• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do mispronunciations in dubs bother you?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eusis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Askman wrote:
For example, my biggest beef was with Noein. Throughout the entire dub they kept mispronouncing Haruka's name over and over. It drove me crazy. Twisted Evil

In cases like this, it's probably most likely a directorial decision than individual actors not getting it right. Usually it's the director's duty to be consistent with each actor in getting something pronounced right, and so such 'errors' might become consistent if the director feels that that should be the way to pronounce something.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
Like Killtheshrew, I'd probably never know that Japanese words were being mispronounced, as I don't speak the language.
However, it does annoy me in dubs and other programmes when Americans "mis"pronounce English words... Words like route, aluminium, vase, zebra... Especially "zee" for "zed."

"We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language."
-- Oscar Wilde, in The Canterville Ghost (1887).

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it annoys me no end. It may be hypocritical that I find engrish quaint but get bugged by American's mispronouncing Japanese names, but there it is. I can never figure out if the people making the dubs just haven't bothered listening to how the names were originally pronouced, just didn't care, or somehow hear things differently to me. The one that seems to be wrong every time is words ending in an 'e'. Perhaps it helps that I learned German in school where, like Japanese, 'e's are never silent, but every time American dubs come across a non-silent e at the end of a word they seem to overcompensate so e.g. Haibane Renmei comes out sounding more like Haibanei Renmei despite the words clearly having different endings. And I still cringe every time I head Dicegay (Daisuke).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Meh, I try not to let it bug me...but it's like when people pronounce anime and manga (or Naruto; ugh, I really hate it when they say that wrong) wrong. It gets annoying after awhile.

But if it's like once or twice, not a big deal; we all make mistakes and just let it go. Multiple times or all the time however...that's when it's just ugh...that's when I want to throw my remote at the TV screen.
Watashi wa Ryuzaki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a problem with it, and reeally cringe and those who make a fit over it all. Does it bother you when Japanese people try to speak english and they mispronounce any words ?

God, the only people that I see who complain about things in this matter are the otaku fanboys.
Eusis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Meh, I try not to let it bug me...but it's like when people pronounce anime and manga (or Naruto; ugh, I really hate it when they say that wrong) wrong. It gets annoying after awhile.

Yes. Those three words, when mis-pronounced, seem to be the most common annoyances within the fandom. But then again, I'm pretty sure most of us fans were all guilty of saying those words wrong when we started out.

I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with saying a certain name or title "incorrectly" when you're trying to address it with people who are unfamiliar with the stuff. Several months ago I was looking for a Kanon DVD at a Suncoast video store, and I asked the people working there if they had Kanon ("cannon") in their stores. Granted I knew the correct Japanese pronunciation at the time. But to be honest, saying it (with the appropriate stresses) to people who aren't anime fans or aren't familiar Japanese speech would probably make one seem a tad strange and pretentious.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Watashi wa Ryuzaki wrote:
I don't have a problem with it, and reeally cringe and those who make a fit over it all. Does it bother you when Japanese people try to speak english and they mispronounce any words ?

God, the only people that I see who complain about things in this matter are the otaku fanboys.

You mean the people who say it's endearing when the japanese do it but terrible when americans do? That's what bothers me why is engrish "cute" but when a japanese name is said incorrectly it's cause for a 2000 word internet rant?
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote
It's cute when a foreigner can't pronounce one's own language correctly. It's embarrassing when one's own countryman displays his ignorance of a foreign language. It's still double standard, but the attitude is essentially the same across the entire world, and the different stances toward mispronunciations in the English and Japanese voice tracks is just one manifestation of it. No need to get in arms.

It only bothers me if the mispronounced word has an accepted pronunciation in English--whether because the word exists in English or because it's a commonly used word from a foreign language. Naturally, I define the correct pronunciations as the accepted pronunciations in English, not whatever was spoken in the Japanese original, so slavishly following the original often annoys me. The worst example of this is in Angelic Layer. A doll is called an angel, and a player is called a deus. Obviously, deus is meant to be the Latin word for god. The Japanese voice track sounded much closer to the accepted English pronunciation than the English voice track. Uh oh.
Wellness

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Since I usually see the dub first, it doesn't bother me unless the voice actors voice is completely wrong for the character or is just annoying.
Labbes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Boomerang Flash wrote:
It's cute when a foreigner can't pronounce one's own language correctly. It's embarrassing when one's own countryman displays his ignorance of a foreign language. It's still double standard, but the attitude is essentially the same across the entire world, and the different stances toward mispronunciations in the English and Japanese voice tracks is just one manifestation of it. No need to get in arms.

