• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DanMachi: Memoria Freese Smartphone Game's English Version Removes 'Touching' Feature

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:39 am Reply with quote
This is rather disturbing. Censorship aside, if they did indeed say the features would be in the game at launch, then one would think that would be grounds for False Advertising or "Bait-and-Switch" .

I hope someone with a legal background can look into this.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:10 am Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:

Its just sad because it makes CR as a whole look bad when they have never censored anything else and generally are pro creator. And this makes the uninformed think that CR as a company promotes censorship.

It is a black mark, moreso not simply because they did it, but because of the claim by someone with the company that it wasn't censorship.

But in the spirit of fairness, I must point out CR did engage in a bit of censorship once before, back in their early days:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-07-09/crunchyroll-streams-altered-charger-girl-ju-den-chan
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:03 am Reply with quote
@TheAncientOne: With your link, at least CR was being somewhat transparent about their censorship. With this game, CR and the localization team might not have landed in as much controversy if they said something to the effect of "while we intend on not having any censorship for this game, that may be happen. Thus, this game may or may not have the touching feature".
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Not just dialogue... Skills and whatnot aren't correctly translated and do things the description doesn't mention <.<

Examples? I can’t (easily) play the game as it’s US only, but I am acquainted with one of the translators.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I like the game but whole dialogue was untranslated in the tips section that pops up it still all Japanese! Also some of the mission dialogue was left completely untranslated when the are speaking its Japanese in the dialogue box! Those are facts as
Someone who’s played and seen it in game! The tip one is really annoying!
renrinken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I do feel this is rather concerning.

I am not a person who thinks "a company should never censor or alter their product" but I feel its different with CR considering their position. Context is important, and the context is CR is the world's largest digital distributor of anime. Anime which is often ridiculed and attacked by the main stream for being sexist, xenophobic, and in general problematic.

So when such a huge anime distributor start "censoring to make a product more palatable for a international audience" it puts up lots of red flags. The rationalization for censoring Memory Freese would be no different then lets say Killing Bites that has several rape scenes for example.

So I am strongly against any kind of censorship CR may do, because in the end it will eventually spread to their anime catalog. Better to put our foot down now, then after they becomes the new 4kids.

I also find their attitude very concerning. They pretty much said "We will take feedback, but we absolutely will not change our minds on this. This feature will never be in our release". It feel really weird, its basically telling their own audience to shut up, they know best. For such a minor feature CR seems rather gungho. It makes me feel its much more then just this feature. As if they already have more similar kinds of censorship planned for future games or anime, and if they backed down now it would ruin their future plans.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:56 pm Reply with quote
>Our Crunchyroll community is strong and passionate, and while we actively listen to their valuable feedback, we also must reserve the right to modify game features at any time.
Well, you can go fudge yourself.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:41 pm Reply with quote
It seems like CR should just stick to the streaming venue.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
@TheAncientOne: With your link, at least CR was being somewhat transparent about their censorship. With this game, CR and the localization team might not have landed in as much controversy if they said something to the effect of "while we intend on not having any censorship for this game, that may be happen. Thus, this game may or may not have the touching feature".

My thoughts are that CR actually intended to have this feature at the beginning like you mentioned, given how they explicitly advertised this part as shown in the ANN article, then pushback from some corporate side ensued and resulted in this.

I mean they've got no qualms about fanservice currently in their actual main anime business or the manga side, and we're not even talking about nudity or anything close to it in this game (which is present elsewhere on CR), so this must've come as a sudden change from an external or higher level corporate source. I posited is may have been from GREE as my email from the game's feedback and support link actually went to and was responded by the Japanese side and not CR localization team.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:02 am Reply with quote
What I find funny about this is that the English version of Love Live! School Idol Festival retains its own "touching" feature from the original Japanese version, and I think it's been there from day one. Even when there was controversy over the translation removing same-sex relationships, they didn't dare mess with that. And look at what we have here, with a more abjectly sexual franchise taking away the touching. It's pretty disappointing.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Mirroring what other people are saying.

