• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Singer Maon Kurosaki Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:49 pm Reply with quote
First, I would like to say that I understand that it has been a month since the article was posted, but I have seen other users reply to month old articles and I even reported them, but no mod removed them. Heck, the last time I reported it, someone removed the warning up top to allow the post to stay, so I do hope that a mod allows me to pay my respects because this is important to me... so much so that once I saw it, I haven't been on ANN in over a month (then only posted for specific reasons). Something in me died the moment I saw this news. I just need to say what I have to say.

In order to do this, I have to speak from my experience that day.

I was on ANN when the news was posted. In fact, I was on ANN when I saw Shozo Iizuka and Mitsuo Senda pass away articles shortly before (My last 2 posts were those articles). I said to myself "We just had 2 straight death articles then that means 1 more death article is coming". I knew 1 more article was coming, but I expected it to be an older person that's 70 or 80. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect it to be Maon Kurosaki of all people. The shock that I saw from that made me click off the site so quickly and I had to tell myself that I didn't really see that. Then I saw the news elsewhere and it just hit me hardest. After the passing of Kazuki Takahashi and Jason David Frank (2 people that I loved so much due to their impact on me) starting from last summer, this one was just too soon. It was the 3rd passing... the one to finally take me out. I haven't been on ANN in over a month since and I was on ANN every day prior. It has been over a month and I still have this void in stomach. I don't know how to explain it, but I've just been different since. And I know why... because I had great expectations for her in the future and it was now over. I don't have any interest to come to ANN anymore. Probably because I know that if do, I will have to come to this article and accept this fact, which is why I'm posting this.

Just days before this news, I saw that ROOKiE's IS PUNK'D returned from hiatus. This made me remember ALTIMA was hiatus. Maon is the singer of ALTIMA. They've been on hiatus for years. I still held out hope they would make new songs together because they are bangers. But now that's now.

This next one is definitely the reason I'm hurt so much. As I stated before, I had great expectations for the future. Mami Kawada was chosen singer for the Index series. She performed all of the OP songs. After the Index movie in 2013, Mami retired from singing in 2016. The issue wasn't her retirement. It was the fact that fans were waiting for Index III, which would be the 1st final finale of the story. They took so long to release it that Mami had already retired so we missed out on what her song would have been for that. Now, because Index III had been announced and Mami was retired, someone new had to take over singing the OP songs for Index. I correctly predicted that Maon would succeed Mami since she performed the ED songs of Index II (My other prediction was that Maon would return just for Index; she did by doing the lyrics of the 1st OP). It felt like a passing of the torch. Not just that, but because they are typically in the same anime together (along with KOTOKO), which made it easy to predict. Not only did Maon perform the OP song "GRAVITATION", but Mami came back to do the lyrics. You could just tell it was a Mami song, but with Maon doing the vocals and Maon slayed. Now for OP 2, I never saw this one coming. I knew it would be great because it's Maon and it had to be for the importance of the story, but this was just mind blowing and jaw dropping. Maon ascended to another level with "ROAR". Mami didn't write the lyrics this time. She left the future of Index to Maon. It was Maon doing the lyrics and vocals. Maon's voice with the visuals of the OP were such a perfect combination. It was mind blowing and jaw dropping. This was an example of a perfect OP. Maon proved that the future of Index was in good hands and I couldn't wait to see her ascend to even greater heights to top ROAR starting with Index IV. But now that's over. Because Maon is no longer with us. But before her passing, once again... they took forever to do another season. III ended in April 2019. IV should have been out by 2022. We missed out on Mami performing ofr Index III and we missed out on Maon performing for IV (should it ever be announced). Every hope and wish you had prior no longer matters now because its over. Just like that. That incompleteness will never go away and that's why this passing is affecting me the way it is.

I was there when Maon debuted her album in Highschool of the Dead. Then she followed that with her ED songs in Index II. Then her debut with ALTIMA, which was a banger! And so much more. A painful fact from this is that Maon performed the OP of Dangan Ronpa 3 Mirai-hen with TRUSTRICK. One of the members of TRUSTRICK is Sayaka Kanda (vocals). Sayaka passed away in 2021. Both singers are no longer with us. Now the fact is that there are a few anime that I have in my backlog that I haven't watched yet with Maon performing the songs such as the new Grisaia series for example. It is going to be tough as heck hearing that. I haven't even gone back to listen to her past songs yet that I've already heard because I just can't handle it yet.

Lastly, I truly hope her family and friends can get through this. I don't even know her personally but it has affected me greatly. Now that I finally had the strength to type this out, I hope that I can move forward. Thank you Maon for impacting my life in a such a great way. You will be missed.

RIP
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3