• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Quick Answers Part 4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaphdash

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
Okinawan and Amami are basically not even Japanese anymore.

It seems worth pointing out that Okinawan and Amami were never "Japanese" in the first place. These are Ryukyuan languages, related to but distinct from Japanese. Because the politics of language can be quite fraught, the Ryukyuan languages are considered by Japan to be "dialects" of Japanese, but most linguists would disagree (sort of a mirror image to the way, for instance, Norway, Denmark, and Sweden pretend they're all speaking different languages). Japan doesn't have a great track record on recognizing cultural or ethnic diversity within its borders.
tailor31415

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:33 pm Reply with quote
personally I really don't like how simulcasts now dominate the anime market because I tend not to like the professional subbing. either fan subs all consistently translated things wrong for years or certain companies just sub things incorrectly (and I don't want to start thinking about the ones that tone down cursing in the subs)
I prefer a dedicated fan sub where the fans actually care about getting the translation correct vs a rushed professional sub that had to be edited before the DVD release (and sometimes completely changes the meaning of lines in the process)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:54 pm Reply with quote
tailor31415 wrote:
personally I really don't like how simulcasts now dominate the anime market because I tend not to like the professional subbing. either fan subs all consistently translated things wrong for years or certain companies just sub things incorrectly (and I don't want to start thinking about the ones that tone down cursing in the subs)
I prefer a dedicated fan sub where the fans actually care about getting the translation correct vs a rushed professional sub that had to be edited before the DVD release (and sometimes completely changes the meaning of lines in the process)

A lot of, if not most, of the translators working in the business nowadays are former fansubbers who have gone legit and got hired by these companies. Besides, the most popular fansubs are the speed-subs, who are even MORE rushed than the ones handling the simulcasts (and don't necessarily do a better job). Don't be fooled by the increased swearing in fansubs. Some of them are added in by the fansubbers either because they can't translate something or to make it feel more edgy. (Japanese swearing works pretty differently than English swearing too, making a direct translation technically impossible.)
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
The way I see it, some American voice actors have little to no range (Lara Jill Miller, William Knight, Brian Donovan), while others have a lot of range (Tara Strong, Maurice Lamarche, Billy West). There are some who have a particular sound in their voice they can't truly hide either (Tom Kenny, Sam Vincent, Tress MacNeille). Some of them ARE typecast, however, and it often surprises me when I hear them sound different than I would've expected, such as Stephanie Sheh as Zeena in Sonic Lost World, where her voice is deeper and way snarkier than her usual shrinking violet roles; or Spike Spencer as Arakune in the BlazBlue games, where he got to play the "psychopath" he'd always wanted to play for many years. For both of them, I thought they sounded too similar in all their roles until I heard them in other roles. I didn't recognize Charlie Adler in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 as Spuer-Skrull until I read the cast, and then it became unmistakable

Yeah. While I don't listen to dubs much, I feel I'd like them more if the voice actors got to try more ranged roles. Like I said, there's a possibility they may be getting typecast and therefore don't have to display any real range, but I'd love for dub voice actors to be pushed out of the comfort zone a bit and try really different roles. I'd enjoy seeing that, and it's cool when it happens (same for Japanese seiyu's).
Like, I had to skim through Digimon Frontier for my job, and I heard two seperate (minor) characters whose voice actor voices Tai, and both sounded exactly the same. I don't know how much effort was put into dubs in shows like Digimon, considering half the cast is the same, but it was kind of awkward to hear. Meanwhile, I looked up one of the other voice actors to see she's done some pretty different voices throughout the Digimon seasons, and that was cool to see.

Man, idk, I just really want to see voice actor's expanding their range rather than seemingly auto-piloting through shows. Both Japanese and English VAs.

Peebs wrote:
Did you all know that kissanime has a patreon page? I kid you not. Nobody has pledged a cent, but it's still ridiculous that they have it. It is telling that even their "followers" are not willing to support their $1000/month server bill.

