• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2011-10-26

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
katowen86 wrote:
In the case of zombies, a favorite theory of mine is a disorder similar to the paranoid personality disorder in which the afflicted sees those he knows as impostors or enemies and kills them in defense. It is very possible that the mad ramblings of the single survivor of a zombie outbreak are actually the insanity of a confused individual who has just murdered all those that he/she knew.

If you haven't already, you should read the book Hater. It's pretty much exactly the scenario you're talking about - the people afflicted suddenly start to see other people around them as a very real threat, and will instantly start to attack them. I really like the fact that they talk about how we have no problems with separating people into groups so that we can easily vilify and fear them.
Mune

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Wait, so this means if I do see zombie-like beings, that they aren't really zombies? Way to go people. How am I supposed to distinguish the difference now...? I guess shooting and seeing if they run will give me an idea, unless they're smart zombies...
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Funny enough I'm posting a zombie podcast episode of my 13 Days of Halloween today.

Petrea Mitchell wrote:

On the bright side, though, it seems to me the zombie craze is finally (pardon the expression) dying down. Steampunk looks set to be the next thing that gets way overdone...

That's not so bad because it really hasn't been done much. It's a fad that has yet to really take off.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
This new comic pleases me.

I hate this zombie fad. Monster stories used to serve a purpose. Vampires are a reflection of humanity's greed, lust and aristocratic power structures. Werewolves signify the animal than still lives inside our hearts. Frankenstein's Monster symbolized how human science had outstripped human moral capacity. And even more modern monsters, like in Lovecraft's works, were symbolic of human curiosity pushing beyond the boundaries of what we should know. But zombie are signify nothing. Sure, back in the sixties they were a stand in for mindless consumerism, but today they are nothing but mindless terror. They are simply terror for terror's sake, and this unhealthy obsession is a clear indication of a generation that has lost it's ability of critical thought. Well, critical thought has always been rare, but with today's mass markets, culture is driven by the lowest common denominator, not the educated elite as in past centuries. So I guess zombies do symbolize something: they are a symbol of our cultural malaise, where things are popular for the sole reason that they are popular.

You bring up some good points, however I'd like to mention that vampires and werewolves come from mythology and were long established before they symbolized anything. You are correct in what you are saying, but there was a time when these creatures were pure terror and evil, and basically represenet a supernatural evil that was beyond human understanding and comprehension. But, you are correct in saying that they, along with zombies have become, what I like to call "cotton candy". There just there to be there, if that makes any sense. In other words, like you said, they have lost their once deep meaning, and it's true I agree. And we have Twilight and True Blood to thank for turning vampires and werewolves into cotton candy; being popular for being popular. That's what happens when some things go mainstream.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Nina wielding a chainsaw. That is totally awesome. That is all.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:41 am Reply with quote
Zombies have really boomed into the mainstream. It's like twenty times worse then what's happened to steampunk. It's nice to see something become popular, but then you see the message diluted and people loosing track of the message and ideas of the original. It's a kind of meme degradation, a giant game of telephone. You see it with fiction sub-genres like steampunk or zombies, but you can also point to religions or political movements. Hell, ask a dozen Christians what Christ's teachings were about and you'll get a dozen responses. You might even get that jackass that says Jesus was a zombie and zombies are cool.

Also, I want to know where this bs misconception about zombies wanting brains came from? Why would zombies want to eat brains? If they destroy the brains of their victim, they won't create a new zombie. Zombies just want meat. As much as I love Johnathan Coulton's 're: Your Brains', it does spread this odd idea. They'll gladly eat eyeballs or a limb. And depending on which mythology you look at, you either have to get bitten to turn or in some simply anyone that dies comes back. Still, destroying the brains usually destroys the creature. It's rare to find ones like ReAnimator and a few others where you have to completely destroy the corpse.

Then again, original zombies dealt with voodoo and putting a spell on people so they'd fall into a deathlike trance, get buried, then rise from their grave. I wonder if we'll see anyone make a movie or something that deals with the traditional pre-Romero zombie. Then again even today you don't see too many straight up Romero zombies.

So the idea of zombies is constantly evolving, for good or bad.

Well, at least they don't freaking sparkle in the damn sunlight.... yet.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:13 am Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
You bring up some good points, however I'd like to mention that vampires and werewolves come from mythology and were long established before they symbolized anything. You are correct in what you are saying, but there was a time when these creatures were pure terror and evil, and basically represenet a supernatural evil that was beyond human understanding and comprehension. But, you are correct in saying that they, along with zombies have become, what I like to call "cotton candy". There just there to be there, if that makes any sense. In other words, like you said, they have lost their once deep meaning, and it's true I agree. And we have Twilight and True Blood to thank for turning vampires and werewolves into cotton candy; being popular for being popular. That's what happens when some things go mainstream.

Heck, look at what anime turned the vampires and werewolves into! Freak'n lolis! Laughing
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:46 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

Also, I want to know where this bs misconception about zombies wanting brains came from?

I believe it started in Return of the Living Dead. The zombies in that movie spoke, and talked constantly about wanting brains and 'more paramedics'. However, it was probably the Simpsons Tree House of Horror episode that had the zombies moaning for brains that spread that idea to the mainstream.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:43 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
You might even get that jackass that says Jesus was a zombie and zombies are cool.

What about the jackass that says Jesus was moe? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:14 am Reply with quote
I'll take 6 of your fine, zombie quality dustpans please! Maybe some Zombie UMD products perhaps?
Anymouse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote
That poster was absolutely Hilarious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3