• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer Anime's Swordsmith Village Arc Previewed in Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandomCommenter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Why am I even wasting time responding is beyond me, I guess I'm just bored.

Quote:
And only then, you just repeated what I just said. The per volume basis for One Piece is 4.8 million per volume because it evens out as the number of sales per volume of any manga decrease with time, as not everyone will continuing collecting more and more volumes as time go on (exceptions being, for example, final volumes like Kimetsu's, which included 14 more pages for the final chapter and 25 pages worth of extras, and the limited volumes coming with figures, and those sell like water, which could have sld more than previous volumes because of it). The overall average of sales do not correspond to the number of previously sold volumes at all.

You can just do the math and see that while DS #23 is the best selling volume, every volume is close to the same number, which is higher than OP's best selling volume. We know OP's backlog doesn't do particularly well nowadays. We know DS' backlog is still doing far better than OP's. It's not like OP is ever catching up in Japan.

Quote:
That's a moot point. Kimetsu is shorter, ended and had a spike in sales in one single swoop. One Piece had a boost in sales because of backlogging interest during the timeskip, which had a month hiatus in between, and several people decided to catch up. Kimetsu doesn't necessarily break any One Piece numbers just because it sold 23 boosted volumes in massive numbers at once, it just means it broke the record of numbers sold in a year for a single manga series, understandably so.

We know for a fact there is no OP volume even remotely close to any KnY volume's LTD since 2008, we know for a fact no OP volume has even touched 5M ltd since 2008. There is an oricon article for this somewhere, but some simple math would frankly tell you as much. Hell, OP's highest LTD in the oricon era hasn't even made a top500 yearly since 2012 (which, again, is verifiable, as shoseki provides estimations), meaning it was below 159k in that year, and it's only gotten worse since then; so at best you're in the low 4M range. At best.

Quote:
One, it just confirms my point, it has not surpassed One Piece in number of sales, neither in Japan

No shit? It wouldn't have to sell more than OP on a per volume basis to do so, it would have to sell 5 times as much as it. OP is still a colossal series, there is no way the gap could ever possibly be that wide that DS could beat it with 23 volumes to 100.

Quote:
Two, the 150 million are a cumulative total, it includes digital and worldwide numbers, much like the One Piece numbers around that same time (also, for the both of them, that doesn't even mean actually sold numbers when talking about physical copies, just number printed and in circulation):

https://nendai-ryuukou.com/article/058.html (a tad bit outdated, but just to serve as an example of when it Kimetsu got announced to have circulated a cumulative amount of 120 million, it's right there with the announced worldwide number for OP.)
https://natalie.mu/comic/news/416305 (case in point, explicitly stated, "累計" 1億5000万部)

That isn't how it works, worldwide numbers are explicitly stated, cumulative does not mean worldwide.
OP articles will all mention something along the lines of 。全世界での累計発行部数は4億9000万部を突破している。(the cumulative circulation worldwide, not simply cumulative).

Quote:
Three, considering that One Piece is the best selling manga of all time and only has 80 million copies sold compared to how well it does in Japan, you can make a wild guess of the percentage Kimetsu sold worldwide from that (and it's not like One Piece is an exception, take a look at all the best sellers in the list, the worldwide sales are usually not as big as in Japan, safe for some very specific manga titles, like for example WataMote).

First of all, it was 90 at the time, and second, you don't make guesses based on these. Obviously no one ever said Kimetsu sold as much RoW as in Japan.

Quote:
The latest report in for the sales of all volumes of Kimetsu in the US alone is 2.259.000 units sold in total as of 2022 at best (report regarding total 2021 sales is 1,586,009, that plus the sum of the previous 2 years get you the number), and it wasn't even a best seller (MHA had higher numbers).
https://www.comicsbeat.com/looking-at-npd-bookscan-2021-and-its-a-doozy/ (check out the sales for 2019 and 2020 in this same site, under Gotouge).

