• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Aniplex of America President Henry Goto

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I had no idea SAO was that big, I remember it getting a lot of buzz when it came out, but that seemed to of died down.

Yes SAO if very big. There are very vocal hate but that's a minority. Is a very popular title with a very big fan base, just that is not very vocal about it.
Is becoming a enter gate for new anime fans. In my case i have 2 friends that become interested in anime because of SAO.

Dr.N0 wrote:
Polycell wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:
This will never happen, so no need to worry Smile.
The concern some have is that they'll try to at least try to pander to a more global audience and drain away everything that's good about anime(think Hollywood). Goto's absolutely right that anime needs to stay Japanese or else it'll stop being anime.
So, if I follow your logic, Hollywood stole cinema from the poor French, and made it into a soulless profiteering machine, forever denying any creator from inside or outside the studio system from breaking their code, while ensuring that India and China will continue to blindly gobble the stuff, is that correct? I am sure Spielberg and Scorsese are having a good laugh from that in Cannes. Meanwhile, Japan does not care.

French movies or most Europian movies is not same as a Hollywood movies. They pander to a different audience. Most French movies continue unique and have most of their audience in France and the rest of Europe. With some exceptions most Hollywood movies are only to entertain. Is only to people have a 01:30-03:00 plus hours of distraction. And that still good, people need to have some distraction and have fun.
In the other way many French/European movies makes people think about the subject of the movie. Sometimes is boring but sometimes can be very fulfilling,

Dr.N0 wrote:
Please, can somebody explain to me how anime becoming mainstream (scoop: it already is, that is why Hollywood has taken an interest, and certainly not the other way around) has ever had damaging consequences on the medium? Because that is not what recent scholarship (surprise, the humanities and social sciences are not useless) supports.

Anime was in the beginning mostly influence by Disney and was when they add the Japanese flavor that become the thing anime fans love. If because trying to become mainstream, anime become less Japanese, it will be a step back and will lose it uniqueness and become like any other animation.

Anime is not mainstream.
Most likely Hollywood look for new sources of scripts and find anime/manga in anime conventions. and took some interest.

If anime was mainstream Hollywood would be more careful about not destroy the original source and alienate the anime/manga fan-base. Just look at the firestorm that happens every time Hollywood makes a bad adaptation of a Marvel or DC comic source. Hollywood try their best with that adaptations because they are have a big fan-base.

Hollywood can't care less when doing adaptations of anime/manga sources because they have a small fan-base. Hollywood anime/manga live action adaptations are not to pander anime/manga fans. They heavily change the story/characters to pander to a mainstream audience that don't care what the source is.

Anime is niche. Even in Japan is less mainstream than many people think.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
CCTakato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the problem is with anime being less Japanese but that anime needs to maintain its organic and natural feeling to it. Cowboy Bebop is one of the most popular anime series of all time and I don't know many fans who complain it's not Japanese enough even though it has virtually zero Japanese elements in the series. But it worked for Bebop because the creators weren't intentionally trying to make it appeal to a Western audience. They were just trying to tell a good story and happened to get lucky that Bebop appealed to so many Western fans. In contrast, you have something like Space Dandy where it seemed like Watanabe was intentionally trying to make it appeal to Western fans. And while it did get a pretty decent amount of positive buzz and was enjoyable enough, it failed to reach the Bebop level of quality. Mainstream anime resonates with so many Western fans because they're not intentionally trying to "save anime" but are just telling a great story that's coming from their heart and anime fans can sense when that natural quality storytelling instinct is genuine whether it's being made with distinctive Japanese qualities or not.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:

If people who purchase extremely niche products for a premium price are "monsters" then what do you call ACTUAL monsters like child predators, murderer's etc...? Do these same feelings extend to people who purchase luxury cars that sell for tens of thousands more then regular consumer models or people who spend $1000+ on a night of alcohol? Or how about the actual Japanese market whose prices are easily more then double anything AoA charges for pretty much every single anime and is the market that actually matters to Japan aka the one keeping anime alive all these years, are every single one of those Japanese fans who has ever bought an anime in Japan "monsters" as well?

