• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: BL Manga Café Closes Due to Safety Concerns Around Male Non-Customers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:30 am Reply with quote
This kind of things pops up far more often than people might think due to the odd misconception that discriminatory laws only apply to certain groups and not everyone. What the intentions of these men were: gay men into BL, straight guys looking to pick up chicks, or homeless people looking for shelter, isn't really relevant to the issue. The issue is unless it's a space of expected privacy, such as a bathroom or dressing room, refusing service to people based on their gender is illegal and violates non-discriminatory laws. I'm speaking from an American point of view, but I assume Japan has similar non-discriminatory laws given this instance and that other recent article about White Fox refusing to hire men leading to controversy. It would be impossible for this cafe to refuse service to men, so the only real option would be to shut down entirely if it truly bothered them that much that men were showing up. Although if they were homeless/loiterers, I imagine the police could be called to file a complaint and have them removed.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:33 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

Japan is full of businesses that are women-only. I don't think I've ever heard of a men-only business.

Some capsule hotels, golf clubs, hostels, and saunas, to name four.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:39 pm Reply with quote
There's so little information in the article that reacting strongly in any way to this feels more like a Rorschach test than anything. Surprised
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:06 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
There's so little information in the article that reacting strongly in any way to this feels more like a Rorschach test than anything. Surprised

Well said.
Kokujin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:38 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

NGL Best comment on this topic.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Sorraffy wrote:
Kokujin wrote:

because I don’t want to be around men who live their lives being sorry for something they didn’t do

What train of thought are you even on? Sorry for something they didn't do? What comment are you even referencing?

They're not referring to any specific comment. They're... repeating misogynistic propaganda to put it as kindly and as least likely to get me moderated as possible. It's a pretty common theme in their posts.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:22 pm Reply with quote
TFW objectifying gay men is ruined by real gay men.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

'Sectioning' is somewhat different matter, that is pretty common in the West too, baths would be an obvious example....

A federal contract I signed in 2020 specifically mentioned by signing the contract you were affirming your business does not have restrooms that prohibit any gender/biological sex from using them.
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:05 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Banken wrote:

Japan is full of businesses that are women-only. I don't think I've ever heard of a men-only business.

Fair point on capsule hotels. Usually any place with a sauna has one for both, but I have heard of hot spring that only have a men’s sauna.

Have never heard of a men’s only golf club.

Hostels, sure, they might cater for one gender or another.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:02 am Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
...I'm speaking from an American point of view, but I assume Japan has similar non-discriminatory laws given this instance and that other recent article about White Fox refusing to hire men leading to controversy.

It is sad to say though, that "Japan has no law prohibiting racial, ethnic, or religious discrimination, or discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity. Japan does not have a national human rights institution." Sad

That's one of the big reasons you could say that they are 'late bloomers'... :/

@NeverConvex well said indeed. We need more information.

Deleted a troll post that is also a non-sequitor argument that reeks of ignorance to the lived realities of women. Sadly, had to also delete the consecutive posts.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:02 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
Banken wrote:

Fair point on capsule hotels. Usually any place with a sauna has one for both, but I have heard of hot spring that only have a men’s sauna.

Have never heard of a men’s only golf club.

Hostels, sure, they might cater for one gender or another.

Not only did men-only golf clubs exist in Japan and other countries (and still do), but one drew international attention when it was selected to host golf during the Tokyo Olympics, for both men and women. Just before the Olympics, the club decided to allow women to become full members.

https://golf.com/lifestyle/celebrities/tokyo-olympic-golf-venue-finally-admits-women-members/
Sabruness

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:23 am Reply with quote
This.... what little is mentioned in the article about the reasons is extremely vague and does raise a lot of questions (though i find it interesting that some commenters jumped straight to 'all men are bad' style comments) which obviously arent going to get answered any time soon.

As someone mentioned earlier, exactly what sort of 'cafe' the business was is unclear and thus the moral aspects and value of whether it was women-only for a very good reason or if it was just a borderline discriminatory policy (borderline because as someone else mentioned earlier Japan doesnt actually have anti-discrimination legislation) can only be speculated at.

Agreed that the few circumstances mentioned definitely seem extremely odd and i could understand the underlying reasoning on why they decided to close, on the other hand it seems quite odd that such a 'last resort' style option ended up being their first(?) choice. As someone else posited, why did they not consult the police on the issue but that, again, can only be speculated due to lack of information.

TL;DR: Odd case only really understandable if the large amount of unknown information was known. could be good reasons, could be bad. some commenters seem to jump quickly to 'all men are bad' style arguments and points which, to me, is offensive and sexist.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:28 am Reply with quote
Sabruness wrote:
(though i find it interesting that some commenters jumped straight to 'all men are bad' style comments) which obviously arent going to get answered any time soon

Saying 'plenty of men are bad', is not the same as saying all men are bad. As men, we all know there are tons of boys and men out there, that can't control themselves when it comes to girls and women. The bad boys, bad men, and the evil men just ruin things for the rest of us. So I have no problem with girls and women having sanctuaries from men. Perhaps if more boys and men stood up for girls and women at school, at parties, at work, and at clubs, we wouldn't need to be talking about this.
i
Sabruness wrote:
Agreed that the few circumstances mentioned definitely seem extremely odd and i could understand the underlying reasoning on why they decided to close, on the other hand it seems quite odd that such a 'last resort' style option ended up being their first(?) choice. As someone else posited, why did they not consult the police on the issue but that, again, can only be speculated due to lack of information.

Because they would be wasting the police's time. It is not a crime if women think they were creepy.. They closed because they couldn't create a comfortable and safe environment for their target demographic. Also, perhaps they didn't have the means or cash to hire additional personnel to forcibly ensure that environment.

Sabruness wrote:
some commenters seem to jump quickly to 'all men are bad' style arguments and points which, to me, is offensive and sexist.

Yes it is unfair, but it is not offensive or sexist. We have to acknowledge the reality we live in. Yes it is unfair to men, but what girls and women are subjected to every day, is horribly more unfair than what the rest of us men have to deal with.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:58 am Reply with quote
Everything else aside, this...

Sabruness wrote:
(though i find it interesting that some commenters jumped straight to 'all men are bad' style comments)

This is kind of funny, considering that this entire thread got started by someone with a freshly registered user account (that doesn't seem to have been used ever since) posting a "but what about men's rights!" concern trolling... which was then picked up and continued by others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3