• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, Hulu Sign First-Look Streaming Deal for New Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:09 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Something else I'm wondering about is if Hulu is going to get first dibs on Funimaiton's titles, how does this effect the titles they're still sharing with Crunchyroll like Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia?

I believe they mentioned with the split that pre-existing contracts/deals are staying in place, so presumably that would mean Hulu couldn't get those titles unless they were able to cancel those deals (like buying out the contract).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
If the $7.95/month subscription for Hulu meant no ads and I had a job, then I use Hulu more.

[EDIT: Soapboxing removed. Stop bringing up Netflix in irrelevant threads. ~Zalis]
TexZero

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:03 am Reply with quote
Yasaal wrote:
Quote:
Sony is investing in Funimation to make it a "global sub and dub anime brand."

Really hope their definition of Global isn't "America+Canada"...

Under Sony, Funi can do a LOT. It won't be as hard to be a global brand if the right measures and steps are taken, but who knows when Funi will get to that point.

If you've ever been on youtube, you'd know what Sony's idea of global is.

"This video isn't available in your region" -SME.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I assume this only applies to shows where Funimation is the exclusive streaming platform. It will suck if CR's simulcast catalog suffers noticeably but this is probably good for Funimation if they now can offer a streaming service with the reliability and infrastructure of Hulu.

I haven't used Hulu since they got rid of the free version years ago, but back then everything Funi put on the site looked terrible compared to 480p video anywhere else. It was especially noticeable for shows they shared with other places. It seemed to me like they tried to get the video as close to "unacceptable" without actually crossing over into being unacceptable. Are they still doing that?
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:32 pm Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
I had my account from back when they still allowed free access and was pretty miffed when they started being pay only.

At that same time, the free viewing of their content moved to Yahoo View, a service I suspect only a portion of Hulu's audience even realize exists:
https://view.yahoo.com/
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:43 am Reply with quote
Does any of this matter for people like me who don't care about dubs?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Does any of this matter for people like me who don't care about dubs?

Do you use Hulu to watch anime?
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:20 am Reply with quote
No. I use Crunchy, Amazon, and occasionally Netflix.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:36 pm Reply with quote
@yuna49

As I understand it, beginning next season the series licensed by Funimation will not be available to you under your current set up. Going forward, some series (approximately 20 per year) will also be available on Hulu. This is important only because people are of the opinion that Hulu has a better quality streaming service than anything Funimation has managed and, of course, those already subscribing to Hulu may be able to avoid subscribing to Funimation.

Since you reported in another thread that you seldom buy hard copy media anymore, this is likely to inform your decisions as to what additional services you subscribe to, if any.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Alan.

In the past Funi has generally tended to license shows that didn't appeal to my tastes. I had a Funi subsctiption at one time but let it lapse. I'll wait to see how license exclusivities settle out before deciding what to do next.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:39 am Reply with quote
@yuna49

I'm in pretty much the same boat, with just Crunchyroll and Netflix currently. I also figured I would wait until I hear about something I want before changing.

Apparently for those who want to try everything, the ideal lineup is VRV for Crunchyroll and Hidive, Funimation, Netflix and Amazon. Hulu will depend on just what series it takes from Funimation and if you watch anything other than anime (I don't). At this point Amazon is fairly marginal for anime and it is not clear if any additional services will show up. The streaming market is currently in a period of growth and change which is going to make things "interesting" until it stabilizes.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:59 am Reply with quote
If you're not already using hulu for anime, then this deal wont be of any use. Everything Hulu gets from funi will still be on Funi
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:52 pm Reply with quote
This was the final nail in the coffin for my gf and I to cancel cable. Between CR, Funi, Hi-Dive, & Netflix that covered most of our non-serialized tv shows. I got Hi-Dive at a great deal during the Beta fir 2 years so that's small potatoes. We have Prime but primarily for shipping and other Amazon deals. The anime is just a bonus, especially with Strike done for. Hulu has 90% of the tv we do watch (shows & channels) anyways. Basically we can have Hulu, Funi, Hi-Dive, Prime, CR, & Netflix per month for less than the tv part of the cable bill. Time to re-activate my Hulu account.
Violynne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:49 am Reply with quote
I'm perplexed by this deal. Surprised, even, because Sony generally doesn't play well with others.

No conspiracy theory, just rather pleased Sony isn't locking up FUNimation content to its own services.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3