In short... yes. Absolutely.

The Japanese shouldn't have to pay those prices, either. That extra chunk of change certainly isn't going back into the product. Animators make almost nothing and that's because industry fat cats are padding their own pockets. A top-heavy industry with no respect for its workers or its customers. The greed of these companies are to blame, and it's the people who buy these prestige releases who are enabling them.

I have zero compunction calling these people out for their ludicrous spending habits which are ruining things for everyone else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
I don't think the problem is with anime being less Japanese but that anime needs to maintain its organic and natural feeling to it. Cowboy Bebop is one of the most popular anime series of all time and I don't know many fans who complain it's not Japanese enough even though it has virtually zero Japanese elements in the series. But it worked for Bebop because the creators weren't intentionally trying to make it appeal to a Western audience. They were just trying to tell a good story and happened to get lucky that Bebop appealed to so many Western fans. In contrast, you have something like Space Dandy where it seemed like Watanabe was intentionally trying to make it appeal to Western fans. And while it did get a pretty decent amount of positive buzz and was enjoyable enough, it failed to reach the Bebop level of quality. Mainstream anime resonates with so many Western fans because they're not intentionally trying to "save anime" but are just telling a great story that's coming from their heart and anime fans can sense when that natural quality storytelling instinct is genuine whether it's being made with distinctive Japanese qualities or not.

Cowboy Bebop and Space Dandy don't have much success except in North America, so anime like that will only have success there.

In Japan Cowboy Bebop win some VA and character prizes but the TV ratings was low and Space Dandy was even worse.

penguintruth wrote:
he Japanese shouldn't have to pay those prices, either. That extra chunk of change certainly isn't going back into the product. Animators make almost nothing and that's because industry fat cats are padding their own pockets. A top-heavy industry with no respect for its workers or its customers. The greed of these companies are to blame, and it's the people who buy these prestige releases who are enabling them.

I have zero compunction calling these people out for their ludicrous spending habits which are ruining things for everyone else.

But is them that are helping maintaining the numbers of anime made.
Without them we had lot less anime by season.
Is because of this big spender fans and the LN/manga advertising that we have so many anime for season.

Is something cultural. In Japan people pay $1.76 Million for a 222-kilogram tuna $27,240 for a pair of melons and $11000 for a bunch of grapes. So that anime BD prices is something they don't care to pay.

The main problem is that less people are buying BD/DVD. Things are going digital and the streaming licensing prices are not going to stay this high forever.
So what remains will be the hard core collectors and them don't mind pay this prices.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Cowboy Bebop and Space Dandy don't have much success except in North America, so anime like that will only have success there.

In Japan Cowboy Bebop win some VA and character prizes but the TV ratings was low and Space Dandy was even worse..
Bebop did well after show was re-broadcast in its original order. And it did sell 48k copies(source:http://www.someanithing.com/312), it just didn't last, which seems to be a thing over there, and maybe over here as well in the future now we have simulcast. No one expected Dandy to do well, but it was surprising how badly it did.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:

In Japan Cowboy Bebop win some VA and character prizes but the TV ratings was low and Space Dandy was even worse..
Bebop did well after show was re-broadcast in its original order. And it did sell 48k copies(source:http://www.someanithing.com/312), it just didn't last, which seems to be a thing over there, and maybe over here as well in the future now we have simulcast. No one expected Dandy to do well, but it was surprising how badly it did.

Didn't know that. I only know that didn't have good TV ratings. Thanks for the info.

Yes looking at Space Dandy i don't see much success for it outside of North America fan-base.

Anime have a unique Japanese taste, Japanese way if telling a story and Japanese humor. Trying to become something else to appeal to a mainstream audience will only alienate the main anime fan-base and become like any other animation.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:49 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
and it's the people who buy these prestige releases who are enabling them.

Yes because god forbid fans actually want to buy product from the shows they like and are willing to pay those prices because that's the only main option they have. What a horrible attitude right? Totally their fault.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Violynne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:34 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Yes because god forbid fans actually want to buy product from the shows they like and are willing to pay those prices because that's the only main option they have. What a horrible attitude right? Totally their fault.