The best thing about it was their news post essentially saying "thanks for the support but the donations were worthless as we didn't get enough".
Personally, I reported the page. Not sure if it did anything though.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Yeah. While I don't listen to dubs much, I feel I'd like them more if the voice actors got to try more ranged roles. Like I said, there's a possibility they may be getting typecast and therefore don't have to display any real range, but I'd love for dub voice actors to be pushed out of the comfort zone a bit and try really different roles. I'd enjoy seeing that, and it's cool when it happens (same for Japanese seiyu's).
Like, I had to skim through Digimon Frontier for my job, and I heard two seperate (minor) characters whose voice actor voices Tai, and both sounded exactly the same. I don't know how much effort was put into dubs in shows like Digimon, considering half the cast is the same, but it was kind of awkward to hear. Meanwhile, I looked up one of the other voice actors to see she's done some pretty different voices throughout the Digimon seasons, and that was cool to see.

Man, idk, I just really want to see voice actor's expanding their range rather than seemingly auto-piloting through shows. Both Japanese and English VAs.

What's interesting about that statement is that if you mean Tai from the beginning of Digimon, Brian Donovan voices him, whom I listed as one of the actors who doesn't have much range and is easily identifiable. (I do think that he performs well though, just that range is one of his weaknesses.)

It is also possible that some voice directors are telling the actors to use a voice they had previously used for some other role or that they were cast BECAUSE their signature voice suits the character so well (which would be them getting typecast).
noriah

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We have Steam for back catalog anime. In fact, we have several: iTunes, Amazon Video, XBox Live and PSN all offer pay-by-show download options with permanent ownership.

Also there's anime on steam! The video section has an anime category.
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Released_DESC&tags=4085&category1=992
About $1/ep if you buy episodes a la carte, with a season bundle 30% off, a lot of them are a little under $9

I think they're mostly shows that were on Crunchyroll, but if you only watch a few shows per season, it could be worthwhile. Especially if you are just catching up on backlog. Even more so if you already have a Steam account and use it regularly enough to already have saved payment info.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

What's interesting about that statement is that if you mean Tai from the beginning of Digimon, Brian Donovan voices him, whom I listed as one of the actors who doesn't have much range and is easily identifiable. (I do think that he performs well though, just that range is one of his weaknesses.)

It is also possible that some voice directors are telling the actors to use a voice they had previously used for some other role or that they were cast BECAUSE their signature voice suits the character so well (which would be them getting typecast).

Ah, no, Brian Donovan voiced Davis, not Tai. That said, there was another minor character voiced by him in Frontier, but he hardly spoke so I couldn't tell if he sounded like Davis.
I was referring to Joshua Seth. Not sure what his range outside of Digimon is like. (Or if he did stuff outside of Digimon.)

(As a side note, looking up Brian Donovan just now taught me he also voiced Rock Lee. Now I'm either going to hear Davis all the time when I hear Dub Lee, or hear Rock Lee if I watched Digimon 2 again...)

I don't doubt some voice director's just want the same thing over and over. If it fits, it fits, I guess.
Guile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Besides, the most popular fansubs are the speed-subs, who are even MORE rushed than the ones handling the simulcasts (and don't necessarily do a better job). Don't be fooled by the increased swearing in fansubs. Some of them are added in by the fansubbers either because they can't translate something or to make it feel more edgy. (Japanese swearing works pretty differently than English swearing too, making a direct translation technically impossible.)

American companies love adding in swearing far more than fansubbers do since Americans love swearing. Hearing the dubs for Gakkō no Kaidan and Panty and Stocking were cringeworthy with how much profanity was used. On the other side you get translations of anime like Pocket Monsters, Digimon Adventure or Yu-Gi-Oh! who refuse to even acknowledge death, let alone let someone say 'damn' or hell. Fansubs are in the middle and do things pretty literally.

