• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Worst Anime of Spring 2024

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flash33

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Dead Dead Demon's I've not watched it myself but since an English dub of it is also airing the people understandably upset about the sub version's issues could always try watching the dub and see if they enjoy it then.

As for my worst I honestly can't think of any shows this season that'd fit that description. Sure there are some I've enjoyed more than others but none I would say was the worst or most disappointing. I have heard about the Slime S3 issues but while they do baffle me I've not watched it yet so I'd like to try to reserve my full judgement of it until I do if possible.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I think my choice of worst would have been THe Banished Hero Lives as He Pleases. It's not a good story, it looks the worst among the anime of this season, and it's another "hero doesn't want to save the world" anime that gives up the laid-back promise the moment the opening ends.

Like, for once, I want to see one of these anime commit to the bit where the banished hero actually starts a winery or something and just flatly ignores the demon lord and such. There is so much comedy you can build around that premise.
Troyen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Unnamed Memory was my biggest disappointment in a while. It's rare that I give up on a series partway through, as even bad stories can sometimes have redeeming moments, but this show just failed at telling a story.

The premise was interesting, the show teased a cast, but then never told us anything about them. Characters might be name-dropped with on-screen subtitles, show up later for 20 seconds of airtime, and then are relegated to background art if not forgotten. I have no idea who most of the antagonists are (with one exception), what they're doing, or why we should care. The antagonists of Slime 3's first cour got more development, and that was a low bar to clear. The plot itself was hard to follow, jumping from scene to scene abruptly, leaving it to the viewer to guess that weeks have actually just passed since that sudden jump cut. The creators seem to assume that everyone watching has seen fantasy stories before and can fill in a vague outline of events by assuming the missing parts are what we'd see in other stories.

I did cave and read the manga and almost all those issues are with the anime adaption. While it's technically true that the anime is "only" skipping half the chapters of the manga/LN, those chapters are literally all the ones with exposition, character development, character motivations, and the romantic relationship. Why bother making a fantasy romance anime if you don't even want to include the romance?

At least it had my favorite ED song of the season.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Demon Slayer is making me a real weirdo this season. I typically prefer a faster pace, even to the point where it could be hard for the viewer to keep up. But I've honestly enjoyed these episodes - a series of good character moments before what I assume to be the biggest battle.

It's weird, usually I figure perhaps I'm impatient, and then for stuff like this and Yashahime or whatever, I don't get why everyone else is so impatient.

The botched, confusing release of Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction with no apparent fix in sight is one of the worst things to happen this season, seemingly only overshadowed by the lack of a Girls Band Cry release.

There's movies, OK, but we're not getting those we're getting a TV show version, OK fair enough, there's an Episode 0 bookend format that wasn't in the manga which alters the experience by spoiling later events, errrr OK guess I'll skip that, there's a dub with translated onscreen text but oops if you want to want to watch it subbed it's actually dubtitled and also DOESN'T HAVE that onscreen text translated uuuuggghhhhh
MartinWisse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:40 pm Reply with quote
The New Gate is my most disappointing series of the season because the source material, or at least the manga version, was so good. The anime version got the skeleton of the plot and story right but utterly failed the execution, botched the character designs and made big, emotional moments fall entirely flat because they were barely animated.

Compare it with e.g. |Level 2 Chara Cheat where the source material was of a similar or even a bit lower level of quality but which got an adapation that did care about it, did put some effort in.

Frustrating.
MiniMarps

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I just don't get how they figured there wouldn't be any demand for Girls Band Cry, after the latest entry into the veeery similar Bang Dream franchise won some publications' Anime of the Year last year. Toei, to me, seems like a company that is cripplingly behind on the times, thinking it's still 2006 and the only anime that sell are shonen action series.
The_Daytona_500

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Of the titles mentioned by the reviewers, The New Gate is a legitimate contender for worst title of the season (and my #2 pick for this "honor") for all the reasons Richard mentioned, Unnamed Memory is easily the most disappointing (and my #3 pick), Demon Slayer was the most boring, and Slime does deserve special mention for spending literally half or more of the season showing the characters in meetings.

However, one series tops (bottoms?) them all. You can't truly say you've watched the worst of the season if you haven't watched The Banished Former Hero Lives As He Pleases. Rarely have I seen a series so miserably fail at absolutely everything it tried to do, whether technically or in storytelling or characterization senses. Its only positive merit is having one of the season's best EDs.

EDIT:
The_Daytona_500 wrote:
Imagine having anything but Yuru Camp last in a season that contains Yuru Camp. Though Yaiba gave it a serious run for it's money

This one baffles me. I can understand how some may not get into YuruCamp, but it is its own thing and is as delightful as ever at doing what it does.