Let's see how this idiotic comment fares when you walk up to the people who actually make the anime and tell them how much the overpriced goods are making their way to their paycheck all the while Goto's worth has continued to increase over the years.

There's a fine line between supporting the industry and supporting the incessant greed that's been growing in it the past few years.

Don't pretend the increased licensing fees is to cover these artists' salaries, which is precisely what this idiotic comment just stated.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:00 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
I'm glad to hear that that the anime fan community is growing, but I cannot help but entertain some serious doubts about the likelihood of anime becoming a mainstream cultural keystone in the U.S. IMHO, if anime were to somehow attain mainstream status/popularity, it could only do so by transforming into something that it isn't right now.

My 2¢

Quote:
Anime have a unique Japanese taste, Japanese way if telling a story and Japanese humor. Trying to become something else to appeal to a mainstream audience will only alienate the main anime fan-base and become like any other animation.

So anime needs to avoid being mainstream because live action movies and americanization? Those are awful thinkings that people have. Some american remakes of foreign properties have worked pretty well.

With the live action case, people need to know that so far Hollywood has 6 released adaptations:
-Crying Freeman, which is decent
-Two Guyver Movies, one of them with Luke Skywalker but it is bad, but the second somehow is better
-Fist of the North Star, obviously bad
-Dragon Ball Evolution
-Speed Racer, either you appreciate the efforts in CGI and Racing Scenes, or you don´t watch it because obvious reason
-Kite
-Edge of Tomorrow, based on the light novel All you Need is Kill, the best product so far

But people are still saying that Americans must not touch something as if there are like 50 released products. I just think that we overreact over things
VeritasJohns

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:25 am Reply with quote
Just made an account on here to express that this "interview" is one of the more disgusting things I've read recently when journalism is concerted - and I've been keeping up with Drumpf's cocktail sausage finger antics!

The questions were utterly gutless. Not a single one was aimed towards the quality of AoA's releases, or the decisions that go into the releases themselves - what gets subbed, and why such subpar extras.

That's nothing to say of the absoludicrous prices. Not even a mention or passing question.

But considering the fact that every other ad on ANN is an Aniplex product, I'm gonna have to have the (safe!) assumption that you guys are quite cozy throwing not even softballs. F**k's sake, this wasn't even an interview - this was just an advertisement. "Hey! Check these guys out! Go buy their stuff! LAUGHING! They're really quite funny! And buy their stuff while you're at it."

[Note: This post was originally moderated due to it's extremely aggressive tone. The post is somewhat borderline, and had the poster been attacking another ANN reader with this tone I would have agreed with moderating it. However since the target of the poster's ire is ANN, I feel that there is no need to moderate it. We're thick skinned, and as long as people criticize our content, and do not attack the writers themselves, we'll be more lenient with the moderation. -t]
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Violynne wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

Let's see how this idiotic comment fares when you walk up to the people who actually make the anime and tell them how much the overpriced goods are making their way to their paycheck all the while Goto's worth has continued to increase over the years.

There's a fine line between supporting the industry and supporting the incessant greed that's been growing in it the past few years.

Don't pretend the increased licensing fees is to cover these artists' salaries, which is precisely what this idiotic comment just stated.

Psycho 101 never said anything like that. Where the money goes after the purchase wasn't mentioned even once. Though some of it does end up back with the creators, directly, or indirectly. Economics sure doesn't seem to be a strength of many anime fans.
The simple fact is that, if you want to own a show AoA has the license for, you have to pay the price they are selling it for. It's certainly not ideal, but that is how it is. Blaming the fans, or calling them "monsters", because they bought one of those shows is ridiculous on many levels. It also comes across as a 12 year old's temper tantrum. If you take anime so seriously that you hate other fans because of their spending habits, you should step away for a while. This is a disposable piece of luxury entertainment, not a necessity of life. What other people decide to do with their disposable income is totally nobody else's business.

You should stop calling people "idiots", that's really rude.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:59 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
nobahn wrote:
I'm glad to hear that that the anime fan community is growing, but I cannot help but entertain some serious doubts about the likelihood of anime becoming a mainstream cultural keystone in the U.S. IMHO, if anime were to somehow attain mainstream status/popularity, it could only do so by transforming into something that it isn't right now.