Last edited by Guile on Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:46 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Ah, no, Brian Donovan voiced Davis, not Tai. That said, there was another minor character voiced by him in Frontier, but he hardly spoke so I couldn't tell if he sounded like Davis.
I was referring to Joshua Seth. Not sure what his range outside of Digimon is like.

(As a side note, looking up Brian Donovan just now taught me he also voiced Rock Lee. Now I'm either going to hear Davis all the time when I hear Dub Lee, or hear Rock Lee if I watched Digimon 2 again...)

I don't doubt some voice director's just want the same thing over and over. If it fits, it fits, I guess.

You are absolutely right. Brian Donovan and Joshua Seth are two people I often confuse for each other. That was my mistake. I just think of Brian Donovan because the cast list for one of the Naruto video games erroneously credits him as voicing Tsunade.

I would guess the environment in English anime dubbing being much different than in Japanese can also be a factor. The main thing I can recall is that in Japan, all of the actors for a particular scene will perform together, whereas English-language voice actors rarely have time for that so they're recorded one character at a time, or if the voice actor's good, then all of the characters voiced by that person (such as with Mr. Burns and Smithers in The Simpsons, whom I believe are both voiced by Hank Azaria). Having them react to each other's lines in person would most certainly affect the way they're delivered, but it's also a lot more expensive because everyone has to be free for that session.

Guile wrote:
American companies love adding in swearing far more than fansubbers do since Americans love swearing. Hearing the dubs for Gakkō no Kaidan and Panty and Stocking were cringeworthy with how much profanity was used. On the other side you get translations of anime like Pocket Monsters, Digimon Adventure or Yu-Gi-Oh! who refuse to even acknowledge death, let alone let someone say 'damn' or hell. Fansubs are in the middle and do things pretty literally.

Not sure about the former, but the swearing was added into Panty and Stocking on request of Hiroyuki Imaishi and the rest of the staff, as they wanted a lot of swearing but didn't know enough English vulgarity to put in what they wanted.

Last edited by leafy sea dragon on Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
You are absolutely right. Brian Donovan and Joshua Seth are two people I often confuse for each other. That was my mistake. I just think of Brian Donovan because the cast list for one of the Naruto video games erroneously credits him as voicing Tsunade.

I would guess the environment in English anime dubbing being much different than in Japanese can also be a factor. The main thing I can recall is that in Japan, all of the actors for a particular scene will perform together, whereas English-language voice actors rarely have time for that so they're recorded one character at a time, or if the voice actor's good, then all of the characters voiced by that person (such as with Mr. Burns and Smithers in The Simpsons, whom I believe are both voiced by Hank Azaria). Having them react to each other's lines in person would most certainly affect the way they're delivered, but it's also a lot more expensive because everyone has to be free for that session.

To be fair, they sound sort of similar.

Credited as Tsunade? Gosh, now that is very erroneous. Embarassed

Yeah, I think that may be part of it. It's harder to bounce off people and get a good feel for how everyone's performing when you're recording by yourself.
Also, I think the talent pool for American VAs is a bit slimmer than in Japan. There's also all those limitations with which company is dubbing what and which voice actors are tied to which agency, which seems a bit stricter than in Japan.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:15 pm Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:
Answerman wrote:
Okinawan and Amami are basically not even Japanese anymore.

It seems worth pointing out that Okinawan and Amami were never "Japanese" in the first place. These are Ryukyuan languages, related to but distinct from Japanese. Because the politics of language can be quite fraught, the Ryukyuan languages are considered by Japan to be "dialects" of Japanese, but most linguists would disagree (sort of a mirror image to the way, for instance, Norway, Denmark, and Sweden pretend they're all speaking different languages). Japan doesn't have a great track record on recognizing cultural or ethnic diversity within its borders.

And let's not forget ainu, not even a japonic language anymore.

With that said...

Paiprince wrote:
Furuzaki wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:
there are a lot of countries, where 7 dollars is the minimum wage for two days.

If they are paid 3,5 dollars per day, you should realize they wouldn't even afford the technology to illegally watch shows. Stop posting troll comments.

