• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Most Anticipated Anime of Summer 2024

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gonzo_Deluxe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:58 pm Reply with quote
There seem to be more rom-coms than isekais. Maybe the tide has finally turned?

Other than that, my most anticipated series are continuations from last season. Hoping for pleasant surprises.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Would you believe there are 3 P.A. Works shows premiering this summer?! Shocked

Narenare -Cheer for you!- caught my eye because 1.) I hope we have a better female cheerleading show than last time (I'm looking at you, Anima Yell) and 2.) most of the Bang Dream MyGO! peeps are involved in this so I expect some good girl drama with some yuri involved. Time to go all out, Yuniko Ayano! Surprised

My Deer Friend Nokotan has me a little worried because they memed the hell out of that one snippet of the OP song so it's going feel really awful if the show ends up being not funny at all. But I'm also still curious because Kanata Amane's (from Hololive) "mom" is the original manga-ka so there could be some merit to it.

There are also continuing shows such as SHY and Oshi no Ko I'll definitely keep on following. And speaking of Hololive, it's kind of neat we have 2 members doing the OP and ED songs respectively: Sora singing the OP for My Wife Has No Emotion, and Calli doing the ED for Suicide Squad Isekai.
MiniMarps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:15 am Reply with quote
Nokotan is either going to be one of the best or worst anime of the year. No in-between.

Beyond that, there's Oshi no Ko, naturally. I almost gave into my impatience and read the manga, but I’m somehow managing to come in (mostly) blind. Honestly still not 100% sure it'll even be worth it, but Season 1 built up enough good will with me to inspire cautious optimism.

As for a sleeper pick, I caught the first few chapters of the Dungeon People manga a while back, and really liked it. It's not going to become a breakout pop culture phenomenon or anything, but I think the sort of people who enjoy the sort of anime I enjoy will enjoy it.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:57 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 opined:

Quote:
I hope we have a better female cheerleading show than last time (I'm looking at you, Anima Yell)

Yeah, I made that same observation once. However, I still listen to the OP occasionally. Anime creators, someone somewhere will remember your work even from obscure, largely forgotten shows! Anima Yell's OP was the exact kind of super cheerful bubblegum JPop that's right up my alley. There were several of those at that time; Hitoribocchi no Marumaruseikatsu, Miss Vampire Who Lives in My Neighborhood, etc. I'm sure many think them terrible but I likes what I likes.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Another weird PV for Shikanoko Nokonoko Koshitantan (My Deer Friend Nokotan): https://youtu.be/kVDa05-U980 - turn on the closed captions with English auto-translation.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 4:47 am Reply with quote
Monogatari is my most anticipated but here's the 15 I'm choosing to watch. There's about 5 others I'll be watching after the season wraps up.

Oshi No Ko S2
Pseudo Harem
My Dear Friend Nokotan
Days with My Stepsister
Narenare: Cheer for You!
2.5 Dimensional Seduction
Love is Indivisible by Twins
Monogatari Series: Off/Monster Season
The Café Terrace and Its Goddesses S2
Shy S2
VTuber Legend
No Longer Allowed in Another World
Makeine: Too Many Losing Heroines!
Spice and Wolf: Merchant meets Wise Wolf
Alya Sometimes Hides her Feelings in Russian
JustMonika

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 4:56 am Reply with quote
utawoutau wrote:
Anyone else feel burned by Monogatari? I feel like the anime is released in of spurts across movies and tv in such a way that it feels like they almost don’t want me to watch it or understand it.

I watched all of it last year. I've been wanting to watch the series for years but was very hesitant because of the watch order and availability of all the anime content. There are a few things not available on Crunchyroll such as the last 3 episodes of Bakemonogatari, the 3 prequel movies and Owarimonogatari II. I had to use other means to view those, lol. I got all the information simply by going to the Monogatari subreddit and asking about it. There's a picture floating around that shows the watch order and that made it pretty straightforward. It was definitely the best decision I made because Monogatari series is now my favorite piece of Japanese media in existence. It's absolutely brilliant and I loved everything about it.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:00 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I'd say it's Fairy Tail for me. I'm in the same boat in that I understand and accept why people might not like it, but they are making more and I am ready for it.