My 2¢

Quote:

So anime needs to avoid being mainstream because live action movies and americanization? Those are awful thinkings that people have. Some american remakes of foreign properties have worked pretty well.

With the live action case, people need to know that so far Hollywood has 6 released adaptations:
-Crying Freeman, which is decent
-Two Guyver Movies, one of them with Luke Skywalker but it is bad, but the second somehow is better
-Fist of the North Star, obviously bad
-Dragon Ball Evolution
-Speed Racer, either you appreciate the efforts in CGI and Racing Scenes, or you don´t watch it because obvious reason
-Kite
-Edge of Tomorrow, based on the light novel All you Need is Kill, the best product so far

But people are still saying that Americans must not touch something as if there are like 50 released products. I just think that we overreact over things

-Crying Freeman This movie was a Japan/Canadian movie with involvement of Toei.
-Two Guyver Movies I agree, the second is a little better, but not much.
-Fist of the North Star Bad!
-Dragon Ball Evolution The movie was a joke, a complete disaster.
-Speed Racer A CGI nightmare.
-Kite Never watched but i try looking for reviews. 0% on rottentomatoes.com and 19% on metacritic.com. That's say all about the movie.
-Edge of Tomorrow, probably the only decent.

So at least for me the conclusion is let anime/manga stay true to the Japanese source and try not to ruin it when doing Hollywood adaptations.
If the mainstream audience like anime/manga the way it is, that's great, but anime/manga don't need to change just to become mainstream.

Violynne wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
Yes because god forbid fans actually want to buy product from the shows they like and are willing to pay those prices because that's the only main option they have. What a horrible attitude right? Totally their fault. Rolling Eyes

My advice is to look for why the prices are so high in Japan.

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-07
Part2 The High Prices... Explained!

The prices are what the fans are willing to pay. Even when the companies try lower the prices, the sales didn't go up.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:07 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Violynne wrote:

Psycho 101 never said anything like that. Where the money goes after the purchase wasn't mentioned even once. Though some of it does end up back with the creators, directly, or indirectly. Economics sure doesn't seem to be a strength of many anime fans.
The simple fact is that, if you want to own a show AoA has the license for, you have to pay the price they are selling it for. It's certainly not ideal, but that is how it is. Blaming the fans, or calling them "monsters", because they bought one of those shows is ridiculous on many levels..

As Relyat pointed out I quite clearly said no such thing like what you are claiming. So please forgo with the strawman arguments if you will. My point was exactly what Relyat just re-iterated.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
Some american remakes of foreign properties have worked pretty well.

Everything you mentioned spits on the original, ESPECIALLY Speed Racer and Dragon Ball Evolution. We don't want to see more. Those six are bad enough.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
SkerllyF wrote:
Some american remakes of foreign properties have worked pretty well.

Everything you mentioned spits on the original, ESPECIALLY Speed Racer and Dragon Ball Evolution. We don't want to see more. Those six are bad enough.

Quote:
So at least for me the conclusion is let anime/manga stay true to the Japanese source and try not to ruin it when doing Hollywood adaptations.
If the mainstream audience like anime/manga the way it is, that's great, but anime/manga don't need to change just to become mainstream.

I still think we are close minded with some concepts. Anime can become mainstream without having LA adaptations. Something like Bakuman should be on american TV because it teaches people some truths behind comic industry. If anime is not mainstream, it will always be seen as either something for perverts, for man-childs or something diabolical. Not all anime is DBZ or Berserk and more people should know this.

@DmonHiro I respect that you didn´t like Edge of Tomorrow, but like some other people with something they don´t like , just because you didn´t like it means is a bad movie universally. It has its good reception. We just need people that care, not to say we don´t need hollywood adaptations. Japan is taking the risks with some movies having good reception, so USA can too.

If you think I offended you by saying this you must at least assimilate the truth, because these types of commentaries some people see them as offensive when they are not. They always want to hear what they like, not what they should know
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6