• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: '[New Life+] Young Again in Another World' Anime's Protagonist, Novel Creator Cause Contro

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traitorAIZEN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:14 am Reply with quote
They have the great firewall of china there, how are they even suppose to watch anime?
otagirl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:20 am Reply with quote
People who are neither Chinese nor Japanese have no business making judgements about whether the reactions were justified or not.

Those saying "it's just fiction" and it's stupid to overreact etc. are most likely ignorant of the cultural sensitivities. With a topic this controversial, those who feel the subject matter is distasteful should definitely have the right to complain.

In the West, if a new Marvel character was implied to have slaughtered thousands of Jews like it's something to be proud of then you can bet your ****ing arse the anti-facists will be all over it like flies on crap.

The Japanese carried out atrocious crimes towards the Chinese in the recent past. The things they did were just as bad or if not worse than what the Nazis did to the Jews.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:21 am Reply with quote
So this guy killed 5000 Chinese people with a Katana? It's obviously a joke. The only way to do this in real life is to HAVE anime powers. Personally, I don't care if a fictional character killed 1.000.000 people since it's FICTIONAL. People need to figure out the difference between real life and fiction already.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:39 am Reply with quote
The author has since deleted his Twitter posts but he did reference the Nanking Massacre,as well as making derogatory remarks towards the people of China and the Koreas

Though is a work of fiction,the story has a touch of historical fact -'hyakunin-giri kyōsō'/'contest to kill 100 people using a sword'.

In 1937 two Japanese officers began a contest,a contest that was closely cover in Japanese newspapers,to be the first to kill 100 Chinese with a sword.Newspapers reported the first contest to have ended in a draw,so the number of kills was increased to 150.

Now the newspapers were reporting the officers were heroically killing Chinese soldiers in close combat,but the reality was the officers were inflating their kills by murdering unarmed prisoners.

The two Japanese officers were executed in 1948 after being convicted of a war crime.

So a somewhat...opinionated author may have taken an actual war crime and highly fictionalized it.
I know I was upset to see one of the masterminds behind the Holocaust being portrayed in an anime that as released not so long ago.
Not too hard to understand why some in China would be upset over a glamorized & fictionalized portrayal of yet another war criminal.
hatguy12

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:57 am Reply with quote
For the matter of the author's racist twitter comments, that looks to be pretty clear cut condemnable to me.

But I have a question directed at those who see the book content as condemnable. I fully acknowledge my lack of familiarity or closeness with the issue, so I want to get the opinion of someone who is closer the issue.

I can't know for sure what intent this author had, but in the hypothetical situation that you were writing a character book, what would be the way (or would there be a way) to write that a character who was Japanese had killed X number of people with a sword in a war without specifying details like a time, place, or which war? The intent being to show that he was ridiculous for the being able to kill people in a war using a sword (leaving aside whether this is good character writing or bad).

I don't have access to the precise text at the moment, but the current wording is something like "and he fought in a world war killing X people with a katana." The one possible revision I could think of was specifying "...killing X enemy combatants..." Would that or any other revision have made it so the content of the book was not an issue? Or is it impossible to write that a Japanese character killed many people with a sword in a culturally sensitive manner?

Or is it only the author's tweets that make such a line unacceptable?
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:55 am Reply with quote
If your Japanese character is an old man living in the real world & present day, who killed loads of people in "a war," there is only one war it can be. So either the author is so pig ignorant of his own country's history that he didn't make that connection, or - as his tweets most definately suggest - he knew & did it on purpose.

Having said that, I just read part 1 (it's really short, thank goodness) & there's nothing there to indicate he had any such past. Plenty to suggest the author/intended audience spends their free time playing videogames & moaning about women on the internet, though. Half of it is him hitting God for being a girl, the other is a character creation screen. I guess he must get some more of his memories back later, or something, but I sure ain't paying to find out.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:11 am Reply with quote
China you're better than this, hush. It doesn't even sound serious from what I'm reading, it's more like an off color joke, it's just not a very good joke though as it's too exaggerated.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:33 am Reply with quote
Lol at random Chinese guy crying about this. Stay mad.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:36 am Reply with quote
I am not Chinese, but I am Filipino, and the Japanese have committed many of the same atrocities towards us (Bataan Death March). My grandma was glad the tsunami hit the Japanese some time back, but I have no such grudge against them, and misinterpreting genocide heroically in a fictional work does not offend me at all. Don't say that I can't comment because I am not Chinese, WWII Japan hurt a lot of Asian countries in general and was arguably comparable to Nazi Germany in this regard.

meruru wrote:
While recognizing a difference between fantasy and reality is a very important thing, in this case the context is a big deal. Nanking is a big issue there, it'd be weird for him to not be aware of it and how horrific it was, and how the downplayers and deniers are such a problem, and how mad everyone else is. Then to write a protagonist that the audience is supposed to be rooting for who can be read to have participated in that, it seems kind of likely either he maybe partially buys into the radical rhetoric, or he is aware of how it looks and for some reason doesn't care. Or at least, that's what I think from my understanding of the issue, me being not Japanese nor Chinese.

