• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Devil is a Part-Timer Season 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:05 am Reply with quote
I was under the impression that the angels were imposters of some sort and not actual angels, though I can't remember exactly why I thought that. Otherwise I was as lost as everyone else. But that's par for the course for me, so I guess it's nice to have company for once. Very Happy
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I loved Season one of this series, I thought season 2 was decent but I just couldnt finish season 3. The show seems to have lost what made it enjoyable. Granted Im a anime only person when it comes to this show so maybe im missing something by not knowing the source.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, no, not really. The novels are just as mediocre as these seasons were
AdamW
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:14 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I was under the impression that the angels were imposters of some sort and not actual angels, though I can't remember exactly why I thought that. Otherwise I was as lost as everyone else. But that's par for the course for me, so I guess it's nice to have company for once. Very Happy

You thought that because one of the good guys (I forget which, my brain had melted into a small puddle of goo by that point) just yells it out in the middle of the episode, and everyone goes "oh, I guess that must be true then". Like, they just say "oh they're not angels, just regular humans who got strong and grew wings!" and it's like...uh...okay? Like, how did they grow wings exactly? What's that got to do with anything? How does this gel with every previous episode of this show, which totally treated angels like they were a part of the lore that everybody agreed with?

Man, this show got bad dumb in a hurry.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:16 am Reply with quote
^ The character makes the connection that since Demons can just become like humans on Earth, maybe angels can too, in an earlier episode. They don't explore this idea further immediately though (this is extremely common in this series)
AdamW
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:02 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
^ The character makes the connection that since Demons can just become like humans on Earth, maybe angels can too, in an earlier episode. They don't explore this idea further immediately though (this is extremely common in this series)

Still, "becoming like humans on earth" isn't the same thing as just being humans, is it? I'd have to go back and watch again to see if maybe the translation of the line in the final episode wasn't the greatest, or something, but I would prefer not to make my brain any gooier so I probably won't Very Happy
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:04 pm Reply with quote
The contexts are different, the line I mentioned is speculation from a character in-universe while the one you're mentioning is what she says to convince an army that the angels are actually something in disguise trying to trick them. The latter doesn't necessarily have to be the truth or even what she believed in, it's just something to get people on her side
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3