It was the best seller for 2022 if you break down the boxset - which will count as one single sku under NPD, but contains 23 of them.
See
https://twitter.com/RoukHein/status/1511824955759120390

Not going to make this any longer than it has to be since being the best seller in 2022 is beyond the point; we know it had 4M circ for viz as the number was stated by viz themselves ( https://screenrant.com/manga-more-popular-marvel-viz-comics/), and this was in early june. Since then it released a massive boxset, a best selling gaiden (currently the #1 volume for 2022 in the US), and has continued doing well. It'd be fairly easy to put it well over that 4M mark, but again, not the point. We know it does better in france than it does in the US, we know it has 200k first print in italy (https://www.drcommodore.it/2021/09/07/demon-slayer-tiratura-italia/), we know 1M in thailand, that it was dominating strong markets like SK, and so on and so forth.

If you really want to play that game it's not very hard at all to estimate 20M+ RoW, but again, that was not the point. I merely said that if you are to compare a japanese number, you should be doing so with a japanese number, which is, 400M, not 490M.

Quote:
The previous volumes of the One Piece manga vastly surpass that much even in the new averages per volume including all the ever decreasing 100 volumes sales, what even is the point you are trying to make?

The averages...don't pass this number? Did you fail math classes?

Quote:

Factually not possible? What the hell are you talking about? LOL

[...]

It should be more than clear that including the major boost in sales in 2011 (which naturally also adds a lot to volume 1-23 sales), it's more than safe to say that, given the amount of volumes sold per volume and their nature to escalate up every volume sales going backwards, that One Piece average volume sales for 1-23 has long been higher than Kimetsu's, the sole difference is that Kimetsu ended and boosted its sales all in one go, while One Piece boosted them through backlog over 20 years of big and small boost periodic boosts. I'm not even counting the vast number of volumes One Piece has in comparison to it, just the first 23.

This is the problem with the whole convo, you're not verifying anything, you just assume assume assume.

So we know OP has 400M in Japan. Let's start from here. Thankfully comicdata has a very convenient first print record for one piece we can use to estimate stuff.

http://comicdata.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-5.html#ONE%20PIECE

First of all, the peak first print, 4.05M for 67. Let's start by assumption that the volumes prior to this will have atleast this much in print (it is your argument, after all). Then let's estimate up to 98, the volume with which 400M japan was given. This only goes up to 92, and I know recent print has gone down to 3M flat, but I don't remember exactly with which volume, so I will simply estimate every volume from 93 onwards as 3M flat; you should be happy, though, this only helps you out here.

So, what we have here is:
4.05M for 1 vol (67)
4M for 9 vols (68-76)
3.8M for 3 vols (77-79)
3.6M for 8 vols (80-87)
3.3M for 3 vols (88-90)
3.2M for 2 vols (91-92)
3M for 6 vols (93-98)

So this gives us 114,550,000 for volumes 67-98; now let's apply your assumption that previous OP volumes would be atleast matching the highest first print with their total print: this gives us 267M for volumes 1-66, or a 381M total.

Problem: we only have 18.5 spare millions in our count here, that's not nearly enough for our 1-23 volumes to be matching the 6.5M jp average from DS.

Maybe if I try saying they are averaging 3.5M million instead, then seeing what we can add to volumes 1-23 only...let's see!

With 231M from volumes 1-66, or a 345.5M total, we have...54.5M total. That's still short of matching what we need, though, which is a 57M.

These are pretty much best case scenarios I'm trying to make for you, by giving these volumes the benefit of the doubt that only the first 23 would somehow be higher than all the rest, and it still doesn't actually work out. A reality scenario would be much less favorable since you obviously wouldn't get to make the assumption that 1-23 are somehow 6.5M and then it drops down to 3.5M for 24. I doubt you're even following the reasoning, anyway.

You could probably play with the spare a while to bog it down to a number that suits your narrative, but it's not hard to see that the only volumes which might, at best, match DS' average are the very first ones, it's unrealistic to try to get a 1-23 total matching that of DS. Even if you went and added digital here (which, FYI, isn't included in OP's number), it still wouldn't be of much use since we know OP's digital is below kingdom's, placing it somewhere in the low 10Ms.

