• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
I'm watching the Brazillian Portuguese sub, and amusingly, the translation is spot on - definitely not a dubtitle and the text is also subbed. I find it interesting because I always thought most Crunchyroll shows were translated from the English version rather than the original.

As I said before, Crunchyroll's Brazilian Portuguese subs for this show really seem to me like they were translated from English (lots of stiffness and awkward phrasing I usually don't find in a first-hand translation from Japanese), which would mean there are decent English sub scripts that Crunchyroll simply isn't being allowed to use in its streams.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:20 am Reply with quote
EPISODE 4 Onscreen Text

06:35 (spoiler[notice board])

spoiler[
Yesterday's Traffic Accidents (Tokyo Metropolitan Area)
Deaths: 0
Injuries: 127

Yesterday's Battle (Tokyo Metropolitan Area)
Deaths: 1
Injuries: 12
]

14:50 (spoiler[tweets])

spoiler[
yuminba: Finally arrived at Ueno. Tokyo really is a big city! But just thinking about today's entrance exam makes my stomach hurt lol. Ugh...

puniko: Me too lol. But we'll pass, feel better, and go to Gin-shama Arena in March!

yuminba: Yeah! Let's meet there! As fellow shameful and lonely Gin-shama fans, let's both do our best on the exam!

puniko: Yeah, lol, good luck!
]

15:10 (spoiler[new tweet])

spoiler[
yuminba: I left the bag with my exam admission ticket behind on the train... I won't make it in time for the exam... This is awful...
]

15:25 (spoiler[text messages])

spoiler[
puniko: Wait, are you okay!?

yuminba: I just reported the lost item to station staff, now I'm at a coffee shop.

puniko: Coffee shop!? Where? Do you have your purse!?

yuminba: I have my purse and phone... The place is near Shinjuku west exit, called Mokele.
]
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:07 am Reply with quote
From the latest messages I guess the subs problem hasn't been fixed yet? Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:

The subs are definitely still kind of 'loose' translations, and they never seem to translate on-screen signs, images of phones, etc, only the script itself.

Is there any expectation it will be 'fixed', though? We're several episodes in now; I just figured this is what we're getting.
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:52 am Reply with quote
I should not have started with episode 0
Glordit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:

Oh, it's fixed, if you watch the English dub.

Top is from the EN dub. Bottom is from the JP dub. Notice the subtitles are off. All the episode titles and locales have been edited into English, while everything else is subtitled on the EN dub, the JP dub is left as is.

Netero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:59 pm Reply with quote
For untranslated text I just use the Android Google Translate app, it's pretty good at reading things straight from the screen. Of course it's MTL, but better than nothing.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't watch anime (or any other media) dubbed though, only in their original language. ^^'
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:03 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Is there any expectation it will be 'fixed', though? We're several episodes in now; I just figured this is what we're getting.

It sure seems like it.

How often does Crunchyroll go back and fix broken or erroneous stuff like this? They did it for The Yuzuki Family's Four Sons when the bad subtitles kicked up a big thing, but with this situation going so long for DDDDDDDD, I'm assuming they're just stuck with what they've got.

On a similar note, I was watching The Tower of Druaga recently and they have a DVD bonus episode in place of the second season's actual first episode, mislabeled with its title. I'm actually glad that bonus episode is there because it's great, but it's absurd to be missing an entire episode like that, and it's been that way since it was readded to the service it seems.

I suppose I wonder if their hands are completely tied in these situations and they have to use what they're given, or if they could do something but...don't, for whatever reason.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:33 am Reply with quote
EPISODE 5 Onscreen Text

09:18 (spoiler[note])

spoiler[
To Kadode

Good work at summer school. I have another interview today so I'll be late. Please microwave the food in the fridge and eat it.

From Mom
]

16:33 (spoiler[bulletin board site])

spoiler[
Ichigo-hime: That transfer student doesn't talk at all. So creepy. Wish she wouldn't come to school.

Rua: Are the boys being useless? Hey you boys, show us what you can do.

Pelican: She stared at me too today. I didn't even do anything. Scary.
]

17:38 (spoiler[manga])

spoiler[
Isobeyan: If you use this, you'll be filled with self-confidence, and feel like you're a lord.

Girl: No way... like I'd believe that.

Isobeyan: Well, if you don't believe me, at least try it once.
]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3