• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Power Rangers Film Earns US$40.5 Million, Ranks #2 in Opening Weekend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:09 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Isn't Power Rangers only an American/English-speaking thing? I can't really expect it to do well in non-English speaking countries since they didn't get the Saban super sentai meets Saved By the Bell mash-up that was inexplicably popular in the 90's.

Actually the original series were redubbed into Japanese and shown there. Also there seems to be an appeal for a John Hughes movie with giant robots.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Isn't Power Rangers only an American/English-speaking thing? I can't really expect it to do well in non-English speaking countries since they didn't get the Saban super sentai meets Saved By the Bell mash-up that was inexplicably popular in the 90's.

In a funny twist of things, many of the PR series traveled back to Japan and had some of the original Japanese cast of the Sentai versions dub their counterparts. Of course, not all of them made it over, but a good amount did.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Some series did air in Japan, but that doesn't make them popular. They aired late at night and were mostly timeslot fillers, watched by older fans who usually mocked them, especially Samurai.

Sentai airs in most Asian countries, so PR is definitely a non-Asian thing mainly. I don't see why people assume it to do well in Japan, although I guess given Japan's love of cheesy action movies like Resident Evil it wouldn't be too surprising. Although Pacific Rim was a dud there, so this PR might be too dreary and serious for them. The more vocal Japanese internet citizens have been tearing it apart, though.

-Stuart Smith
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Japan will be a big maybe but I could see this movie doing very well in China given this is co-produced with a Hong Kong production company. Maybe not a 100% guarantee but it's a possibility.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Japan will be a big maybe but I could see this movie doing very well in China given this is co-produced with a Hong Kong production company. Maybe not a 100% guarantee but it's a possibility.

In addition, there's been a track record of Chinese viewers going out in droves to see special-effects-heavy action movies. The marketing for this movie falls right in line with those. (Whether they'll like it, considering there isn't that advertised action for much of the movie, is another matter completely.)
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:16 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

I'm french and was born in 1987. The ages before mine grew up with Ginga Taisen, the japanese space sherifs series, Jiban or Spectreman (metal heroes), Bioman, Liveman and Maskman (sentai, I think our children show host even guest-starred in an episode of one of them).
When the Power Rangers were brought to us (by the same society that imported the others), I think we had a few problem with those young adults "relatable problems" etc, it looked more like those US high-school sitcoms than the cool strong heroes we were used to follow. On the other hand, the youngsters born a few years later (90-94, or just a bit older) almost immediately adhered to it and soon we got a movie, comic-books, etc. The big success was mostly met by the first two shows (with this green/white guy and the gojira-like robot who were the favourites among younger schoolmates) and it progressively felt into obscurity. After the 4rth or 5th series (not sure), it ended up hidden on a children satellite exclusive channel (before that, it was on the first national channel).

There might be a resurgence since a few years because I noticed something power rangers-like, maybe the last iteration, shown on the terrestrial children channel.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Also to note: a lot of foreign countries outside of the US got their own dubbed versions of Sentai programs. They didn't get "Power Rangers" but they got the original Sentai series usually with their own theme songs and so on.

PR didn't do as well in week two, it seems.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3