• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Does Anime Often Feature Ear Cleaning?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Quote:
Additionally, the sort of Japanese businesses that cater to lonely men often offer this as a service.

What about lonely women? Where do they go to get their ears cleaned?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . thiiiissss....

All of the things people look down on lonely single guys for doing, and call them perverts, I'm always like.... "I wish I could do that..."

Also, I've... never actually seen this in an anime. I've seen it other places, though. I guess I just don't watch enough bishoujo anime...
Nodz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Nodz wrote:
Ok I agree the color is different, but smell?
I am European and my ear wax doesn't smell anything, though it does have this yellow color.

People usually don't smell their own smells. Ok, if you've worn the same clothes for a few weeks then it's understandable, but normally people don't realize how they smell to others...

True Laughing

Also, Yagyuu Binbokusai in Gintama seems to be the exception to asian people
[img]gintama
img upload
[/img]
ly000001

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
For those asking what to use instead of Q-tips/cotton buds, there are plenty of ear wax removal drops available at drug stores e.g. Murine Ear Wax Removal System http://a.co/iUotf9w.

For the more adventurous, you can get a earwax pick (called mimikaki/耳かき in Japanese) online. This one, http://amzn.asia/dx4sFyw, consists of coils instead of being a traditional scoop.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
For people in Japan who live by themselves, or they live with no one whom they can trust to remove earwax without harm, what do they do? Do they do what Justin does and see a doctor every now and then for it?

I've had the warm-water and syringe thing done to me a couple of times before, though I live in the United States where something so much as an ambulance visit costs thousands of dollars and our household lost the sort of medical coverage that would allow that sort of thing without us having to pay.

Kadmos1 wrote:
I will be honest and say that this ranks among the weirdest to downright of the many Answerman entries I have seen. I guess I didn't real think of this aspect of anime and now I think I don't wan to.

That being said, this is an aspect I hadn't even thought about, and after reading it, it actually sounds like a pretty interesting and overlooked facet of Japanese culture.

Zin5ki wrote:
And so I glance at the ever-ready box of cotton buds beside my desk. At once I come across a warning message printed boldly thereon, somehow having never previously noticed it: "For external use only." A caution that defies the ergonomics of the buds themselves, I suspect.

The cotton swabs I get actually has a warning on the box saying not to use it in the ear. I never actually took it quite seriously, but I did suspect for a long while that the cotton could easily jam itself in the ear.

I don't really have many alternatives I could use myself though. For some reason, my earwax, which was always the goopy high-lipid kind, also became smelly sometime in my teenage years, and I rinse out my ears every day as they otherwise build up a smell in there something like limburger cheese.

DerekL1963 wrote:
It's basically a small spoon on a long handle, so anything you can make a spoon out of will do. Mostly plastic nowadays, but historically usually wood of some kind. As you moved up the social scale, the wood got rarer and more expensive naturally. I've seen ivory ones too, presumably for the top of the ladder.

When I was little, my mother used a hairpin. It was pretty effective, though it did sometimes leave my ear aching a bit. No permanent damage though.

ly000001 wrote:
For those asking what to use instead of Q-tips/cotton buds, there are plenty of ear wax removal drops available at drug stores e.g. Murine Ear Wax Removal System http://a.co/iUotf9w.

I've used one of those before when my earwax buildup started affecting my hearing, and was in fact what the doctor had me use. It wound up severely inhibiting my hearing for the days until when I went to the clinic again. When they flushed out the earwax with warm water, it turns out the drops melted the earwax such that it blocked the entire tunnel. My mom, who was watching, was shocked when it came out and referred to the stick as a "coffee stirrer" due to its tube-like shape (though it was not nearly as long as a normal coffee stirrer).
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I've had a doctor remove my earwax once when it got really bad. It was like almost the size of a cockroach on how much was taken out.
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:23 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
For people in Japan who live by themselves, or they live with no one whom they can trust to remove earwax without harm, what do they do? Do they do what Justin does and see a doctor every now and then for it?

When I was little, my mother used a hairpin. It was pretty effective, though it did sometimes leave my ear aching a bit. No permanent damage though.

I don't live alone, but I use a hairpin to clean my own ears. I just tilt my head slightly to the side and carefully stick the hairpin in my ear and scrape away. Been doing it since I was a teenager, you learn how to avoid poking to far to avoid pain.