I personally don't care much about the game as, not being a fan of the series, I'd never play it, and removing the touching thing isn't necessarily a big deal (I don't know what it's actually for, so I don't know if it's like "tap your character on home screen and they say something" or if it's like "touch your character and they'll make a suggestive noise and rank up" or whatever, so I don't know how important it is to gameplay), and I didn't watch the original CR trailer so I don't know much of a focus they put on the touch element in it, but...

If they advertised it beforehand,
If they said they would not censor/change anything,
Then going and changing it without telling anyone is really dodgy. Their excuse is pretty poor. "We inadvertently put it in our ad". Again, not sure what the ad was like, but if it literally used it as a selling point, and someone cut a scene of touching and added it or added text about it, you can't "inadvertently" include it. You purposefully did and now your'e trying to back track. Even if there wasn't a focus on it in the ad, it's pretty piss poor to not pay enough attention to your own ad for your first game to notice it contains elements you'll be removing. Like, whichever way you look at it, they messed up and it reflects badly on them.
Regarding the ad they were either super lazy or stupid. Regarding the censoring they were either misinformed when releasing public company statements, or they lied, or the decision was made later and they never thought it'd be worth updating fans on the situation.
Whichever one, it's bad management and bad communication.

So like, regardless of whether you think the removal was a good thing or a bad thing, what it boils down to is Crunchyroll handling this is in an absolutely terrible way.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:20 pm Reply with quote
A yes, read about this a while ago on Sakura Anime News and One Angry Gamer. Surprised it took ANN this long to notice. You gotta love how they managed censorship, false advertising, insulting their customers and unwillingly encouraging piracy in the same incident lol.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:55 pm Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
The removal of features promoting sexual harassment can only be seen as a good thing and while Crunchyroll or whoever decided to do it made the right call to remove it, they're being goofs about brushing it under the rug.
I am very skeptical of how a touching component of a video game can be regarded as sexual harassment but than again the demonization of male sexual desire gets worse with every passing year. Crunchyroll removing the touching component of a video game for political correctness was a mistake but an even bigger mistake is refusing to be honest about it. Most of us know what censorship looks likes and for them to claim that this isn't censorship feels insulting.

DmonHiro wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
but I think some underestimate how many players might have found the feature undesirable.

If it is undesirable then you don't use it. God, I hate the current "if I don't like it it shouldn't exists" generation.
Agreed, and considering this was an optional feature in a video game it makes me wonder how Crunchyroll will treat sexual content in future anime.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I also don't particularly mind the feature's removal either. But yeah, CR needs to own up to it and just admit that it's censorship.

and because of that fact is the reason why the japanese version is region locked so that westerners is pretty much forced to play the edited version of the game. the exact same BS aniplex did with fate/grand order.

they should do like DMM which doesnt region lock all of their games like Kamihime Project which is a pretty decent turn based RPG game.

and it is a good thing that its a decent one too considering that those types of gameplay in the RPG genre is pretty much dead and buried after square enix abandoned that gameplay system after final fantasy X and went with the real life gameplay RPG with kingdom hearts and final fantasy XII
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
VPedge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
I also don't particularly mind the feature's removal either. But yeah, CR needs to own up to it and just admit that it's censorship.

and because of that fact is the reason why the japanese version is region locked so that westerners is pretty much forced to play the edited version of the game. the exact same BS aniplex did with fate/grand order.

they should do like DMM which doesnt region lock all of their games like Kamihime Project which is a pretty decent turn based RPG game.

and it is a good thing that its a decent one too considering that those types of gameplay in the RPG genre is pretty much dead and buried after square enix abandoned that gameplay system after final fantasy X and went with the real life gameplay RPG with kingdom hearts and final fantasy XII

Fate grand order is not region lock nor is this game the hell are you talking about not finding it on the english app store is a thing yes but you can play both these games Japanese versions just fine using QooApp please don't spread false information
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4