• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Anime Content Heads to Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:48 am Reply with quote
Good. No one needs to deal with Funi's trash player anymore. It amazing how after all these years,they never improved it.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:52 am Reply with quote
Well I guess I'll just note down my queue from Funi and cancel my subscription. I was expecting Funimation to end up being the surviving brand in this deal, so that's surprising.

I hope this doesn't spell the end for Sentai/Hidive though, I'd like for there to be some competition in the market
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:53 am Reply with quote
So they say it's ok to just immediately cancel your Funi subscription, but from what I can tell most if not all of the currently airing shows like Sasaki and Miyano and Tribe Nine are not available on CR (despite that seeming like it should be the first priority). Makes me wonder if they're not actually going to bring this season to CR until it's actually over, to squeeze that little bit of money out of people.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:56 am Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
So they say it's ok to just immediately cancel your Funi subscription, but from what I can tell most if not all of the currently airing shows like Sasaki and Miyano and Tribe Nine are not available on CR (despite that seeming like it should be the first priority). Makes me wonder if they're not actually going to bring this season to CR until it's actually over, to squeeze that little bit of money out of people.

If you read the post where all the listed anime are being moved.. you will see that the list will be updated over time.. so eventually Those 2 amines will be moved over as well... I will say within the next 24-48 hours.

MagicPolly wrote:
Well I guess I'll just note down my queue from Funi and cancel my subscription. I was expecting Funimation to end up being the surviving brand in this deal, so that's surprising.

I hope this doesn't spell the end for Sentai/Hidive though, I'd like for there to be some competition in the market

If you read the FAQ.. They are working on merging your watch list and history... Its just going to take some time to program the transfer between both platforms.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:58 am Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
JoelBurger wrote:

If you read the post where all the listed anime are being moved.. you will see that the list will be updated over time.. so eventually Those 2 amines will be moved over as well... I will say within the next 24-48 hours.

If you read my post, you would see the part that said (despite that seeming like it should be the first priority). Reading is important kids.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Nope, I'm done then. I'm not going to give CR any money.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:00 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
JoelBurger wrote:

If you read my post, you would see the part that said (despite that seeming like it should be the first priority). Reading is important kids.

Yes I read that... But I can also understand that sometimes that's not always the case... Mainly because it could be license related restrictions that they would have to address.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Nope, I'm done then. I'm not going to give CR any money.

If thats your hill your willing to die on... Now why is that you willing to end everything because its all going to Crunchyroll.. What did they do to you that made you this way.

Last edited by Sevokevo Royuki on Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
GNPixie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Wonder if the JP studios are okay with the consoladition of Western distributors. If I had to guess, not everybody would be a fan.
matt78

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Slightly off topic but does anyone think this will eventually lead to more of AOA's library coming to Crunchyroll since Sony seems to want all their anime under one roof. Same question for Blood+, the Marvel anime & the few other anime that Sony Home Entertainment has the rights too.
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:12 pm Reply with quote
my funimation subscription just renewed today. Guess i am going to have to email funimation if a cancellation and refund is possible
Saeryen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Nice! Now I won't have to pay for three different services.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:19 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
Wonder if the JP studios are okay with the consoladition of Western distributors. If I had to guess, not everybody would be a fan.

I'm not a Japanese studio, but I have to imagine they don't particularly care as long as they get their licensing money.
RobbiRobb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested to see if this will change anything for me. Funimation has never been available to me, because EU, so a lot of the times I didn't even have a way of watching shows legally here. Would be cool if those shows would actually become available here, but I'm not having high hopes.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:48 pm Reply with quote
This seems like good news. I can get rid of my Funi sub and I won't miss that website. It always seemed to have some sort of weirdness to it. Latest example? If I try to play a Funi video on Firefox (I have a Mac), I have to manually unmute it.

Last edited by Blood- on Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping the part about Funimation streaming ongoing series means "in addition to Crunchyroll" and not exclusively. I'd like to go ahead and cancel, but there are several simuldubs that may or may not be coming over, and the wording doesn't make it very clear what the plan is there beyond "check back later."

Also, it's pretty annoying that current subscribers to both get nothing. The free 60 days is just for non-Crunchyroll subscribers. What you get for subscribing to both is, apparently, the headache of figuring out when to cancel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13