• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gainax, Saudi Arabia's Arinat Make 3-Minute 'Desert Knight' Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
JoeOfTomorrow wrote:
I don't have the time nor the money to book a trip there. So, I really can't say. But I still stand by what I said about western media and how they lie about world news. I've compared facts to the claims they've made and I can honestly say anything said by Fox News or CNN is all BS.

There's a pretty strong consensus about North Korea being in the pits with human rights and governmental control, and this is not just from American news outlets.

In any case, are you saying that anything said on Fox News and CNN, you should believe the opposite? What news sources would you say we should trust?
Savion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:24 am Reply with quote
Wrial Huden wrote:
leesahlynn wrote:
I will absolute not support anything coming out of Saudi Arabia. You think the money they earn from this wont be spent there, wont benefit that economy and government? What a sick joke. The private company behind this collab shouldn't have agreed to the partnership in the first place, it was perfectly within their control and now it's in ours as the consumer.

Glad to see someone else here who doesn't fall for the politically correct BS! I don't care if this collaborative company is public or private; it originates from a part of the world where women are treated like chattel, non-Moslems are forbidden to enter Mecca, etc..

"moslems" lol. I promise you off bat, the oil used in your car, the plastics in your house and a seemingly non-exhaustive list of daily items pays way more into the pockets of the saudi government than some light hearted anime skit.
You better start writing to congress and military about their collaborations with the saudi government too.

Banken wrote:

I can't help but look at this and think.... these characters very likely have values incompatible with a liberal, secular society.

Do you think similar things when you see shows set in Japan which has a huge gender gap? (of course not as bad as saudi but you should get the point)
leesahlynn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:24 am Reply with quote
The USA imports more oil from Canada than Saudi Arabia. A lot of oil consumed here is our own, we're the third largest producer in the world. Don't try to have a political discussion if you're ignorant of the facts. Some of us DO regularly engage in the power of the consumer and make conscious choices about where our money goes. Feel free to enjoy this animation if you prefer not to, but don't come for those of us who do so with a significantly better understanding of the issue than you're displaying in response.
JoeOfTomorrow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:42 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
JoeOfTomorrow wrote:
I don't have the time nor the money to book a trip there. So, I really can't say. But I still stand by what I said about western media and how they lie about world news. I've compared facts to the claims they've made and I can honestly say anything said by Fox News or CNN is all BS.

There's a pretty strong consensus about North Korea being in the pits with human rights and governmental control, and this is not just from American news outlets.

In any case, are you saying that anything said on Fox News and CNN, you should believe the opposite? What news sources would you say we should trust?

All western news media is morally bankrupt and each cater to a certain agenda so it's hard to say where to get more accurate news. That being said, I certainly will not believe something as ridiculous as Kim Jong-un ordering all North Koreans to copy his hair style, I seriously doubt that even the most controlling of dictators have petty matters like that on their mind.
Savion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
leesahlynn wrote:
Some of us DO regularly engage in the power of the consumer and make conscious choices about where our money goes. Feel free to enjoy this animation if you prefer not to, but don't come for those of us who do so with a significantly better understanding of the issue than you're displaying in response.

Do you not buy things made in China as well? How many of the items in your house come from China (fairly authoritarian itself) whos top oil supplier is Saudi? You should check what country whatever clothes you're wearing right now come from too - wouldn't want to support sweatshop labor in Bangladesh or something.

All I'm saying is "protesting" an entire government by taking a stance against some random entertainment firm's animation isn't going to change anything about the country. Its petty and ineffective. "Lets stop American drone strikes by not watching American movies". If you don't want to watch thats fine too but don't act like its a matter of activism lol. Tbh I doubt I'll watch it either Razz but the idea isn't bad
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
JoeOfTomorrow wrote:
All western news media is morally bankrupt and each cater to a certain agenda so it's hard to say where to get more accurate news. That being said, I certainly will not believe something as ridiculous as Kim Jong-un ordering all North Koreans to copy his hair style, I seriously doubt that even the most controlling of dictators have petty matters like that on their mind.

So what are you supposed to do then? Just believe whatever you want? Make your own news outlet?
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I shouldn't say this as a Yemeni, as they're killing my brothers and sisters, but I can't hate Saudi Arabia. I have a problem with Israel, not Saudi. Israel is the one that denies me of my Arab identity, not Saudi Arabia. Israel is the one who insists I belong in it, denying me of my Arab heritage, not Saudi. Israel is the one that gives me the false-dichotomy of an "Arab" or "Jewish" identity, not Saudi.

Saudi Arabia isn't perfect, but it doesn't try to Judaize me.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
How the mighty have fallen. Gainax has made some pretty shady stuff but this is too odd.
LamoniSpindelli

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
JoeOfTomorrow wrote:
I seriously doubt that even the most controlling of dictators have petty matters like that on their mind.

You'd be surprised.

In Equatorial Guinea, the word "intellectual" was banned by its dictator, Francisco Macías Nguema. Changed the country's motto to basically that there was no other God but himself. Gets overthrown by his nephew who's just a tamer version of himself. The Qing Dynasty in China mandated the hair queues on penalty of death. They even had a proverb for it: "Not shave your forehead and lose your head, or shave your forehead and keep your head"

Dictators have been pretty notorious for wanting exact control over those they lord over. They'll come up with any excuse in the book to ensure that.

I think it's pretty safe to say that North Korea is exactly how it's described too. Western media has its problems, certainly, but the evidence leans too much towards the anti side.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3