• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nozomi Ent. Launches Kickstarter for Aria the Animation English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:53 am Reply with quote
Hi Ann, I'm just curious whether this kickstarter is available to people outside the US (eg. the UK), for those of us with multi-region players? Obviously the shipping costs would rise quite a bit, but I'm just seeing it's even allowed before trying to pledge.

Also, I echo the view that a Blu-ray & chipboard Box only option would be appreciated.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:26 am Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
Hi Ann, I'm just curious whether this kickstarter is available to people outside the US (eg. the UK), for those of us with multi-region players? Obviously the shipping costs would rise quite a bit, but I'm just seeing it's even allowed before trying to pledge.

Also, I echo the view that a Blu-ray & chipboard Box only option would be appreciated.

That's a question for Shawne, if you're talking about the Aria Kickstarter.

Did the Early Bird prices end at 200 backers? I was #200. lol
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:36 am Reply with quote
Now this is the sort of dub Kickstarter that makes far more sense than the Escaflowne boondoggle. I've been kind of curious about this show for a while, and this would be a fun way to spring for it. Lord knows I've sent enough money RightStuf's way over the years. Very Happy
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:13 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Look, you can argue the dub vs sub all you want but in the end people like what people like. I can name so many shows where it's a benefit to watch it dubbed if English is your first language (Black Lagoon, Full Metal Alchemist, Ergo Proxy, Oh My Edo Rocket, all come to mind). You can argue against this all you want but it doesn't change the fact that having no dub does put a show on a lower priority list than those that do. And with broadcast dubs, the shows with no dub actually get pushed lower on that list as new show come into view.
The new generation of Anime fans has been brought up on Simuldubs, and just as likely to watch a show with no dub as they are with one that has one. This isn't my generation where original language releases were rarer to see, I would bet some people now saw their first Anime subbed.

With simuldubs, they are trying to get the bigger shows, so obviously on average the most watched shows will have simuldubs. However simuldubs are not very sustainable in the long run, and eventually Funimation will have to at the very least scale down on them.

Note: I'm not having a sub vs dub debate, I'm just saying that things have changed.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:01 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Why do companies accept this garbage agreement? Hardsubs are freaking terrible and good for no one. Other companies do softsubs just fine. Most expensive? THAT, I would donate for.

Because they don't own the shows and nearly every single company in Japan now requires it. Nearly all the new blurays from Sentai, Viz, and Funimation feature locked subtitles, and it's been that way for a couple of years now. In fact, the only releases from Funimation that don't feature locked subtitles all come from Toho, or come from a period before it became a licensing requirement. The only company that doesn't lock their subtitles is Aniplex, and that's because they are owned by a Japanese parent, and their releases are often just imports of the their release.

For an FYI, here is an extensive list from FandomPost members of R1 titles that feature locked subtitles. It appears that Toho may be the only major Japanese company that doesn't require locked subtitles. https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/us-blu-ray-dvd-and-simulcast-industry-news/9296-you-re-locked-out-the-locked-subtitle-thread

And what exactly would you expect Sentai, Funimation, and Nozomi to do? Go back to strictly DVD releases? Refuse to release the products altogether, and hope that other Japanese companies don't go the Aniplex/PonyCan route?

Furthermore, these are NOT hardsubs. They are locked subtitles. There is a big difference. Hardsubs are physically encoded onto the video, or actually burned into the film files. They can't be removed by any means. Locked subs are encoded separately, but the discs are programmed to have them always play with the Japanese track. Many high end players will allow you to move the subtitles off screen. Many software based players will do the same, or even bypass the subtitle lock altogether. It's also possible to rip the video and audio files without the subtitles. It's impossible to do that with hardsubs.

I realize that if you are not particularly skilled in the computer and technology realm, that the two can be quite similar. But the number of programs and BD players that allow the subtitles to be removed has grown to be fairly extensive, and many are very user friendly.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:16 am Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:

That might be a "depending on the country" thing, but I pledged from Norway, and that was no problem at all.

I did the 95 pledge and 13 dollars were added for shipping, by the way. I know someone asked about that earlier in the thread.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:11 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
chrisc1978 wrote:
I will only watch it, if and when it gets dubbed..

I really don't understand this line of thought. You can clearly read, so why miss out on thousands of great anime just because lack of dub? The acting is factually superior on Japanese audio like 85% of the time as well. I don't understand why people knowingly avoid great anime because of a poor reason like this.

The only reason i mainly watch dub is because my time is limited and I honestly rather focus on the beautiful art and animation than to have to read all the time. Its not that I hate subs i just prefer dubs because subs is more time consuming. I do only buy dubs though, because I hate having to pay later on again when it gets a dub release.

Though ifind it pretty funny people saying that Japanese acting is superior, sure it sounds pretty amazing but do you actually UNDERSTAND Japanese? Because i dont, so I cant judge if they are good VA or not. English is not my first language so to me (most) English dubs sound amazing.I watched recent a Dutch dubbed ep of pokemon, I wanted to die.
aquadon1963

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:55 am Reply with quote
I will be donating because Im a full fledged DubLover ...and there are sooooo many highly rated OOP titles that don't have a dub ..not to mention blu-ray as well..
And its great that Nozomi / rightstuf is trying to rectify this as best they can .
You Go Nozomi !!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVED your " Irresponsible Captain Tylor" project ...
great job!

