• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
List your personal top five most overated anime (and do you feel the rankings are fair here?)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
^^^
I'd easily third that, but then again most of the people who watch either of those shows aren't likely (with very few reasonable exceptions) to be initially interested in Legend of the Galactic Heroes, simply because it's: a)completely different. b)significantly longer. The series is relatively well received here, all things considered, but I don't think most of the forum posters have ever been exposed to it. Just as well, not everyone will care for space opera, detailed military conflicts and seemingly endless conversations.

Ggultra2764 wrote:
But I don't find both seasons to be anywhere near the very best that anime has to offer and it annoys me that there are folks who believe that both titles are among the best that the medium has to offer.

That's another reason why I prefer to speak of "favorite" rather than "best" series myself. There are certainly far better works, but that doesn't mean everyone will automatically like them more, subjectively or objectively.

While I can see your point, there's little to do about it. Only the passage of time and, with some luck, continuing to watch more and more anime will give people a wider perspective of what the medium has to offer (ironically enough, it has also enhanced certain aspects of this particular series, as well as harmed others, but that's another matter). It's still far too recent and popular.
ThePoliced

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
1- Clannad - To be fair, the first episode was alright. But then it turns into lonely otaku catering and i'm just not down with that.
2- Death Note- Yea, I do beleive Code Geass does it better.
3- Naruto/Bleach/One Piece: Lots of reason given before me.
4- Higurashi: Dunno, the animation is garbage and if i wanted to see mindless killing id go to Gantz.
5- New Shows every season: They get called "the best thing ever" after just one episode...What up with that?. After a while they get called garbage and i get some peace of mind but boy, otakus rly need to get a grip.

Also, dissing Evangelion or Cowboy Bebop is just getting on the hate bandwagon, we all know that if ur over 20 yrs old, these r the shows that u saw(and loved)as a kid. Same goes with Akira, i mean really? the bike scene is overrated?, cant think of a better animation sequence than that. The main theme is simple and it's developed in a very "smooth" way and with an above average complexity. Just cause it doesnt numb ur ass with mumbo jumbo doesnt mean it isnt a great piece of animation.

Now, id like to see someone with the audacity to say stuff like Mushi-shi or GItS is overrated and without depth. I need a laugh.
EricDent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote
No particular order (never really like to "rank" stuff cause it just is silly IMO).

FLCL: Reason: This is just a big mess of a show. It's just way too random for it's own good. The story is almost impossible to follow, and the characters are not very interesting. I still say that the other Gainax series that deals with "growing up issues". Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi (I know it's just as random, but it kind of makes a little sense IMO) did it way better IMO.

Spirited Away: Reason: I truely think the academy may have messed up when giving this movie that award. This movie is way too long, too confusing, and just flat out dull. Especially when compared to much better Studio Ghibli films like My Neighbor Totoro (for example).
When I saw this in the theater, I was like "is this ever going to end?" and that is not a good reaction.

Princess Mononoke: Reason: When the supporting characters in this movie far outshine the lead characters, something is wrong. The main character is just so darn dull, and there is little "real threat" that he would be turned evil. I mean the boars & the wolves were much more interesting than most of the human cast. I think a lot of people view this movie through nostalgia rose-tinted glasses.

Akira: Reason: I know this helped pave the way for a lot of other anime shows & movies. However when the most memorable part of the movie (like some other people mentioned) is two guys yelling each others name at each other. Then there is a problem.

Bleach: Reason: When this show first started on Cartoon Network I got hooked by the rather spooky premise. However like the other show that started that way (Yu Yu Hakusho) it quickly became the usual power-up into the stratosphere show. Heck I missed nearly a month of episodes and still there was little progress (boy these long shows have a mess of filler episodes). Also the show still has no end in sight, since like other long running series of this type, the creator can't bite the bullet and end it.

All of these are my opinion, if you don't agree that's OK, if you do that's also OK.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:58 pm Reply with quote
ThePoliced wrote:
1- Clannad - To be fair, the first episode was alright. But then it turns into lonely otaku catering and i'm just not down with that.

Okay I am certain you don't know what otaku catering is and are just saying so because it is becoming a turn of phrase on this forum.

Quote:
2- Death Note- Yea, I do beleive Code Geass does it better.

Other than bother leads being anti-heroes the two don't do much else similarly enough to claim one does it better.
Quote:
3- Naruto/Bleach/One Piece: Lots of reason given before me.

Lots in this thread? Only one person in this thread has listed one of those three anime and I am sure this is supposed to be your personal top five list, not just what others generally agree on.

Quote:
4- Higurashi: Dunno, the animation is garbage and if i wanted to see mindless killing id go to Gantz.