And prior to reading this article I had no idea that earwax was different for Asians/non-Asians. I'm of Asian descent myself so I always thought the dry flaky earwax was the norm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I clean my ears regularly (at least once a week) with a metal ear pick, but I still use cotton swabs after showers to dry my ears. I never jam them into my ears, just a quick swirl along the outer parts to wipe away any lingering water.

That's safe... right???

I've never failed a hearing test and my hearing is actually quite good, I think.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:47 am Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
I just thought it was one of those weird creepy pervy anime things that no-one does in real life like head pats.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's become a fetish at this point. XD
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:45 am Reply with quote
I'll be the person that says it, I haven't seen a single anime where earwax cleaning is shown, so not sure where the "so many anime" comes from. I've seen a goodly number of anime over the years too. Anyone care to make a short list? Also, what is this about "yellow and smelly"? I'm solidly of European descent and it is neither very yellow and certainly isn't smelly and I've never encountered a person who that could be said of. Of course now I am imagining an anime where characters go around smelling ears and getting whacked for it... Wink
horseradish
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:13 am Reply with quote
My mom used a metal ear pick to clean my ears as a kid. Maybe brass. We would stand by a sun-lit window or in the backyard with my head slightly tilted. I'd compare the pick to a small knitting needle, but with a tiny angled scoop than a point. That said, the cold feeling from the pick slowly sliding into my ear canal always freaked me out inside. My dad liked poking and twisting Q-Tips in his ears until he got a wad of cotton lodged inside and I had to carefully fish it out for him. I go to the doctor to take care of my greasy earwax.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju S1 had a scene where Kikuhiko cleaned Sukeroku's ears. It was rather intimate and provocative since both are male best friends and Kikuhiko was twirling the pick between his fingers while Sukeroku was napping in his lap.

EricJ2 wrote:
...No Q-tips ever since. But, yes, I still have no earthly idea what ELSE they're ever used for.

I usually use Q-Tips to clean small, narrow surfaces such as battery acid off metal contacts. Sometimes snip off the cotton end for some other useful purpose. Some people use them to blend makeup.

crosswithyou wrote:
I clean my ears regularly (at least once a week) with a metal ear pick, but I still use cotton swabs after showers to dry my ears. I never jam them into my ears, just a quick swirl along the outer parts to wipe away any lingering water.

That's safe... right???

Yeah, I do that with swabs too. Just brushing it along the ear canal rim is fine. If the cotton end disappears into the ear canal, that's likely too far.
Vibrant Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:48 am Reply with quote
I always clean my ears using Q-tips, due to a lack of options. However, 2 years ago, I got a little overzealous, and am now slightly deaf on my right side.
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:03 am Reply with quote
I'm white but my earwax has always been flaky/white/dry. I honestly thought that was the normal mode earwax is in, until I saw my dad's gross Q-tips he'd used to clean his own ears (he didn't get the memo either I guess) covered in horrid yellowy goo. I actually asked him if he had an infection, and he was genuinely surprised when I told him that mine isn't like that. Then I found out everyone in my family also had the type like my dad's and only I was different.

I had no idea it was a geographical thing until I was in Daiso the other day and saw some ear cleaning tools and one was 'for japanese earwax' and another 'for american and european earwax'. Thought I was seeing some weird lost in translation thing for a bit.

If its genetic, I'm not sure where mine came from...
Scalfin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:58 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
I'm white but my earwax has always been flaky/white/dry. I honestly thought that was the normal mode earwax is in, until I saw my dad's gross Q-tips he'd used to clean his own ears (he didn't get the memo either I guess) covered in horrid yellowy goo. I actually asked him if he had an infection, and he was genuinely surprised when I told him that mine isn't like that. Then I found out everyone in my family also had the type like my dad's and only I was different.

I had no idea it was a geographical thing until I was in Daiso the other day and saw some ear cleaning tools and one was 'for japanese earwax' and another 'for american and european earwax'. Thought I was seeing some weird lost in translation thing for a bit.

The milkman?
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I use a Q-tip occasionally. It's best after you've put warm water in your ears and are careful not to push anything in, but to go scraping around.

But the best way is to visit your doc, usually a day after you've softened the wax inside with a few drops of olive oil and use the warm water and syringe solution.

Feels good man.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:

Sometimes, a gene skips a generation in a family, especially if it's recessive. (I don't know what the case is for earwax.) Odds are at least one of your grandparents, but not more than two, has or had the same kind of earwax as you do.

Hand orientation managed to skip two generations in my family, though it can be hard to tell because during my grandparents' time, left-handed people were forced to write with their right hands, so there may have been lefties who were conditioned out of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4