• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Arifureta - From Commonplace to World's Strongest Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Antipathy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I love how this episode (ep. 11) really captured the essence and followed almost all of what happened in the Vol. 6 of the LN. I could complain about several minor details they missed or glossed over but this so far is the closest and best they have done by the LN yet. I get the feeling since the LN only has 1 more volume left that this will get the last 2 seasons (24 - 26 more eps) to finish complete the series.

Hell with hoe this LN is selling we might get Zero and the After Stories made into anime at this rate.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Antipathy wrote:
Hell with hoe this LN is selling we might get Zero and the After Stories made into anime at this rate.

Hope the After Stories come first if it happens. Don't know how popular the prequel Zero characters are, but I don't want them killing After Stories chances.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:

Come to think of it we have had 3 new labyrinths defeated but I have only noticed 1 new power being used. The portals he can now use to remotely guide his attacks. So I dont really know what any of his powers he got over this season does. Like the latest one they just said it was spiritual magic. Okay? but what is its function or is it just all of the school of spirit magic? Similarly I have no idea on the bounds of his other new spells. At least the summoning tools from subspace and advanced crafting ancient magics where tangible.

Obviously there's a heap more lore in the LN, the anime doesn't do a great job of explaining it. The Ancient Magic from the labryths are broad concepts rather than specific spells/abilities. Each of our main trio use it differently. For the most part Hajime himself doesn't have affinity for it so can't "cast" it as such, but can bind it into his toys. Yue invents new spells (like the dragons and the black hole things). Shea enhances her physical abilities with it.

Spirit magic is soul manipulation. spoiler[ which is coming in real useful for fixing Kaori's current near death state, and her next big evolution.]. Spacial magic is the portals (Lab3) and is also behind the treasure trove ring, gravity magic (lab2) allows Hajime to manipulate the mass of things to various effects (eg it's how the crossbits fly). Restoration magic (lab4) he doesn't use much but is behind Kaoris major power up (which we've not really seen much in the anime). It was also the anti-restoration Yue used on demon bossman.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Eri is very cute and I wish the little psychopath the best.
Melicans

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Antipathy wrote:

Hell with how this LN is selling we might get Zero and the After Stories made into anime at this rate.

I can see Zero being animated. I'm not sure about the After Stories since that will presumably come after at least one more season (or would it be two? My memory of where we are in the LNs is a bit spotty). Though isn't the After Stories longer than the main story at this point?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I was expecting the mastermind to have been trying to get into Kouki's pants and was planning to murder everyone to achieve that, but okay. Not to mention turning everybody, including Kouki, into reanimated corpses. She's also the kind of girl to force a kiss on a guy, use tongue, and poison him with said kiss. Yeah, she fits this show to a T.

I really thought everyone was brainwashed, but no, they're all dead and she's just been controlling their bodies. Ouch.

Poor Suzu.

Kaori getting the Hero moment of healing everybody even when Hiyama stabs her, and she kept trying even when he stabbed her again.

It was nice to see the kids get to show off a little and fight back, and Kouki honestly looked like he was planning to kill Eri and Hiyama, but it was tougher fighting Meld.

Hiyama was such a piece of trash, so obsessed with Hajime and owning Kaori, but Hajime had so little time for him that he just beat him up and tossed him to the demons to feed on. He deserved worse, but it fits him all the same.

So, like, how much damage to the kingdom did Hajime do...?

I laugh at how Freid keeps posturing only to get sent running away everytime Hajime or his Harem flexes, but I guess that's what's kept him alive longer than all of the other villains. And now he and Eri have teamed-up.

Well, Hajime seems confident they can save Kaori, so that's something. And it shows how much he cares about her that her getting hurt like that made it personal to him in a way nothing else did.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:35 pm Reply with quote
When the episode first started I wasn't expecting much, but it turned out pretty well. When Kaori kept healing everyone I started to wonder about herself and then the heals began to force the sword out, so well done there.

I also though that was it for Shizuku, but I guess the only loss was the one token classmate to show Eri was serious. Too bad for him I guess...

I was expecting more of a reaction from Hajime to Eri, but maybe it wasn't clear to him how much this was her fault... It was weird how she just seemed to teleport onto the dragon at the last second too...

Last edited by Covnam on Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:15 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I can't say I was expecting the mastermind to have been trying to get into Kouki's pants and was planning to murder everyone to achieve that,

You haven't been watching enough Forensic Files, Dateline, and 20/20 to see that this is a popular endeavor for many men and women.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:21 am Reply with quote
Well, Kaori is dead. But, like Al Elric in Full Metal Alchemist, they managed to hold on to her soul using the Soul Magic skills they just picked up. However, whether they can restore her soul into her body to bring her back to life isn't so cut-and-dry.