Is there any proof that the novel was referring to Nanking? Are you sure he wasn't out in Europe deflecting bullets ninja style?
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:25 am Reply with quote
otagirl wrote:
In the West, if a new Marvel character was implied to have slaughtered thousands of Jews like it's something to be proud of then you can bet your ****ing arse the anti-facists will be all over it like flies on crap.
Except nothing in the light novel was implied that, it was all projection. It'd be like people making a huge campaign to ban Captain America because he obviously participated in the Rape of Germany, because, he was in the war, so he obviously did it. I mean, Marvel never said it, but it was implied when he went there. Obviously.

Nordhmmer wrote:
The two Japanese officers were executed in 1948 after being convicted of a war crime.

So, the people responsible were punished. Seems like that should be the end of it, but "reparations" are eternal because some people can't let go of the past. Sadly, China has made it clear nothing will ever be enough for and they will never let this go. And yet, you don't see most of Japan still outraged over Okinawa or any other war crimes America did to them. A few fringe extremists maybe, but nothing on the level you still see from China.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:25 am Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
People who aren't Chinese or Japanese are also possibly missing the context that the Nanking Massacre was a terrible atrocity perpetuated on the Chinese by the Japanese, and certain groups in Japan are constantly trying to play revisionist, to the point of altering history books taught in schools and such to make it seem less bad, for instance. That kind of thing is almost certainly what the people who are complaining are reacting to. So this is an EXTREMELY touchy issue.

meruru wrote:
Also, to help put it on perspective, the thousands number might not even be much of an artistic exaggeration. They killed a many as 400 thousand Chinese, they did things like hold contests to see who could kill 100 in one go. It was VERY horrific.

What are you even talking about? The LN just says he "participated in the world war". It doesn't say who he fought, who he killed or exactly which world war it was. This argument just came out of thin air because the protag joined the Chinese mafia BEFORE the war started. Not to mention circumstantial evidence in the LN points to the protag being in the first world war not the second, but again not confirmed.

otagirl wrote:
People who are neither Chinese nor Japanese have no business making judgements about whether the reactions were justified or not.

If their reactions are completely groundless and comes from made up information (which it is) I will definitely judge them as being dumb.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:40 am Reply with quote
Goblin Slayer:

#Goblin'sLivesMatter
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:00 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
So this guy killed 5000 Chinese people with a Katana? It's obviously a joke. The only way to do this in real life is to HAVE anime powers. Personally, I don't care if a fictional character killed 1.000.000 people since it's FICTIONAL. People need to figure out the difference between real life and fiction already.

I agree, People have to start to understand what is a real factual history and fiction.

For example, one of the characters of Date a Live killed about 150 million people probably most of them Chinese just because she appear in the center of Euro-Asia (Mongolia i think). 5000 is child play comparing to that.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:

So, the people responsible were punished. Seems like that should be the end of it, but "reparations" are eternal because some people can't let go of the past. Sadly, China has made it clear nothing will ever be enough for and they will never let this go. And yet, you don't see most of Japan still outraged over Okinawa or any other war crimes America did to them. A few fringe extremists maybe, but nothing on the level you still see from China.

I am not trying to argue about the LN right now, since the most I can condemn him is calling people in China and Korea as "bugs" and other stuff on twitter, but that's another issue 5 years ago, I can give him the benefit the doubt that his prejudice against those countries did NOT translate to his work.

But I do feel it is necessary to share a few things that non-Chinese and non-Japanese might missed, NOT trying to defend their actions, mind you, I am merely providing the reasoning behind their actions and perspectives.

A few things should made clear:

Only a few war criminals were punished (the major ones, even the royals were exempted) from that war, feel free to google Tokyo Trial 1947-1950, that will tell you a lot about the relation between these two countries even now. It did not puts an end of it, instead it initiated a chain of hatred that extends to current generations, as absurd as that sounds.

History are being taught not to extend hatred, but to remind people such tragedy and never let it happen again.

Sadly, that is clearly NOT what Japanese government (important, NOT Japanese people, the government) did. History revisionists that went beyond changing textbooks, and Japan never ever formally apologized to war crimes or even visit the old sites. And even to this day, Japan has huge prejudice against China and its people for whatever reason.

So you expect Chinese people to let it go if that's their mindset? Especially comparing to the sincerity of how Germany apologized to Jews. It's not about reparations, but it is alarming for Chinese that if timing is right, Japan might do it again. (Yes, that's why it triggers them to such degree)

Also did you just call what US did to Japan as "war CRIMES?" If so how come USA is never condemned for such actions but was praised for ending the WWII as fast as they can? How come the USA General who commanded the Tokyo bombing was awarded by Japanese?
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Japan has huge prejudice against China and its people for whatever reason.

Don't know, maybe because China invaded Japan 2 times in 1274 and 1281 and invade Japanese territorial waters several times a month nowadays.

But, also when 2 major powers areas of influence clash, people of those countries tend to have antagonist opinions of the other side.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4