Yuru Camp has 2 problems. Other than Rin and to a lesser degree Nadeshiko, this show's entire main cast is as insufferable as Zenitsu is in Yaiba. I could tolerate the first season when Rin and Nadeshiko had almost the entire screentime, but from S2 it's been painful. The other problem is this show is about camping, the most boring thing in existence. To make a show with this topic even remotely interesting, you need a very strong cast, so lacking that, the show is a recipe for disaster.
TsukinoSpoon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Demon Slayer has been horribly painful for me ever since the Red Light District arc, so I'm glad to see it on this list. I get that money means more to executives than almost anything else, but the series really should've been split into three, 25 or so episode seasons rather than adapting every arc post-Mugen train as its own yearly story. The pacing is just awful and it really brings the entire series down.

Last edited by TsukinoSpoon on Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Flash33 wrote:
Regarding Dead Dead Demon's I've not watched it myself but since an English dub of it is also airing the people understandably upset about the sub version's issues could always try watching the dub and see if they enjoy it then.

From what I understand(and I could very well be mistaken), all text/messages/signs/etc in the dub version is just not translated at all?
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about worst, but I can voice most dissapointing so far...

Slime has become boring. Overlord does a better job of the politicking by having Ainz and the main cast actively going out there doing undercover work. Rimuru is a softy demon lord who just lols his way about while Raphael and everyone else do things. Even Tsukimichi is more entertaining because it's lead struggles with teaching and being a merchant.

Demon Slayer does seem to be spinning it wheels and absolutely nothing interesting has happened, but it could still pull a rabbit out of it's hat if the next episode onward delivers a lot of action and killing and "oh shit!" moments.

I get the Girls Band Cry joke, but, eh, this column shouldn't be the place for that outside of a drop mention in passing, or mention it in the best category. But with Sound Euphonium doing stellar work, which I'm sure is better than GBC in every department, means the best meritocratic girls band still won.
Nipasu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:55 pm Reply with quote
MiniMarps wrote:
I just don't get how they figured there wouldn't be any demand for Girls Band Cry, after the latest entry into the veeery similar Bang Dream franchise won some publications' Anime of the Year last year.

If Toei had no plans to distribute it in the West, why license it to France?

And why would their USA YouTube account upload an English sub trailer? Why bother promoting a show that wasn't going to be licensed for English speakers?

Quote:
Toei, to me, seems like a company that is cripplingly behind on the times, thinking it's still 2006 and the only anime that sell are shonen action series.

Or maybe the American companies (especially those focused solely on anime) don't want to license the non-Shonen content? Because looking at Toei's shoujo catalog, many shows were licensed to Latin America and Europe. Even by the late 2000s, PPGZ and Futari Wa Pretty Cure were being dubbed in Canada (PPGZ only getting released in Southeast Asia).

Beyond that, how many of Toei's shows---specifically shoujo shows for girls---were released in the USA? If Toei was such a money-hungry conglomerate, why purposely hold back their shoujo titles for Americans but allow them to be licensed to the rest of the Western world? Why would they choose to re-license One Piece and DBZ (and later Sailor Moon in 2014) but not Doremi or a majority of the Pretty Cure content for Americans? (I think Nadja was dubbed by Winkler's Productions?)

And if this is all Toei's doing. then explain why other anime titles aimed at the same demographic have seen even less shows during the same timeframe---and no, I don't blame Toei for not releasing Mermaids Melody's dub.

Now that I got that out of my way, my least favorite show this season was Gods' Games We Play. The fanservice felt weird, like it was shoehorned in. And the ending confused me a bit. spoiler[(Did Fei ever find his 'big sis'?)]

edit: Forgot to add Re:Monster. It made me so uncomfortable, I dropped it after two episodes.

Last edited by Nipasu on Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Flash33 wrote:

From what I understand(and I could very well be mistaken), all text/messages/signs/etc in the dub version is just not translated at all?

There’s several problems. The dub, while generally good, has taken a few liberties to tone down some of the more problematic behaviours, the teacher in particular. The subs are not actually subtitles, but are dubtitles, AND the are missing the extra text/messages/signs from the dub.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:38 pm Reply with quote
This worst of batch was an improvement over last season's where virtually every reviewer didn't bother watching a truly bad show so they had to pick whichever good show they liked least. Progress! Now, if we can convince some remaining reviewers that the "worst of" shouldn't just to be an excuse to whine about a show that hasn't been licensed, we'll practically be there in the realm of Truth in Advertising.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Flash33 wrote:

The opposite: the text/message/signs/etc. are translated and baked into the video in the dub version, but left completely untranslated in the sub version. And the subs are the same as the dub, reportedly including timing (I'm watching the dub myself), which makes for a janky experience.
pi8you

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Demon Snoozer would have taken it for me this season, if not for the truly baffling Unnamed Memory, as others have lamented. It had witches! It had an adult cast! It was a non-isekai fantasy romance! And somehow they gave us the driest possible speedrun through a bunch of plot points, then went one episode beyond a 'good' ending point to reset it all and declare another season was forthcoming, somehow.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6