I find it pretty much ignorant if there is a major mispronounciation, or grammatical mistake, in the language used. I think the studios should have the money to get someone who actually is fluent in that language to build the sentences. I think I have come across one series with a grammatically correct German sentence, and there is no way I could find that "cute".
(I don't get angry over it or such, but it does bother me.)
findingForever

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
The few times I ever watch dubs, the mispronunciations usually only bother me for a couple of episodes. Like when I'm watching a subbed version of an anime, the pronunciation for character's names will catch on for me over time. So similarly, a mispronounced name in a dub will stick after a little while. There are other things, however, in a dub that can bring absolute hatred from the murky depths of my bowels, but for the sake of staying on topic I won't expand. Confused

Basically, as long as translations don't get as bad as "All your base are belong to us," I doubt people should flip a sh*t over a few mispronunciations in names, places, or things.

Last edited by findingForever on Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I agree with labbes. But the one thing that annoys me about this (as I stated before) are the type of anime fans that hate dubs for no reason and then try to find problems like these with dubs and if and japanese actress messes up saying a name like the aforementioned jennifer then it's cute but if an american actress says something like yumeiko tsuchiya incorrectly she's the worst person in the world. Yes it's annoying but lets face it a large amount of people who do this are those "elitist" fans who basically say everything that comes out of north america is a slaughter and deserves to be discontinued. People who will fight to the death saying that cowboy bebop sounded awful in english and that even though something takes place in a western country or is about western culture still should not be dubbed into english. But then there are the people (like most of us here) who aren't like that and are most concerned with the worst mistakes.

Like boomerang flash said it's a double standard but it seems to occur a lot more on our side of things.
Elfen12

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:11 am Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
I find it pretty much ignorant if there is a major mispronounciation, or grammatical mistake, in the language used. I think the studios should have the money to get someone who actually is fluent in that language to build the sentences. I think I have come across one series with a grammatically correct German sentence, and there is no way I could find that "cute".

I'd have to totaly disagree here... i believe that a couple of mistakes aren't going to completely destory the anime. So what if they say something with a different pronunciation... the Japanese Accent and English Accent aren't supposed to be the same, the way of speakign doesn't intertwine to the point where each accent woudln't have a problem in pronouncing words of the opposing lanugage... The accents are there becuase they fit with their own lanugage... not for a different one. If they were the same, this problem woudln't be so apparently large. The accents are differnet, thus the speakers are used to their accent and their style of saying words, not the other style.

Duck and cover

-Elfen12-
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
Boomerang Flash wrote:

I think that you should find out how to spell "mispronunciation"; I think you should eliminate superfluous commas; and I think you should check the antecedent for "that.".

I described the behavior I noted as a double standard, which is true in the objective sense. The alternatives, however, are quite unpleasant. Suppose we eliminate the double standard by being tolerant of mistakes made by our own countrymen with regard to foreign languages, then this promotes ignorance of those foreign languages. Suppose we eliminate the double standard by being intolerant of foreigners who make mistakes with our languages, then this promotes xenophobia and hostility. Since learning languages is done in great part through trial and error, this double standard is both beneficial and necessary.

The question is whether the standard should be extended to productions such as anime, which, as the products of corporations, should be held to a better standard than a person learning a language. That is your own business.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:42 am Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
However, it does annoy me in dubs and other programmes when Americans "mis"pronounce English words... Words like route, aluminium, vase, zebra... Especially "zee" for "zed."

Ah, but there is definitive proof that we Americans perfected the flawed invention of your language! For you see, if you use that absurd "zed" pronunciation, the Alphabet Song no longer rhymes, and the whole basis of written language is ruined! You are defeated, my good sir!

*wonders how many sarcasm detectors will remain untripped after reading that*

abunai wrote:
I don't think the American VAs "under-act". If anything, it's the opposite, hence my use of the expression "hammy". A "ham", you know, is an actor who over-acts or exaggerates inappropriately. At the same time, I do realize that this is part of an American voice acting tradition, and may be less irritating to an American audience. I usually chalk it up to cultural differences rather than bad acting, and simply avoid U.S. dubs.

But you see, Keonyn and myself have argued the exact opposite of that. On the whole, we don't see American voice actors as "hammy" at all, and that's coming from a lifetime's worth of experience hearing and speaking the language. I couldn't tell you what normal Japanese conversational inflections are like, but I am willing to bet that, unless everyone over there goes around speaking like shounen protagonists all the time, your standard American anime dub is much closer to everyday American English inflections than its Japanese counterpart. Perhaps it all comes down to a matter of opinions or preferences, but I'd forward the notion that it's much more difficult for someone to determine acting quality in a language they've learned much later in life (or, even worse, don't speak at all) than one they've been speaking from the time they uttered their first word.

(And if you think that anime dubs are "hammy," I shudder to think of what your opinion would be of your standard American animated series' voicework. Razz)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7