Except no one anime has a copyright on mindless killing. You could go to Gantz but like Death Note/Code Geass the two series are only vaguely similar and set-out to accomplish different things with their stories.

Quote:
5- New Shows every season: They get called "the best thing ever" after just one episode...What up with that?. After a while they get called garbage and i get some peace of mind but boy, otakus rly need to get a grip.

I don't even...that's a mighty wide brushstroke there. Don't get any hyperbole paint on the floor please.

Quote:
Also, dissing Evangelion or Cowboy Bebop is just getting on the hate bandwagon,

Oh the irony is strong with this one.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:00 am Reply with quote
First of all, I agree that Akira is vastly overrated. I don't care how good the animation is, what I want is a story that makes sense and populated by characters I care and/or are curious about. Akira was awful in both respects.

Secondly, I'll say that many Ghlibli films are to me overrated. I do love Whisper of the Heart, Only Yesterday and Grave of the Fireflies; I have rated all three of them as Masterpieces. But, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Princess Mononoke, and especially Laputa: Castle in the Sky (which for some strange reason is incredibly influential) are all vastly overrated.

Unicorn_Blade wrote:
And from what I saw on the forums, not many people were saying that vampires were innocent victims.

I've seen lots of people at ANN - even in the review of the show as well as in the currently running tournament - say that the humans became just as bad as the vampires were. Which is of course bullcrap. I could - and in the past, did -list many of the reasons why this is so, but it should be self-evident to anyone who has watched the show. That it is not self-evident is certainly not my problem.

There was no grey morality in ShiKi, there was black and there was white. spoiler[Sunako only wanted to live in peace so she killed hundreds of people, including young children not even from the village who were used as live food.]

Rick Dom wrote:
...and anyone who says Steins;Gate or Usagi Drop are better than Legend of Galactic Heroes hasn't seen Legend of Galactic Heroes.

Well I've seen all three, and I can say that LOtGH narrowly beats out Steins;Gate but is thoroughly outmatched by Usagi Drop.

It is nice that fans are dedicated to honouring LOtGH, especially since it never got the release it so richly deserved, but it isn't some bastion of quality. There are so many issues with the show I could write an essay on it. I say that in all seriousness, so please do not assume I am being glib.
vegetatown

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:26 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
^^^
I'd easily third that, but then again most of the people who watch either of those shows aren't likely (with very few reasonable exceptions) to be initially interested in Legend of the Galactic Heroes...not everyone will care for space opera, detailed military conflicts and seemingly endless conversations

Good point...and therein lies my reason for making this thread--sort of. You see i often attempt to cherry pick titles from the top 500--found some very good series that way-- but often end up buying or renting works which I personally do not enjoy. Now I have attempted to solve this problem by looking for titles based on similar themes but often this excludes a great deal of titles. i often wonder if the site maybe could try to have separate ranking lists based on genre so that the rankings would at least be determined by a particular type of fangroup--enabling a greater chance that if I bought something from say the action genre I would enjoy it. Maybe they could have a list for classics as well separate from the modern titles (say anything 1990s or before).

i don't know I guess I'm just trying to find a way to mitigate some of the bias in the rankings for modern dramatic anime, so that i don't miss out on any truly great titles due to the whims of a particular fervent fanbase. Then again I guess that would require alot of work on the part of the staff here--damn me and my backseat driving.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:47 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
The other side will have this listed in the Top 5 of their "Bestest Ever Anime" because they've been limited to the last 10 years of series thanks to Cartoon Network.

Uh, no, people like Death Note because it's genuinely better than 95% of everything else that's been released in the past decade.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
people like Death Note because it's genuinely better than 95% of everything else

As far a I've noticed, praise for Death Note has died down considerably since its release.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:08 am Reply with quote
That may have something to do with the fact that everyone who loves it has said their piece by now.
NatWu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:31 am Reply with quote
I don't really know most people's opinions on most anime, and the distributors all overhype every release as the best new thing since pancakes, so it's kind of hard for me to even know what's really popular. However, I will throw in my two cents since that's what this thread is about.

Spirited Away is just not that special, in my opinion. Others have given plenty of reasons why they think so and that suffices for me. I don't think it is in any way a bad film, but I find Princess Mononoke far superior.

One Piece...I just don't get. Can't say it's bad for this and that reason. Just has no resonance with me.

As far as whether the rankings are fair, I guess it depends on who you are. The rankings are going to be weighted towards what a majority of users have seen, and this is impacted by two things. One, shows that are commercially available in the English-speaking world are just going to have more viewers than those that aren't. We don't all go out of our way to download shows we've never heard of. Obviously a lot of users of this website are people who legally indulge their anime cravings; at least enough of them are to sway the ratings. Plus which, those who are completely restricted to items that are commercially available here are not likely to vote for Macross Frontier or something. Not that the Miyazaki films wouldn't rank highly anyway, but there are people voting for those who don't vote for unavailable things at all. Second, and rather less important, I think, is that the older shows don't get nearly the votes they would have if this website had been around for 20 years. For example, Speed Racer has 471 ratings. I mean, there were a lot of people who watched that show back in the day, as well as Starblazers and others, who are not on here voting.