Quote:
The total sales documented include digital sales, as previously stated. They are already there, and even disconsidering One Piece's digital sales ever since 2010 if you are going just for the Oricon numbers for the boosts (which only include physical, and is from where you are getting your numbers for both), One Piece has been at least top 2 up to recently from 2010-2018 in digital manga sales. You are comparing 3 years of highly boosted sales to 25 years of progressively higher sales, keep in mind the details, and try searching for the digital sales for One Piece in the previous years before spouting bullcrap (big thing that Kimetsu was on top for a year in digital sales, when One Piece is either in second or first every year before, and third in that very same year).

Digital sales aren't included in oricon numbers. Digital sales aren't included in OP's circulation number either, as it doesn't state [including digital] unlike DS'.
I don't think you get it: we have a literal list from shueisha stating their all-time top 5best selling series in digital from last year. There is no need to search for other years whatsoever.

spoiler[[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eyh3LF2WUAEh4FH?format=png&name=900x900[/img]]

Obviously the only reason I even brought up digital to begin with was to give a ballpark of where OP's digital sales would be in case you wanted to bring them up, but you didn't even know the OP number didn't include them to begin with, so why am I even arguing here?

Didn't think I'd waste my time writing a WoT to bullshit on a freaking ann news section of all things, and to such a misinformed post of all things too, but worry not, I won't make the same mistake again with whatever BS you type in response to this.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:40 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
JonDoe wrote:

What rock have you been living under if you seriously have to ask if Demon Slayer ended because of bad sales? The manga sold 150 million copies. It's monumental success has been very well documented and everything.

Like "The Not So Chosen One" guy said earlier. I also hope you're just a troll, rather than someone who is just horribly out of touch with reality.

It looks like you are a troll. I did not read the manga and did not watch the anime, so I asked a question with options being either poor sales or the author's intent, and commentators who are not trolls replied sanely.

You don't need to have read the manga or watch the anime to have heard about Demon Slayer's phenomenal success. In the same way I don't need to watch the Jujutsu Kaisen anime or read the manga it's based on to know that Jujutsu Kaisen has been selling extremely well. So having to ask if Demon Slayer ended because of poor sales makes you sound like someone who has been stuck living in a cave. So you could see how someone could mistake you for a troll for asking such a dumb question.
Unculturedman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:09 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Mushrinku wrote:
If you believe kaguya wasn't invented on the spot at the end of naruto I'm afraid you're extremely delusional.

Are you basing this assertion on opinion or fact cause howeever you look at it anyone can easily make the same argument that Madara being revealed as the true mastermind behind Akatsuki was also an asspull.

Cause as I remember when reading part 1 everyone just assumed Orochimaru would be the final boss and then by part 2 Pain….and then here comes Obito who was following Madara’s plan which he co-opted as his own even going so far as to pretend to be Madara. And then it’s revealed this was all actually Kaguya’s plan but with an unforeseen aspect. No one but her and Zetsu truly knew about.

It is debatable yes whether or not Kishimoto always intended to physically introduce Kaguya in the series and where he ultimately did. But again she didn’t just get made up on the spot in the midst of the final arc nor was she introduced because Kishimoto needed a way out of the situation with Madara (which I need to reiterate) makes zero sense.

KarlFranz wrote:

How can you plan out a story and forget what your story even about in the first place?

Naruto’s story at it’s base is about an obnoxious, loud mouth, and looked down upon orphan wanting to earn the respect of his peers and become the leader of his village….did Naruto ultimately not accomplish said goal at the end of the series?

Yes the path there was messy, incoherent, and involved some plot holes, retcons, and other questionable writing aspects but that does wind up happening in the end doesn’t it.

This. In no way did the series ever betray its core themes even towards the end. It was always about loneliness, ostracism, war, severe trauma and its impact on child psychology, the importance of relationships, and ideological conflict. Naruto is my favorite story of all time. For a very long running shonen, it was fairly coherent although there were many issues along the way. I do really think the story, characters and themes are heavily misunderstood by most and it’s much better than most people give it credit for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3