language so i am going to make mistakes.

Last edited by mimosa_usagi on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
Quote:
* Capsule Corporation - You can't tell me that such technology doesn't exist in some form or another in the real world.

I guess I can't say anything if I can't tell you that, because I can't think of saying anything BUT "such technology doesn't exist".

As does Lightsabers, Gundams, Labors, Sexariods/Replicants, practical flying cars, laserguns, Interstellar Spaceships, Replicators, Holodecks, Phasers, tricorders, Emergency Medical Holograms (EMH), Three Seashells, etc., etc.... And yet, alot of movies feature some sort of futuristic tech without any problems whatsoever.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So I got a chance to see one of the first preview screenings of the new Dragonball movie. Obviously skeptical and slightly worried how my childhood favourites would be portrayed on the silver screen, I was delightfully surprised to find out that it wasn't as bad as I expected. So heres my opinions:

tl;dr Some Fox Viral Marketer spamming the IMDB boards. Too busy watching Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego? torrent rips to give a damn.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1098327/board/flat/118474954?p=1
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:14 am Reply with quote
Honya: They're called "plants".
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:23 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Honya: They're called "plants".

This is a plant:

Unless i'm mistaken, plants can't use computers.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
What I don't get is why does FOX continue to promote it in other countries, if they're so sure we'll like it? Rolling Eyes
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Why not?

I don't see a reason not to.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, we're the ones who are still buying it over ten years after it's been finished elsewhere, so I'm wondering why we're the ones who are hearing about it last, instead of first.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Well, we're the ones who are still buying it over ten years after it's been finished elsewhere, so I'm wondering why we're the ones who are hearing about it last, instead of first.

Because we AREN'T the only ones still interested in Dragon Ball. I don't know why you still insist on saying it's a dead franchise. There are still video games, DVDs, toys, manga reissues, and even animated specials still being produced on a very frequent basis world wide. Just because a show and manga have ended doesn't mean the franchise dies instantly with it, especially when it's been running as long as this one.

It must be lonely in your secluded little bubble.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Emerje: I'm not arguing it's dead, just peaked. It'll make money the way the Star Trek and Star Wars merchandise will make, but it'll never be as big as it was in the past.

Last edited by GATSU on Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote
Just because you are living in the United States doesn't mean you know everything about the world GATSU. I don't know where you get your information on DB sales in other coutries, first of all I haven't seen any. And from what I know, just because a franchise is finished doesn't mean it will not make any more money. Ever heard of "cult" status?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7