I think we'd all be happier if we saw ratings based on how well the reviewer's tastes agreed with our own. I don't actually want someone who hates NGE and Akira telling me whether Gantz is good or not. Likewise, I don't like shows like Ouran or Fruits Basket, so should my rating for Boys Over Flowers be important to you? Probably not. In addition, most shows are probably watched by people who are prepared to like them, thus they'll get a good rating. So me and all the other sci-fi junkies are watching all the sci-fi shows and we mostly enjoy them, so they mostly get good ratings. What does that mean to the non sci-fi junkie? Not much. It would only be meaningful if someone like me (likes violence, action, insanity, and sci-fi, bored by girly stuff) rated a show like Fruits Basket highly because I genuinely enjoyed it despite my own proclivities.

In short, I think the only way to come up with a meaningful ranking system is to rank the ranker's ranking by weighing their rankings...if that makes any sense. And you'd have to have a meaningful amount of data on each user. Sorry if this is too long.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:39 am Reply with quote
Death Note
The first third or so of the show is great, but then it just loses steam and never really manages to pick up again. The corporate/memory loss -arc in particular is just waaay too long and boring.

Now and Then, Here and There
This would have been great, if it wasn't for the leads. I don't even remember the bluehaired girl's name and Shu was so annoying I just wanted to punch him in the face. A naive, stupid punk who has the audacity to constantly lecture people about his ideals, even though the only reason he can keep on preaching and avoid the horrible that happens to everyone else is his ridiculous levels of luck.

Elfen Lied
It's completely beyond me why the hell anyone would consider this show even Good, let alone a Masterpiece. Dropped this pandering shit after episode 4, because by that point I already hated every single character so much that I wanted to strangle them.

Nadesico
I can appreciate the meta stuff (especially Gekiganger), but that's about it. Couldn't bring myself to really like any of the characters and the serious stuff and the comedy didn't mesh nearly as well as they should've.

Noir & Witch Hunter Robin
In theory these shows should've been right up my alley, but in practise they were just boring shows with boring characters and boring conspiracy stories. Noir had some nice music, though.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:15 am Reply with quote
@TheSwedishElf
Obviously I'm speaking about people that have changed their opinion about the show.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:34 am Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:
Uh, no, people like Death Note because it's genuinely better than 95% of everything else that's been released in the past decade.

Uh, no, people liked Death Note because Cartoon Network didn't air 95% of everything else that's been released in the past decade.

I'll go on record to say those who've seen Death Note comprise a gathering of people to which only 11% have seen Princess Tutu.

And they never will simply because the cover looks like this, despite this series receiving another set of strong ratings.

I'll put donuts up on a bet of those 9000+ ratings given to Death Note, 60% are comprised of voters who also saw the series on Cartoon Network.

The series is popular, and over-hyped, because of Cartoon Network.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:26 am Reply with quote
Uh huh. Sure thing. No one likes it cause it's a genuinely good show, they just like it because it's what was on Cartoon Network at the time. Keep telling yourself that, maybe it'll eventually magically be true.

Also, anyone who didn't get it or thinks it dragged on too long clearly doesn't have the patience to sit through a series like that to begin with.

Generic #757858 wrote:
Elfen Lied
It's completely beyond me why the hell anyone would consider this show even Good, let alone a Masterpiece. Dropped this pandering shit after episode 4, because by that point I already hated every single character so much that I wanted to strangle them.

Holy hell, THIS.

Why is that pointlessly gory, shallow, misogynistic, pseudo-intellectual emo shit so popular? Seriously, WHY? Is there anything people like about it besides its constant stream of gore, full-frontal female nudity and wangst? For all the hype it receives, it's basically just a cheesily-acted, poorly-written, over-the-top anime equivalent of a slasher film mixed with a soap opera, pretending to be deep and meaningful, topped off by ridiculously pointless, completely out-of-place fanservice everywhere you turn. And hey, let's not forget the main character, Lucy, who spends maybe 5% of her time as a badass naked killing machine and the other 95% as a timid little wimp who can only communicate using the noise "nyu" and is practically treated as a pet by the male lead.

Just... UGH.

Last edited by TheSwedishElf on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
misogynistic, pseudo-intellectual emo garbage

Ironically, I've heard this about Death Note too. But everyone has his own opinion of course. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7