Also, low income doesn't justify crimes. It sad and depressing that they are being severely underpaid, yes. But it still wrong to commit crimes, though if they must steal it should be food, not crap like tv-shows.

Because god knows poor people can't have hobbies and must dedicate their existence just to live the next day right?

This. I just love how many people have an America-centric notion of income. Here in Portugal, there was a national student-owned computer program a decade ago. A already present economic crisis [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010–14_Portuguese_financial_crisis]erupted into a new level.[/url] So yeah, right now I am using a 10-year old Toshiba Satellite L40 that can barely play Youtube (VLC Player is lighter than any browser). All this whilst ''feasting'' on barley, and owing money to a grocery store, and no prospect of getting a job anytime soon, as I am labeled a handicapped (it's just Asperger's, for Christ's sake).

So yeah, poor people can own (old/used technology). And many have interests, and those interests are the thing keeping them sane. I care for actual criminality. Under the ''crime'' analogy, homosexuals getting hanged in Saudi Arabia got what they deserved, which is not true. That goes to show how absurd that logic is.

But some people, I assume, are Ayn Rand fans.
Morry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
There are plenty of actors in both subs and dubs with impressive range, though anyone who's follower them for a decent amount of time will pick up on their range. Repetitive casting is more prominent in dubs, especially with certain studios. It's a fact of a smaller industry. But, anyone who's listened to subs the past few years alone would notice the ridiculous amount of recasting despite a supposedly ultra-competitive environment.

Not criticizing this practice, mind. Acting is as much a cult of personality as it is authenticity to the story.
myskaros

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
Paiprince wrote:
Because god knows poor people can't have hobbies and must dedicate their existence just to live the next day right?

This. I just love how many people have an America-centric notion of income. Here in Portugal, there was a national student-owned computer program a decade ago. A already present economic crisis [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010–14_Portuguese_financial_crisis]erupted into a new level.[/url] So yeah, right now I am using a 10-year old Toshiba Satellite L40 that can barely play Youtube (VLC Player is lighter than any browser). All this whilst ''feasting'' on barley, and owing money to a grocery store, and no prospect of getting a job anytime soon, as I am labeled a handicapped (it's just Asperger's, for Christ's sake).

So yeah, poor people can own (old/used technology). And many have interests, and those interests are the thing keeping them sane. I care for actual criminality. Under the ''crime'' analogy, homosexuals getting hanged in Saudi Arabia got what they deserved, which is not true. That goes to show how absurd that logic is.

But some people, I assume, are Ayn Rand fans.

As I said above in this topic, if being poor is not a valid excuse for breaking any other laws, then it's certainly no excuse to pirate anime. You just happen to have a hobby where the risk of being caught stealing it is extremely low; are you going to say that poor people who like bikes should be forgiven for stealing bikes? At least have the will to admit that you're stealing because you won't be punished for it.

Also, well done, using crimes against human kind to justify pirating your 20-minute Japanese cartoons.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
American companies love adding in swearing far more than fansubbers do since Americans love swearing. Hearing the dubs for Gakkō no Kaidan and Panty and Stocking were cringeworthy with how much profanity was used.

Uhhh... what? Did you even watch the subbed Panty & Stocking? Even the Japanese version had a lot of swearing. Imaishi outright said the show was inspired by series like Drawn Together, so it's meant to be as raunchy as possible. As for Ghost Stories, it was a case of ADV trying to save their investment. They knew the show wouldn't sell in it's original state, so they just let their staff go wild and take the piss out of it. They did the same thing with Super Milk Chan.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's already the 20th century and still why do people in Japan put censorship in BL anime/manga, for example, the latest shounen ai anime, Hitorijime My Hero, there gets a kissing scene but they won't show how the characters lips touch! Why?!

I have literally no idea of which show this asker is watching. There have been at least two (maybe even three, I'm not paying that show a lot of attention tbh) extremely visible on-screen kisses in Hitorijime my Hero so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7