I'm all fired up! Although I'm waiting to binge it. I mean a few months ago I binged all 328 episodes of the original series for the first time. It's the first traditional battle shounen that I actually enjoyed.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:02 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
utawoutau wrote:
Anyone else feel burned by Monogatari? I feel like the anime is released in of spurts across movies and tv in such a way that it feels like they almost don’t want me to watch it or understand it.

Owarimonogatari felt like the closing book to at least Araragi's high school life but sadly the teaser or promo don't show his adult life but instead repetitions of the school students. Monogatari really needs a reboot by portraying Araragi as a college student interacting with new people besides Senjougahara.

The recent book series is considered the family season. It follows Araragi and Hitagi's married life after college.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:06 am Reply with quote
tfwnoymir wrote:
I'm most interested in Shoshimin, Makeine and Narenare as of now, but I'm still doing my best to catch up with spring season, mostly on Eupho and GBC as a priority.

EDIT: Also I'm wondering whether there needs to be more Monogatari, isn't it basically done with Zoku? At least on Koyomi's front.

In the latest Monogatari novels, Araragi and Hitagi are married and have finished college. Monogatari could run as long as One Piece and I'd wholeheartedly welcome it because unlike One Piece, it's actually entertaining.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:12 am Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
darkchibi07 opined:

Quote:
I hope we have a better female cheerleading show than last time (I'm looking at you, Anima Yell)

Yeah, I made that same observation once. However, I still listen to the OP occasionally. Anime creators, someone somewhere will remember your work even from obscure, largely forgotten shows! Anima Yell's OP was the exact kind of super cheerful bubblegum JPop that's right up my alley. There were several of those at that time; Hitoribocchi no Marumaruseikatsu, Miss Vampire Who Lives in My Neighborhood, etc. I'm sure many think them terrible but I likes what I likes.

You'd definitely love RPG Real Estate then.
meruru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:11 am Reply with quote
I saw my anime list had Kimi ni Todoke listed this season, though it was under ona, but no one's mentioned it here. Is this not the third season of Kimi ni Todoke that they announced for Netflix?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:29 am Reply with quote
Gonzo_Deluxe wrote:
There seem to be more rom-coms than isekais. Maybe the tide has finally turned?

Looking from the "Narou adaptation" lens, there's six new ones this season:

• The Strongest Magician in the Demon Lord's Army was a Human
  • The Ossan Newbie Adventurer, Trained to Death by the Most Powerful Party, Became Invincible
  • Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian
  • I Parry Everything
  • A Nobody's Way Up to an Exploration Hero
  • Dahlia in Bloom

Isekai, ORE TUEEE non-isekai stock fantasy, school rom-com, ORE TUEEE non-isekai stock fantasy, dungeons appear in real world, shojo-flavored isekai. (Also, I somehow missed Ossan Newbie Adventurer until writing this post, so my bad.)

It's still pretty rare that real-world romances that start there get popular enough to get anime, like Roshidere, Angel Next Door, or the upcoming TenBin. But Kakuyomu is also a strong player now in the WN space (though going by Wikipedia's list, still a lot fewer anime than from Narou), and it's never been quite so isekai-heavy -- Higehiro and Super Cub were among the first stories animated, and My Stepmom's Daughter Is My Ex came the next year. They've got VTuber Legend this season, too.
MiniMarps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
darkchibi07 opined:

Quote:

Hey. Hitori Bocchi was a respectable 7/10.

Also, yes, you're the sort of people I'm talking about when I talk about the sort of people who may be interested in Dungeon People.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I might give the deer girl anime a try since it is directed by Masahiko Ohta who directed two of my favourite comedies, the first season of Minami-ke and Gabriel DropOut, but the only anime I can say for sure that I'll be watching is My Wife Has No Emotion since I already enjoy the manga and, yes, that even includes the Robotics Club chapters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4