Last edited by aquadon1963 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:07 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
chrisc1978 wrote:
I will only watch it, if and when it gets dubbed..

I really don't understand this line of thought. You can clearly read, so why miss out on thousands of great anime just because lack of dub? The acting is factually superior on Japanese audio like 85% of the time as well. I don't understand why people knowingly avoid great anime because of a poor reason like this.

The only reason i mainly watch dub is because my time is limited and I honestly rather focus on the beautiful art and animation than to have to read all the time. Its not that I hate subs i just prefer dubs because subs is more time consuming. I do only buy dubs though, because I hate having to pay later on again when it gets a dub release.

Though ifind it pretty funny people saying that Japanese acting is superior, sure it sounds pretty amazing but do you actually UNDERSTAND Japanese? Because i dont, so I cant judge if they are good VA or not. English is not my first language so to me (most) English dubs sound amazing.I watched recent a Dutch dubbed ep of pokemon, I wanted to die.

Like TheMorry said my time is limited, I buy over $1000 worth of anime a year. I watch and buy some sub only but I have to cut some animes out, I always have been a little curious about this anime however if it doesn't make it on kickstarter the anime is not worth watching.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:36 am Reply with quote
aquadon1963 wrote:
I will be donating because Im a full fledged DubLover ...and there are sooooo many highly rated OOP titles that don't have a dub ..not to mention blu-ray as well..
And its great that Nazomi / rightstuf is trying to rectify this as best they can .
You Go Nazomi !!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVED your " Irresponsible Captain Tylor" project ...
great job!

Did you just re-post your message?
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:49 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure NYAV is particularly relevant here. Most of their recent productions seem to really lean heavy on their LA studio. The random stuff Media Blasters has been putting out is probably more in line, cast wise at least, for what you could expect from an NY dub.
wastrel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
Okay, I'm pledged. Not because I want the dub, because I don't listen to dubs. I haven't seen Aria yet, but I watched and loved Amanchu! last year so I'm curious about the same manga author's earlier work.

But mostly to thank the folks who put Sound of the Sky (Sora no Woto) out on BluRay. I love that show beyond reason.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:21 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

---------------

It still slightly annoys me that people only seem to think the the ONLY reason a person can prefer English voice acting is because they are too "lazy" to read, when for many, myself included it has nothing to do with the unwillingness to do so and everything to do with disliking Japanese voice acting. I'm sure Japanese voice actors are great people but for me personally, 95% of Japanese voice acting is completely insufferable, all those silly hyperbolic "Ear Bleeding" comments people use towards English voice acting well that's how I feel when I listen to Japanese voice acting just minus the silly, hyperbolic words. The high pitching grating whine nearly every female character under 35 is voiced with , the complete hammy exaggeration in delivery so many lines especially in scenes/lines that have no business being delivered with such "Emphasis" all contribute to me being unable top tolerate even 10 seconds of Japanese voice acting in most cases and I just can't take it seriously and why there are many things I refuse to watch if there's no English voice acting. There is NOTHING factual about Japanese voice acting being superior "85%" of the time it all boils down to preference and subjective opinions, there's no right and wrong way to watch something. To counter to above I ADORE Japanese singing and rarely ever skip OP/ED songs unless I just don't like the music because unlike Japanese voice acting, Japanese signing sounds beautiful and natural to me and is much more pleasurable to listen to for me.

The same reasons above I'm sure are why people who dislike English voice acting refuse to buy games/anime that do not include Japanese voice acting and I have a feeling you wouldn't bat an eye and give them the same speech to those people since they align with your preferences. Neither side is right or wrong and arguing superiority or demeaning others based off of their preferences for viewing fictional animated drawings is really petty and silly.

--------------------------

Having said the above I'm really happy with this news! This anime is always something I thought looked cute but hesitated to ever buy because of the lack of an English dub so I will happily back a little once I'm able to just like I did with Skip Beat as the more Bluray releases and English Voice acting options there are the better to me Anime smile
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:30 am Reply with quote
Having collected all the great original Aria LE DVD sets from Nozomi/RightStuf i'm conflicted about whether to back this or not...

On one hand I have no interest in a dub and I know that it simply cannot measure up to the original performances and on the other hand i'm happy to see an amazing old show get some new attention and would be happy to support that. I'm 100% sure this will clear the $110k goal, but the remaining seasons? Definitely not 100% about them being succesful, especially if dubbing all of them is a must. Interest fades over time, and if there's one thing i've learned from Anime Kickstarters it's that they tend to take a good deal of time.

If dubbing the entire show really is a must for it being released at all I think i'll just save my anibucks for other purchases. It wouldn't be all that fun to end up with just a portion of the show in BD format Sad.
Sensei Terry Silver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:36 am Reply with quote
I usually never go on board with anything Kickstarter / Go Fund Me related.....but dang it if this one doesn't tempt me. It's not really for having Aria dubbed (as it WILL sound weird at first and, honestly, I prefer the 2nd and 3rd season over the first) but rather to finally have it in blu-ray quality. The Aria trilogy is in my top three of favorite anime, so it's one the of rare series I wouldn't mind double dipping for.

If there any plan to ever release the 3 OVA "epilogue" that came out a few years ago? Whether as an extra on those blu-rays or a single sub-only release by itself? That might tip the balance and make my wallet bleed money Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6