Eri is... well, kinda hot, really. Too bad she's also a sadist. And her crush is a complete loser, too. Ah, well. That's teen romance, I guess.

At least Hiyama won't be backstabbing anyone (literally or figuratively) ever again.

Poor Meld. He just wanted to be put out of his undead misery, and the pathetic "hero" balked at even that. Someone said that he looked like he was about to kill Eri and Hiyama, but I think he was just posturing. The guy completely lacks resolve, and he proved it again in this episode. At least Hajime took care of it.

As for the very end, I am guessing (a)Freid did something to get Eri onto the dragon with him. I doubt that was her own ability, which as far as I know is solely based on Necromancy; Fried has been through a couple of labyrinths, IIRC.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:38 am Reply with quote
Thanks Thesarum, I appreciate the breakdown. So was the teardrop laser strike his use of spirit magic as well?

I must say I thoroughly enjoyed this episode as I was placed just right to want to see Hajime turn up and kick arse. The timings felt right, and it had a good tension before superman turned up, like a good super hero moment should be. Slightly disappointed my prediction about the antagonist girl didn't turn out to be right but I can give props to the show for not taking the cop out route.

Does this mean the show works best when Hajime is the punchline to a story instead of being involved in the setup? Like One Punch Man?

That teleporting onto the dragon felt a bit weird, screen slightly warped and then she just appeared next key frame. Hamjime certainly seems to of upped his game in this episode, where he now can over power the dragon breath with a couple of bullets and catch weapons and people like rag dolls.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:49 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Thanks Thesarum, I appreciate the breakdown. So was the teardrop laser strike his use of spirit magic as well?

I'd have to go back and re-read the explanation, but iirc it's mostly gravity and spacial magic. Gravity to get the thing up there, then spacial magic to focus sunlight into a pocket dimension like the treasure trove, then release it all at once. Basically a laser, but with pocket dimensions rather than mirrors. I forget the mechanics for the control crystal, but it's basically the same as the telepathy stones the team uses, so pre-dates spirit magic.

Cryten wrote:
That teleporting onto the dragon felt a bit weird, screen slightly warped and then she just appeared next key frame.

Yeah, that was weird. There's some cut content there, so maybe originally there was more to that scene then they cut it? spoiler[ I think there's a bit of conversation that reveals she's been in contact with Freid for a while, and he's made various promises. Like all good evil nutcases, she loves a gloating monologue. The teleport stones for the monster hoard were placed by her, and the weakening of the barrier.]
Thesarum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(how are they all going to fit in the Hummvee?!),

I'm kinda sad we didn't get to see Hajime's answer to this question (because of course he's always got something he prepared earlier to pull out of his treasure trove) and opted for "walking into the sunrise" in the outro. It's every bit as ridiculous as everything else he does at this point. All aboard the Edgelord Tourbus!

It'll be interesting to see how they weave the early bits of the next phase in to the anime (assuming there is another season), because a chunk of it relies on plot lines and characters that S1 entirely skipped over.

Overall, satisfied with this series. It's not great, but it's enjoyable trash, and better than most of the other isekai from this season (though that isn't a particularly high bar).
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Eh....I enjoyed this season a lot less than the prior one. It was undeniably better, I think, but just ended being bland to my taste. The prior season was, by contrast, more amusingly awful.[/i]
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I think this season shows what Arifureta is like with less production issues compared to season 1, so whatever your opinion of it I think it's definitely objectively an improvement from season 1.

Feel bad for Liliana. Her father died, her kingdom's been ravaged, and she's spending night after sleepless night trying to keep it all together.

Hajime appreciating Aiko's humanity because it's something he doesn't have anymore was surprisingly sweet.

I wasn't expecting them to put Kaori's body into Noint's corpse, but now she's about even with the rest of the Party/Harem. Kind of convenient that her normal body is being preserved for when she needs it, but whatever. Actually, are her boobs bigger now in Noint's body...?

Kouki still doesn't trust Hajime? Like, okay, you may not agree with his currently personality, but he's saved you twice. Get over yourself Kouki.

I'm happy that Shizuku is joining up with Hajime's Party, but Kouki seems like a headache waiting to keep festering. Probably the most likely to end up as an actual meat shield.

Tio gonna be Tio, which means Hajime is going to go down even harder on her (and she'll actually enjoy it).
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy that Arifureta got a second season and double happy that it wasn't an absolute trashfire, as memetically amusing as season one was. Time to get hype for the OVA and pray for a third season!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4